Ruger MKIII STUCK Help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ruger MKIII STUCK Help

DaBurna
03-13-2012, 17:58
I was out plinking today nothing unusual, and my gun jammed. The bolt is stuck in the closed position and I can't clear the weapon!! I feel a bit uneasy b/c there's a round in the chamber! However, I think it's a dud. Either way, my gun is rendered inoperative.

Have any of u guys has this happen? How'd U get the bolt to retract? I'm kinda leery of shipping a LIVE AND LOADED GUN back to Ruger. The chances of it going off are marginal I feel, but I'm a huuuuuge believer in Mr. Murphy & His Law!! Help Guys!!!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Cole125
03-13-2012, 18:46
I have a MKIII and that has never happened to me, crazy.

I would take the gun apart and see what's wrong. If you don't know how to disassemble a MKIII theres lots of videos on youtube. In the condition its in, if you can pull the trigger and the hammer is down, you can CAREFULLY take the gun apart and inspect it.

40 0'Glock
03-13-2012, 18:52
Try removing the mainspring as you would during a normal disassembly and see if the bolt will come out. Almost sounds like the strut (the doohickey that complicates the reassembly for some) may be jammed up somehow.

AZ Jeff
03-13-2012, 18:53
I assume the hammer is down, correct? If so, start by taking out the mainspring housing, and then attempt to drive the bolt back by striking one of the "ears" with a block of wood and a hammer. That should release the cartridge. Of course, keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction while doing this!!!!

DaBurna
03-13-2012, 19:32
I'm kinda leery of trying to dissemble the gun....besides, I don't think the bolt would come out... I can't manipulate the safety either, but it fired right before the bolt seized up fully closed....

JaPes
03-13-2012, 20:01
I'm kinda leery of trying to dissemble the gun....besides, I don't think the bolt would come out... I can't manipulate the safety either, but it fired right before the bolt seized up fully closed....

If you feel uncomfortable trying to resolve the issue yourself, take it in to a qualified gunsmith. Just keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

Cole125
03-13-2012, 20:43
[QUOTE=DaBurna;18707019]I'm kinda leery of trying to dissemble the gun....besides, I don't think the bolt would come out... I can't manipulate the safety either, but it fired right before the bolt seized up fully closed..../QUOTE]

If you feel uncomfortable trying to resolve the issue yourself, take it in to a qualified gunsmith. Just keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

Yeah and make sure you inform him BEFORE you take it in there is a round in the chamber. I am sure you could resolve the problem yourself by taking it apart. Just take your time and keep it pointed in a safe direction.

Bob Hafler
03-14-2012, 03:30
I believe if you still have the mag safety on the pistol the gun could not go off if there is no mag in the pistol. You do not mention if the mag is still in the pistol or if you have done any upgrades. As others have also mentioned,I'd keep the pistol pointed in a safe direction then I'd take the main spring out. It almost sounds to me like you might have a small piece of brass or lead deposit in the pistol from one of the previous rounds or one of the rounds that was in the mag has it jammd up. What do you see in the magwell in relationship to the bolt. Is there a round jammed in there somehow? Ok now here's a long shot that could have happened although I'm not sure how. See if the internal lock has slipped on causing the gun to be in lock up mode. Take the little key that came with the pistol and check to see if somehow that might have engaged. Only other thing I can think of is if you just had the pistol apart the cross pin might have fell out of the bolt and you didn't notice it when you put it back together. Hope this helps as I'm out of ideas on what it could be. I wouldn't be afraid to take the pistol apart as long as it's kept in a safe direction. If that fails give Ruger a call and see what they have to say..

sourdough44
03-14-2012, 04:01
You need to refresh with some U-tube videos & get that gun apart. You should learn it anyway to do a good cleaning once in a while. All you have to do is go to the level in the owner's manual, bolt out. The barrel comes off too but no real need for that.

Bill Keith
03-14-2012, 13:48
First thing, take the magazine out. Next, get a piece of wood dowel from the hardware store about 14" or so that fits the barrel. Hell, an unsharpened pencil might even work. Next, put the dowel/pencil in the barrel. Push that into the barrel, using a couple of pices of 2x4 wood to push the dowel/pencil into and against the pistol. Should pop the obstructed barrel open. Good luck:wavey:

Jason D
03-14-2012, 17:17
I have heard of this happening before.
The problem that time was a piece of brass casing had lodged itself somewhere between the bolt and bolt track.

The only way to clear the gun is going to be by force.

2wheelDuke
03-14-2012, 17:33
First thing, take the magazine out. Next, get a piece of wood dowel from the hardware store about 14" or so that fits the barrel. Hell, an unsharpened pencil might even work. Next, put the dowel/pencil in the barrel. Push that into the barrel, using a couple of pices of 2x4 wood to push the dowel/pencil into and against the pistol. Should pop the obstructed barrel open. Good luck:wavey:

I'd be afraid of doing that with wood. If it breaks or splinters, you're SOL. A piece of brass cleaning rod makes more sense there.

DaBurna
03-17-2012, 20:12
Disassembled finally and have it a good cleaning....now I'm having a problem getting that stupid bolt pin back in!!:steamed:

I don't get to shoot it today for that reason, but I'll make an effort to give u guys an update of I can get it assembled to shoot it tomorrow...

Jason D
03-18-2012, 16:20
Don't forget the magazine and trigger pull bit during reassemble. That is assuming the magazine disconnect is still installed in the gun.

On a newer MKIII. I am assuming we are talking about the mainspring housing assembly pin that goes up through the lower, bolt, and upper. On a newer one. They sometimes need to be knocked out, but in as well. It usually lessens after a dozen or so removals.

DaBurna
03-18-2012, 17:01
Let it close of accident before tilting it up!:steamed:! Thinking about getting a Ruger SR 22 or M&P22 here soon..more modern design and pretty decent reviews from what I've read!

AZ Jeff
03-18-2012, 18:29
Let it close of accident before tilting it up!:steamed:! Thinking about getting a Ruger SR 22 or M&P22 here soon..more modern design and pretty decent reviews from what I've read!

Don't expect the SR22 to be anywhere near as durable as the MkIII. They are cute, and maybe sexy, if you like that term for firearms, but they are not in the same class of construction as the more traditional Ruger rimfires.

Actually, if you are bamboozled by your current pistol, you need to study the WHY's of the steps for reassembly, as well as the HOW's. Once you truly understand WHY you are doing what it is, it will be FAR easier to accomplish the task.

I have owned a MkI and a MkII over the years, and never found them hard to field strip and reassemble, mainly because I studied how the parts interacted and why certain steps must be done a certain way. Once I knew that, it became a snap.

That doesn't mean I don't make mistakes once in a while, but I know WHY I made the mistake when I do it, and that avoids frustration.

bustedknee
03-18-2012, 19:28
Disassembled finally and have it a good cleaning....now I'm having a problem getting that stupid bolt pin back in!!:steamed:

I don't get to shoot it today for that reason, but I'll make an effort to give u guys an update of I can get it assembled to shoot it tomorrow...

Any indication of what locked it up?

DaBurna
03-18-2012, 20:05
Well.... I got the mainspring housing lever closed, but that small tang is not assembled in correctly b/c I didn't tilt the gun up enough. It closed shut without the housing having that "springiness". Now I can't get the lever all the way back out of the grip to pull the housing spring/bolt rod out....:faint:

AZ Jeff
03-19-2012, 15:09
Well.... I got the mainspring housing lever closed, but that small tang is not assembled in correctly b/c I didn't tilt the gun up enough. It closed shut without the housing having that "springiness". Now I can't get the lever all the way back out of the grip to pull the housing spring/bolt rod out....:faint:
Push the bolt forward all the way, if its' not.

Make sure the hammer is DOWN by pointing the muzzle down and pulling the trigger while the magazine is in place.

Once you are certain of that, remove the magazine and pull the mainspring housing lever out. Do this WITHOUT tipping the muzzle back up.

MNBud
03-20-2012, 09:23
I have not seen many pencils that would fit into a 22 caliber barrel.:dunno:

SC Tiger
03-20-2012, 10:48

Not sure on a Mark III, but on the Mark 1 that can indicate that the hammer is down. Not an issue assuming you got the chamber cleared.

Do you know why the gun locked up? It sounds to me like the hammer strut could have jumped off of the mainspring and onto one of the pins that holds the grip frame together. There is one right under it that it tends to catch on. When the mainspring goes back in you should have resistance when the spring is about 1/4" - 3/8" from fully seated.

If it is stuck, I have used a surgical clamp or even a pair of needle-nose pliers to get it loose. You don't have to pull too hard but it won't fall off.

The Ruger Mark I/II/III series are among the best .22 pistols out there. They used to be one of the top assassination pistols for the mafia and the CIA (rumor has it anyway).

DaBurna
03-24-2012, 18:09
Back up and running took the muzzle end and banged it twice on the floor while depressing the trigger... Got the little trigger "dangling thingy" back down and reassembled. BURNED THRU 200 rounds earlier today!!! Maybe it was trying to keep me from spending money on ammo last week! Lol!!! Back in love with the Mark III .22/45 again!!

AZ Jeff
03-25-2012, 12:24
Back up and running took the muzzle end and banged it twice on the floor while depressing the trigger... Got the little trigger "dangling thingy" back down and reassembled.

The "dangly thingy" is called the hammer strut. It connects the hammer with the plunger in the top of the mainspring housing.

When you go to swing the mainspring housing into position in the backstrap of the frame, if the hammer strut does not drop into the depression where the plunger is located in the housing, you have a really cool looking non-functional pistol.

This step of Ruger reassembly TOTALLY confuses and frustrates many people. Study how the parts interact, and your confusion and frustration should go away.