AR15 for Varmint hunting? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : AR15 for Varmint hunting?

Cole125
03-12-2012, 19:10
I am looking for a super accurate upper or complete AR15 .223 rifle to use for long range varmint hunting and paper punching. Looking for something in the 20 to 24 inch barrel range that will group under 2 inches at 200 yards. Any suggestions on brands or models? Thanks.

TJarv
03-12-2012, 19:13
I am looking for a super accurate upper or complete AR15 .223 rifle to use for long range varmint hunting and paper punching. Looking for something in the 20 to 24 inch barrel range that will group under 2 inches at 200 yards. Any suggestions on brands or models? Thanks.

I built mine and can hit a 1 inch group all day at 100 yards.

Sent from my pay phone.

WoodenPlank
03-12-2012, 19:45
No need to go past 20". Unless you're using handloads specific to it, a 24" barrel will give you 0 extra velocity over a 20", and in some cases you'll even lose a few FPS. An 18-20" barrel really is the sweet spot for maximizing velocity.

faawrenchbndr
03-12-2012, 19:47
Rock River Arms has a 20" Varmint upper that kicks ***!

WoodenPlank
03-12-2012, 19:48
Rock River Arms has a 20" Varmint upper that kicks ***!

My dad has one of their 20" varmint uppers. I seem to remember he was getting sob-MOA groups with Hornady 75gr Match loads and a cheap Wal-Mart scope.

faawrenchbndr
03-12-2012, 20:42
There was a rather heated thread about this a while back.
Some seemed to think the additional 3 pounds that a bull
barrel would make a rifle too darn heavy. I say get your
fat can off the couch and into the gym!

A RRA with a 20" bull barrel is a great shooter!

cjkranz
03-12-2012, 20:52

I can personally vouch for that!!!

The Pirate
03-12-2012, 21:00

Haha, I started that thread and here's what I ended up with:

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g353/boostd54/DSCN2509.jpg

RRA coyote rifle upper, RRA lower w/ 2 stage trigger. Millet DMS-1 with Burris P.E.P.R. mount. I'm real happy with it, shoots great. Packed it around most of the day today no problem.

bmoore
03-12-2012, 21:16

Wrong, try again. I (and some others) said that the extra 3 pounds gives you absolutely zero benefit over a traditional barrel for hunting purposes. But hey those bull barrels look cool, and thats all that matters. They make you look like you know what your doing, dude that guy must be the super predator caller................hes got a bull barrel.

And your right, I totally forgot because this is the internet and everyone besides you is fat. And if people actually put their calling rig together by using their brain trying to shave off pounds that are not needed then the problem is simple, they just need to get into the gym. Im actually gonna take a Fender amp on my stand tomorrow to really get that Woodpecker distress out there, I mean why take just the Foxpro when you can take a Fender hotrod deluxe amp? You need to hit the gym if you take just a Foxpro.

And again just throw this info in the garbage because its actually coming from someone who predator calls, not somebody who just talks about it. Or even more importantly, not someone who sits in a deer stand all day with a cup of coffe and a Bass fishing magazine.

Cole125
03-12-2012, 21:30
Thanks for the input guys! I'll look into the RRA with a 20" bull barrel. Any other suggestions?

So going over 20" you gain nothing at all in terms of accuracy?

faawrenchbndr
03-12-2012, 21:34
Five or six years ago I would have also suggested the Varmint model
from Bushmaster, however their QC has been lacking the last few years.

bmoore
03-12-2012, 21:36
Thanks for the input guys! I'll look into the RRA with a 20" bull barrel. Any other suggestions?

If your set on the AR platform, I would go with the RRA. Im a big bolt 22-250 fan so thats what my advice would be but its all about what you want. They both will drive nails.

faawrenchbndr
03-12-2012, 21:37
Model 1 Sales have some Varmint models as well, however
I can not/will not recommend them. Unless they have
changed in the last few years.

steve1911
03-12-2012, 21:53
www.whiteoakarmament.com makes a great varmint rig check them out also.

1911club#410

WoodenPlank
03-12-2012, 21:57

Accuracy in 5.56 is mainly a product of bullet design, barrel quality, and velocity. I've seen SBRs hold sub-MOA groups at 100+ yards before, because it was a quality barrel with quality ammo. A quality 20" barrel, with the right ammo, will probably be more accurate than you will.

Velocity begins to drop off with barrels longer than 20". Most 5.56 loads are optimized for 16-20".

farmer2
03-12-2012, 22:31
Wrong, try again. I (and some others) said that the extra 3 pounds gives you absolutely zero benefit over a traditional barrel for hunting purposes. But hey those bull barrels look cool, and thats all that matters. They make you look like you know what your doing, dude that guy must be the super predator caller................hes got a bull barrel.

And your right, I totally forgot because this is the internet and everyone besides you is fat. And if people actually put their calling rig together by using their brain trying to shave off pounds that are not needed then the problem is simple, they just need to get into the gym. Im actually gonna take a Fender amp on my stand tomorrow to really get that Woodpecker distress out there, I mean why take just the Foxpro when you can take a Fender hotrod deluxe amp? You need to hit the gym if you take just a Foxpro.

And again just throw this info in the garbage because its actually coming from someone who predator calls, not somebody who just talks about it. Or even more importantly, not someone who sits in a deer stand all day with a cup of coffe and a Bass fishing magazine.

I was one of the "others" agreeing that a bull barrel provides no advantages to a standard ar barrel when hunting coyotes. faawrenchbndr almost always makes very informative helpful posts. However, I have to agree that the "anyone that doesn't want to carry a bull barrel needs to got to the gym" comment is very silly. I'm in great shape and could carry a 50# gun all day if it gave me an advantage, but in this case it provides no measurable improvement. Any High quality upper with a free-float handguard (and many without) will meet the requirements that you specify. However, I will add that a good trigger will help you more in the accuracy department than any barrel, handguard, or upper you can buy.

farmer2

faawrenchbndr
03-12-2012, 22:36
I was one of the "others" agreeing that a bull barrel provides no advantages to a standard ar barrel when hunting coyotes. faawrenchbndr almost always makes very informative helpful posts. However, I have to agree that the "anyone that doesn't want to carry a bull barrel needs to got to the gym" comment is very silly. I'm in great shape and could carry a 50# gun all day if it gave me an advantage, but in this case it provides no measurable improvement. Any High quality upper with a free-float handguard (and many without) will meet the requirements that you specify. However, I will add that a good trigger will help you more in the accuracy department than any barrel, handguard, or upper you can buy.

farmer2

Now there is an informative, intellegent and well thought out comment. I can see YOUR point, I can agree with it to a point. But I feel a "bull barrel" brings SO much more to the table than just weight. And this is based upon MY shooting experience, not other's opinions & reviews.

Good, bad or ugly,........it's my opinion.

Cole125
03-13-2012, 19:06
Well fellows I think I made up my mind that I want to buy the Rock River 20 inch upper.

Who is a good online retailer to buy this upper from?

The Pirate
03-13-2012, 19:42
Well fellows I think I made up my mind that I want to buy the Rock River 20 inch upper.

Who is a good online retailer to buy this upper from?

I bought the one posted above from PK Firearms. I ordered it on monday and recieved it on wednesday. Fastest service I've ever had on something like this. Good luck

Cole125
03-13-2012, 20:26
Thanks for the heads up, that looks like a good retailer. Also how do you like the Burris P.E.P.R. mount? I am trying to put together a upper package to buy, scope, mount scope and bi-pod.

Also suggestions on a sub $400 scope for the setup would be welcome. I have considered the Nikon M223, is there anything better in the price range?

I'll use it on one of the lowers I have for now, but in the future I'll build a dedicated lower for it.

The Pirate
03-13-2012, 22:18
Thanks for the heads up, that looks like a good retailer. Also how do you like the Burris P.E.P.R. mount? I am trying to put together a upper package to buy, scope, mount scope and bi-pod.

Also suggestions on a sub $400 scope for the setup would be welcome. I have considered the Nikon M223, is there anything better in the price range?

I'll use it on one of the lowers I have for now, but in the future I'll build a dedicated lower for it.

I've been really happy with PK's service so far.

I really like the Burris mount. I'm not sure really what it gains me over some nice rings, it's quite a bit heavier than a couple rings for sure. It is really solid and gets my sight picture where it needs to be.

I think scopes are pretty much personal preference once you get to a scope in your price range. Your gonna get good quality as long as you do a few minutes of research. I have never had a low power scope before the DMS on the pic a few posts up, but I couldn't be happier. I havn't shot it over 100 yards yet, but I think it will be fine.

faawrenchbndr
03-13-2012, 22:24
PK Firearms is good to go!

country85
03-13-2012, 22:45
My 20in heavy barrel(not bull barrel) does just fine, it's .950 under the handguards and drops to .750 at the gas block, 1 in 8 twist, model one sales, puts em in a 2.5 inch group at 200 with cheap stuff, run some 60 gr vmax through it and it really tightens up, just my two cents

whitebread
03-14-2012, 06:20
I don't think you even need a 20" or varmint specific gun to hold 1MOA, you just need a quality rifle. My out of the box 16" Daniel Defense holds between .6 and .85 MOA any day of the week when using match grade ammo.

The Pirate
03-14-2012, 20:00
I don't think you even need a 20" or varmint specific gun to hold 1MOA, you just need a quality rifle. My out of the box 16" Daniel Defense holds between .6 and .85 MOA any day of the week when using match grade ammo.

I'm sure it does. It's just what you want out of the rifle. I like my long AR and my short one. They both shoot great :thumbsup:

The world would be a boring place if every AR was a 16" flattop.

TexasVine
03-14-2012, 22:51
My J.P. Enterprises with a 16 inch barrel is more that sufficient at 200 yards shooting 55 grain. I used to varmit hunt with a Remington R15 which was very accurate as well but found that the 22 inch barrel was less desirable to maneuver through brush, ravines, cliffs and dense wooded areas. I currently have a Nikon Coyote Special mounted on my J.P. and have no problem shooting coyotes out at 300 yards.

Cole125
03-15-2012, 17:07
PK Firearms is good to go!

PK Firearms is great, thanks for the heads up. I ordered the RRA Varmint 20 inch last night and I got a UPS tracking number this morning.

Can't wait! Now its time to get a scope and mount... :cool:

Rick Melear
03-15-2012, 17:49
I have a PSA lower withRRA 2 stage trigger and a 16" RRA upper that is sub mia at 200 yards which is my max range.

sgtlmj
03-15-2012, 18:06
What kind of varmint hunting? If you are going to be sitting on a dog town for hours heating your barrel up, then go as heavy as you can. If it's for woodchucks and 'yotes, a medium contour barrel will work well and be a good walking varminter.

My last varmint build had a Shilen ratchet-rifled 20" tube. Medium contour, and man was it a friggin' laser! I sold it to buy this though:

OBR PredatAR 16" w/ Leupold 3-9x40
http://gallery.me.com/sgtlmj/100264/photo-204_2/web.jpg

faawrenchbndr
03-15-2012, 19:34
Sweet *** OBR! :drool:

Cole125
03-15-2012, 21:15
Sweet *** OBR! :drool:

+1 Sweet setup!!! :thumbsup:

Say, what do you guys think of the Leupold Mark AR series of scopes. I am thinking about a 4-12 or 6-18 for my RRA Varmint. Any opinions?

The Pirate
03-16-2012, 16:54

Say, what do you guys think of the Leupold Mark AR series of scopes. I am thinking about a 4-12 or 6-18 for my RRA Varmint. Any opinions?

I think the Mark AR is an awesome scope. Personally, I would go with the 4x though, if my main intention was hunting. It's going to be a little easier to track something across a field with.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Cole125
03-22-2012, 12:14
Well fellows the Rock River Arms 20 inch varmint upper I ordered came yesterday. Sure is sweet! Set it up on the lower from one of my carbines(going to build another lower for it), and put a Simmons Prohunter 3-9 I had on for now, but I am going to upgrade to a Leupold Mark AR 4-12 in the future. Got a Harris Pi-pod as well.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm245/jcole_08/IMG_0006.jpg

The Pirate
03-22-2012, 20:15
Well fellows the Rock River Arms 20 inch varmint upper I ordered came yesterday. Sure is sweet! Set it up on the lower from one of my carbines(going to build another lower for it), and put a Simmons Prohunter 3-9 I had on for now, but I am going to upgrade to a Leupold Mark AR 4-12 in the future. Got a Harris Pi-pod as well.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm245/jcole_08/IMG_0006.jpg

I like it! I've been shooting my coyote gun posted earlier and I like it more and more, I bet your gonna love that thing.

faawrenchbndr
03-22-2012, 20:36

I have a few Leupold scopes.
I have a Mark AR 1.5-4 for short distances, love it.
The Mark AR line is a good value for the money!

Rifle looks darn nice! Looks like the rings may be a bit high.
How does she shoot?

Cole125
03-22-2012, 21:36
I have a few Leupold scopes.
I have a Mark AR 1.5-4 for short distances, love it.
The Mark AR line is a good value for the money!

Rifle looks darn nice! Looks like the rings may be a bit high.
How does she shoot?

Thanks! The scope and rings are just temporary until I get better ones. I am going to get a LaRue SPR mount and as I said the Leupold Mark AR. I just got it yesterday so I haven't had a chance to shoot it, but I can't wait! :cool:

Also I was going to ask you guys, is there a barrel break in procedure I should follow?

Cole125
03-22-2012, 21:39
I like it! I've been shooting my coyote gun posted earlier and I like it more and more, I bet your gonna love that thing.

Thanks, yeah your setup is nice! I need to get out and shoot mine, but I know I am going to like it. :supergrin:

faawrenchbndr
03-22-2012, 21:40
There are a ton of different ideas on that........

Best advice google AR15 barrel break in.

WoodenPlank
03-22-2012, 22:25
Thanks! The scope and rings are just temporary until I get better ones. I am going to get a LaRue SPR mount and as I said the Leupold Mark AR. I just got it yesterday so I haven't had a chance to shoot it, but I can't wait! :cool:

Also I was going to ask you guys, is there a barrel break in procedure I should follow?

Shoot the piss out of it, clean it when it gets dirty or you get bored. You may see the groups tighten up a bit over the first couple mags if there are burrs in the throat, but that's about it. The shoot one round/clean/shoot/clean crap is a myth.

faawrenchbndr
03-22-2012, 22:33
.....The shoot one round/clean/shoot/clean crap is a myth.

Yep,.........that is one thought, many will argue that one though.

docholliday1
03-23-2012, 20:34
Here's mine:

18" Rock River Varminter (threaded for muzzle break) 1/8 twist
Nikon Monarch 4-16x42
It will shoot 75gr Hornady BTHP's .75 moa (sometimes better) and have recently loaded 53gr Hornady Vmax with several groups @100 I can cover or touch 4-5 rnds with a dime

Cole125
03-23-2012, 21:42
Shoot the piss out of it, clean it when it gets dirty or you get bored. You may see the groups tighten up a bit over the first couple mags if there are burrs in the throat, but that's about it. The shoot one round/clean/shoot/clean crap is a myth.

Yeah well thats how I have broken in my other rifles, just shoot a couple hundred rounds or more, and take it home and clean it good. Guess I'll do the same with this one...

Cole125
03-23-2012, 21:43
Here's mine:

18" Rock River Varminter (threaded for muzzle break) 1/8 twist
Nikon Monarch 4-16x42
It will shoot 75gr Hornady BTHP's .75 moa (sometimes better) and have recently loaded 53gr Hornady Vmax with several groups @100 I can cover or touch 4-5 rnds with a dime

Nice rifle man! You do the paint job yourself?

BTW nice ride too. :cool:

docholliday1
03-27-2012, 22:10
Thanks, painted the gun and the Rhino the same way. 3 base coats of ultra flat tan Krylon, then draped a mesh laundry bag over it and dusted with OD/brown