School me on long term garden seed storage [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : School me on long term garden seed storage

glockeglock
03-14-2012, 17:13

sebecman
03-14-2012, 17:52
I just buy them at the feed store and keep them cool and dry. Like anything you need to rotate every few years. Most if not all seeds will keep well beyond 1 year if stored well.

Every couple years buy some more and put the old ones in another box, don't throw them away. Even when they do get real old you'll still have many per pack that are still viable.

Don't go for those "survival seed packs" just a big waste of money IMO.

Donn57
03-14-2012, 18:23
See, now if you'd been watching Doomsday Preppers you'd know how to do it! :supergrin:

glockeglock
03-15-2012, 14:19

Donn57
03-15-2012, 15:11
Seriously, tho, seeds are like any other thing that you want to store long term. Keep them cool and dry. If you want to further extend their life put them in sealed mylar bags and refrigerate or freeze them. Depending on the type of seed, properly stored seeds may remain viable for 10+ years.

Look for heirloom seeds because the veggies that are grown from heirloom seeds will create viable seeds themselves which when planted will result in the same plant/veggie. This allows you to replace the seeds you used and to build up a seed bank.

Donn57
03-15-2012, 15:15
Duplicate post!

gotplastic
03-15-2012, 17:27
They are not expiration dates; they just indicate the plant year the seeds are intended for to get the germination rate from the seller. You can keep them longer, but the germination rate will drop. Best way to preserve them is to vacuum seal and freeze.

The store bought seeds will usually generate a plant with seeds that can not be used to produce more seeds. The 'survival' seeds can be found on ebay for a good price usually and you are also able to use their seeds to replant. This is just the basic info.

sebecman
03-15-2012, 18:44
They are not expiration dates; they just indicate the plant year the seeds are intended for to get the germination rate from the seller. You can keep them longer, but the germination rate will drop.

^ this is correct.