Lone Wolf Lightweight Firing Pin Problem (broke) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lone Wolf Lightweight Firing Pin Problem (broke)

Walk Soft
01-13-2012, 16:00
I ordered this thing when it came out 3 or 4 months ago and it had been on backorder since.When I got it last week,I kinda regretted buying it because I'd heard the stories of light strikes.Also I didn't think it could improve much on the trigger I have now on my range gun(Gen 4 17).It has the V4 race connector(2#)LW comp. spring kit and a heavy .25 trigger job.

I've tried all the connectors and the V4 has the lightest, crispest and shortest pull I've found.I have ran over 2000 assorted rounds without issue with this set up.

When I added the light weight striker and dry fired it I was amazed at the difference.To me it felt kinda like a trigger stop(LW) but without the mushiness and ever so slight overtravel.I was afraid it was too good to be true.

So yesterday it rained/snowed here and I got off work early and headed to the range.I put 100 rounds of Federal 115gr FMJ(figured this if any would cause a light strike) and 100 of my normal AA 115gr. FMJ.I had no issues except some of my best groups yet.When I got home I dryfired it a couple times(still in disbelief) and click, the trigger was stuck all the way back.
http://http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z433/lexibilly/striker002.jpghttp://http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z433/lexibilly/striker001.jpg (http://http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z433/lexibilly/striker002.jpghttp://[IMG]http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z433/lexibilly/striker001.jpg[/IMG)

Walk Soft
01-13-2012, 16:03
I've never had any issues with Lone Wolf products before.I'm hoping to get a refund.

dwalker84
01-13-2012, 16:04
Wow - LW's stuff used to be top notch, recently.. not so much.

Walk Soft
01-13-2012, 16:10
I'm stuck on the idea now so I'm gonna pony up and get a better one,maybe titanium.
I wouldn't be happy with a replacement because they're not gonna retool the production or change materials anytime soon.It took me three months to get this one.lol

Made in Austria
01-13-2012, 16:11
I am sorry to hear that. But I am not surprised, they skeletonized it too much. I mean that thing has more holes than a fully grown Swiss cheese. It sure looks cool though. Put the stock firing pin back in and don't look back. Those skeleton pins have no real benefits anyways. The only thing they give you are light strikes and other problems. They are not even reliable with the proper FB spring.

Alcoy
01-13-2012, 16:13
contact them. good business practice to give you a replacement, preferably another but not the same style (with holes).

Walk Soft
01-13-2012, 16:23
I am sorry to hear that. But I am not surprised, they skeletonized it too much. I mean that thing has more holes than a fully grown Swiss cheese. It sure looks cool though. Put the stock firing pin back in and don't look back. Those skeleton pins have no real benefits. The only thing they give you are light strikes and other problems. They not even reliable with the proper FB spring.

I agree about over skeletonizing.But I can't go without a lightweight striker now that i've tried it.The only reason I never bought one before now is they're expensive,relevantly.I thought the ratio of cost to benefit wouldn't be worth it.(LW=$30).Now that I know what the difference is I'll pay more for a stronger one.Besides it's a range gun.All I'm gonna do is test it and test it some more.I'm thinking titanium.

lethal tupperwa
01-13-2012, 16:35
bet the stock one works.

Walk Soft
01-13-2012, 16:45
bet the stock one works.

touche

this coming from an armorer

:supergrin:

smitty704
01-13-2012, 16:46
What are the benefits of the skeletonized strikers?

Walk Soft
01-13-2012, 16:48
What are the benefits of the skeletonized strikers?
lightweight. Faster lock up time. no benefit of this one.:embarassed:

smitty704
01-13-2012, 16:52
Hey, it's your race gun brother. If you like it, that's all that matters. Good luck getting your replacement or refund. I'm sure you won't have any issues.

smitty

bentbiker
01-13-2012, 16:58
Were you using snap caps when you dry-fired? If not, that might well have cushioned it enough. What weight FP spring was in it? I've been waiting for my new gun to try mine. Thanks for the warning. I wonder if this is why it took so long for them to ship -- maybe they saw the problem coming.

Made in Austria
01-13-2012, 17:00
Titanium is a fantastic metal and has lot's of good features. But doesn't do an better job in being a firing pin compared with an firing pin made of heavier hardened steel. Titanium isn't stronger than steel. Titanium is as strong as steel but much less dense. Titanium is interesting for aerospace applications where weight, strength and the melting point is very important. Titanium is also very expensive.

Now smart business people offer firing pins made of Titanium because Titanium sounds cooler and stronger than the boring steel. But, if you know the most important features about those two totally different metals you know right away that a firing pin made of Titanium can't be better than one made of steel. A firing pin has to have some mass the more the better and of course strength and hardness. Of course is locks up slower with an heavier FB, but how much? Can't be more than a few milliseconds.

I would call LWD to tell them what happened. I am sure they give you an refund or an Titanium FB. LWD is a great company. I would get some ammo or a magazine instead, if I were you.

bustedknee
01-13-2012, 17:01
.... I can't go without a lightweight striker now that i've tried it.....

You know,

If you'll just keep that one,

You won't have to worry about additional safeties, extended slide releases, trigger connectors, stippling, grip reductions, sights, beaver tails, magazine holes, mag wells, butt plugs, guide rods, polygonal barrels, replacement springs, and all those other "Glock" problems that keep GT from becoming a ghost town. :animlol:

Walk Soft
01-13-2012, 17:03
Hey, it's your race gun brother. If you like it, that's all that matters. Good luck getting your replacement or refund. I'm sure you won't have any issues.

smitty

It's not a race gun.I've never competed.I always have to work.:crying:
This is just the best trigger I've had buying, everyone's springs,connectors etc..Actually this was the most expensive trigger component I've bought.
My EDC G4 26 is stock internally.

bentbiker
01-13-2012, 17:05
What are the benefits of the skeletonized strikers?Some believe that you can use a lighter FP spring to reduce the trigger pull, and then offset the reduction in FP speed by lightening its weight. Faster lockup was already mentioned by Walk Soft.

Walk Soft
01-13-2012, 17:10
You know,

If you'll just keep that one,

You won't have to worry about additional safeties, extended slide releases, trigger connectors, stippling, grip reductions, sights, beaver tails, magazine holes, mag wells, butt plugs, guide rods, polygonal barrels, replacement springs, and all those other "Glock" problems that keep GT from becoming a ghost town. :animlol:

I'm only 3 for 13 there.

bentbiker
01-13-2012, 17:13
Titanium is a fantastic metal and has lot's of good features. But doesn't do an better job in being a firing pin compared with an firing pin made of heavier hardened steel.
If his goal is to get a lighter FP, and the LW product failed because of a weak spot with all the holes, a solid Ti FP of the same weight, without the weak spot, might work just as well as his 100 rds without the tendency to fail. I'd be open minded about it.

Walk Soft
01-13-2012, 17:22
Were you using snap caps when you dry-fired? If not, that might well have cushioned it enough. What weight FP spring was in it? I've been waiting for my new gun to try mine. Thanks for the warning. I wonder if this is why it took so long for them to ship -- maybe they saw the problem coming.

Without snap caps.It was a reduced power spring.I'm thinking it was just junk,over skeletonized.I was thinking it took so long to get the thing was because it was new and the yet cheapest lightweight striker available.
Could be either or both.

smitty704
01-13-2012, 17:25
It's not a race gun.I've never competed.I always have to work.:crying:
This is just the best trigger I've had buying, everyone's springs,connectors etc..Actually this was the most expensive trigger component I've bought.
My EDC G4 26 is stock internally.

Sorry, I see where you said range gun now, not sure why I thought it was for competition.

I hear ya on the stock carry gun. My G19 gen 4 is stock besides the new XS Big dots I installed yesterday. I have wanted to buy a G17 gen 4 or G34 to just to "trick" it out a little bit for range fun. I have to wait for the finds first! :)

sciolist
01-13-2012, 17:41
My opinion is this cure is worse than the disease, but guess that's beside the point.

If you want to test for light strikes, forget the Federal 115. Federal's primers are the softest/most reliable on the market. I've shot ~20K Federals recently with a #4 spring and never had a failure. That same gun with Winchester primers would probably fail to fire 1 or 2 out of 100. Much more than that with harder primers, which an O/E gun would scarf down no problem.

Walk Soft
01-13-2012, 17:46
Titanium is a fantastic metal and has lot's of good features. But doesn't do an better job in being a firing pin compared with an firing pin made of heavier hardened steel. Titanium isn't stronger than steel. Titanium is as strong as steel but much less dense. Titanium is interesting for aerospace applications where weight, strength and the melting point is very important. Titanium is also very expensive.

Now smart business people offer firing pins made of Titanium because Titanium sounds cooler and stronger than the boring steel. But, if you know the most important features about those two totally different metals you know right away that a firing pin made of Titanium can't be better than one made of steel. A firing pin has to have some mass the more the better and of course strength and hardness. Of course is locks up slower with an heavier FB, but how much? Can't be more than a few milliseconds.

I would call LWD to tell them what happened. I am sure they give you an refund or an Titanium FB. LWD is a great company. I would get some ammo or a magazine instead, if I were you.

I was thinking that if titanium is as strong as steel but without the ultra thin sections of the skeletonized steel striker.The improved structural integrity of the solid titanium alone would make it better.Thanks for the ammo idea.That's probably what I'll do That's where all my money goes anyway.

JBP55
01-13-2012, 17:49
I'm stuck on the idea now so I'm gonna pony up and get a better one,maybe titanium.
I wouldn't be happy with a replacement because they're not gonna retool the production or change materials anytime soon.It took me three months to get this one.lol

I have fired more than 25,000 flawless rounds from a G4 G17 with a Vanek trigger and a Jager firing pin. Both make Quality products.

Walk Soft
01-13-2012, 17:50
My opinion is this cure is worse than the disease, but guess that's beside the point.

If you want to test for light strikes, forget the Federal 115. Federal's primers are the softest/most reliable on the market. I've shot ~20K Federals recently with a #4 spring and never had a failure. That same gun with Winchester primers would probably fail to fire 1 or 2 out of 100. Much more than that with harder primers, which an O/E gun would scarf down no problem.

Thanks I'll try some WWB for future testing.It's more expensive than what I usually shoot though.Sellior&Bellot,AA,BVAC,Federal etc...

Walk Soft
01-13-2012, 17:54
I have fired more than 25,000 flawless rounds from a G4 G17 with a Vanek trigger and a Jager firing pin. Both make Quality products.

Thanks, I'll check out the Jager.

voyager4520
01-13-2012, 21:10
Ouch. It looks like there are a few little pieces missing, you may want to check the slide internals to see if they're stuck inside.

Walk Soft
01-13-2012, 21:14
Ouch. It looks like there are a few little pieces missing, you may want to check the slide internals to see if they're stuck inside.

Yeah I just went to put the stocker back in and noticed the spring cups are gone.They are not in the slide.I know I put them on because I remember them being harder to set than on the stock striker but once I got them on there they were solid.Also I fired 200 rounds out of it.lol.The striker spring,spacer and sleeve were just laying loose in the channel.I'm guessing they fell out and I didn't see them when I only pulled the striker to take the pick.

voyager4520
01-13-2012, 21:21
If you were to put the two pieces of the striker back together, it looks like there may be some pieces of metal missing from it.

Walk Soft
01-13-2012, 21:25
If you were to put the two pieces of the striker back together, it looks like there may be some pieces of metal missing from it.

Oh yes.I didn't find anything.But that probably fell out too.I might not have noticed it because of the size.When I push the two halves together it fits normal until you look closer.

duppyman3
03-14-2012, 14:19
Ordered on february 21, 2012 got the part installed with a lightened striker spring. Put 150 rounds through the gun at the range and no light strikes. Was doing some dry fire practice on march 9, 2012 and the trigger stopped resetting when I racked the slide. Took the gun apart to find the striker was broken. I emailed Lone Wolf a picture to request a refund, but they refused and said they were only offering a replacement at this time.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24829253/lone-wolf-firing-pin.jpg

SCC
03-14-2012, 15:31
I would take the replacement and put the stock back in and sell the lone wolf firing pin !!!

voyager4520
03-15-2012, 05:26
The same thing happened to another person with the LWD firing pin, they posted the picture on this forum and it broke in the same exact place. I'm having trouble finding that thread now.

Edit: Found it:
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1394458

Priapism
03-15-2012, 06:01
I often wonder what would possess someone who has a perfectly functional gun to decide to spend money on a non-Glock firing pin with a lighter spring, or any other senseless mod for that matter. What were you trying to accomplish? What problem did you attempt to solve?

I swear, people must lay around in their bedroom at night fondling their Glocks and asking their Glock - what can I do to you tomorrow?

Radian
03-15-2012, 06:51
Yep. I remember that thread. Even in a race gun that is a pretty major problem. Day ending or at least stage ending failure.

The same thing happened to another person with the LWD firing pin, they posted the picture on this forum and it broke in the same exact place. I'm having trouble finding that thread now.

duppyman3
03-15-2012, 07:08
I often wonder what would possess someone who has a perfectly functional gun to decide to spend money on a non-Glock firing pin with a lighter spring, or any other senseless mod for that matter. What were you trying to accomplish? What problem did you attempt to solve?

I swear, people must lay around in their bedroom at night fondling their Glocks and asking their Glock - what can I do to you tomorrow?

The gun was modified for a purpose, it is an open gun. The same reason people put in after market threaded barrels with comps and optics is the same reason a lightened firing pin was added to this gun.

duppyman3
03-15-2012, 07:11
My Lone Wolf Lightweight Firing Pin broke in the same location as yours, when I requested a refund cause I had the part less than 30 days I was only offered a refund.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=18712984

Shadyscott69
03-15-2012, 07:11
Lighten your stock striker. I have a uspsa gun with over 10k rounds an zero problems.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

duppyman3
03-15-2012, 07:12

Thanks voyager4520 I posted to link to this thread.

M&P15T
03-15-2012, 07:23
While I can appreciate that the idea behind an after-market firing pin was part of building a competition pistol, the question still remains.

What does a lightened firing pin do for a GLOCK pistol? Lighter trigger?

I think that there are mods worth doing, that actually make a difference in the performance of a pistol, and others that are nothing more than time and money wasters.

duppyman3
03-15-2012, 07:56
While I can appreciate that the idea behind an after-market firing pin was part of building a competition pistol, the question still remains.

I think that there are mods worth doing, that actually make a difference in the performance of a pistol, and others that are nothing more than time and money wasters.

Lightened firing pin (striker) helps avoid light primer strikes when you run a lightened striker spring. When you run a ligthened striker spring it lightens the trigger pull.

bentbiker
03-15-2012, 10:12

I think . . .
See post #17.

Duppyman3, were you using snap caps when it failed? I use a Laserlyte laser cartridge when dry-firing, which cushions the FP, and mine is still fine (I probably shouldn't type those words).

Shadyscott69
03-15-2012, 11:47
Pictures of lightened stock Glock striker... Got mine down to 83 gr vs 114 gr stock. Takes about 10 minutes with a Dremel Tool and has lasted many thousands of rounds with zero light strikes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v672/cervelop2k/Striker3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v672/cervelop2k/Striker2.jpg

Walk Soft
03-16-2012, 14:29

I was not expecting much improvement with the lightweight striker,, but I was wrong.It made a big difference.The only reason I bought the Lone Wolf LWS is because it was cheap.After it broke I had to have that feeling again so I replaced it with a Lightening LWS.No problems since.

bentbiker
03-18-2012, 18:54
My Lone Wolf Lightweight Firing Pin broke in the same location as yours, when I requested a refund cause I had the part less than 30 days I was only offered a refund.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=18712984

Duppyman,
Did you mean to type "refund" or "replacement"?

See post #17.

Duppyman3, were you using snap caps when it failed? I use a Laserlyte laser cartridge when dry-firing, which cushions the FP, and mine is still fine (I probably shouldn't type those words).
Well, only 3 days after typing these fateful words, mine failed as well. Only 200 rds and some dry-firing. Obviously a defective design. I would hope that a company with the reputation of LWD would stand behind their product and offer a refund. Guess I'll find out tomorrow. What options will I be offered?

Refund?
Another of the same problematic pieces?
Any incentive to upgrade to the LS lightweight steel or titanium striker?

JBP55
09-17-2012, 18:49
I saw a LWD LW striker Today that broke in the same place during a match. It had less than 1,000 rounds on it.

kashdaddy
09-18-2012, 04:46
try the lightening strike titanium strikers - hands down the best.

titanium striker is essential when you are using a reduce power striker spring so you will eliminate the possibility of light primer strikes. Of course, this is to tweak the trigger weight to get the best pull.

SouthpawG26
09-18-2012, 06:22
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v672/cervelop2k/Striker3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v672/cervelop2k/Striker2.jpg

That was my match gun striker from nearly 10 years ago.

It did eventually snap where the head and the shaft meet, at 50000rds or so.

I replaced it with a Lightning Strike steel striker, lighter than stock (for use with a lighter striker spring), but not quite as light as the LS titanium striker.

I'm still not sure about titanium for a striker: hardness is what counts, and Ti cannot be hardened to the same level of hardened steel, and more importantly, it has been shown to become quite brittle, once hardened.

There were quite a few instances of the titanium striker snapping on match guns (typical brittle fracture), some years ago.

JBP55
09-18-2012, 12:57
I prefer the Jager strikers.

JBS
09-18-2012, 13:12
Interesting old study http://www.dvorakinstruments.com/case_3.htm (http://www.dvorakinstruments.com/case_3.htm)
Is one millisecond worth the possible increase in failure rate?

The average (median) human reaction time is 215 milliseconds.

Walk Soft
09-18-2012, 13:53
try the lightening strike titanium strikers - hands down the best.

titanium striker is essential when you are using a reduce power striker spring so you will eliminate the possibility of light primer strikes. Of course, this is to tweak the trigger weight to get the best pull.

That's what I replaced the LWD LW striker that this thread is about with.Well over 1000 rounds later and no problems.
http://http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z433/lexibilly/pin001.jpg

JBP55
09-18-2012, 17:30
Interesting old study http://www.dvorakinstruments.com/case_3.htm (http://www.dvorakinstruments.com/case_3.htm)

It is about the possibility of using lighter springs and getting a lighter trigger that is totally reliable when the springs are changed on a routine basis.

JBP55
09-18-2012, 17:31
That's what I replaced the LWD LW striker that this thread is about with.Well over 1000 rounds later and no problems.
http://http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z433/lexibilly/pin001.jpg

I have over 37,000 rounds on a Jager striker with zero problems.

dkf
09-18-2012, 17:39
It is easy to see why the Lone Wolf lightweight strikers break they take off entirely too much material and leave a lot of sharp edges.(machining is not so great either) If they heat treat them after machining, cracks can form during the heat treating process even if the final hardness is proper. If it breaks once why would you want a another one that will break again due to the poor design?

JBS
09-18-2012, 17:58
It is about the possibility of using lighter springs and getting a lighter trigger that is totally reliable when the springs are changed on a routine basis.

Yes I know, I just thought the measurements interesting.

kashdaddy
09-19-2012, 14:24
That one millisecond is 29% less snatching transferred to the muzzle.

Trico556
12-05-2012, 10:20
Lonewolf as of 4/26/2012 has revamped this design. the holes are MUCH smaller now. i would gather its a lot stronger. havent heard of anyone breaking it.

I have one, with a lonewolf 4lb spring, and im still against these lightweight pins....i get light strikes EVERY TIME.

i might get lucky and have 1 round go off in a 15 round mag..

I am going back to the factory parts...i believe this aftermarket crap doesnt have the R&D that Glock Almighty put in.

JBP55
12-05-2012, 12:37
Lonewolf as of 4/26/2012 has revamped this design. the holes are MUCH smaller now. i would gather its a lot stronger. havent heard of anyone breaking it.

I have one, with a lonewolf 4lb spring, and im still against these lightweight pins....i get light strikes EVERY TIME.

i might get lucky and have 1 round go off in a 15 round mag..

I am going back to the factory parts...i believe this aftermarket crap doesnt have the R&D that Glock Almighty put in.

I have never seen or heard of one that bad, you must be shooting ammunition with hard primers. Your OEM parts should make the pistol fire every time.

Trico556
12-05-2012, 20:28
I have never seen or heard of one that bad, you must be shooting ammunition with hard primers. Your OEM parts should make the pistol fire every time.

Its interesting i experimented with a few brands. the most i ran through was the Federal JHP ammo..but even then...only a 4 of them out of a 15 round mag cycled.
the other brands were Remington FMJ form walmart and some brownbear steel cased crap ammo.

I am bummed really about it. but hey...soon ill have the factory pin and spring, im reeealy hoping the problem goes bye bye in the next few days.

i loaded up the failed ones and struck them a second time...then a third time...still no detonation lol.

(i know thats not the smartest thing to do lol usually when i get a missfire i discard the round asap)

bustedknee
12-06-2012, 14:09
....i believe this aftermarket crap doesnt have the R&D that Glock Almighty put in.

Sounds like a good signature line, to me.

Trico556
12-06-2012, 14:27
Sounds like a good signature line, to me.

haha well, i took a factory pin and spring to the range today. i went through 100 rounds. only one of them missfired.

I guess im going to leave it be like that.

whenever i tinker with something i open up a can of worms.

on a side note the whole "Glock almighty" thing kinda made me chuckle too.