Let me bounce this idea off of you guys. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Let me bounce this idea off of you guys.

frank4570
03-14-2012, 11:51
I'm changing vocations and with it my clothing. I am probably going to have to go to a tucked in shirt and no coat. So, a full size gun is out, I don't really like that.
I'm having a rolling cabinet built for my tools. This will be my work bench in the shops where I am working, sharpening scissors for hair salons.
So I am thinking a concealable gun on me, a little one, then a full size in a box/drawer inside of my tool box. I can't imaging any reason i would leave my tool box beyond walking around the salon and talking to the stylists.
What do you guys think?

xmanhockey7
03-14-2012, 11:57
I'm changing vocations and with it my clothing. I am probably going to have to go to a tucked in shirt and no coat. So, a full size gun is out, I don't really like that.
I'm having a rolling cabinet built for my tools. This will be my work bench in the shops where I am working, sharpening scissors for hair salons.
So I am thinking a concealable gun on me, a little one, then a full size in a box/drawer inside of my tool box. I can't imaging any reason i would leave my tool box beyond walking around the salon and talking to the stylists.
What do you guys think?

IMHO the best place for your gun is on your person. Have you considered a holster like the smartcarry or 3-speed holster? What about a pocket .38, .380 or 9mm? I understand where you're coming from where I'm hoping I will be working for about 6 months requires a tucked in polo. I've considered an IWB tuck-able holster like the Galco Kingtuck but I think the belt clips are just too obvious. I'm considering getting the 3-speed holster and if that doesn't work I'll just stick with a Sig P238 in my front right pocket.

DaneA
03-14-2012, 12:03
I use a cbst with my 26 everyday with a tucked shirt with no problems.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

RyanNREMTP
03-14-2012, 12:36
Or an ankle holster.

HarleyGuy
03-14-2012, 12:57
I don't support or condone off-body carry.
You're responsible for your gun(s) remaining secured.

I carry my little Kel-Tec .32 in a LH pocket holster all of the time (where I can legally).

Another option, especially if you sit while working is either one of those T-shirts with an under the arm holster sewn into the shirt, or a belly band style set up positioning your gun close to the opening of your shirt.
Both of these options would require a loose fitting shirt but would give you quick access to your gun.

frank4570
03-14-2012, 13:05
I don't support or condone off-body carry.
You're responsible for your gun(s) remaining secured.

Yeah, you're probably right. It makes me very uncomfortable just thinking about it.

BrewerGeorge
03-14-2012, 13:07
The holster clips are only obvious to gun guys and cops.

Oramac
03-14-2012, 13:51

+1 for this. I use an MTAC with a G26 tucked in every day, wearing a shirt and tie. Works amazingly well, and is very comfortable.

I'm also pretty sure I could conceal a full size 1911 if I needed to using my MTAC. Never tried it, but I'm quite confident it'd work.

cloudbuster
03-14-2012, 16:20
The holster clips are only obvious to gun guys and cops.

It depends. They're very unobtrusive to the casual observer, but if you have co-workers who see you extensively, day-in, day-out, sooner or later, somebody will notice. You have to decide if that is a problem.

Since the OP seems like he'll be going business-to-business doing sharpening, this may be less of an issue. Depends on how often he sees regular customers.

Consider whether OP is an independent contractor, or works for a service. Does the service have rules regarding this? As an independent contractor, do you think any of the salons would be upset enough, if they found out, to cost you a customer? Would that be a price you'd be willing to pay?

Pocket carry of a very small auto like a P32 is essentially invisible -- even if they see a bulge, it's not obvious what it is. You could probably get away with that in any case.

If your toolbox is sturdy, has a separate locking compartment or you could somehow cable-lock one of the Center-of-Mass (http://www.center-of-mass.com/Store_InCarGunSafe.htm) boxes inside it, I'd think that would be OK. Because you're an outside contractor and because it's a toolbox with your specialized equipment, I think it will be regarded as private space and you're unlikely to have anyone poking through it. The C-o-M box is just extra insurance against the light-fingered. Those professional rolling tool cabinets usually have lots of little nooks and compartments. Lots of space for you to have a secure storage spot for a gun.

People try to walk off with those cabinets, but most often by breaking into your truck or garage -- they're a little too big to just roll off with right in the shop. :)

Able 5
03-14-2012, 16:29
Dude, you are sharpening scissors.... and you cannot figure out how to dress around your "new" job....really. Wear a lab coat/smock. Next

janice6
03-14-2012, 16:42
Make up a really good story explaining how you were accosted by criminal/s and feared for your life and as a result, you're terrified to go around unprotected. You could throw in a tear jerker about how this is the only way you can provide for your spouse.

Then if you're exposed, it may go better for you.

Or, do what I do and ignore other people's attitudes about guns, and go your own way.

cloudbuster
03-14-2012, 16:54
Dude, you are sharpening scissors.... and you cannot figure out how to dress around your "new" job....really. Wear a lab coat/smock. Next

It's just possible --- maybe, I dunno, tell me if this sounds outrageous -- that you might have thought of a way to word this that didn't make you sound like a condescending jerk.

Mudshark100
03-14-2012, 17:01

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

I do the same with a G19.

frank4570
03-14-2012, 18:26
It's just possible --- maybe, I dunno, tell me if this sounds outrageous -- that you might have thought of a way to word this that didn't make you sound like a condescending jerk.

Dude, you're cracking me up. :rofl:
He actually had a pretty good idea I hadn't thought of.

DaneA
03-14-2012, 20:47
It depends. They're very unobtrusive to the casual observer, but if you have co-workers who see you extensively, day-in, day-out, sooner or later, somebody will notice. You have to decide if that is a problem.

Funny, I'm at almost exactly a year of wearing my CBST in the same building, with the same 30 people, 50 hours a week and none of my employees have spotted me yet (even with the crosses). Or at least if they have they haven't said a word. I have had 1 customer spot me because he was getting ready to purchase the same holster.

TBO
03-14-2012, 21:16
frank,

Thunderwear works well under a loincloth :tbo:

frank4570
03-14-2012, 21:20
frank,

Thunderwear works well under a loincloth :tbo:

Ah, you've been paying attention. I have both, BTW.

TBO
03-14-2012, 21:28
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v90/TheeBadOne/TBO/cheers2.gif

mj9mm
03-15-2012, 07:23
build in a biometric safe in your cabinet for a full size gun, but keep a little one in your pocket:wavey:

alwaysshootin
03-15-2012, 08:39

frank4570 wrote:
Dude, you're cracking me up.

I was thinking the very same thing! I know what I want to carry. I'll will do whatever it takes to make it happen! Well, short of wearing a fanny pack!:supergrin:

A European a man purse? If that is what it takes. Hell I'll even talk with a lisp!:whistling:

dosei
03-15-2012, 09:47
I'm having a hard time understanding why a tucked in shirt would be the required dress code for someone sharpening scissors at salons. What would be wrong with a nice "camp shirt" worn untucked (since that is how they are meant to be worn)?

SpringerTGO
03-15-2012, 09:58
I'm having a hard time understanding why a tucked in shirt would be the required dress code for someone sharpening scissors at salons. What would be wrong with a nice "camp shirt" worn untucked (since that is how they are meant to be worn)?

I'm just having a hard time figuring out why the OP started this thread.

TBO
03-15-2012, 10:12
Picking a few brains is a sure way to turn up an idea or two, or see things that you didn't.

ymmv

alwaysshootin
03-15-2012, 10:22
Picking a few brains is a sure way to turn up an idea or two, or see things that you didn't.

ymmv

Ain't that the truth!

Oramac
03-15-2012, 10:46

Same reason a tucked in shirt is required for your UPS delivery guy.

C'mon people, cut the man some slack. He asked an honest question and now he's getting ripped to shreds by people who don't know what they're talking about. Not saying I do either, but I'm also not trying to tell him how his new job works.

For the OP: look into an MTAC by Comp-tac. I carry a G26 in one every day around the same people and have never had any problems at all. I wear a shirt and tie every day, tucked in.

cloudbuster
03-15-2012, 10:48
Funny, I'm at almost exactly a year of wearing my CBST in the same building, with the same 30 people, 50 hours a week and none of my employees have spotted me yet (even with the crosses). Or at least if they have they haven't said a word. I have had 1 customer spot me because he was getting ready to purchase the same holster.

I guess I give people too much credit. It's funny how unobservant people are.

cloudbuster
03-15-2012, 10:57
frank4570 wrote:

I was thinking the very same thing! I know what I want to carry. I'll will do whatever it takes to make it happen! Well, short of wearing a fanny pack!:supergrin:

A European a man purse? If that is what it takes. Hell I'll even talk with a lisp!:whistling:

I carried for a long time in a fanny pack at a job I had. Even had to put up with some annoying guy referring to it as my colostomy bag, lol.

Able 5
03-15-2012, 11:33
frank4570 wrote:

You might also try the "Safepacker" as tools are part of your trade, it would go unnoticed.

SpringerTGO
03-15-2012, 11:37
I've got to ask......
The OP has over 10,000 posts here. I have to wonder how someone who has been on this site so much, would have a problem with carrying in this circumstance?

dosei
03-15-2012, 11:39
Same reason a tucked in shirt is required for your UPS delivery guy.

C'mon people, cut the man some slack. He asked an honest question and now he's getting ripped to shreds by people who don't know what they're talking about.

Well Oramac...how about reading the OP...

I'm changing vocations and with it my clothing. I am probably going to have to go to a tucked in shirt and no coat.

Notice the word "probably"...I did.

I didn't see "company dress code requires".

So I'm trying to find out why frank4570 believes he will have to be going with a tucked in shirt.

If he just needs to look sharp, but there is no "dress code", that can be done with some nice "camp shirts" or similar type of shirt.

http://www.royalrobbins.com/p-371-desert-pucker-short-sleeve.aspx?category=mens-styles&colorname=abyss

HKLovingIT
03-15-2012, 18:29
Leather tuckable holster with single snap loop. Hang keys (old metal key loop and couple of old keys) on the leather loop. Will look like just any other leather key holder on the belt.

Something like the Workman from Mitch Rosen - or similar

http://www.mitchrosen.com/product_line/holsters/inside_waistband/body_inside_waistband.html

DannyII
03-15-2012, 19:31
1. I like the lab coat idea a lot. Lots of salons/barbershops use (or at least used to) them.

2. Having the gun in your toolbox is not a good idea to me. I've seen lots of kids in shops. While an adult may respect your space, a kid won't.

frank4570
03-15-2012, 19:47
I've got to ask......
The OP has over 10,000 posts here. I have to wonder how someone who has been on this site so much, would have a problem with carrying in this circumstance?

I've been carrying under an untucked t-shirt for about 10 years now.

Also, I now have back problems which make IWB carry a very bad idea. I currently carry my XD .45 in a paddle holster under a t-shirt, and it is very comfortable. and 10 rounds of .45 is very reassuring.

TBO
03-15-2012, 19:49
Frank's carry .45

AF2011-A1 "Second Century" - Double barrel pistol - YouTube

frank4570
03-15-2012, 19:56
Notice the word "probably"...I did.

I didn't see "company dress code requires".

So I'm trying to find out why frank4570 believes he will have to be going with a tucked in shirt.

If he just needs to look sharp, but there is no "dress code", that can be done with some nice "camp shirts" or similar type of shirt.

Here is the deal. I am cold calling salons who have never seen me, never heard of me.
Apparently this area has been thick with sharpeners who are absolutely terrible at what they do. There have been a lot of $200,$300,and $400 scissors badly botched or even totally ruined. When I go into a shop and tell them I am a sharpener I can feel the hostility in the room. A couple of places have pretty much thrown me out.
Now, once I sharpen something for them, I'm gold. But that first impression is all important. And I absolutely must make the best impression I can. I have to be the most competent and professional looking sharpener they have ever seen. And that's just to give me a fighting chance.
I am getting better at selling myself, but the appearance for the first impression is all important.
Anyway, that's the deal. I don't like it. But I don't get to make the rules. I just have to figure out what they are, and then play to win.

TBO
03-15-2012, 20:22
Sounds like you've got your head on straight.

DaneA
03-15-2012, 20:43
Maybe consider tossing a blazer/sport coat on. The jeans/sport coat look?

frank4570
03-15-2012, 20:52
Frank's carry .45

AF2011-A1 "Second Century" - Double barrel pistol - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM-DGaNmtA0)

Ok, first I thought this was just ridiculously stupid compared to a double stack 45. Then I saw it shoots both barrels with every trigger pull. So, now I may need one for my toolbox.

frank4570
03-15-2012, 21:02
Sounds like you've got your head on straight.

Dude, I'm middle age. By now I know that if I am going to look professional I have to take my blood-red pigtails and tie them back.

cloudbuster
03-16-2012, 04:37
Dude, I'm middle age. By now I know that if I am going to look professional I have to take my blood-red pigtails and tie them back.

ROFL:rofl:

Oramac
03-16-2012, 09:56
Here is the deal. I am cold calling salons who have never seen me, never heard of me.
Apparently this area has been thick with sharpeners who are absolutely terrible at what they do. There have been a lot of $200,$300,and $400 scissors badly botched or even totally ruined. When I go into a shop and tell them I am a sharpener I can feel the hostility in the room. A couple of places have pretty much thrown me out.
Now, once I sharpen something for them, I'm gold. But that first impression is all important. And I absolutely must make the best impression I can. I have to be the most competent and professional looking sharpener they have ever seen. And that's just to give me a fighting chance.
I am getting better at selling myself, but the appearance for the first impression is all important.
Anyway, that's the deal. I don't like it. But I don't get to make the rules. I just have to figure out what they are, and then play to win.

Sounds like a tucked shirt is pretty much required. If IWB is out of the question, I'd go with either a small pocket pistol (better than nothing) or a sub-compact in a Smartcarry/Thunderwear. You may also look at a bellyband.

Personally, I'd take the Smartcarry/Thunderwear option. I currently use Thunderwear and my G26 for deep concealment, and it works great. Your draw is slower, but it's still better than not carrying at all. I've never used a bellyband myself, but they look like they might be a solid option for you.

UtahIrishman
03-16-2012, 10:05
I carry a G19 in an MTAC with Velcro attachments for the belt. If someone looks real close (or you don't pay attention and let the clips slip a bit) you can still see that something is there, but most people will not associate that with a concealed weapon.

Or a pocket carry like a Kel-Tec P32

Or if you're brave you could carry that double barrel 1911 in a shoulder holster :rofl:

Bill Lumberg
03-16-2012, 10:07
Wow. You have put a lot of thought and effort into this. Is your threat profile this high, and if so, can't you just stab them with scissors or scratch their eyes out when they attack? Did you fail to follow through on your agreement to sharpen scissors for the fashion mafia in exchange for your family's safety? Good luck whatever you choose.