Stupid Question - 300AAC [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Question - 300AAC

CarryTexas
03-14-2012, 07:49
I've been entertaining the idea of getting a 300AAC upper... Based on my limited research I assume that you would use the same 5.56 magazines?

Is this correct?

faawrenchbndr
03-14-2012, 07:55
Yep,....standard USGI mags or PMags work fine with the .300

Jer
03-14-2012, 22:15
Yes, standard mags work just fine. BTW, the proper name is either 300 Blackout or 300BLK.

Javelin
03-14-2012, 22:18
Enjoy it!

:wavey:

faawrenchbndr
03-14-2012, 22:27
Yes, standard mags work just fine. BTW, the proper name is either 300 Blackout or 300BLK.

Ya need to do a WEE bit of research!
Proper name for Advanced Armament Corp's cartridge is 300 AAC Blackout.

PettyOfficer
03-14-2012, 22:36
Ya need to do a WEE bit of research!
Proper name for Advanced Armament Corp's cartridge is 300 AAC Blackout.

I've seen it both ways, not sure if they're different: 300 AAC or 300 BLK

Javelin
03-14-2012, 22:38
I've seen it both ways, not sure if they're different: 300 AAC or 300 BLK

:dunno:

Depends if it is AAC brass or not?

:rofl:

mark68
03-15-2012, 06:08
fun gun to build. uses 5.56 everything except barrel.

CarryTexas
03-15-2012, 08:10
Thanks for the information!

Facejackets
03-15-2012, 09:24
My store just got two of the AAC uppers and a Daniel Defense V5 in 300BLK yesterday.

I want to buy them all 8(

cyrsequipment
03-17-2012, 04:56
Not to hijack the thread, but is there anyone selling 9in barrels in that caliber at a decent price?

firefighter4215
03-17-2012, 05:04
I'd like to have one of these myself. My understanding is that you can build one for around $700. Does anyone have any insight on that?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

cyrsequipment
03-17-2012, 05:29
The only difference between a 300aac gun and a 5.56 gun is the barrel (gas system somtimes needs to be shorter, but generally they are the same length). The problem is that barrels are expensive as hell everywhere I've looked.

So yes, assuming that you can find a decent barrel cheaply (and I have yet to find one) you could buld one for about $700 using a regualr AR kit.

eracer
03-17-2012, 05:30
If you go down the .300 BLK road, commit to getting a suppressor. If there was ever a gun that begged for a can, it's a .300 BLK SBR. New bullet designs are making devastating subsonic defensive rounds a reality. One of the hallmarks of the cartridge is its efficiency from short barrels. Not to say that longer barrels are a bad thing, but SBR is where it's at.

Jer
03-17-2012, 05:43
If you go down the .300 BLK road, commit to getting a suppressor. If there was ever a gun that begged for a can, it's a .300 BLK SBR. New bullet designs are making devastating subsonic defensive rounds a reality. One of the hallmarks of the cartridge is its efficiency from short barrels. Not to say that longer barrels are a bad thing, but SBR is where it's at.

This is exactly why I built a 300BLK upper. I wanted a super short upper that I could suppress and a 9" 300BLK running subsonic ammo was the answer to that.

eracer
03-17-2012, 05:49
This is exactly why I built a 300BLK upper. I wanted a super short upper that I could suppress and a 9" 300BLK running subsonic ammo was the answer to that.Check out Lehigh Defense (http://lehighdefense.com/) (not what took Duke down last night.)

He makes some very interesting subsonic .300 Whisper rounds. I've ordered a box to do some testing in my BLK.

Jer
03-17-2012, 05:52
Check out Lehigh Defense (http://lehighdefense.com/) (not what took Duke down last night.)

He makes some very interesting subsonic .300 Whisper rounds. I've ordered a box to do some testing in my BLK.

Sorry dude but anyone who uses the term 'clip' improperly doesn't get my business:

"We did not stop with these two incredible design, we decided to develop a true Multiple Projectile line of ammunition that with one shot it will make your target look as if it got shot with a half clip from an auto."

:whistling:

eracer
03-17-2012, 06:22
Sorry dude but anyone who uses the term 'clip' improperly doesn't get my business:

"We did not stop with these two incredible design, we decided to develop a true Multiple Projectile line of ammunition that with one shot it will make your target look as if it got shot with a half clip from an auto."

:whistling::rofl:
Didn't notice that. Definitely a WTF moment.

Jer
03-17-2012, 06:31
:rofl:
Didn't notice that. Definitely a WTF moment.

Doesn't seem like English is his first language either. Should probably get someone with an 9th grade education to proof read that website before you go live.

DubfromGA
03-17-2012, 19:14

:whistling:

You are a stickler for precision, no?

Give the guys a break. Not everyone can be level 15 Internet commando like yourself.

:tongueout:

Jer
03-17-2012, 20:31
You are a stickler for precision, no?

Give the guys a break. Not everyone can be level 15 Internet commando like yourself.

:tongueout:

Well for starters the mention of the proper name for the Blackout round was a polite heads up to a fellow GTer. If I were him and just starting out researching a new caliber I would want someone to let me know if I was saying something wrong so I wasn't going around making myself look silly.

Now, as for the other guy... there's just no excuse for that. He's a self proclaimed expert in the industry yet if you read the pages on that site it reads like a 5th grade home work paper. I was mostly kidding about what I posted but I guess there was some degree of seriousness to it too because I personally wouldn't trust doing business with someone like that. If I was buying a $2 bulb on eBay from Hong Kong I can forgive some degree of that. If we're talking about something as critical and exact as precision top shelf ammo that's designed to take a life out of a high dollar piece of equipment... I expect a little more. This isn't Call of Duty so don't call it a clip. Sheesh. :tongueout:

WoodenPlank
03-17-2012, 20:39
Well for starters the mention of the proper name for the Blackout round was a polite heads up to a fellow GTer. If I were him and just starting out researching a new caliber I would want someone to let me know if I was saying something wrong so I wasn't going around making myself look silly.

Now, as for the other guy... there's just no excuse for that. He's a self proclaimed expert in the industry yet if you read the pages on that site it reads like a 5th grade home work paper. I was mostly kidding about what I posted but I guess there was some degree of seriousness to it too because I personally wouldn't trust doing business with someone like that. If I was buying a $2 bulb on eBay from Hong Kong I can forgive some degree of that. If we're talking about something as critical and exact as precision top shelf ammo that's designed to take a life out of a high dollar piece of equipment... I expect a little more. This isn't Call of Duty so don't call it a clip. Sheesh. :tongueout:

If someone is going to try to appear professional and sell a top-end product, they damn well better make sure their website looks the part. Improper technical terminology, bad grammar, bad formatting, etc. go a long way towards ruining that look that professionalism.

Jer
03-17-2012, 21:03
If someone is going to try to appear professional and sell a top-end product, they damn well better make sure their website looks the part. Improper technical terminology, bad grammar, bad formatting, etc. go a long way towards ruining that look that professionalism.

Thank you. I was beginning to think I was losing my mind and I was the only one who saw something wrong with this.

WoodenPlank
03-17-2012, 21:09
Thank you. I was beginning to think I was losing my mind and I was the only one who saw something wrong with this.

You weren't. Unfortunately, the gun industry is becoming so open, that anyone can start up a company "making" things like AR15s, etc. While I welcome the new ideas and greater competition, the lack of professionalism in some start-ups is very disturbing.