Most effecient way to make your own electricity? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Most effecient way to make your own electricity?

emt1581
03-13-2012, 19:01
I've been trying to design a small solar setup that would let me do minor tasks should the power go out and/or stay out. But in searching around online and asking folks on GT that quickly went from a "Hey will this $150 kit that lots of people rave about get me there?" to a "Don't even get into the solar game unless you have a few grand to spend and don't expect much out of it" conversation. So ok...no solar.

I really don't care, I'm still curious about this damn Harbor Freight kit...I don't mind wasting the $150 just to try it!! :tongueout:

I also looked into the wind route and got a similar result consisting of people scoffing at anyone who did not live in a wind tunnel because anything other than constant gale-force wouldn't do much...so ok...no wind.

But when it comes to producing your own power (without gasoline or natural gas or oil or anything else that is not commonly found in any state for free....) what is the most efficient way to manufacture your own electricity?

I don't care if it's going all Gilligan's Island and hooking a bicycle up to a motor or something along those lines....let's see what options are out there.

Thanks

-Emt1581

Carry16
03-13-2012, 20:15
Wind is much cheaper than solar, and hydro is cheap too, if you're in the right place for either of these alternatives.

I can tell you really want that HF solar gizmo EMT, so I would suggest that you order it and let us know how it works for you. Like you say, it isn't that much money to get your feet wet and see what it can do for you.

OldSchool64
03-13-2012, 20:18
Didn't Nikola Tesla have some ideas about this???? What happened????

techiej
03-13-2012, 20:29
If you have a creek or stream a micro hydro will be your best bet. Folloeing that would be wind.

So long as your power demands are low almost anything will work for you. But you will need an inverter (pure sine wave preferred) and a large battery bank.

Rvschooner.com

RED64CJ5
03-13-2012, 21:29
But when it comes to producing your own power (without gasoline or natural gas or oil or anything else that is not commonly found in any state for free....) what is the most efficient way to manufacture your own electricity?

There are many factors to your equation, but I will give you a simple answer that will most likely fall within the most "efficient" methods available at your disposal considering total ownership costs and having reasonable power output.

A Generac/Onan "standby" home generator that runs on natural gas or propane is likely the best for your money on a modest / average person's budget. Second to that would be your tractor-PTO style or standalone 20kw+ diesel generator. Probably third to that would be the 8kw gasoline jobs you get at your big box stores.

I know you stated no gas or fuel, but I gave you efficient answers.

The Harbor Freight kit is a toy; nothing more. You can use it to trickle charge batteries for your cell phones or walkie-talkies. I use a similar one from Tractor Supply Company to charge the deep-cycle battery I use for 12V lighting in my horse barn. I also use one for charging batteries when I do portable ham radio events. 15 watts is barely worth it. You really need 50-75 to get results for long duration charging.

Donn57
03-13-2012, 21:31
If you have a creek or stream a micro hydro will be your best bet. Folloeing that would be wind.

So long as your power demands are low almost anything will work for you. But you will need an inverter (pure sine wave preferred) and a large battery bank.

Rvschooner.com

Large battery banks take a very long time to charge with solar power. Just a single battery can take days or weeks to charge depending on the output from your solar panels and the number of hours of useable sunshine per day.

There is a reason why solar and wind aren't widely used for generating electricity.

cowboy1964
03-13-2012, 21:54
There are no good, fuel-free, options. If there were the world wouldn't be in the oil and coal mess we are in.

If I lived in the right place wind or solar would be "good enough" for small uses. Wind in particular can generate quite a bit of power and it's pretty easy to scale up the size of the turbine.

lawman800
03-14-2012, 09:02
Botac has been selling solar panels good for 12v each at $20 per. Link a few together and maybe you can power a flashlight and an iPod!

techiej
03-14-2012, 09:49
The real key is how much power you need to have vs. what you are consumiung at the moment.

When we RV we can run the lights, TV and furnace off of the batteries (2x12VDC lead acid) for about 10 hours before they need to be recharged (don't let them drop below 50% SOC). On this RV the furnace, hot water and fridge can all run off of propane so the electric demand on them (electronics) is fairly low. Also, all of our lights are either flourescent or LED. If you're interested in more detail you can check our blog (http://rvschooner.com).

On our last RV (large diesel pusher) we had 4xlarge batteries (nearly 1,000 AH worth) and could go about 24 hours but also had a residential fridge an a lot more parasitic load than we do now.

While it can take quite a while to charge batteries from solar and/or other sources, what you are trying to do is store the power for use when the generating source is't readily available (i.e. at night).

Brian Lee
03-14-2012, 19:33
I once did some calculations to see how much electricity you could get if you had an exercise bicycle with an electric generator on it that you powered with your legs.

I can't remember anymore exactly how the numbers turned out, but it was something like : If Lance Armstrong pedaled the thing as hard as he could for an hour each day, even he couldn't make 10 bucks worth of electricity in a whole year.

Another one of my brilliant Ureeka moments got thrown onto my scrap heap of discarded inventions that day.

paintballwannab
03-15-2012, 19:28
If you have a creek or stream a micro hydro will be your best bet. Following that would be wind.

This, but it requires flowing water to be near by.

9jeeps
03-15-2012, 20:09
If you have close neighbors perhaps a long color coded extension cord could be acquired. Watch for sales...

SFCSMITH(RET)
03-15-2012, 20:40
The best answer is to try to wean yourself off the stuff in the first place..

The RV comment by techeij is dead on. We camp a lot in or travel trailers, and you can learn a lot about power management in a short time doing it. We have a dual battery setup, all LED lights, all our appliances can run on gas. We have gone as long as 2 weeks without a recharge.. and as short as 2 days. Weather has more to do with than everything else.. to hot or cold and you need to run the furnace or fans.. and those eat up the electricity.

Same at home. We heat with a wood stove, have been slowly changing all our bulbs out to CFL's, now cooking with gas, or on the wood stove. In the last two years we have cut our power costs by more than half, with no loss of comfort. If I could give up A/C..

Donn57
03-16-2012, 08:15

The RV comment by techeij is dead on. We camp a lot in or travel trailers, and you can learn a lot about power management in a short time doing it. We have a dual battery setup, all LED lights, all our appliances can run on gas. We have gone as long as 2 weeks without a recharge.. and as short as 2 days. Weather has more to do with than everything else.. to hot or cold and you need to run the furnace or fans.. and those eat up the electricity.

Same at home. We heat with a wood stove, have been slowly changing all our bulbs out to CFL's, now cooking with gas, or on the wood stove. In the last two years we have cut our power costs by more than half, with no loss of comfort. If I could give up A/C..

Of course the problem then shifts to making sure you have a sufficient supply of gas and firewood. No such thing as a free lunch.

bdcochran
03-16-2012, 08:56
The number one thing is to have a sense of humor.

I was raised on black and white WW2 movies about generating electricity by using a bicycle. It was used to power a radio.

Just how does humor factor in?

Well, having a radio didn't help the people in distress (keep that in mind when you think that having a shortwave radio or cb is "really" going to help you in your circumstances).

Most importantly, it is now 60 years later and despite the headlines, the political talking heads, the business news, etc., there is no cheap, effective, maintenance free way of generating electricity.

There is humor imagining spending thousands of dollars for generators, fuel, solar panels (assuming that they are not stolen, defective or broken in shtf) to power a television or a limited capacity refrigerator when you don't have the storage space (I know all the rural members have the space). A deck of cards, a carton of batteries, and some mres are much cheaper. (Can't attack me, I already have the generator and 20 gallons of gasoline that will be exhausted in a few days).

Sometimes, OP, there are no good solutions or alternatives. Do I buy things from Harbor Freight? Yes. Do I expect quality? NO. Do I expect a low cost solution from that store? Again no. The only thing that solar power might be good for is charging a few small batteries slowly.

SFCSMITH(RET)
03-16-2012, 09:37
Of course the problem then shifts to making sure you have a sufficient supply of gas and firewood. No such thing as a free lunch.

LOL.. yeah you have to have a supply of both.. turns out a 1000 gallon propane tank will keep a stove running about a decade.. and I own a bunch of hardwood forest, and because a few people know I and some friends heat with wood, I get calls frequently about down trees.

Thursday I had a call from a guy I never met, but knows someone I go to church with, about some downed trees.. myself and two buddies who think alike went over after work and bucked and loaded and hauled 4 cords, I took one, and the other two guys split the rest. (they don't have as much wood as I, but are trying to get caught up.. We will probably pull another +6 cords from this property.. So I will get another two cords laid up in a couple weeks, adding a year or two to my reserve. And yes, we have the tools, ability, and knowledge to fell, buck, split without a chainsaw.

The point isn't of a free lunch, the point is of reducing the need, and then being able to meet the need without outside help/interference.

In our case it's about layers.. In the "beginning" or in a short term event, we will go on with no change in lifestyle, we have a genny big enough to run everything.. including that darned A/C, and fuel for a month to do so. If "whatever" continues longer, or resupply is impossible, we drop down a layer.. if it lasts longer than a few months, and again no resupply is possible, we drop down another.

Donn57
03-16-2012, 10:13
In our case it's about layers.. In the "beginning" or in a short term event, we will go on with no change in lifestyle, we have a genny big enough to run everything.. including that darned A/C, and fuel for a month to do so. If "whatever" continues longer, or resupply is impossible, we drop down a layer.. if it lasts longer than a few months, and again no resupply is possible, we drop down another.

Tell me about your generator set up. Being able to have whole house electric for a month sounds pretty cool.

bdcochran
03-16-2012, 10:15
For SFCSmith: I would love to have a 1000 gallon propane tank. Costs about $1200 not including the stand and filling. Can't put one in within my backyard. Even a 250 gallon tank would be fine.

A lot of people are off into sophisticated, high tech solutions. I worked for a guy whose concept of preps was to have two extra 5 gallon propane tanks. When I reflected upon it, the idea was fairly sound. I have 4 tanks and might buy a larger one. No propane refrigerator or propane tv, but a tank will fuel a lantern, camp stove or a barbecue for quite a while.

SFCSMITH(RET)
03-16-2012, 10:29
Tell me about your generator set up. Being able to have whole house electric for a month sounds pretty cool.

'tis straight forward.

12kw genny (Generac) wired into a transfer sub panel, it's currently set to run on gas, and we have 2 250 gal storage tanks in the barn, plus 10 or so 5gallon cans, all treated with PRI-G. If run full time, which we wouldn't, it uses about 16 gallons a day. We have been contemplating a propane conversion carb for it, and plumbing it to the in-ground propane tank we already have..

We also have a small inverter genny that will run most everything, (3kw) we use it with our RV, but of course can hook it up anywhere we need it. and it sips fuel.

SFCSMITH(RET)
03-16-2012, 10:43
For SFCSmith: I would love to have a 1000 gallon propane tank. Costs about $1200 not including the stand and filling. Can't put one in within my backyard. Even a 250 gallon tank would be fine.

A lot of people are off into sophisticated, high tech solutions. I worked for a guy whose concept of preps was to have two extra 5 gallon propane tanks. When I reflected upon it, the idea was fairly sound. I have 4 tanks and might buy a larger one. No propane refrigerator or propane tv, but a tank will fuel a lantern, camp stove or a barbecue for quite a while.

When I retired, we bought our property based on a few desires.. and being able to do what ever we wanted with it was one of them.. When we first retired/built house/moved in.. we had 4 #20 propane tanks, a Ducane grill, and a kero heater with 20 gallons of kero. And a fireplace. Lots of camping gear and experience. I suspect, as I look back, even then we were more prepared than most.

We have, over the last 15 years, just expanded on that. Part of the move to the wood stove for primary heat was brought about after the '09 ice storm. We had huge amounts of tree debris to clean up, and decided to use it as heat. So we removed our prefab fireplace and built/added a place for a wood stove. The attempt to get away fro our electrical use just seems like common sense.. it just keeps getting more and more expensive.. and as I said above, the less you NEED the less you need to find/produce if supply becomes a problem.

Our electricity bill is figured on the average of your last 12 months use. 5 years ago we were paying $210 a month. This month we paid $93. We have not filled the propane tank since '08. It is still at about 70% full.

Bolster
03-16-2012, 10:47
...folks on GT that quickly went from a "Hey will this $150 kit that lots of people rave about get me there?" to a "Don't even get into the solar game unless you have a few grand to spend and don't expect much out of it" conversation. So ok...no solar.

First, it's an internet forum. People love to throw up objections. Remember the first rule of an internet forum: it exists to enhance people's self esteem. If they can build themselves up (my setup is better than yours) and chop you down (you can't get there from here), then mission accomplished.

Second, I think you should investigate solar, if you've determined other options (hydro, wind) are not for you. Solar is scalable. You can start small and add on as you go. Play around with a couple of LED lights and a battery charger at first. If you like it and want more, expand later.

G26S239
03-16-2012, 11:15
Solar and take the tax credits to bring down your monthly bills but NOT to keep your power on during an outage since it will backfeed the system and could injure or kill a lineman who is restoring power.

SFCSMITH(RET)
03-16-2012, 11:16
Yeah, sorry we got kind of side tracked there.. partly my fault.. though I stand by reducing need makes providing your own easier.

Solar is doable, and scalable. The point is, a 150 watt system won't do much.

1st, near as I can tell, and I know a few people playing with it, no solar system makes what it's rated at in actual use. 75% is running great, somewheres around 50-60% appears to be average. Storage capacity is THE key. BUT>> you have to be able to replenish that capacity.. That's is why most try for a multi linked system and advanced charge controller.

Lets say you have said 150 watt system..

you have a deep cycle battery being charged by a 150watt panel. lets say you are going to run a 60 watt 120v light bulb to read by.. and only that bulb.

You have 10-15 % overhead in your inverter, plus a 60 watt draw for the bulb. A series 27 12v deep cycle has *about* 55 amps available at full charge without draining it to far.. The bulb is going to draw about 5 amp hours, and remember, your inverter is drawing some all the time it's switched on, plus conversion losses.. so lets say5.5 ah, at 120v.. just because I don't want to do the math to get exact.. so in just 10 hours, running one bulb, you are out of power.. Your solar panel, if running at average output of 50%.. again, an optimistic number will recharge at *about* 6.25 ah. So you could stay ahead, running that one light.. as long as you never have a cloudy day or some other maladay befall your system.

Fun stuff.. mostly 12v RV related, but much knowledge and a good starting point..

12v side of life. (http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm)

SFCSMITH(RET)
03-16-2012, 11:17
but NOT to keep your power on during an outage since it will backfeed the system and could injure or kill a lineman who is restoring power.

No PROPERLY installed back-up power sytem will do that. Regardless of the system of power generation used.

OH, and while there is some danger to lineman, if they are working close enough to a backfeeding panel, the ACTUAL danger is to the homeowners property and generator when the power comes back on and backfeeds their genny. Explosions! Fire! Oh my!

Bolster
03-16-2012, 11:20
No PROPERLY installed back-up power sytem will do that. Regardless of the system of power generation used.

Agreed.

And will backfeed only if you have set it up that way. Many people choose to have their solar independent of the power company.

I like your calculation of what a 150W solar system will get you...of course that's a bit of a worst case scenario, as you'd seldom run a 100w bulb off a system like that...but you could run 8x 12w LED bulbs and have a decently lit house during an outage, for the same energy consumption. As you say, solar is not only about the "yin" of energy production, but also the "yang" of energy conservation on the using end.

That's why I think the OP should get his solar panels and play around with them. Having 8 off-grid lights during the next outage is sure better than a poke in the eye.

HEY! SFCSMITH's link on 12V above, is a good one! Well done, sir!! A great antidote to all the TV-show-discussing done on this forum. Three cheers for actual, useable content.

glockaviator
03-16-2012, 11:27
You can run some lights, maybe recharge your phone or laptop on a small solar collector and one or two marine 12v batteries for not too much. Anything but lighting takes too much power. The ski huts have this setup with wood for heat and cooking. It works. There is a 12v circuit and they have lights for after dusk until bedtime no problem. They dont have refrigerator or furnace.

For emergencies like hurricanes, get a generator and if you really want it to work smoothly, have an electrician set up a circuit so you can power your whole house with the unit. Of course there are limits, you wont be able to run everything at once and you can only run it so long as you have fuel. But you can run your refrigerator and freezer which is where the problems are. Keep in mind gasoline only lasts about a year in storage. It tends to jell or deteriorate somehow. Not sure about diesel, stored PROPERLY, it might last longer.

emt1581
03-16-2012, 11:54

True but I have my own saws/axe/kukri/maul and I can't drive more than .25mi. around here without running into LOTS of dead hardwood.

Can't do that with gas, coal, or electricity...

-Emt1581

G26S239
03-16-2012, 12:00
No PROPERLY installed back-up power sytem will do that. Regardless of the system of power generation used.I did not refer to a back up system. Properly installed and tended to being the operative terms. Such systems add a whole lot of cost and the OP referring to a $150 Harbor Freight setup led me to infer that he is not looking at big expense.

OH, and while there is some danger to lineman, if they are working close enough to a backfeeding panel, the ACTUAL danger is to the homeowners property and generator when the power comes back on and backfeeds their genny. Explosions! Fire! Oh my!Yes lots of things can go wrong which is why I am not encouraging people to get answers to a full time back up system over the internet. I am not a lineman, I am an Inside Wireman and that is possibly why I went right to improper LOTO with this since I have been in situations where tags have been hung but power not turned off. Only the ingrained habit of double checking has prevented inury on more than one occasion.

emt1581
03-16-2012, 12:09

I did buy a very nice set of cast iron pots/pans last year but I tucked those away in the preps in case we have to do without power. So those are all ready to go.

Doing it daily I'm curious how much money would we really save vs. using the electric stove/oven. Maybe I'll give it a try a few times just to get used to having no control over the temperature. That way when the SHTF we don't undercook or burn everything.

Thanks

-Emt1581

emt1581
03-16-2012, 12:19
First, it's an internet forum. People love to throw up objections. Remember the first rule of an internet forum: it exists to enhance people's self esteem. If they can build themselves up (my setup is better than yours) and chop you down (you can't get there from here), then mission accomplished.

Second, I think you should investigate solar, if you've determined other options (hydro, wind) are not for you. Solar is scalable. You can start small and add on as you go. Play around with a couple of LED lights and a battery charger at first. If you like it and want more, expand later.

This was what I planned to do. Even if the HF set was a piece of crap and broke after a year or two, for well under two bills it'd get me into the game.

I dunno we'll see...

Thanks

-Emt1581

arclight610
03-16-2012, 12:20
Wood gasifer + Generator

emt1581
03-16-2012, 12:23
Solar and take the tax credits to bring down your monthly bills but NOT to keep your power on during an outage since it will backfeed the system and could injure or kill a lineman who is restoring power.

I wouldn't get any tax credits at least not as the law is written now. Reason being that we took the credit for the wood stove last year...you can't do both.

And the purpose of this system is to give the the ability to run a light or two, modem/router, and charge our netbook. That's it.

Heat, cooking, and guns don't need electricity.

-Emt1581

emt1581
03-16-2012, 12:29
You can run some lights, maybe recharge your phone or laptop on a small solar collector and one or two marine 12v batteries for not too much. Anything but lighting takes too much power. The ski huts have this setup with wood for heat and cooking. It works. There is a 12v circuit and they have lights for after dusk until bedtime no problem. They dont have refrigerator or furnace.

For emergencies like hurricanes, get a generator and if you really want it to work smoothly, have an electrician set up a circuit so you can power your whole house with the unit. Of course there are limits, you wont be able to run everything at once and you can only run it so long as you have fuel. But you can run your refrigerator and freezer which is where the problems are. Keep in mind gasoline only lasts about a year in storage. It tends to jell or deteriorate somehow. Not sure about diesel, stored PROPERLY, it might last longer.

I do have a brand new, never run generator complete with bottled oil, cable, and gas (rotated) ready to roll... but I like options. If the power goes out, the genny runs. If that's out of gas or breaks the solar would kick in.

Thanks

-Emt1581

emt1581
03-16-2012, 12:33
Wood gasifer + Generator

I'd actually like to use whatever technology the bio-stove is using...direct heat converted to electricity sounds good to me!

I'm also wondering if there is any way to EASILY/SIMPLY turn my wood stove into a gasifier setup. I'm guessing not because nothing in the realm of electricity AND wood stoves is EVER simple...more like...the more you want to do the harder and exponentially more expensive.

-Emt1581

arclight610
03-16-2012, 15:52
I'd actually like to use whatever technology the bio-stove is using...direct heat converted to electricity sounds good to me!

I'm also wondering if there is any way to EASILY/SIMPLY turn my wood stove into a gasifier setup. I'm guessing not because nothing in the realm of electricity AND wood stoves is EVER simple...more like...the more you want to do the harder and exponentially more expensive.

-Emt1581

Wood gasifers aren't too extremely complicated to make. People in Europe were making them out of trash cans when they were occupied by the Nazis. They were also running farm tractors and trucks with wood gas. I'm sure one could easily be made out of 55 gal drums, or more, depending on your need.

emt1581
03-16-2012, 16:03
Wood gasifers aren't too extremely complicated to make. People in Europe were making them out of trash cans when they were occupied by the Nazis. They were also running farm tractors and trucks with wood gas. I'm sure one could easily be made out of 55 gal drums, or more, depending on your need.

I'd love to learn more about this stuff. I read one guy online who powered his truck with wood...c'mon...that is just freakin awesome!!!

Again, don't know enough about it...

Can ANY gasoline engine use a gasifier system or is it only certain kinds?

If it is so wonderful, why aren't a lot of people doing it?

Thanks

-Emt1581

bdcochran
03-16-2012, 16:10
Fema RR-28 July 1989. Make a wood gassifier for a tractor.:wavey:

BORNGEARHEAD
03-16-2012, 16:54
Hydroelectric

Water Power Generator - YouTube

Portable hydro

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2010-03/backpack-sized-portable-hydro-generator-takes-green-power-beyond-grid

arclight610
03-16-2012, 17:06
I'd love to learn more about this stuff. I read one guy online who powered his truck with wood...c'mon...that is just freakin awesome!!!

Again, don't know enough about it...

Can ANY gasoline engine use a gasifier system or is it only certain kinds?

If it is so wonderful, why aren't a lot of people doing it?

Thanks

-Emt1581

More people aren't doing it because you generally need access to a steady supply of wood and some land. Alot of preppers are urbab-bound folk.

You essentially have to use wood gas as its being created, because it doesn't store. It turns liquid at extremely low pressure, so you can't store alot per tank.

emt1581
03-16-2012, 17:10
Hydroelectric

Water Power Generator - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDgGvPdAuTU&list=WLFF18093AF69F8C90&index=1&feature=plpp_video)

Portable hydro

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2010-03/backpack-sized-portable-hydro-generator-takes-green-power-beyond-grid

This is why I wanted property that had running water source(s) on it. However, in this area of the state it would have been 3-4 times the price of what we paid for our home. Land is at THAT much of a premium even in this economy.

-Emt1581

emt1581
03-16-2012, 17:12
More people aren't doing it because you generally need access to a steady supply of wood and some land. Alot of preppers are urbab-bound folk.

You essentially have to use wood gas as its being created, because it doesn't store. It turns liquid at extremely low pressure, so you can't store alot per tank.

How much wood are we talking?

BTW, I'm educating myself with the gasification now...there are a LOT of good youtube vids by VictoryGasworks.

But I DO have a steady supply of wood for my wood stove I get it in cords and as I mentioned, in bad/SHTF times I can go saw/chop as much as I want.

Thanks

-Emt1581

cowboy1964
03-16-2012, 17:23
Hydroelectric

Water Power Generator - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDgGvPdAuTU&list=WLFF18093AF69F8C90&index=1&feature=plpp_video)

Very cool. 500 watts of continuous 24-hour, fuel-free power? Hard to beat that. You could charge battery banks by day, and use the batteries AND the hydro at night.

If I had such a water fall close enough that would be the way to go. You could even camo/conceal it pretty well so that it wouldn't be spotted unless someone practically tripped over it. It's noiseless (well, at least you're not going to hear it over the noise of the water) and emissionless. This would be great for an underground bunker nearby, if you could get the cable to it.

arclight610
03-17-2012, 11:07
How much wood are we talking?

BTW, I'm educating myself with the gasification now...there are a LOT of good youtube vids by VictoryGasworks.

But I DO have a steady supply of wood for my wood stove I get it in cords and as I mentioned, in bad/SHTF times I can go saw/chop as much as I want.

Thanks

-Emt1581

I wish I could help you more, but I probably know as much as you do as far as wood gas goes. I've only did a bit of internet research on it and read the FEMA instructions. It's just the first thing that popped into my head.

It should be a semi-efficient setup. I mean you use firewood to "cook" other wood. The products of cooking the wood is wood gas and charcoal. You could then probably use that charcoal to cook the next batch of wood. So it's sort of like using the poop as food.

filthy infidel
03-17-2012, 16:50
I do have a brand new, never run generator complete with bottled oil, cable, and gas (rotated) ready to roll... but I like options. If the power goes out, the genny runs. If that's out of gas or breaks the solar would kick in.

Thanks

-Emt1581

Do run that genny and see what it will do, and if it will do. Trials will enable you to set your expectations regarding capacity, fuel usage, etc. You'd be surprised how hard a microwave oven loads a genny.
Additionally, you can see and if necessary adjust output voltage.

racerford
03-17-2012, 20:22
Do run that genny and see what it will do, and if it will do. Trials will enable you to set your expectations regarding capacity, fuel usage, etc. You'd be surprised how hard a microwave oven loads a genny.
Additionally, you can see and if necessary adjust output voltage.

The load of a microwave pales by comparison to the load of an electric oven and the load is much shorter. It also depnds on the power rating of the microwave.

farmer-dave
03-17-2012, 20:26
Just give it a few more years for them to figure out how cold fusion works, then we'll be set.

fwm
03-17-2012, 21:12
Didn't Nikola Tesla have some ideas about this???? What happened????

Power is lost with the square of the distance in this mode, and most of it is just poured out into the ether.

fwm
03-17-2012, 21:15
Botac has been selling solar panels good for 12v each at $20 per. Link a few together and maybe you can power a flashlight and an iPod!

For a few hours a day!