CMV vs HF barrels [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CMV vs HF barrels

RJHUB
03-14-2012, 12:55
Is Hammer Forged just for more durability?

I am trying to determine if it is worth an added $100.

I will just be using for range gun.

Is it more accurate?

BBJones
03-14-2012, 14:20
Is Hammer Forged just for more durability?

I am trying to determine if it is worth an added $100.

Is it more accurate?

Are these both BCM offerings? If so, save the $100 and put it towards ammo. If a DD barrel is an option, they are all hammer forged.

To answer your questions. Theoretically a HF will last longer and could be more accurate. For $30 more yah get a HF but not worth the $100 IMO. If you want a, great barrel for about the same price as BCM hammer forged take a look at Centurion.

RJHUB
03-14-2012, 20:09
I was looking at PSA's complete uppers or rifle kits to go on my Lowers. I think it was actually about $70 difference.

Just wondering if that would be something I would be worth spending the extra money on.

BBJones
03-14-2012, 22:12
I was looking at PSA's complete uppers or rifle kits to go on my Lowers. I think it was actually about $70 difference.

Just wondering if that would be something I would be worth spending the extra money on.

The HF barrels that PSA stocks are supposedly FN barrels. If that is the case and they are not seconds or something, they are definitely worth $70 extra. FN barrels are the most accurate chrome lined barrels out there IMO.

Noveske and Centurion also source their chrome lined barrels from FN.

WoodenPlank
03-14-2012, 22:38
The HF barrels that PSA stocks are supposedly FN barrels. If that is the case and they are not seconds or something, they are definitely worth $70 extra. FN barrels are the most accurate chrome lined barrels out there IMO.

Noveske and Centurion also source their chrome lined barrels from FN.

I was under the impression that FN didn't sell to the public, nor did they sell their barrels to other manufacturers. I've been curious how PSA got their FN barrels, or if I am under the wrong impression...

GSSF17
03-15-2012, 06:23
Right from PSA's site:

Barrel: A proprietary blend of Hammer forged chrome molly vanadium made by FN that is referred to as "Machine Gun Steel" by virtue of its use in FN's M249 and M240 weapons.

PSA and FN are next door neighbors there in South Carolina, so I guess they figured why not do some business?:wavey:

K. Foster
03-15-2012, 07:45
Because of the process, hammer forged is more durable but nobody really knows how much more. If you were building a hard use gun to shoot 8-10K a year, hammer forged would be a good choice. But if you can afford to shoot that much, you can afford to re-barrel your gun.
If accuracy was the priority, I’d look at a good quality stainless.

BBJones
03-15-2012, 17:39
I was under the impression that FN didn't sell to the public, nor did they sell their barrels to other manufacturers. I've been curious how PSA got their FN barrels, or if I am under the wrong impression...

Noveske has been using them for years. Then Centurion and most recently Spikes and PSA. Spikes and PSA sell for far less than Noveske and Centurion. Could be mark up for name or could be FN sells different quality barrels (seconds, etc.). I know PSA had some with marks on them. Were those just blemished barrels or seconds?

Both Noveske and Centurion CL barrels are extremely good barrels. If PSA is selling the same thing at that price, it is a great deal. If I was going to get a PSA, I would spend the extra $60 on the chance it is the same thing. Perhaps someone on M4C or barf.com has done some credible testing. I just haven't looked.

glock031
03-15-2012, 18:26
Noveske has been using them for years. Then Centurion and most recently Spikes and PSA. Spikes and PSA sell for far less than Noveske and Centurion. Could be mark up for name or could be FN sells different quality barrels (seconds, etc.). I know PSA had some with marks on them. Were those just blemished barrels or seconds?

Both Noveske and Centurion CL barrels are extremely good barrels. If PSA is selling the same thing at that price, it is a great deal. If I was going to get a PSA, I would spend the extra $60 on the chance it is the same thing. Perhaps someone on M4C or barf.com has done some credible testing. I just haven't looked.

For the umfteem time. PSA HAS STATED THEIR FN BARRELS ARE NOT SECONDS NEVER WERE OR NEVER WILL BE. Why do people write things they don't know or not sure.

GSSF17
03-15-2012, 19:41
deleted.......

BBJones
03-15-2012, 20:30
For the umfteem time. PSA HAS STATED THEIR FN BARRELS ARE NOT SECONDS NEVER WERE OR NEVER WILL BE. Why do people write things they don't know or not sure.

Lighten up Francis.

I never said they were seconds. I asked. I am not an expert on everything PSA says. They absolutely did have blemishes. Did PSA ever say they were the same barrels that other companies are marketing (Noveske, SPikes, Centurion)? Could each be asking for different specs from FN? Could the quality be different from each other? I don't think anyone knows. That was my only point. If someone goes out and does some good tests and they stand the test of time, great. If you read my post closely I said: I WOULD SPEND THE EXTRA $60 FOR PSA's HAMMER FORGED.

glock031
03-15-2012, 20:41
Lighten up Francis.

I never said they were seconds. I asked. I am not an expert on everything PSA says. They absolutely did have blemishes. Did PSA ever say they were the same barrels that other companies are marketing (Noveske, SPikes, Centurion)? Could each be asking for different specs from FN? Could the quality be different from each other? I don't think anyone knows. That was my only point. If someone goes out and does some good tests and they stand the test of time, great. If you read my post closely I said: I WOULD SPEND THE EXTRA $60 FOR PSA's HAMMER FORGED.

PSA did say several times that they don't buy and sell seconds. This just gets tossed around alot because of the better prices i supose. Another speculation is each buyer of FN barrels must provide thier own building specs. For people that claim they aren't experts on what PSA buys and sells they sure make a lot of speculations about them.

Kinda get tired of the rumors after a while like colt still using large pins. It gets old.

smokin762
03-15-2012, 20:45

DS Arms gets Barrel blanks from FN.

http://www.dsarms.com/21-Israeli-Pattern-Heavy-Barrel---00121IS/productinfo/00121IS/

One of the Dealers at the local Gun Shows that I go to always has stripped FN Uppers for sale.

One of my co worker just bought an upper from them. It has a FN Upper with a Wilson Stainless Bull Barrel. It also came with a BCG. He paid $550.00 out the door for it.

Glockz0r
03-15-2012, 21:25
I went with the "buy once, cry once" mantra when I ordered my PSA CHF dissy upper. I'll probably never shoot out a normal barrel but the price is right on the PSA uppers.

GSSF17
03-16-2012, 08:22
I went with the "buy once, cry once" mantra when I ordered my PSA CHF dissy upper. I'll probably never shoot out a normal barrel but the price is right on the PSA uppers.

Me too. No such thing as overkill , in my book, anyway. That said, OP, if you can afford it, go for it.

fuzzy03cls
03-16-2012, 09:45

Then it's a waste of money.

RJHUB
03-16-2012, 10:04
OK, maybe I should have asked, is it noticably more accurate at 100-200yds? And, is Stainless even more accurate than CMV & HF?
I am planning on a 20".
Will probably never wear one out.

smokin762
03-16-2012, 10:46
My FAL’s have a hammer forged barrel. With a scope, they are both very accurate. With Iron sights, it all depends on the type of sights. My IMBEL FAL has way better factory sights because of the adjustments of the front sight than my L1A1 does.

When thinking about accuracy, I would compare a Hammer Forged Barrel vs. Button Rifle Barrel as the same as a Non-Chrome Lined Barrelvs. Chrome lined Barrel. One will have a slight edge over the other.

If you are using this rifle for plinking or Home Defense, Chrome lined Button Barrel should be good enough.

If you are using this rifle in competition shooting for distance, than you want the most accurate barrel that you can get. A Stainless Barrel or a Non Chrome lined barrel will fit the need.

If you are using this rifle for competition shooting in course events and you shoot a lot, the Hammer Forged Barrel would not wear out as fast and will allow you to get a longer life out of your investment.

If you have a NFA Stamp for a Full Auto drop in trigger pack for your rifle and you plan on doing a lot of magazine dumps, then I would get Hammer Forged Barrel. Once again, it will last longer.

These are just my own thoughts.:whistling:

GSSF17
03-16-2012, 11:24
And, is Stainless even more accurate than CMV & HF?

Yes is the short answer. A stainless bull or heavy barrel is more accurate. You want accuracy? IN my opinion, go with stainless in .223 wylde.

You want durability and longevity for punching holes and Zombie attacks? CHF

You want the best of both and have $850 to devote to an upper? Get a Noveske N4 Recce.

Just my opinion and experience, anyway.