Ever feel overwhelmed by prepping? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ever feel overwhelmed by prepping?

nightwolf1974
03-14-2012, 16:43
I've been a survival oriented person since I was in grade school( I'm 37 now). I used to cache cans of ravioli, matches, knives, homemade spears, BB guns, and tire irons in my tree house. (Yes, I was very afftected by NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD.)

Learned how to shoot young and how to shoot long distance before I could drive. Played survival games with my friends in school. Spend lots of time in the woods. Learned how to use a bow very effectivly. Did the whole Y2K thing, but was a prepper before that.

Anyway, I've started dusting off plans and restocking certain "items" a couple of years ago.

Sometimes I get a little discouraged and a bit overwhelmed trying to think of contiginsies(sp?). It's bad enough I have to do this and not be able talk to people in everyday coversation. Does anyone eles ever get overwhelmed at times prepping?

thesurefire
03-14-2012, 16:55
No, because its a lifestyle, not a goal.

I suspect your trouble is thinking of where you want to be, vs where you are, and feeling overwhelmed by how far apart they are.

I put forth effort to be prepared, but if youre losing sleep or getting stress from it, its time to take a step back and look at whats really important in your life. Preps should ease stress and tension, as well as feelings of helplessness. If they dont, you may have other things bothering you, be working too hard at it, or be depressed due to a chemical imbalance.

SilverCity
03-14-2012, 22:29
Well put.

SC

Javelin
03-14-2012, 22:44
Naw. But I am not out'n'out crazy like some of you.

I just stock for ~5 weeks disaster.

If I need to get a small underground bunker to hide in for years I will just go to Costco.com and buy this one.

http://moneyforstuff.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/coffin.jpg

Lone Kimono
03-14-2012, 22:45
Just when I look at my credit card bill ;)

In all seriousness though life is about balance. It's great to be prepared, but not if you aren't enjoying life. As bad as things are we are so inherently blessed in this country. Maybe you should spend a bit more time prepping to enjoy life.

Think of prepping as a game you can never win. It's virtually impossible to be prepared for every situation. Just do the best you can. The rest is in our maker's hands.

Javelin
03-14-2012, 22:47
And for the Zombie invasion I got that covered too.

I've got a few dozen treadmills I will strategically place around my home, a wheelbarrow loaded full of sodas with other personal demand items, and a debarked cat for early detection.

;)

9jeeps
03-14-2012, 23:05
Seems like most of the preppers I've met are so obsessive about their lifestyle they make huge mistakes in their obsession.

Recalling most hideouts can be breeched by cutting off air supply or other utilities. Most are easily spotted or found.

Why not build an underground home and fortify it?:dunno:

Javelin
03-14-2012, 23:23
Seems like most of the preppers I've met are so obsessive about their lifestyle they make huge mistakes in their obsession.

Recalling most hideouts can be breeched by cutting off air supply or other utilities. Most are easily spotted or found.

Why not build an underground home and fortify it?:dunno:

Cost? :dunno:

TangoFoxtrot
03-15-2012, 04:49
I've been a survival oriented person since I was in grade school( I'm 37 now). I used to cache cans of ravioli, matches, knives, homemade spears, BB guns, and tire irons in my tree house. (Yes, I was very afftected by NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD.)

Learned how to shoot young and how to shoot long distance before I could drive. Played survival games with my friends in school. Spend lots of time in the woods. Learned how to use a bow very effectivly. Did the whole Y2K thing, but was a prepper before that.

Anyway, I've started dusting off plans and restocking certain "items" a couple of years ago.

Sometimes I get a little discouraged and a bit overwhelmed trying to think of contiginsies(sp?). It's bad enough I have to do this and not be able talk to people in everyday coversation. Does anyone eles ever get overwhelmed at times prepping?

NO! I Don't. I don't let it run my life. Yes it is important to be prepared, but it is more like a hobbie. I just can't live in a state of fear. Life still goes on enjoy it while its good.

Bilbo Bagins
03-15-2012, 07:28
Nahh, I gotten to the point where I barely think about it.

Guns & Ammo
Food
Water
Camping/survival Gear

And with that I'm done. That will cover everything from Earthquake to Zombies. Its like making improvements on an old home you just bought. You fix some things, get the new carpets, Re shingle the leaky roof, redo the kitchen, new windows, and then you look around and realize you are done.

Then its just a matter of upkeep. Switch out the water every year, the food depending on expiration, and maintenance and occasional upgrades on the guns and gear. Its that simple. Don't drive yourself nuts, just get those 4 things squared away and you will be fine.

LSUAdman
03-15-2012, 08:03
Yes, but only occasionally.

The way my wife and I look at it is the same was you would contributing to an IRA or 401k account. A little, over time, will protect you and surprise you when you need it.

Where I think some people get hung up is that they prepare for what they think will happen tomorrow, and when tomorrow doesnt happen or when they don't see that fully stocked storm shelter they get upset and overwhelmed.

Make small goals for yourself. Say something like, by the end of the month I will have one month of food saved up, or I will save an extra $200 and put that in the safe. Maybe you buy a 5 gallon gas can and fill at up each time you go to get gas.

Prepping should be both manageable and forgetable. If it's the only thing going on in your life, then you will probably feel overburdened.

nightwolf1974
03-15-2012, 16:03
I don't want you guys to get me wrong, I just get a little flustered at times. Sometimes i feel like I'm baning my head against the wall. And I kept up with it after it cost me one relationship( she said I was crazy trying to preppare for the Y2K thing that never happened).

And the surefire is partially right.....sometimes I get bummed when where I am is not where I want to be.

I do get the occasional blues about this lifestyle but then I step back and remember why I started to do this....my family and my pets.

nightwolf1974
03-15-2012, 16:06
No, because its a lifestyle, not a goal.

I suspect your trouble is thinking of where you want to be, vs where you are, and feeling overwhelmed by how far apart they are.

I put forth effort to be prepared, but if youre losing sleep or getting stress from it, its time to take a step back and look at whats really important in your life. Preps should ease stress and tension, as well as feelings of helplessness. If they dont, you may have other things bothering you, be working too hard at it, or be depressed due to a chemical imbalance.

thanx bro!:wavey:

LASTRESORT20
03-15-2012, 16:09
~ "Ever feel overwhelmed by prepping?" ~

I look at it as an Insurance Policy.....and hope I dont have to ever cash in...but feel good I have the insurance.....never overwhelmed....I enjoy Preparedness.

LSUAdman
03-15-2012, 18:17
I step back and remember why I started to do this....my family and my pets.

And that's the beauty of it. If absolutely nothing happens, you have created a great foundation for the next generation.

Wouldnt it have been great if our parents had prepped a little?

thesurefire
03-15-2012, 18:35
thanx bro!:wavey:

Of course, We've all been there at one point or the other, where life just seems to get a little out of hand, and its valuable to have like minded people around to give an outside perspective.

It sounds like you're working towards being better prepared, and as long as you're doing that, you're on the right track. :cheers:

kirgi08
03-15-2012, 18:46
And that's the beauty of it. If absolutely nothing happens, you have created a great foundation for the next generation.

Wouldn't it have been great if our parents had prepped a little?

This nation didn't have the problems back then that we got now.It was the most productive time in our history.The depression was history and people were far better off.

Now we have a ton of reasons ta prep,caused by multiple sources and events.The political arena and problems we shoulda handled years ago.'08.

sebecman
03-15-2012, 18:48
It just makes sense to have a little bit set aside for your family, why rely on walmart day by day? Your parents and their parents sure as hell did not.

Aceman
03-15-2012, 18:59
Dude - if you are worried about it you are probably NOT EVEN CLOSE TO READY!!!!!!!

You better listen to your gut and step up your game! Clearly you have slacked off and now you are feeling the pressure - like you should!

Listen to your gut - you are clearly not ready!!!!!!!!!! In fact, you better stop posting and run out and get some mountain house right now!!!!!

JK-linux
03-15-2012, 19:12
No. I set a goal for 3 months of never having to leave the house be it bitter winter or scorching summer with no outside services. I have it. I do worry about a national "near, but not quite" financial disaster where there's no rioting, no outlaw behavior, no one to get mad at, no frustration that goes anywhere beyond people holding signs of anger at a protest, just ongoing grey misery and no widespread outrage. Sometimes I think it would be tougher to make it through that with any dignity than chaos where you can shoot almost anything that moves.

SFCSMITH(RET)
03-15-2012, 20:27
Sometimes.. when I need to do several loaves of bread.. and I am standing there cranking on the mill... I feel.. wait.... nope.

We are near to living a self sustained life as it is. Our power has been out for as long as seven days straight (ice storm) We were fine. Even for the 4 days the water was out. Could have stayed out as far as we were concerned.

Never worried, but my life has always had a bend towards prepardness and self reliance.

sebecman
03-15-2012, 21:03
Our power has been out for as long as seven days straight (ice storm) We were fine. Even for the 4 days the water was out. Could have stayed out as far as we were concerned.

Never worried, but my life has always had a bend towards prepardness and self reliance.

Ditto, But location is key. Why people chose to live where there is no water, no good soil, no wildlife..etc..is beyond me.

coastal4974
03-15-2012, 21:04
Not really, I just buy one or two things everytime I go shopping. I have more this week than I did last week, and like has been said, it's a life style, sorta like health and fitness. You're never really done.

Linh40
03-17-2012, 19:52
Need to chill out and enjoy life. I mean if your whole life revolves around prepping, that's not much of a life, I mean if it makes you happy then cool.

For me it's not about having a mountain of supplies it's about being prepared and enjoying life.

I mean love doesn't pay the bills so likewise prepping doesn't pay the bills.

kirgi08
03-17-2012, 20:41
We enjoy it,we've seen the world so being s/s is a relaxing and worthwhile activity.'08.

Linh40
03-17-2012, 20:51
Well let me rephrase my previous message.

Being prepared allows me to continue to have the same (or better) lifestyle after any changes.

I prepare to enjoy life and I don't live my life to prepare.

racerford
03-17-2012, 22:01
........ And I kept up with it after it cost me one relationship( she said I was crazy trying to preppare for the Y2K thing that never happened).

She was wrong, the danger of Y2K was real. It took hundred's of thousands of people working their tails off over a few years to prevent it from being a disaster in the computerized world. Those that deny it, did not live it.

As long as you did not just throw everything out after the anti-climax, it was not a waste. That would be llike saying you paid for homeowners insurace last year, and had no claims so therefore you must be crazy because nothing ever happened.

blueyedmule
03-25-2012, 09:44
Stick with shorter goals, keep your cost down, and manage your anxiety so it doesn't become obsessive to the point of ruining relationships. And, coming to relationships, it's important to be in one where you share the same world view. It's tough to do prepping when the missus thinks credit cards are for being maxed and there is no life after Target.

My 2c.

eracer
03-25-2012, 10:04
To me, prepping exists to allow me to survive without running water or access to public food sources for a month.

Longer than that, and I'm unwilling to invest the time needed to prepare.

So I concern myself with shelter, fire, water, ammo, and food for that length of time.

Mostly I envision a week in my home to be the most likely need. But I have a BOL where I can live for a month or two if need be.

I'm not where I need to be today, but I get closer to it every month.

sebecman
03-26-2012, 08:33
She was wrong, the danger of Y2K was real. It took hundred's of thousands of people working their tails off over a few years to prevent it from being a disaster in the computerized world. Those that deny it, did not live it.

I was one of those people. Made good money too...wish it would happen again!

SFCSMITH(RET)
03-26-2012, 11:21

As long as you did not just throw everything out after the anti-climax, it was not a waste. That would be llike saying you paid for homeowners insurace last year, and had no claims so therefore you must be crazy because nothing ever happened.

I was one of those people. Made good money too...wish it would happen again!

So was my wife.. Insurance companies paid LARGE amounts of money to make sure their gear/software were up to the task.. We are still playing with the "$ bonus $" she pulled in in that last 18 months of the last millennium. An extra grand a day +/- adds up pretty quick. Especially if you are to busy to spend it at the time..lol

jason10mm
03-26-2012, 14:12
You gotta make it fun. Use your preps for camping. Eat your preps. Rehearse it. That way the preps don't become a $$$ sink and relationship deadweight, they become a lifestyle that makes you "quirky" and "cute".

Chicks will dig it, even some who shave :)

But yeah, modern living is fundamentally incompatible with the SHTF scenario. Living off the grid and providing for your own food is a full time job and commitment, very few can do it, especially when the likelihood of NEEDING that lifestyle is pretty low. But even just a few months worth of preps and an assortment of camping gear puts you way ahead of the game.

Power out? Bet those sorority girls across the street would just LOVE to come over and use your solar show....hmmm, seem to have drifted off topic....

SFCSMITH(RET)
03-26-2012, 14:31
Chicks will dig it, even some who shave :)

But yeah, modern living is fundamentally incompatible with the SHTF scenario. Living off the grid and providing for your own food is a full time job and commitment, very few can do it, especially when the likelihood of NEEDING that lifestyle is pretty low. But even just a few months worth of preps and an assortment of camping gear puts you way ahead of the game.

Power out? Bet those sorority girls across the street would just LOVE to come over and use your solar show....hmmm, seem to have drifted off topic....

It becomes a lifestyle.. the off the grid, or less use of it anyway, and you just do it. Like heat. We now heat exclusively with wood. (we have a heat pump, hasn't been in heat mode in 2 years) So, somewhere in my winter/spring I have to find time to get 3 cords of wood found/fell/bucked/split/stacked. And because I am "prepared" I have over the last several years C/S/S more than a years worth. The wood I stacked this morning (scrounged, bucked, split last week) near to 3 cords worth, is actually for the winter of 2015'-16'. If something should happen to me.. say eaten, or worse, partially eaten, by a bear, I have several years before it becomes a real problem.

NecoDude
03-26-2012, 14:48
Humm... an on-line dating service for Preppers... "Magnesium.com" - that way the OP knows his better half has the same values as him. But seriously nightwolf, take it as serious as any hobby and relax. Otherwise the stress will get you long before the zombies do.

Good luck.

Oso
03-26-2012, 19:54
Prepping is something I'm thinking about getting into a little more seriously. I currently keep a bug-out bag with me, but would like to expand the prepping for the whole family. I find the most frustrating part is getting buy-in from my wife. She tends to be one of those people who are always in condition white and figures somebody else will always take care of her. Luckily my son is all for it as he is a huge zombie/apocolypse scenario nut. We have a blast verbally running through scenarios together.

Getting started has me kind of overwhelmed. I'm struggling with space for storage and money for supplies. Our house is pretty small and with six of us living here, there is not much space for extra storage. I should have started this years ago, and it would have been easier. Oh well, better late then never.