Gun Lube--be careful what Snake Oil you use. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gun Lube--be careful what Snake Oil you use.

cooden
03-13-2012, 11:04
On another forum I am a member of, the person that owns the site also owns a gun shop (if you can call an upstairs bedroom a gun shop). What would you guys think of a gun lube that was developed mixing chemicals in a blender and that has NO PROPER TESTING OR CERTIFICATION to prove it's reliablity or safety on all types of gun finishes & metals/polymers? I got banned for a day because I kept asking for the ASTM & ISO certification of the lube. The owner of the lube/site didn't like me asking technical questions. Here is a link to his product and the thead. I just like to get other gunowners views on this:

http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/allstar-tactical/25779-product-announcement-beaverlube.html

TN.Frank
03-13-2012, 11:08
I've been using Ballistol for years, it's pretty much safe for anything BUT I have heard that some cleaners will eat away and lift the nickel on plated guns. IIRC Hoppe's #9 is bad for that. Main thing is find something that works for you and stick with it.:cool:

Dave.1
03-13-2012, 11:21
cooden, thanks for the info.

I used the link and read what you and others had to say. Sounds like you made a very reasoned argument. And, I know many are always looking for the new hot product. You did what you could there but you can't fight the sheep mentality. They'll run to where the others are and bash the ones that don't.

Dave

DonD
03-13-2012, 11:45
Why mess with someone's garage recipe when so many quality products are readily available?

$8 an ounce?? They've got to be kidding. Don

dosei
03-13-2012, 12:19
BeaverLube...complete with "unique fragrance"

:faint:

NeverMore1701
03-13-2012, 12:47
Mobil 1 still works just fine for me.

.45Super-Man
03-13-2012, 13:06
I'll stick with Break free CLP and LP.

Decguns
03-13-2012, 13:17
Mobil 1 works just fine for less than $8 qt.

TNjoe
03-13-2012, 13:18
Has anyone tried Frog Lube? Just wanting to know if it's as good as avertised....

GeorgeD
03-13-2012, 13:40
If his lube is made to the same quality of his parts your gun will probably not last one mag.

I use froglube exclusively in my firearms, it is not a miracle lube. But it does work very well.

George

Bob Hafler
03-13-2012, 13:58
OK we have Frog lube,and now Beaver lube.What's next Fish Lube. http://harleytechtalk.org/htt/Smileys/classic/fishing.gif

TX expat
03-13-2012, 14:18
Lt Frank Drebin: Nice Beaver!
Jane: Thanks, I just had it stuffed.

Brian Lee
03-13-2012, 14:38
When I saw the claim of it being "stable at 750 degrees F" I knew I was reading a bunch of BS.

I knew a guy a long time ago who thought he had a really great invention because he'd mixed some powered graphite with ordinary motor oil, and he wanted to sell me some to put in my car..... I didn't do it.

SigFTW
03-13-2012, 14:54
Booger-Snot is the lube I use, I don't know why my guns keep locking up:dunno:

CMG
03-13-2012, 15:54
Damn Yankees.

:rofl:

debbert
03-13-2012, 15:58
After trying many, some of them fads, I finally found a product that I like. I use the M-Pro 7 line of products and I couldn't be happier. Thanks for the heads up about this other product, though.

.45Super-Man
03-13-2012, 17:48
I can just see the add now.........."Beaver lube", its at home in the cleaning kit or the nightstand.

Dave.1
03-13-2012, 17:58
Somebody had to say it! :rofl:

Dave

cooden
03-13-2012, 20:21
I am glad I am not crazy. Some members on that website are such sheep--the majority of the members agreed with me, but some members said that I was being so negative.

SonnyCrockett
03-14-2012, 04:08
Militec .....but I got it free and free is for me

Bob Hafler
03-14-2012, 04:23
Mobil One V twin 20/50. Because if it's good enough for my Harley motor with 60K on it and the heat that motor puts out it's darned sure good enough for my Glock.:cool:

clancy
03-14-2012, 04:46
The guy mixes te stuff up in his home, cals it Beaver Lube and says it has a unique fragrance? I would run, not walk away. He sounds like a butthole of the 1st degree.

.45Super-Man
03-14-2012, 04:51
Corrosion/rust prevention is just as critical as lubrication with firearms. Something to consider......

Bren
03-14-2012, 04:59
On another forum I am a member of, the person that owns the site also owns a gun shop (if you can call an upstairs bedroom a gun shop). What would you guys think of a gun lube that was developed mixing chemicals in a blender and that has NO PROPER TESTING OR CERTIFICATION to prove it's reliablity or safety on all types of gun finishes & metals/polymers?

I wouldn't care. It's &^%&^% gun oil - not that big a deal and you're probably using too much. At worst, I have used the grease from a piece of Bologna to lube an M-16 bolt on one occasion. Motor oil, vegetable oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil ("EVOO") all work just fine.

Bren
03-14-2012, 05:01
Mobil One V twin 20/50. Because if it's good enough for my Harley motor with 60K on it and the heat that motor puts out it's darned sure good enough for my Glock.:cool:

I've been thinking about switching to Mobil 1 synthetic (non-V-Twin) for my Harleys. A lot cheaper.

faawrenchbndr
03-14-2012, 06:30
-Lizzard Snot

3 part- ounces Mobil 1 20W50
2 part- ounces synthetic ATF
2 part- ounces Marvel Mystery Oil
1 part- ounces STP engine treatment
1 part- ounces Kano Kroil

racer88
03-14-2012, 06:56
This thread is making me laugh... beaver lube... lizard snot....

When I was an active scuba diver, there was a (mask) defogging product on the market called "Gorilla Snot." I thought it was brilliant branding. But, "beaver lube??" With a "unique fragrance?" LOL! I think I'll pass.

Brucev
03-14-2012, 07:42
[QUOTE=cooden;18705008]On another forum I am a member of, the person that owns the site also owns a gun shop (if you can call an upstairs bedroom a gun shop). What would you guys think of a gun lube that was developed mixing chemicals in a blender and that has NO PROPER TESTING OR CERTIFICATION to prove it's reliablity or safety on all types of gun finishes & metals/polymers? I got banned for a day because I kept asking for the ASTM & ISO certification of the lube. The owner of the lube/site didn't like me asking technical questions. Here is a link to his product and the thead. I just like to get other gunowners views on this:

Once upon a time one simply bought and used the various cleaning/lubircating oils sold by the various manufacturers. Go Golly... there were not little alphabet soup codes on the labels either astm or iso, etc. If you didn't like a particular solvent or oil, you just bought something else. It was no big deal. Of late it seems that everyone obsessessessesss... even about oil. If you want to try the oil... try it. If not, don't. If you want to have a chat with the developer, e-mail him. If he considers your questions to have merit, he will respond accordingly. If not, he will either decline or ignore you. He has no obligation to indulge you.

zhix
03-14-2012, 07:44
I might buy 'beaverlube' strictly for the novelty if it weren't so rediculously expensive.

I have been using Ballistol mainly, and I like enough not to feel I need to try anything else.

I used to work with a guy who was a competition shooter, said he had a recipe for home-made Shooter's Choice IIRC, but he wasn't trying to market and sell it.

toshbar
03-14-2012, 09:01
LOL. It's been almost 50 years since we've been to the moon and here we are arguing over gun lubricant.

:rofl:

SigFTW
03-14-2012, 09:14
LOL. It's been almost 50 years since we've been to the moon and here we are arguing over gun lubricant.:rofl:

Good point :rofl:

racer88
03-14-2012, 09:46
Of late it seems that everyone obsessessessesss... even about oil. If you want to try the oil... try it. If not, don't.

haha... if you want to see a REAL dust-up, go on a car forum and ask something like, "Which is better? Mobil 1 or Amsoil?"

It's like RELIGION! Worse, actually! :shocked:

Travclem
03-14-2012, 11:18
I wouldn't care. It's &^%&^% gun oil - not that big a deal and you're probably using too much. At worst, I have used the grease from a piece of Bologna to lube an M-16 bolt on one occasion. Motor oil, vegetable oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil ("EVOO") all work just fine.

That reminds me of the time we took our M16 out to a ranch that was 3 hours away and somehow got there with no oil. We really wanted to shoot so we hit up the kitchen in one of the houses. Just FYI Pam works great on a FA m16, the gun just smelled like french fries all day.

terdog
03-14-2012, 12:17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Haflerhttp://www.glocktalk.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=18708254#post18708254)
I've been thinking about switching to Mobil 1 synthetic (non-V-Twin) for my Harleys. A lot cheaper.

Ive been useing Shell Rotella full syn 5w-40. Way cheaper, and works as good. For the record, Ive used M1 for the past decade. Cost isnt allways an indicator of quality.

SC Tiger
03-14-2012, 13:20

Do you use the 20W-50? Which type?

I could only find a bottle of the 20W-50 V-twin oil around here (20W-50 isn't as popular as it used to be I guess). I haven't tried it yet.

SC Tiger
03-14-2012, 13:22
This thread is making me laugh... beaver lube... lizard snot....

When I was an active scuba diver, there was a (mask) defogging product on the market called "Gorilla Snot." I thought it was brilliant branding. But, "beaver lube??" With a "unique fragrance?" LOL! I think I'll pass.

I saw a "Gorilla Snot" somewhere but it wasn't a defogger. I don't remember what it was.

bustedknee
03-14-2012, 16:39
OK we have Frog lube,and now Beaver lube.What's next Fish Lube. http://harleytechtalk.org/htt/Smileys/classic/fishing.gif

Bear Lube

Bascally bear grease is free, and all natural.
Did you ever see a squeaky bear, with worn, rusty, or locked-up parts?
:animlol:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d98/leflers/DSCF2407.jpg

faawrenchbndr
03-14-2012, 16:42
That reminds me of the time we took our M16 out to a ranch that was 3 hours away and somehow got there with no oil. We really wanted to shoot so we hit up the kitchen in one of the houses. Just FYI Pam works great on a FA m16, the gun just smelled like french fries all day.

Hmmmm,......wonder if bacon grease would work? :dunno:

Batesmotel
03-14-2012, 16:49
You guys over think things.

Oil is oil. Show me a real world difference in lubes as they relate to guns.

I don't believe that some high tech, top of the line, super expensive wonder oil is better than CLP, LSA or other old fashioned gun oil, or motor oil for that matter.

Electrikkoolaid
03-14-2012, 17:27
The owner of the lube/site didn't like me asking technical questions. Here is a link to his product and the thead. I just like to get other gunowners views on this:

I read the other thread.

You seem to be overly concerned about the marketing of this product. What is your agenda? Do you sell a competing product or something?

Most firearms-related products are 90% hype, and gun lube is among the worst. I'm sure you've seen more than a few BS advertising claims in this industry.

At $1024 per gallon for "Beaverlube", I'll pass. (The obvious sexual innuendo is juvenile in my opinion as well.)

Mobil 1 and/or Ballistol works just fine for me.

YMMV.

Travclem
03-14-2012, 17:35
Hmmmm,......wonder if bacon grease would work? :dunno:
I'm sure it would, but then I would be too hungry to shoot.

NeverMore1701
03-14-2012, 18:03
Do you use the 20W-50? Which type?

I could only find a bottle of the 20W-50 V-twin oil around here (20W-50 isn't as popular as it used to be I guess). I haven't tried it yet.

Same 5W-30 I use in my 4Runner.

fnfalman
03-14-2012, 18:26
Come on, guys, this is 2012 and not 1912. It's time to upgrade your lubricants to "hi-tech" stuff.

I got a barrel of frou-frou juice, guarantee to have friction coefficient of zero, only $20/ounce. Navy SEALs have used some of my frou-frou juice on their guns so you know it's good to go.

bmoore
03-14-2012, 19:20
Honey badger lube.

Spydermonkey
03-14-2012, 19:51
Cooden got banned for a while there for this topic, guess he had to come here to have people tell him how awesome and right he is.

arclight610
03-14-2012, 20:34
I use synthetic 5w-30 for lubrication. For parkerized parts, like my AR-15, a light coat of CLP for corrosion resistance.

NeverMore1701
03-14-2012, 21:03
Cooden got banned for a while there for this topic, guess he had to come here to have people tell him how awesome and right he is.

So glad you're here to tell us these things.

cooden
03-14-2012, 22:43

Got banned for a day because the owner didn't want people questioning him. Figured I ask gun owners on a site he didn't own. I was asking for proof that his snake oil was tested & certified---instead I got lies and wrong answers. :dunno:

Bob Hafler
03-15-2012, 03:01
Bear Lube

Bascally bear grease is free, and all natural.
Did you ever see a squeaky bear, with worn, rusty, or locked-up parts?
:animlol:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d98/leflers/DSCF2407.jpg

Used ear wax once, gun was so quiet I couldn't hear a thing.:supergrin:

Rinspeed
03-15-2012, 10:23
12 OZ - $42

Someone needs to step away from the crack pipe. :upeyes:

bustedknee
03-15-2012, 18:39
Used ear wax once, gun was so quiet I couldn't hear a thing.:supergrin:

If we mix your ear wax with my bear grease....

could we get $42 for 12 oz?

:laughabove:

terdog
03-15-2012, 22:02
Shoot. I got some boot waterproofing thats a mix of natural honey bee wax & bear grease.

If we mix it all we could get some NATURAL HONEY BEE BEAR EAR WAX. It would sell like hot cakes!

Oh heck! I bet that would really piss off peta.

Bob Hafler
03-16-2012, 01:16
Ive been useing Shell Rotella full syn 5w-40. Way cheaper, and works as good. For the record, Ive used M1 for the past decade. Cost isnt allways an indicator of quality.

If there is one place I'm not even considering saveing a dollar is on my Harley motor. If $10 a Qt x 4 every 3 to 4 K and a new Oil filter is what it takes to keep my motor running the way it has then that's just the price of riding a Harley. What's left over in the bottles is left to drain out and used on the pistols and rifles. Been doing it for years because it works and works well. Maybe I should repackage it and call it HOG SNOT LUBE. Our motto would be "Live to shoot. Shoot to live.":rofl:

cysoto
03-16-2012, 01:54
Cooden,

I read the thread you linked to and I must say that, IMO, I agree with the timeout you got. It's OK to express an opinion and ask questions but it is clear that you were not just being argumentative, you were being darn rude.

Remember when your mom told you years ago "if you do not have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"? Well this is one of those times when that life lesson should have been applied.

cooden
03-16-2012, 05:37
Cooden,

I read the thread you linked to and I must say that, IMO, I agree with the timeout you got. It's OK to express an opinion and ask questions but it is clear that you were not just being argumentative, you were being darn rude.

Remember when your mom told you years ago "if you do not have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"? Well this is one of those times when that life lesson should have been applied.

I personally don't think asking for the proper documentation stating the claims of this product (combat tested, the next generation of top quality lube, etc) was being rude. There were a lot of threads deleted from the owners Kool Aid drinkers that said it was awesome. If you really read the thread, you will note that I never said it didn't work, I said I didn't believe the claims and that until it had proper certification I would advise not to use it because it wasn't tested on all firearm finishes/materials.

As a member of a firearm forum, I think it is every members duty to help look out for each other. Not saying something about a product because it might be rude isn't the right thing to do.

Ahmid
03-16-2012, 08:01
The slipperiest lube I have used is the Ed Brown lube. Just a few drops is all that is needed.

JBP55
03-16-2012, 09:49

Same here and Mobil 1 costs 1/15 as much as the BeaverLube.

mcf
03-16-2012, 14:56
I personally don't think asking for the proper documentation stating the claims of this product (combat tested, the next generation of top quality lube, etc) was being rude. There were a lot of threads deleted from the owners Kool Aid drinkers that said it was awesome. If you really read the thread, you will note that I never said it didn't work, I said I didn't believe the claims and that until it had proper certification I would advise not to use it because it wasn't tested on all firearm finishes/materials.

As a member of a firearm forum, I think it is every members duty to help look out for each other. Not saying something about a product because it might be rude isn't the right thing to do.

I completely agree.

It's possible (though unlikely) that this gun store owner's basement mix of who-knows-what is actually a damn good firearms lubricant. If you want to spend the money on it, go ahead. This is an untested, unproven product that was "developed" most likely with research done in wikipedia, and mixed in an uncontrolled environment. I don't see any logical reason to use this lube when there are plenty of commercially available alternatives that have been through all of the rigorous testing procedures necessary to know exactly what they will do.

GeorgeD
03-17-2012, 16:18
-Lizzard Snot

3 part- ounces Mobil 1 20W50
2 part- ounces synthetic ATF
2 part- ounces Marvel Mystery Oil
1 part- ounces STP engine treatment
1 part- ounces Kano Kroil

Where did you get his recipe? You must have good interwebs skills.

Linh40
03-17-2012, 17:00
i can see some idiot using the "The G-Spot" for his night adventures. lol

sigman69
03-18-2012, 18:26
how about but*lube? when all your friends will question your orientation :)

Spydermonkey
03-18-2012, 21:26
The rudest parts were removed by the mods, you saw the edited version

Cooden,

carbuncle
03-18-2012, 23:11
BeaverLube...complete with "unique fragrance"

:faint:

This product smells fishy to me.

3000fps
03-18-2012, 23:46
I believe Breakfree CLP does an excellent job removing rust deposits.

I believe Hoppes #9 does an excellent job removing gunpowder residue and copper residue.

I believe Ballistol does a phenomenal job of lubricating. I've been carrying this LCP every single day at work. I've had to wash the pocket holster weekly because it will start to smell like mold from getting wet and sweatted on, and the LCP hasn't shown one bit of rust, wear or spots on the metal.

I spray the gun with liquid (not aerosol) Ballistol in a "I can't believe it's not butter" bottle, and it's G2G. I swear by the stuff.

I've used it to completely break free a frozen garage door track in the winter.

If you guys want to know something really useful, we leave our screen door open during the summer (yes we carry inside)

I found out spraying the track of the screen door with PAM cooking spray makes it glide smooth as butter, and if the dog licks it she won't get sick as she would with any other CLP product. Try it out, works great and doesn't gum up. It occasionally will attract dead bugs but not bad at all.

Edit: I really don't like Frog Lube as it has to be heated to put on, and it works itself into the firing pin channel and hole and dries to a solid. Smells good but IMO that stuff is crap. Furthermore, when I leave my primary full size in the cold winters in the vehicle and carry my deep carry in to work, it gets sticky which could cause a malfunction.

gatorboy
03-19-2012, 07:58
Synthetic motor oil works well and always has for me. Hoppes #9 to clean and oil to lube. That beaverlube crap will go nowhere; good call!

gatorboy
03-19-2012, 08:05
I've never used Frog Lube and never will but that's interesting how it coagulates like that. I have used bar and chain oil before and it did the same thing with the small amounts I used. Did'nt like that and Florida never gets too cold even up here.

3000fps
03-19-2012, 10:56
I've never used Frog Lube and never will but that's interesting how it coagulates like that. I have used bar and chain oil before and it did the same thing with the small amounts I used. Did'nt like that and Florida never gets too cold even up here.

It's almost like bacon grease. When it's warm and in the pan it's liquid but when it sits at room temperature it turns into wax, which is how it comes in the tub.

Cooden does have very valid points. I just watched Dateline NBC on how companies do all sorts of crazy stuff with dangerous products to the market.

cooden
03-25-2012, 13:12
I guess I can cross ******* off my list. They are now proudly carrying BeaverLube, an untested & undocumented lubricant for firerms.

rv4driver
03-25-2012, 18:30
I spit on my guns, if it spits back, I don't do it again. KIDDING! I'M KIDDING!
Actually, if I use Mpro-7 and it doesn't spit back, I'm GTG. Haven't had one spit back yet.

Jeff
Seriously, a previous poster nailed it. Just multiply the oz. cost to equal the gallon cost, and ask yourself if you'd pay that for a gallon of ANY lube. They're guns, for cryin' out loud, not aircraft turbines!!!

Vincine
03-25-2012, 18:50
KY Jelly? Crisco?

chandne
03-25-2012, 19:06
Just started using the Frog Lube stuff. I have the paste and liquid. It SEEMS to be quite good but we will see after a few hundred rounds. Anything else that is highly regarded besides Beaver Juice? ;)

toshbar
03-25-2012, 19:29
Just lubed 32 lbs. of lead with some Lee ALOX. Mhmmmmmm!

Scratcha
03-26-2012, 09:24
I use Mobil 1 synthetic on all. It holds-up great, even under the severe heat.
When I bought my LR308; after a debate with some friends about using Mobil 1, I called Panther Arms and asked them.
The "smith"/Tech I spoke with, said it was a great idea to use Mobil 1!
It's a heck of a lot cheaper than most of the gun oils and cleaners out there.
As far as cleaning the bore; the Mobil 1 works fine, it just takes a little longer than Break-free.
On the AKs even a light coat of Lithium grease works good on the gas rod and bolt.
I makes an easier clean-up after a range-day of shooting.
Just my opinion.

notjustanothermini
03-26-2012, 18:00
i like graphite grease by gunslick and otis ultra bore solvent ( its a CLP cleaner lube protectant)

all bases covered here with these two. and maybe some LP fromt he clp guys.