Discovery and Bear Gryllis part ways [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Discovery and Bear Gryllis part ways

Bilbo Bagins
03-14-2012, 11:28
Looks like no more Man vs Wild.

I'm kind of torn by the news. Sure Bear was rumored to occasionally sleep in hotels, staged some things, and slapped his name on a bunch of Chinese crap, but he seems like a nice guy, SAS trained, and he pretty much launched the Survival show concept.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/discovery-terminates-relationship-man-vs-wild-star-bear-160616521.html

I would never trust his advice, but he was entertaining.

Blankshooter
03-14-2012, 11:40
Finally it's gone. I think it's been about a dozen times that i've told myself "Hmm, it can't be that bad, I'll try and watch an episode . . . " only to barely make it through the intro credits and turn it off.

As for him launching the survival show concept? No, he did it 2 years too late, and horribly. Les Stroud did it first, did it better, and did it without a camera crew carrying his matches and first aid kit for him.

Babynine
03-14-2012, 12:30
Les Stroud? What about Ray Mears?

cowboy1964
03-14-2012, 17:13
I would never trust his advice, but he was entertaining.

Just curious, what advice has he ever given that was patently bad or wrong?

Akita
03-14-2012, 17:31
Stroud launched that TV genre.

Gryliss sleeping in hotels and staging (ie Lying) stuff was proven. Add to that crap that he traveled with a committee, camera crew and more med staff than your average HMO and you can see why he is the laughingstock of people that take this seriously.

I mean, Come On. Stroud carried his own camera and lives in the wild even when not filming. That dudes for real. Gryliss is a TV actor.

Unistat
03-14-2012, 17:31
I like Bear. He's entertaining and the show says right up front that some of the situations are set up to provide an interesting scenario.

If you watch any of those shows (Survivor Man included) looking for more than entertainment and the occasional good idea, you are making a mistake.

Kingarthurhk
03-14-2012, 18:02
I always liked Les Stroud, because he always looked like a guy who took a nap on a couch, and his buddies dropped him in the middle of nowhere. He wakes up, dusts off the cheetos, and says, "Oh, crap, where did they dump me this time?"

Donn57
03-14-2012, 18:20
Grylls, not Gryllis. If you're going to pound on the guy, at least get his name right.

Blankshooter
03-14-2012, 18:29
Ray Maers is a good one, but his show aired on th BBC after Baer Grylls

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Aceman
03-14-2012, 19:28
I like Bear. He's entertaining and the show says right up front that some of the situations are set up to provide an interesting scenario.

If you watch any of those shows (Survivor Man included) looking for more than entertainment and the occasional good idea, you are making a mistake.

This - at the end of the day people forget it's edu-tainment. If it were not for Bear, there wouldn't be any others. Survival fans are often wound a little tight. Bear's message has been beat into people very well. Find the high ground, get to the river, follow it to civilization. Do this fast. Greta advice for most people. Not you guys - but you are not most people if you are reading this.

Bear had a good run.

I always liked Les Stroud, because he always looked like a guy who took a nap on a couch, and his buddies dropped him in the middle of nowhere. He wakes up, dusts off the cheetos, and says, "Oh, crap, where did they dump me this time?"

Most of Les Stroud's show looks like a guy sleeping on the couch. He has often put me to sleep while i was on the couch.

Syclone538
03-14-2012, 19:35
I don't watch much tv, and had assumed his show went off the air a long time ago. I watched a couple episodes the first season, and couldn't believe the risks he would take. I guess entertaining for some, but horrible advice for someone that really was lost by themselves.

I liked Les Stroud, but he would basically just fast for a week, so his show wasn't perfect either.

r3dot
03-14-2012, 20:59
He launched the survival show concept? REALLY? HAHA. Not even to begin counting the old school PBS type crap, but did you forget about Les Stroud? The one who had no crew? The one who actually spent a full 7 days alone, filming himself, and only quit doing the show because of the mass physical and mental strain it had on him? Screw Edward (aka fake name, Bear Grylls).

TangoFoxtrot
03-15-2012, 04:43
Bear's show was Ok. Les Stroud is booorrreeiiinnnggg. Les spends more time with moving cameras than he does teaching survival skills. I rather watch Duel Survival.

pugman
03-15-2012, 06:35

Not a big watcher of the show; but as I pointed out to my wife IMO Bear's biggest problem was he showed people, in a survival ideology, some pretty dangerous stuff. The whole "I'm going to launch myself down a raging white cap river rather than walk the bank" is just plain stupid and dangerous (of course during his shows he had a life vest under his shirt).

Several times he made some jumps into water which clearly were unnecessary. I know in a survival mode you may need to do some dangerous things but the only rule in these situations is to come out alive. I'm sure he had a member of the film crew check to make sure there were no rocks...then jumped...where in a real emergency situation like this you don't have this luxury.

Having watched Survivor Man and Dual Survival at least they seem to be a little more common sense oriented. I don't recall anything Les did where I though "Ok, that is really dumb."

Dual Survival seems to have some Darwinian moments like going after the honey in a hive of Africanized Honey Bees but for the most part seems pretty responsible

Unistat
03-15-2012, 06:48
Bear's show was Ok. Les Stroud is booorrreeiiinnnggg. Les spends more time with moving cameras than he does teaching survival skills. I rather watch Duel Survival.

Dual Survival is actually my favorite. Dave and Cody's sometimes opposing views on proper techniques make the show pretty interesting.

Bilbo Bagins
03-15-2012, 07:11

The way he moves across terrains. Jumping off a 40 foot cliff into a boulder filled lake, using just your body to ride a raging river, and climbing up a 100ft rockface will significantly decrease your chances of survival, but I'll be honest, it makes for great TV.

Like I said, I like Bear as a person, and I hate to see him go. My kids love his show for the action and the gross out moments, and I admit they picked up a few geography, and plant and animal facts here and there. Les Stroud may have started first, but I could never sit through an entire show. Les whines, is too serious, and a snoozefest.

Bren
03-15-2012, 07:18
Finally it's gone. I think it's been about a dozen times that i've told myself "Hmm, it can't be that bad, I'll try and watch an episode . . . " only to barely make it through the intro credits and turn it off.

As for him launching the survival show concept? No, he did it 2 years too late, and horribly. Les Stroud did it first, did it better, and did it without a camera crew carrying his matches and first aid kit for him.

Yep - the only thing I found worse, among survival shows, was all of the other survival shows.:upeyes:

Don't get me wrong, I think people who believe it's some kind of reality gameshow, where he's supposed to really be surviving unassisted are idiots. The point of the show is to show how to survive - it's irrelevant whether he leaves the hotel to shoot for 4 hours a day before hitting the bar. However, aside from Gryllis, where do they get the creepy, city-living hippies they put on these shows? They are making survival shows with what seem to be couch potatos who read survival books.

lethal tupperwa
03-15-2012, 07:22
who were the two guys --one of them is barefoot almost all the time?

itstime
03-15-2012, 07:25
Being a good friend with A guy who is good friends with one of the persons mentioned in this thread I can say for certain the people who work for the network have more to say what goes on the show than the "experts".

I was told stories where the person didn't want to do what was told to do because he didn't believe it was good advice but had to do certain things anyway.

Bilbo Bagins
03-15-2012, 07:37
Being a good friend with A guy who is good friends with one of the persons mentioned in this thread I can say for certain the people who work for the network have more to say what goes on the show than the "experts".

I was told stories where the person didn't want to do what was told to do because he didn't believe it was good advice but had to do certain things anyway.

I know people who work in the TV and Radio industry and I totally believe what you are saying there.

quake
03-15-2012, 09:34
My issue with BG was his (or the producers', whoever) insistence on doing things that were blatantly bad ideas and often flat-out dangerous.

I only watched the show fully twice, and caught little snippets of probably five or six others, but there was so much dangerous advice and example that I couldn't personally get into it. One episode I watched, he climbed down a vine right in the middle of a waterfall, just to see if there was anything useful or edible down there. When there wasn't, he climbed right back up THRU the waterfall again, rather than go five feet to either side where it was clear. One episode, he said he hadn't eaten in six or seven hours, and so ate something (don't recall what it was now) that he KNEW, and said he knew, was toxic; and then spent the night cramped & sick.

He loves to jump over anything he possibly can, and while it looks nifty on camera, very few things will get you gimped in the woods faster than jumping on & over things willy-nilly; especially things in areas that you haven't traversed previously, which is the whole premise of his show.

I understand it's not a training film, but to me it's like watching a Jeffrey Dahmer cooking show or a Roseanne Barr fitness show. Just so much wrong with it that I can't bring myself to sacrifice even those few minutes to it.

Blankshooter
03-15-2012, 09:59
Having watched Survivor Man and Dual Survival at least they seem to be a little more common sense oriented. I don't recall anything Les did where I though "Ok, that is really dumb."

I think that sums it up for me. While Les' show definitely wasn't the most exciting or even the most entertaining, it was the most realistic. It doesn't glorify survival like some of the other shows. Survival sucks and in most of his shows he has a sucky time. May not be as fun to watch as senselessly drinking from elephant s*** or jumping off a waterfall, but to me it's more worth watching.

ray9898
03-15-2012, 10:00

99% of the stuff that involved climbing, jumping and sliding. You do not risk injury in a true survival situation because it compounds the problem and can be a game ender. If your choice is to scale an 80' cliff or spend 30 minutes walking around you take the long route.

This thread right here proves why the shows are geared the way they are; "Survivorman was 'boring'". That is what survival looks like, making fire, shelter, snares and other boring tasks. Bear took the base that Les built and upped it with his own dramatic flair. He jumped, dived, swam and climbed everything in sight to give some 'excitement' which had nothing to do with survival.

humanguerrilla
03-15-2012, 11:24
good riddance

Akita
03-15-2012, 15:04
Grylls, not Gryllis. If you're going to pound on the guy, at least get his name right.

He aint worth the effort it takes to learn to spell his sorry name. P o s e r is how I spell it.

Jake-Gallows
03-15-2012, 17:09
I have watched most of these shows a few times, and have seen all of them do some pretty stupid things (bear jumping off cliffs, Stroud using ammo from his rifle to try to start a fire, dave cutting his own arm to show how to care of a wound....that was the most f--ing stupid thing I saw any of them do)
I do have to say that Bear did say before he did something stupid that this was NOT the best way to do it, but if you HAVE to do it, this is how.
I wish hiim the best.

Aceman
03-15-2012, 19:07
I'd love to see how many of the haters here could hang for as long as Bear. I bet he'd be on the rescue party dragging your sorry @$$es out of the wilderness.

Like the advertisement said 'Does he have to eat that? Probably not."

You guys know that Zombies aren't real, don't you?

Unistat
03-15-2012, 21:11
He aint worth the effort it takes to learn to spell his sorry name. P o s e r is how I spell it.

I spell it: H a v e y o u c l i m b e d M t . E v e r e s t ?

Blankshooter
03-15-2012, 22:15

Not yet my friend. Not yet.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

kirgi08
03-15-2012, 22:15
I don't agree with his methods,he however does have brass.He went through that french foreign legion training ect.'08.

Bren
03-16-2012, 05:24
I have watched most of these shows a few times, and have seen all of them do some pretty stupid things (bear jumping off cliffs, Stroud using ammo from his rifle to try to start a fire, dave cutting his own arm to show how to care of a wound....that was the most f--ing stupid thing I saw any of them do)

Then I think you miss the point - those shows are supposed to "show you how" not "prove they can." For a lost hunter, a frie my be about a million times more important than ammo and, while a fake wound seems like it would do, imagine how the "this is a reality gameshow" crowd why scream if they faked it.:upeyes:

TangoFoxtrot
03-16-2012, 05:29
Lets just say it because its true! A lot of these reality shows are somewhat scripted by the producers to make it more interesting to the viewers to keep up ratings.

pugman
03-16-2012, 07:53
I'd love to see how many of the haters here could hang for as long as Bear. I bet he'd be on the rescue party dragging your sorry @$$es out of the wilderness.

Its not a question of hate...its about technique.

If a skydiving instructor taught all his/her students not to pull until 2,000 feet just like him/her do I hate them...no.

Do I think they are being grossly irresponsible - yep.

Here is the more important question: If Bear was in a SHTF survival situation do you think he would actually do half the stuff he does for the camera? Without the support of a film crew, probably onsite EMT service and what not. Does anyone think a sensible person would climb a 100' rock face or throw themselves down a raging river when other more sensible and SAFE methods were available.

It isn't about toughness...its about being a responsible instructor.

Donn57
03-16-2012, 08:37
I
It isn't about toughness...its about being a responsible instructor.

If you want instruction, go to school. Television is entertainment.

mac66
03-16-2012, 10:41
I am sure Bear will be back doing something similar in the near future. His personality and shenanigans are just too entertaining to keep him off the screen.

Bolster
03-16-2012, 10:49
Could not care less if I tried.

This thread is more evidence this is the "watch TV" forum, not the S/P forum.

Just_plinking
03-17-2012, 08:29
I enjoyed his show, it was entertaining, and he seemed to have a down to earth attitude.

If I was lost in the wilderness and had to pick 1 of those t.v. survival guys to come save my ass, i'd probably pick Bear.

pugman
03-17-2012, 08:53

So Television gives someone a pass to give dangerous advice...

Interesting take

quake
03-17-2012, 14:38

Never said he was a wuss; said I didn't like his show. Not an anti-Grylls thing - I don't like the idiotic blatherings of that guy on Future Weapons either. Not sure if that one's still on, but the guy presented himself as a weapons expert and (on the one episode I watched), he seemed stunned that the body armor they were testing not only stopped 5.56 millimeter and 7.62 millimeter, but "even the 9 millimeter" didn't penetrate it. :upeyes: Don't hate the guy, but don't ever plan to watch him again; simply because he either intentionally says stupid things for dramatic effect, or he's genuinely that ignorant of his show's subject matter, or both.

No Grylls hate at all on my part (although there's been some of that in the thread); I've just got too few hours in the week to spend them on things that I know are going to annoy me. I can watch "valueless" things even like skateboard competitions and not be in that same bad mood afterward, because I'm genuinely impressed with their abilities. The things they do are impressive as all get-out to me personally, largely because I never have been, and never will be, able to emulate them.

Now, if those skateboarders (or their promoters or producers) started marketing what they do as "educational" or as "evasive bug-out maneuvering", then I'd not be able to enjoy them. I've got no problem with pointless or even silly tv shows (I'm a fan of Married with Children and Monty Python both - patently silly stuff), but they didn't try to lie to me about it and claim to be a marriage-counselling show or a british documentary.

That's the crux of what turned me off of Grylls' show; simply that it made claims of "sharing invaluable survival strategies" (that's direct from the Man vs. Wild website), and that's something that it simply wasn't. Monty Python and Al Bundy sometimes insult my intelligence, but they don't try to lie to me about it, and Grylls did. It's simply about that, at least for me personally.

kalifornia
03-17-2012, 20:34
everytime ive watched les stroud , he goes hungry for three days and then catches the helicopter out.

Bolster
03-17-2012, 21:09
No Grylls hate at all on my part...

Mine either. All the best to Grylls.

I do hate TV however.

- And not just for the fact it wastes time.
- Or that studies show it actually lowers IQ points in heavy viewers, yet that nobody considers himself to be a heavy viewer.
- Or that it creates angry feelings of "relative deprivation" in people, which wouldn't otherwise exist, so keeps the class wars alive, which are the fuel of a certain corrupt political party.
- Or that it plays to base stereotypes for "acceptable" targets (balding white men the stereotypical villains), or paints artificial stereotypes for the politically protected classes (pop quiz: what's the gender and race of a respectable judge on just about any program?).

My issue is that it injects completely artificial claptrap straight into the brain, where foolish, improbable, and marginal ideas are now thought to be acceptable, probable, and mainstream. Yet no TV watcher thinks TV has this effect on them.

Also TV is deeply implicated in the downfall of our society. We can only hope it will rot the brains of other societies even faster than ours, but we had the head start and so our culture got stupider, faster.

TV has helped debase and ruin Western culture, which was formerly an amazing gift .

So best to Grylls, but fck TV.

Kingarthurhk
03-17-2012, 22:34
Dual Survival is actually my favorite. Dave and Cody's sometimes opposing views on proper techniques make the show pretty interesting.

Not to mention that it is absolutely hillarious. I haven't seen any new episodes lately. I guess Cody used the publicity to fill his survival classes?:dunno:

battlin bulldog
03-18-2012, 22:04
Re: Man Vs. Wild, Bear Grylls is a Phony - YouTube

RED64CJ5
03-19-2012, 15:09
I suppose some people enjoyed the entertainment value. I thought it was boring like most television.

quake
03-19-2012, 15:41
Re: Man Vs. Wild, Bear Grylls is a Phony - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UpSlpvb1is)

That's priceless. Both the final, revealing shot and the comment about "You've got to be really, really careful..." and then just jump like a dog out onto it. :rofl:

Brian Lee
03-20-2012, 15:11
Bear and Rosie should get together and make a new show of their own. Bear could go out and find the large rotting animals, and Rosie could eat them with the hooves still on.

For him it would be a woodsman/survival type show, and for her it would be a weight loss & dieting show.

Deputydave
03-24-2012, 13:01
I think some here are missing the point(s). Let me explain;

1. The shows state upfront that help is available in life threatening situations. They also state upfront that situations are prepared/presented in order to be useful for instruction.

2. Several of the experts have stated publicly and on the web that it is a 'show'. The 'show' inlcudes many tips for survival but also has staged moments. Cody Lundin has a rather lengthy page covering this on his website. While the experts try to keep it real, there is a show to be produced and both sides have to have some give n take.

3. Every show will have some real world tips that can be taken away and used in real situations. A little research will yield what is more useable than others.

4. It gets people thinking and possibly motivated. I'm one of them. I've really gotten into Dual Survival lately, and it has motivated me to do a LOT of research. This has brushed up on my military trainng, my enjoyment of camping in general and has started me getting together a BOB and other assorted equipment. I'm not worried about zombies, but bad weather and such is a reality.

5. It has gotten me (and others) motivated to get out of the house and back into the wilderness. This gives a person some first-hand experience that is useful and goes beyond 'watching' it. I've gotten some good camping equipment, emergency survival equipment, proper food/water etc that I didn't have before.

So the bottom line is enjoy the show, pick up a tidbit here and there, check stuff out for validity/viability, and do something proactive to assist yourself in a similar situation.

blueyedmule
03-25-2012, 05:17

And if you want a school, that's what Dave does. He became well-known through his youtube following of his school work. I've been working up my kit pretty much following his philosophy of what's truly needful to carry and it's been helpful.

I enjoyed watching BG's show (as well as Survivorman) when I had the channel and time. I don't have cable/sat. tv. or time anymore so I don't see either show. Too busy earning Glock money. :)

TangoFoxtrot
03-25-2012, 06:40
Re: Man Vs. Wild, Bear Grylls is a Phony - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UpSlpvb1is)

Look lets be realist here. ALL survival and reality shows are scripted, directed, munipulated and edited. Thats what the networks do. At best (with survival shows)you can pick up one or two tips along the way. But the bottom line is...Its still entertainment!