40 vs 45 for carry [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 40 vs 45 for carry

Madmax1010
03-14-2012, 05:47
So with all the cal wars going around just what is the difference
between 40 and 45?
I wouldn't want to get shot by a 22.
But really should there be so much concern of which one to carry for self defense?:wavey:

Mas Ayoob
03-14-2012, 06:26
The .40 can give you more ammo capacity and/or a slimmer gun that better fits your hand. Many believe the .45 has an advantage in power, particularly at subsonic velocities.

You're right, folks get a little too obsessed with this side of it. There's a lot to be said for the old conventional wisdom: carry the most powerful gun you can shoot fast and straight. If it has a cartridge capacity that is compatible with your own considered and perceived needs, ya got that part covered and can go back to focusing on the stuff that's more likely to save your butt: awareness and preparedness, tactics, and requisite physical skill-sets.

best,
Mas

Madmax1010
03-14-2012, 08:03
Thanks! Mas Ayoob
I have always felt comfortable with both the 40 and 45 but there is always a lot of controversy between them two.

However I should mention that I have always preferred the 45 ACP.
For the simple reason I should it much faster and better. But in regard to self protection I believe the right ammo in most any cal. will do the trick.
I know you most likely don't like to comment on this but cal do you most prefer?

OH BTW It's nice to ask an age old question and not get a sarcastic answer! thanks