Need Advice on Thigh/Ankle Holsters [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice on Thigh/Ankle Holsters

LiebeGlock
03-14-2012, 13:10
After getting my CPL (CCW) months ago, I noticed a big change in what I wear. Now, it is mostly hoodies and tennis shoes so I can conceal well while wearing an IWB holster or Outside.

But I am finding myself discouraged when I want to wear something nice. I was thinking about getting a thigh holster and an ankle holster, but was told these can be very uncomfortable. What are your thoughts? Advice?

NOT carrying is NOT an option. My gun is with me 24/7. Thanks!

4Rules
03-14-2012, 21:22
Rusty Sherrick's ultra-light ankle carry (http://c-rusty.com/pages/holsters/Ankle.htm) is pretty comfortable with an airweight J frame.

<http://c-rusty.com/>

At the end of each day though, if you're like me, you'll still be thankful to be able to take it off.

OldSchool64
03-14-2012, 21:38
Check this out...

Thigh Holster (for women's concealed carry) - YouTube

Link might not work, but you get the idea. Try a web search.

LiebeGlock
03-15-2012, 13:42
At the end of each day though, if you're like me, you'll still be thankful to be able to take it off.

Do you wear one that just wraps around the ankle? Or one that also comes up and wraps under the knee?

From what I've researched, the ones that have the extra support under the knee are more comfortable????

LiebeGlock
03-15-2012, 13:44
Check this out...
Link might not work, but you get the idea. Try a web search.

Thanks. I've watched this video a couple of times, but wanted to get other input as well. Faila (The girl in the video) says it perfectly comfortable, but other girls say it's not. I want to do a little more research before I spend $125 on a holster that I won't end up using.

Thanks so much for your help!

Emoore
03-16-2012, 19:48
I have one of the ankle holsters that just wraps around the ankle. It' *horrible*. The thing always rides down my leg and the muzzle of the gun digs into my ankle bone. I end up limping within an hour or two. Now I only use it if I'm driving.

rv4driver
03-17-2012, 19:06
Both of my ankle holsters came with a strap that goes up and attaches to a band above the calf, but I've not used either of the attachments. I originally got an ankle holster that didn't have a rolled edge. Horrible. Cut into the leg badly. Ended up getting one with a rolled edge top and bottom. Don't even know it's on. I don't wear it with the gun on the inside of the ankle, that was very painful within seconds. I wear it on the outside of the right leg. I'm left handed, but shoot right handed so it works out. I'm a guy, and the velcro strap is at the end of it's adjustment on MY ankle, so don't know if it would be tight enough for you.
So, you will probably want to make sure you can return anything you get if it won't work. ALL the reputable companies will let you do that.
I looked at that girl with the inside-the-thigh rig. I just don't see how that won't rip your opposing thigh to shreds in no time just from walking.
Consider small-of-back holsters, too. They print badly if you bend over forward, so be aware of that.

Shondratasha
03-18-2012, 04:30
Is shoulder holster an option?

A comfy shoulder holster with an overblouse or jacket still looks nice.

Queen Bee
03-18-2012, 08:58
The only way id do a thigh holster is if you have a NAA mini/ keltec p32 size , nothing bigger, id rather have to carry my gun in my purse .

LiebeGlock
03-18-2012, 09:58
I looked at that girl with the inside-the-thigh rig. I just don't see how that won't rip your opposing thigh to shreds in no time just from walking.
Consider small-of-back holsters, too. They print badly if you bend over forward, so be aware of that.

I was thinking the same thing about the girl in the video. :dunno:

And thanks for the advice on the back holster, I wore it like that yesterday. Was hard to get used to at first, was hard sitting at first and didn't realize until my uncle pointed out to me that my whole gun was showing when I bent over. yikes! But I'm thinking I could definitely get used to that though.

LiebeGlock
03-18-2012, 10:01
Is shoulder holster an option?

A comfy shoulder holster with an overblouse or jacket still looks nice.

Was definitely thinking of this option, but in the summer, it would be too hot to wear a jacket. But... I did get some light "over blouses" yesterday that I think I could stay cool with, but would carry on my hip or small of my back while cc.

I usually wear a tank top and jeans for summer that's why I thought of an ankle holster. But haven't gotten many good reviews from them.

TXMary
03-18-2012, 16:47
Check out the new pinup collection by Looper. I have the Betty and wear it iwb

4Rules
03-18-2012, 18:15
Do you wear one that just wraps around the ankle? Or one that also comes up and wraps under the knee?

From what I've researched, the ones that have the extra support under the knee are more comfortable????

My options are the Uncle Mike's (http://www.uncle-mikes.com/products/ankle_holsters.html) (which has a optional-use calf strap) and a Rusty Sherrick (http://www.c-rusty.com/pages/holsters/Ankle.htm) (that does not). While I do believe that the calf strap enhanced the Uncle Mike's holster, the Sherrick Ultra Light Ankle Carry (http://www.c-rusty.com/pages/holsters/Ankle.htm) is so much better that I've forgotten all about a calf strap.

Try them and you'll see.

ithaca_deerslayer
03-20-2012, 14:43
Man here. I have an ankle holster like this one (think it is the same).
Amazon.com: Undercover Ankle Holster Black: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51KSRKC2CAL.@@AMEPARAM@@51KSRKC2CAL

Here's the company website
http://www.bluestonesafety.com/products/holsters/

The key thing about it is the fleece backing that you see in the pic. Very important, kinda like a saddle pad for a horse. Very comfortable.

But I wear it with hiking boots, that keeps it from sliding down :)

LiebeGlock
03-22-2012, 09:02
Thanks. I am going to look into the ankle holsters you suggested. I went to the shooting range the other day and asked what kind they had. The guy behind the counter almost had a heart attack. He was telling me NOT to get an ankle holster EVER.

He didn't answer my question though on what gun he was trying to carry in his ankle holster. I wonder if he was carrying a full size on his ankle. I think it definitely matters what gun you plan on carrying on your ankle. Big difference when carrying a subcompact and a full size.

ithaca_deerslayer
03-22-2012, 12:48
Thanks. I am going to look into the ankle holsters you suggested. I went to the shooting range the other day and asked what kind they had. The guy behind the counter almost had a heart attack. He was telling me NOT to get an ankle holster EVER.

He didn't answer my question though on what gun he was trying to carry in his ankle holster. I wonder if he was carrying a full size on his ankle. I think it definitely matters what gun you plan on carrying on your ankle. Big difference when carrying a subcompact and a full size.

My personal preference is IWB. With a cover shirt (like a button down worn loosely over a t-shirt), that is usually not an issue. Good retention, and quick draw, and a gun like a Glock 26 fits (or even a 17 if the cover is bulky enough). All depends on body type and size, of course. Sometimes I downsize my IWB to a Kahr PM9 or a snubby revolver. But a person, whether man or woman, might not always be wearing a cover shirt or loose t-shirt.

If, for whatever reason, I don't want IWB or can't make it work in some situation, then what? One option is the ankle hoster. For me, it works good with a snubby revolver like the 642. Even better with my Ruger LCP .380. I don't think I'd like it with my Glock 26 :) I've probably used the Kahr PM9 ok (same as the CM9), as it weighs the same as the 642 at 15 ounces, but more often the LCP.

With a small light gun, ankle carry is quite comfortable, even all day, in that holster above that has the fleece. You might have to get used to the feeling initially (like a dog with it's paw bandaged). But then you might not even think about it, and might even forget it is there.

ithaca_deerslayer
03-22-2012, 13:16
My wife usually does IWB, but sometimes she uses a purse (made specifically for holster carry with a side zipped pocket).

We also have a fanny pack holster. Works good for going to the beach.

A belly band holster works for my wife sometimes, when her clothing doesn't have a belt.

There is pocket holster carry for something small like the Ruger LCP .380, but her clothes do not always have large enough pockets for that.

The style of my wife's clothes doesn't often lend itself to ankle carry. Your cuffs needs to be full-length and full-size. Not necessarily bell bottoms, but not capri pants either.

I'd say IWB, purse, fanny pack, and belly band are her methods of carry, in that order of preference for her. Me, it is IWB, ankle, and pocket. :)

FLAHOTROD
03-22-2012, 22:47
Would a purse designed to holster a gun be a viable option for you? It takes away all the "comfort" and "printing" issues found in other kinds of carry.

Good luck to you.

LiebeGlock
03-23-2012, 08:36
I'd loose the purse. :( I try not to carry one if I can help it.

Right now I do mostly IWB. But if I'm wearing summer clothes, I am printing SO bad, I just mind as well OC. :(

But Im happy to hear that ankle holsters work for some of you. I just wont put my 26 on my ankle, I'll stick to one of my small 380's. I wear wider pants, so Im hoping that it would work out. :)