03-13-2012, 06:15
Never heard of this before.

http://www.sootoday.com/content/news/full_story.asp?StoryNumber=50683

White7
03-13-2012, 11:13
I live in Nevada happens all the time with water bottles in my work truck

1955mercury
03-13-2012, 15:48
I sent this to a friend of mine in Canada and he confirmed that it is true. His exact words were that it was true. Said he used to leave bottled beer in his truck at night and drink one on his way to work each morning. He said he had to drink it fast as soon as he opened it or it would freeze and he would have to eat the rest of it instead of drinking it.
All I can say is that it must only work up north. Because I have put beer in the freezer in cans and bottles trying to get them cold real fast and after a few, forgot about the rest of them and they all froze. The frozen cans weren't that bad, but the broken glass bottles really made a mess.

puckhead
03-13-2012, 17:16
I sent this to a friend of mine in Canada and he confirmed that it is true. His exact words were that it was true. Said he used to leave bottled beer in his truck at night and drink one on his way to work each morning. He said he had to drink it fast as soon as he opened it or it would freeze and he would have to eat the rest of it instead of drinking it.
All I can say is that it must only work up north. Because I have put beer in the freezer in cans and bottles trying to get them cold real fast and after a few, forgot about the rest of them and they all froze. The frozen cans weren't that bad, but the broken glass bottles really made a mess.

Only works up north??? wtf? It happens everywhere and has been happening for a long time. This guy in the video just found out lol

MadMonkey
03-13-2012, 17:40
...it happens anywhere it gets cold enough to freeze. Heck, I just did it a year or so ago in north Texas.

Glock2008
03-14-2012, 08:04
Its called super cooling. It works best if you set a whole case of water outside when its about 24-28 degrees. It works because the water is already below its freezing temp, and when you shake it that causes a ice crystal to form then rapidly grow.

Truffle8Shuffle
03-14-2012, 15:31
Why doesn't this happen to bottled water in my freezer at home? It just freezes solid.

Brian Lee
03-14-2012, 19:16
Why doesn't this happen to bottled water in my freezer at home? It just freezes solid.

I've made it happen in my freezer in the ice cube trays. To super cool water without it freezing first, the water has to be really really clean - as in purified water - and it has to be held very very still while it's being super cooled or else the slightest movement will set off the sudden freeze. Dirty tap water or ordinary bottle drinking water will not do it. Only distilled or purified will work.

Your freezer has to be sitting really solid on the floor so you can open the door without disturbing the water. You have to keep checking on it as the temperature keeps going down to do this.. If you happen to catch it at just the right temperature, all you have to do is tap the ice tray with your finger, and all the water will suddenly freeze right in front of you. I've done it several times and it's cool to watch. But I'm serious about how solidly your freezer has to be sitting on the floor. If it's not, opening the door will cause the freeze to happen before you get a chance to see it because you shook the water before you got your eyes on it.

Same thing can happen to clean water that has been super heated too. Get it just hot enough, then tap it with your finger, and it will try to flash into steam all at once, and you've got a small steam explosion that will throw hot water in your eyes - so be VERY careful about trying that experiment. People I know have done this by accident when heating water in a microwave oven. They open the door and just as they touch and it explodes.

A related phenomenon can be seen when a jet flies over, but instead of the con trails slowly disappearing afterward, they start growing until they turn into a cloud layer that sticks around for the rest of the day. It's because the damp air was already at a combination of temperature, humidity, and pressure that would normally cause the moisture to become visible clouds. But because the air was very very clean and was sitting very still with no wind to shake it up, the transition from invisible to visible moisture didn't take place at the expected temperature. Then a big jet comes along, heats the air and shakes the hell out of it, and the process suddenly gets triggered and continues to spread on it's own afterwards - just like the ice in the water bottle. It usually doesn't happen because the exact right combination of atmospheric conditions don't usually exist.

If more people knew this, they would have never started that bogus rumor about the government spraying chemicals on us with contrails.

Batesmotel
03-15-2012, 16:48
Dirty tap water or ordinary bottle drinking water will not do it. Only distilled or purified will work.

This. Any debris at all will give the ice crystals a matrix to slowly form on. With super cooled pure water the disturbance or shaking will smash a few tiny crystals together creating the matrix and all the other atoms follow instantly.

Same thing happens with super saturation of a chemical in a solution. You can have a chemical dissolved in a liquid and add just a single microscopic crystal and the entire thing will go to an instant solid.

larry_minn
03-19-2012, 21:55
A related phenomenon can be seen when a jet flies over, but instead of the con trails slowly disappearing afterward, they start growing until they turn into a cloud layer that sticks around for the rest of the day. It's because the damp air was already at a combination of temperature, humidity, and pressure that would normally cause the moisture to become visible clouds. But because the air was very very clean and was sitting very still with no wind to shake it up, the transition from invisible to visible moisture didn't take place at the expected temperature. Then a big jet comes along, heats the air and shakes the hell out of it, and the process suddenly gets triggered and continues to spread on it's own afterwards - just like the ice in the water bottle. It usually doesn't happen because the exact right combination of atmospheric conditions don't usually exist.

If more people knew this, they would have never started that bogus rumor about the government spraying chemicals on us with contrails.

Are you trying to ruin all the fun?

GRIMLET
03-19-2012, 22:09
Said he used to leave bottled beer in his truck at night and drink one on his way to work each morning.

Nice

Making order out of chaos