New S&W M&P 15T [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New S&W M&P 15T

automatic slim
03-14-2012, 15:27
Walked in the local shop and picked it up. Couple questions: How can you tell the type of barrel (Bull, etc.)?

The hand-guards are not what is in the manual. They are made by Troy Mfg. and are bolted on. Not a big deal to me, but why would the manual not have this in it?

Anyone have any pro's and con's? This is my first AR, and it does feel good in my hands. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, hopefully this weekend..

I appreciate any advice.

:wavey:

WoodenPlank
03-14-2012, 15:36
You'd have to pull the hanguards, but I'm pretty sure all the M&P barrels are straight-profile, roughly government type barrels.

The Troy handguards come on the T-model M&P rifles. The manual is probably just a generic AR manual.

The M&P ARs seem to be good quality, but it really comes down to price. Assuming the one you got is the same as I see online (Troy rail system, front and rear Troy BUIS), make sure to realize you got a nearly $200 rail and almost $250 in sights on it out the box. Those additions make a standard M&P usually worth ~$750 suddenly worth quite a bit more.

automatic slim
03-14-2012, 15:53
You'd have to pull the hanguards, but I'm pretty sure all the M&P barrels are straight-profile, roughly government type barrels.

The Troy handguards come on the T-model M&P rifles. The manual is probably just a generic AR manual.

The M&P ARs seem to be good quality, but it really comes down to price. Assuming the one you got is the same as I see online (Troy rail system, front and rear Troy BUIS), make sure to realize you got a nearly $200 rail and almost $250 in sights on it out the box. Those additions make a standard M&P usually worth ~$750 suddenly worth quite a bit more.

Thanks. :wavey: No carry handle. The sights say "M&P", and flip up. I was looking for some nights sights, at least for the front. Any suggestions?

WoodenPlank
03-14-2012, 16:10
Thanks. :wavey: No carry handle. The sights say "M&P", and flip up. I was looking for some nights sights, at least for the front. Any suggestions?

I wouldn't bother - put that money towards a quality red dot and weapon light - both of those will serve you FAR better than a tritium front sight.

If your sights look the same as what you see in the photos on this page (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_765653_-1_757913_757910_757787_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y), then you have re-branded Troy sights.

automatic slim
03-14-2012, 16:14
I wouldn't bother - put that money towards a quality red dot and weapon light - both of those will serve you FAR better than a tritium front sight.

If your sights look the same as what you see in the photos on this page (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_765653_-1_757913_757910_757787_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y), then you have re-branded Troy sights.

I believe you're right. Thanks!

cyphertext
03-14-2012, 16:28
Sounds like the rifle you picked up is left over stock, since it has Troy handguards. S&W started producing their own railed handguards for the M&P 15T, from my understanding. The barrel is also different on the new version.

automatic slim
03-14-2012, 16:51
Sounds like the rifle you picked up is left over stock, since it has Troy handguards. S&W started producing their own railed handguards for the M&P 15T, from my understanding. The barrel is also different on the new version.

What's the difference in the barrels?

cyphertext
03-14-2012, 17:44
What's the difference in the barrels?

The specs look like the new barrel is the same as the barrel on the M&P 15 Sport. Melonite treated with 1:8 twist and 5r rifling.

boomhower
03-14-2012, 19:27

Troy makes a Tritium insert for there front sights. Skip the rear sight. With proper shooting technique they will be worthless, front is all you need. Night sights on AR's get a lot of flak but I will always have a front NS on mine, it helps as much in the daytime as it does at night for me.

WoodenPlank
03-14-2012, 19:31
Troy makes a Tritium insert for there front sights. Skip the rear sight. With proper shooting technique they will be worthless, front is all you need. Night sights on AR's get a lot of flak but I will always have a front NS on mine, it helps as much in the daytime as it does at night for me.

One problem with night sights (even front only) in an AR - people tend to cover the target with the dot, much as you do with many combat pistol sights. AR sights are not meant to be used in this manner, and shooting with the dot as your POA can result in needed to seriously adjust your front sight elevation.

M&P15T
03-15-2012, 07:13
There are two different M&P15T model rifles from S&W. The newer version has a no-name quad rail, Magpul flip sights, Melonited 1/85R barrel. The original model has Troy sights and quad-rail, and a 1/9 chrome lined barrel.

Sounds like you go the (better) older version, so it should have a medium weight, 16", M4 pattern barrel profile. And it sounds like they put the same manual in the box for both versions. Can you share what you paid for it?

RatDrall
03-15-2012, 08:46
One problem with night sights (even front only) in an AR - people tend to cover the target with the dot, much as you do with many combat pistol sights. AR sights are not meant to be used in this manner, and shooting with the dot as your POA can result in needed to seriously adjust your front sight elevation.

I would think that at the ranges a tritium sight would be used, the elevation change wouldn't matter.

In fact, I know that this is the case because I used a Meprolight tritium front sight on my old M&P15 and it worked just fine, shooting torso sized targets in low light.

As far as shooting at longer ranges, where the elevation change would matter....If it's so dark that you can't see the outline of the entire front sight, you shouldn't be shooting anyway. At that range, who knows what you are shooting at?

MD357
03-15-2012, 09:14
I'm gonna second WP on just getting a quality red dot instead of tritium. Just with anything, shoot the AR for a bit and then decide what you want. It will save you money in the long run.

automatic slim
03-15-2012, 09:28
There are two different M&P15T model rifles from S&W. The newer version has a no-name quad rail, Magpul flip sights, Melonited 1/85R barrel. The original model has Troy sights and quad-rail, and a 1/9 chrome lined barrel.

Sounds like you go the (better) older version, so it should have a medium weight, 16", M4 pattern barrel profile. And it sounds like they put the same manual in the box for both versions. Can you share what you paid for it?

That's some of the info I was looking for. Thanks! I paid $1,195+ tax. I saw one online for $1,700....:wow:

cyphertext
03-15-2012, 10:56
That's some of the info I was looking for. Thanks! I paid $1,195+ tax. I saw one online for $1,700....:wow:

S&W shows MSRP of $1700... Like WoodenPlank said, you got $450 worth of accessories in the rail and sights, so it doesn't sound like you did bad at all.

SCSU74
03-15-2012, 11:01

It is a requirement for us to have them. Ended up buying xs's offering which is still a blade and not a dot. Was only $30 so I cant be too upset. Major downside is adjustments must be a full rotation as opposed to mepro's 1/4 turn.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine