Legal issues to 33rd mag for CC? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Legal issues to 33rd mag for CC?

Lindenwood
03-15-2012, 13:41
Okay, so I started the thread in General Glocking about the practicality of a 33rd mag, which was actually a huge success as far as participation and information / opinion sharing. I ended up picking one up, based on the "have it an not need it" mentality which goes with carrying a firearm in the first place, not to mention wearing a seatbelt, locking my doors, paying for health insurance, etc.

After previoualy rearranging my pocket organization (I EDC a lot of stuff in my pockets, lol), I can pretty easily carry it in my offhand front pocket, and still carry the spare G26 mag in the IWB pouch I have for it. I then realized it is actually surprisingly easy to carry concealed in place of that spare G26 mag, which would give me easier access and better retention than in the pocket, and obviously more rounds than the G26 mag.

Since it isnt any more difficult for me to carry the stick mag, I have kindof conaidered doing it.

However, my only remaining concern is image, regardless of how justified I was in reloading in the first place. The one particular scenario I mean is if, for example, the gunfight goes on long enough that I empty my initial 13 rounds, and so I lock in the 33rder. At some point before I empty the mag, the enemy is subdued to the point where all I have to do is hold them at gunpoint until the police arrive. Assuming it is otherwise a good shoot, how big of a legal issue could it be for the police to report that I had a 33rd mag locked in the gun whenever they arrived?

I am honestly thinking that it shouldnt be much different than carrying a couple 17rd mags, though I know the idea of extra-capacity mags is somehow terrifying to some people, and that is my real concern.

Specific cases would be preferred, but any experience or anecdotes about someone having these kinds of issues. Whether someone got in trouble for carrying several spare mags, or for using an aftermarket high-cap mag (like a drum in a Saiga or AR), it would all be good to know!

Thanks.

xmanhockey7
03-15-2012, 13:57
I am not a lawyer but I don't think them finding you with a 33 round mag will lead to a lawsuit against you unless, of course, it's illegal in you state to have a mag with that capacity. A legal SD shooting is just that. Idk how good your state law is in regards to castle doctrine/stand your ground but most shall issue states will cover you. A lawyer can try to use anything against you if the case goes to court. I heard a case where a woman shot her husband and the prosecutor attempted to find her guilty for premeditated murder. One of the things brought up in court was the fact the gun she used had JHP and she shot him center mass. Now if it wasn't for the premeditated murder they probably wouldn't have sought anything just based on the JHP and center mass.

Merkavaboy
03-15-2012, 18:38
If you decide to carry a 33 rounder, just be ready to be able to articulate to Judge and Jury why you felt it necessary to carry said magazine. An anti-gun prosecutor or plaintiff's attorney can easily make you look like a wannabe "Rambo" by simply calling a local LE Range Master as an Expert Witness who's agency issues Glocks and simply asking such questions as: Does your agency routinely issue 33 round mags for duty use? Does your agency even allow officers to carry 33 round mags on their duty belt? (I'm sure you get the idea).

It might be better to just carry standard 17 round G17 mags instead of a 33 rounder.

Lampshade
03-15-2012, 18:44
Even as someone that carries a gun, if someone tells me they carry a 33 rounder for EDC I'm at best going to think they're a weirdo.

As long as the mag is legal in your area, there's no statutory concerns, just concern over how others will perceive your carry choice.

cowboy1964
03-15-2012, 18:55
I'd rather have 2 17 rounders than 1 33 rounder. For one thing it's one more round (and apparently round count is important to you). For another it provides extra redundancy. For another the "weirdo" factor goes away.

Out of curiosity, what ammo do you carry?

Here in Ohio the mag itself is legal but if you were to load 31 rounds in it you would be committing a crime. No way I would even open myself up to such an allegation.

Glockrunner
03-15-2012, 19:04
Get rid of the 33 rd mag for for CC.
Carry two 17 rd mags instead.
If you have a malufunction in the magazine (any back up mag), you're the screwed pooch.
Carry two and if that situation should happen, you'll have a fresh mag to go to!

jack76590
03-15-2012, 20:17
If you believe the BG could get within arms reach, then the 33 rounder could make it easier to lever the glock out of your hand. Also if you are moving the longer mag could catch on something. Still in cases of a static defense or even where you feel the need for a lot of ammo on tap the 33 rounders has advantages. But overall I see it as a special situations item. Or to drive Brady bunch people mad.

HexHead
03-15-2012, 20:27
We should all carry them. Maybe it it'll give Carolyn McCarthy a stroke?

Lindenwood
03-15-2012, 20:37
Hmm. Yeah I might just keep using the second G26 mag as a spare (both of them with +2s, though). The option for pocket-carry of the 33rder still exists for any special occasions, of course.

On a related note, two more questions:
1) What do you guys think of keeping it loaded in the G26 for HD (my only defensive firearm is my G26)?

2) Do you guys think this kind of negative image would apply to those who, for example, keep a long gun in their car in addition to their handgun?

Cowboy 1964, I am currently carrying 124gr Golden Sabers, standard pressure. I go back and forth between those and XTPs, though (I like the XTPs for their consistent performance and deep penetration).

ScottieG59
03-15-2012, 22:38
I have a few of the 33 round Glock mags and have never used any of them yet. I also have other large capacity pistol mags I have used in carbines.

My feeling about the large pistol mags is that they may have reliability problems. I have had a few bind up on the range.

I do not prepare to fire that many rounds in a defensive situation. If I did want to lay down tons of fire, I would go with several smaller magazines before a single big one.

I also would not want to have to deal with explaining why I needed the 33 round mags. It may make it look less likely that defense was the goal.

I think carrying the standard load a police officer carries is fine and reasonable. If I needed more, I should carry a rifle and travel in a squad.

Maybe it is time to do some additional training and consider the tactics of surviving as a civilian.

Out there in fly-over country...

Lindenwood
03-15-2012, 23:16
Maybe it is time to do some additional training and consider the tactics of surviving as a civilian.

Please don't assume I haven't :) . But, all the training in the world doesn't matter if I run out of ammo before I am done needing it, heh. I suppose I could break out the throwing knives at that point, but let's call that a quarternary option :P .

Basically, nobody has ever wished for a smaller gun or less ammo during a gunfight. Beforehand they might complain about the extra weight or bulk, and afterward (for a civilian) they might complain about any legal reprocussions. I am not discounting those things--I wouldn't have considered carrying the 33rder until I doscivered how easy it was, and I am obviously concerned enough about the legal issues to not carry it--but again, the original justification was simply to have it and not need it :) .

EAJuggalo
03-16-2012, 07:15
What is the political climate in the area you're usually in? That is going to be the biggest factor if you ever need to use it in a defensive situation. Remember that the prosecutor can bring it up if he chooses and the jury will decide if it means anything. Now in some areas where people are just plain scared of guns it will carry more weight than someplace where there's more than a fair chance one of the jurors carries.

I do know a State Trooper from IN that carries a 31rd mag on his belt, I gave it to him.
I would remove the +2's from any magazine you're going to stake your life on. I want the gun as it's designed to run from the factory, same reason I don't mess around with the trigger, recoil spring, barrel or anything else.

Bill Lumberg
03-16-2012, 10:13
If it's legal, have fun with it, but it's hilarious. Unless you live in Afghanistan, it's just a odd, contrived choice for permit carry. Okay, so I started the thread in General Glocking about the practicality of a 33rd mag, which was actually a huge success as far as participation and information / opinion sharing. I ended up picking one up, based on the "have it an not need it" mentality which goes with carrying a firearm in the first place, not to mention wearing a seatbelt, locking my doors, paying for health insurance, etc.

After previoualy rearranging my pocket organization (I EDC a lot of stuff in my pockets, lol), I can pretty easily carry it in my offhand front pocket, and still carry the spare G26 mag in the IWB pouch I have for it. I then realized it is actually surprisingly easy to carry concealed in place of that spare G26 mag, which would give me easier access and better retention than in the pocket, and obviously more rounds than the G26 mag.

Since it isnt any more difficult for me to carry the stick mag, I have kindof conaidered doing it.

However, my only remaining concern is image, regardless of how justified I was in reloading in the first place. The one particular scenario I mean is if, for example, the gunfight goes on long enough that I empty my initial 13 rounds, and so I lock in the 33rder. At some point before I empty the mag, the enemy is subdued to the point where all I have to do is hold them at gunpoint until the police arrive. Assuming it is otherwise a good shoot, how big of a legal issue could it be for the police to report that I had a 33rd mag locked in the gun whenever they arrived?

I am honestly thinking that it shouldnt be much different than carrying a couple 17rd mags, though I know the idea of extra-capacity mags is somehow terrifying to some people, and that is my real concern.

Specific cases would be preferred, but any experience or anecdotes about someone having these kinds of issues. Whether someone got in trouble for carrying several spare mags, or for using an aftermarket high-cap mag (like a drum in a Saiga or AR), it would all be good to know!

Thanks.

RyanNREMTP
03-16-2012, 10:19
Is the area you live in that bad?

Lindenwood
03-16-2012, 13:50
I live in Oklahoma, and have had nothing but positive responses to my CCW and NRA stickers in regards to interactions with LEOs. I am really only worried about the judge or jury in a civil court being swayed by the emotional appeals of some misinformed prosecutor.

Warp
03-16-2012, 14:05
I mentioned this is a somewhat similar thread recently, but if it's that bad where you live/go, assuming not being there is not an option at this point, I thinks a kevlar vest would be a good idea. If the gunfight is such that you run through your 13 or so rounds, reload and keep shooting there is a decent chance you will get shot.

Personally I don't see any good reason not to simply carry an additional (full capacity but standard dimensions) magazine or two whose much more typical length makes carry/concealment a lot easier...but to each their own.

Lindenwood
03-16-2012, 16:26
Oh, I thought you guys meant the political climate. No, this area is quite safe, but statistics don't mean jack to the person getting stabbed.

Again, there isn't a perceived need for the mag. It is just that, since it doesn't bother me any more than carrying the much smaller mags, why not**?

**This is the question I was trying to answer :) . Whether or not there was a drawback to carrying the larger mag as a spare. Again, comfort and concealment are not problems. I am wearing it under a t-shirt right now, actually, and it is not printing, or causing any more discomfort than anything else I carry. The only thing I was worried about was whether or not it could become a legitimate issue in court.

I don't have any other mags except the two G26 mags and the G18 mag.

Warp
03-16-2012, 16:31
How do you carry a 33 round magazine such that it is not less comfortable than a 10 round G26 mag?

Jason D
03-16-2012, 16:55
I got a bunch of those.
I never carry them, but mostly own them because it pisses the anits off.

Gallium
03-16-2012, 17:26
... The one particular scenario I mean is if, for example, the gunfight goes on long enough that I empty my initial 13 rounds, and so I lock in the 33rder. At some point before I empty the mag, the enemy is subdued to the point where all I have to do is hold them at gunpoint until the police arrive...

Having the freedom and ability to choose is great. Time, finance and the ability to schlep equipment is always finite, which tends to reduce our gear to a finite set, or combinations of sets.

I fear your choices on weaponry and reloading/etc are being driven by scenarios which are statistically remote and improbable.

Have you considered that in a gunfight where you needed to reload and shoot again, that someone else is most likely shooting back at you, and that you, or someone in your immediate circle might get hit? Have you made any provision (training, gear, mindset) for this actual more probable possibility?

All the bullets in the Kingdom can't save you if one went thru your chest, and you don't know how to deal with that.

My thought process is, if I needed a 33 round mag outside of my house, chances are, I blew the "situational awareness/avenues of avoidance/retreat" big time, and I'd be longing for something with

9.5" + barrel
muzzle velocity >>2400fps
shoulder stock
a sling

and a whole lotta luck.

-G

Glockrunner
03-16-2012, 18:06
Oh, I thought you guys meant the political climate. No, this area is quite safe, but statistics don't mean jack to the person getting stabbed.

Again, there isn't a perceived need for the mag. It is just that, since it doesn't bother me any more than carrying the much smaller mags, why not**?

**This is the question I was trying to answer :) . Whether or not there was a drawback to carrying the larger mag as a spare. Again, comfort and concealment are not problems. I am wearing it under a t-shirt right now, actually, and it is not printing, or causing any more discomfort than anything else I carry. The only thing I was worried about was whether or not it could become a legitimate issue in court.

I don't have any other mags except the two G26 mags and the G18 mag.

:faint:I don't think you read my reply. Or you didn't comprehend what I was telling you.
But I am begining to think this has more to do with male size envy than a spare magazine.:rofl:

If you ever have to reach in and grab that "big boy" I hope it all works out for you.:shocked:

Lindenwood
03-16-2012, 18:16
H
I fear your choices on weaponry and reloading/etc are being driven by scenarios which are statistically remote and improbable.
In a nutshell, I live by the odds, not by the stakes. Like I've said, odds are against any of us needing a weapon for SD at all, but we keep them around anyways. Why? Because of the stakes. If I choose to carry and never need it, then the wost thing that happens is I have a little more trouble picking out outfits, or face the expense of holsters. However, the worst thing that happens if choose not to carry but do end up needing my firearm and said firearm could have made the difference, is I get killed / maimed, or a loved one gets killed / maimed / tortured / raped / etc.

So again, none of this has anything to do with statistical likelihoods. Rather, they have to do with me acknowledging that the stakes are far worse for not taking whatever precautions I choose, than if I do.

Have you considered..
I have. I am not asking if I am likely to use it, or if I am likely to survive a gunfight in which it might come into play, because I'd never pretend I was. However, it is also easy to imagine scenarios in which having "too much" ammo could mean you get to go home that night, whereas having "not enough" means you don't.

My thought process is, if I needed a 33 round mag outside of my house, chances are, I blew the "situational awareness/avenues of avoidance/retreat" big time, and I'd be longing for something with

9.5" + barrel
muzzle velocity >>2400fps
shoulder stock
a sling

and a whole lotta luck.
If I don't have an AR slung over my back, but I do have a 33rd mag in my belt, should I still just lay down and give up? I'd imagine most of us would fight with whatever we had, if it came down to it. Having those extra 21 rounds (over my 12rd G26 mag) just gives me one more card to play if I ever needed it.

Warp:
I carry it IWB up front. I appendix carry the G26 just to the right of my belt buckle, and the mag pouch sits just behind the buckle. The 33rd mag comes up about 5" above my waistline. I might have exaggerated that the level of comfort is equivalent to the short mag, but it is definitely not uncomfortable. It is more comfortable than the assortment of full-sized guns I've carried in this position. In any case, none of my EDC items are there because they are comfortable. They are there because they are comforting ;) .

Lindenwood
03-16-2012, 18:19
:faint:I don't think you read my reply. Or you didn't comprehend what I was telling you.
But I am begining to think this has more to do with male size envy than a spare magazine.:rofl:

If you ever have to reach in and grab that "big boy" I hope it all works out for you.:shocked:

1) I did both read and comprehend your post. However, I don't have any G17 mags and don't have any desire to get them.

2) Size insults over the internet... really?

3) And yes, I do hope it works out for me :) .

HKLovingIT
03-16-2012, 19:20
I live in Oklahoma, and have had nothing but positive responses to my CCW and NRA stickers in regards to interactions with LEOs. I am really only worried about the judge or jury in a civil court being swayed by the emotional appeals of some misinformed prosecutor.

That's always going to be a factor so I would just personally stick with whatever is within the "norm" for what law enforcement might have on them in your community. So if the standard police officer carry in your town has a Glock and 2 spares with gold dots, you carrying the same doesn't put you "out there" as much as a 33 rounder.

Let me put it another way, you're on Glock Talk talking to other "gun people" and I would hazard to guess that many on here would think that CCW of a 33 round mag as a spare for a G26 is a bit "out there" so you can imagine what a jury of soccer moms is going to think if you should ever be in that situation.

Glockrunner
03-16-2012, 19:39
Warp:
I carry it IWB up front. I appendix carry the G26 just to the right of my belt buckle, and the mag pouch sits just behind the buckle. The 33rd mag comes up about 5" above my waistline. I might have exaggerated that the level of comfort is equivalent to the short mag, but it is definitely not uncomfortable. It is more comfortable than the assortment of full-sized guns I've carried in this position. In any case, none of my EDC items are there because they are comfortable. They are there because they are comforting ;) .

2) Size insults over the internet... really?

Why, you have left yourself open here. I'm just saying what most are probably thinking...

I can see it now, you hug the wifey and she says "Is that a G18 mag in your pants or, are you just happy to see me?"

I can't help it. It is just my nature to bring out what I see, as facts.

Carrying a gun and a G18 mag above the family jewels just seems, well, painful in my book. I carry concealled every day, all day long, and I enjoy the comfort of a plastic/keydex holster by Sidearmor. The weight is evenly distributed over different parts of the hips.

You would have to stand all day in my opinion, to be comfortable with that hogleg jammed in your pants, in the front no less. That makes for problems too during a potty break.

Now, let's look at the action of your belt and gun. You think that it isn't going to bend the mag over time? If you pull your belt tight enough to hold your pants up with the weight of those bullets and the gun, it has to be fairly snug. I'd give that mag two years of daily carry before it starts to act up and stop reliably feeding rounds under the load you plan to place on it. I doubt that you'll be able to carry that for two years in the manner you discussed anyway.

I have been carrying for many years. There are hundreds of thousands of people like me too that have learned the proper way to carry a firearm and extra mags comfortably. We all seem to pretty much do it the same. I guess it is because it works for the shape of our bodies.

:supergrin:

Gallium
03-16-2012, 20:05
In a nutshell, I live by the odds, not by the stakes... .

Thank you for reminding me of how diverse a place Carry Issues can be. :wavey:

Lindenwood
03-16-2012, 20:36
Thank you for reminding me of how diverse a place Carry Issues can be. :wavey:

Btw, that was a typo. I live by the stakes, not the odds. The context of my post goes with that, but in case it was missed.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

G26AZ
03-16-2012, 21:47
Before that whack-job used a 33 rd magazine in the Tucson shooting last year, it might not have been that big of an issue. Now, however, it's not hard to imagine some bottom feeder lawyer comparing you to Jared whatshisname because you both used the same magazine.
If I felt the need for that much ammo, I would also carry two G17 magazines because it gives you an extra round or two, and an extra mag in case one of them craps out on you. Also, even though I own some of the 33 rd mags, I would not carry them for CCW for the reason that I don't like the balance of the gun with them inserted - way too butt heavy for my tastes.

huggytree
03-17-2012, 10:17
33 rounds is veeeeery excessive.....an extra mag is excessive in my opinion

and if it goes to trial i DO think the jury would consider your mental state by carrying an extra 33 rounds

unless your planning on killing 40 people who are attacking you i dont see the need...ever....

if you live in Iraq then yea....but you dont

if you feel the need to carry 33 extra rounds you may as well just keep a 120 round drum and your AR in your trunk instead....if you get into a situation where you need to kill 40 people your AR is better suited for a war situation

if you need to kill 40 people why do you think you will even survive???? odds are you will be dead long before you can take out the 33 rounder

or does it take 40 rounds to shoot 1 person? are you that bad of a shot???

3 shots is all anyone should need....glock gives you atleast 9 depending on which glock you are carrying..9 is enough for any CCW situation

if im working in the Core of Milwaukee i do sometimes carry an extra G27 mag....and i feel its excessive....id feel psycho if i carried 33 extra rounds....33 rounder is for War, not self defense

Lindenwood
03-17-2012, 10:32
What makes you think a 33rd mag is only good for killing 40 people? I was thinking more like if I end up facing 4 guys and am in a relatively defensible position, that it would still take more than a few rounds to incapacitate them. Less than 1 in 5 shots connect in your average police encounter. I am a much better shot than your average LEO (nothing against them, I just practice a lot because I enjoy it), but still when everyone is moving and adrenaline is pumping, I won't pretend to be James Bond. Plus any combat-experienced soldier will tell you that no shot which kept you from getting killed was wasted--that is, if my only shot is through the car door they are using for cover, even if they miss or dont hit vital spots, they still kept him from shooting back, or even allowed me to move to a better position.

I won't be carrying it for the same legal concerns I had to start with, so thanks to those of you who reinforced them with relevant replies. I will say I am a little disappointed in some of the replies that, instead of answering my question, moved straight to irrelevant and invalid assumptions, and even personal attacks about my judgement, morals, and even manhood (again, really?). Your attitudes sound EXACTLY like those of the people who think we are all crazy for carrying firearms in the first place. Sadly hypocritical.

Finally, for my available space, concealing two 17rd mags would be more difficult than the single 33.

Bill Lumberg
03-17-2012, 10:40
If you're looking for something you might actually need or use, make sure your cellphone is charged. And it's awesome that your firearms skills are way better than the average LEO. Since you couldn't be making that up from thin air, I'll be forced to assume we somehow missed you on your nationwide "measuring your skills against cops" range tour. Good luck whatever you carry.

Warp
03-17-2012, 11:20

and if it goes to trial i DO think the jury would consider your mental state by carrying an extra 33 rounds

unless your planning on killing 40 people who are attacking you i dont see the need...ever....

if you feel the need to carry 33 extra rounds you may as well just keep a 120 round drum and your AR in your trunk instead....if you get into a situation where you need to kill 40 people your AR is better suited for a war situation

if you need to kill 40 people why do you think you will even survive???? odds are you will be dead long before you can take out the 33 rounder

3 shots is all anyone should need....glock gives you atleast 9 depending on which glock you are carrying..9 is enough for any CCW situation

if im working in the Core of Milwaukee i do sometimes carry an extra G27 mag....and i feel its excessive....id feel psycho if i carried 33 extra rounds....33 rounder is for War, not self defense

It isn't like the movies. You don't just point a pistol in the general direction of a person, pull the trigger, and have them drop dead on the spot.

There are a great many things wrong within your post.

Lindenwood
03-17-2012, 11:32
If you're looking for something you might actually need or use, make sure your cellphone is charged. And it's awesome that your firearms skills are way better than the average LEO. Since you couldn't be making that up from thin air, I'll be forced to assume we somehow missed you on your nationwide "measuring your skills against cops" range tour. Good luck whatever you carry.

In my last IPSC competition, the first time out with my G26, I beat all the LEs I talked to. I am not at all saying I am great, or that officers are poor shots. I am going by what many other officers have told me--most LEOs practice only a handful of times per year for qualification. I put more trigger time in per year than your average officer puts in a career, I'd bet. Again, this is not at all a knock on LE--I have the utmost respect for them and salute them when I see them on the road. I was actually just making a quick reference to say I am not anywhere near "unskilled" as many would like to presume.

And on the note of not believing me, that is why I didn't bother responding to the manhood comments. Nothing to do but roll my eyes, but this IS just the internet, afterall :) .

Warp
03-17-2012, 11:38

To be fair my experience says that being a better shot than the average LEO isn't too terribly difficult.

This is no surprise. The average LEO doesn't seem to be a gun nut/hobbyist/regular shooter.

Though I will note that it is possible for things to shift when the range is working in both directions.

Ryobi
03-17-2012, 11:48
This. The average permitee isn't even close to the firearm proficiency level of the average cop. But the average glocktalk poster is hardly indicative of the average permit holder. If you're looking for something you might actually need or use, make sure your cellphone is charged. And it's awesome that your firearms skills are way better than the average LEO. Since you couldn't be making that up from thin air, I'll be forced to assume we somehow missed you on your nationwide "measuring your skills against cops" range tour. Good luck whatever you carry.

Mr. Blandings
03-18-2012, 22:17
Check your applicable laws. In Florida, firearm related offenses are aggravated when the violator is in possession of a magazine that holds more than 20 rounds.

We all want to we will never be charged for any reason, but sometimes such is not the case.

fuzzy03cls
03-19-2012, 08:08
I am honestly thinking that it shouldnt be much different than carrying a couple 17rd mags
You say you live buy the odds? Well the odds are far greater your 1 33rd mag will have a failure. A failure at round 2 makes it useless. Carrying multiple mags increases your chances of backup in case a mag fails on you.
Check your applicable laws. In Florida, firearm related offenses are aggravated when the violator is in possession of a magazine that holds more than 20 rounds.
What statue is that? Is that committing a crime or just a normal concealed carrier? I never heard of that before.

Warp
03-19-2012, 08:14
You say you live buy the odds? Well the odds are far greater your 1 33rd mag will have a failure. A failure at round 2 makes it useless. Carrying multiple mags increases your chances of backup in case a mag fails on you.

As discussed above he mis-typed that word. He lives by the stakes. ;)

Jason D
03-19-2012, 16:47

This seems like mostly anti speak.

I personally don't plan on killing anyone.
I have never in my life needed to put a person down. I truly hope I never have to.

That said. A reload of any amount of ammo is just plain smart.
People are generally lazy. Some will just wipe a gun down and call it good. Yet a carry gun can fill with all sorts of gook from carrying it. Ammo could be bad. Rounds could fail to go off, magazines fail to work.

Having a spare is very smart. Whether is be a speed loader, or extra magazine or two.

My standard carry gun holds 15 rounds. I carry always an extra magazine with ball ammo. When I travel I always up the amount of ammo carried. If only because there is a finite amount of ammo and I am far from home.

Last year I loaded my travel gun with 17 rounds of 9mm ammo, with two 33 round magazines carried in the case.

If there were ever a scenario I found myself in where I had to engage more than one target. I would be happy and congratulate myself for my forward thinking.

To think otherwise is lunacy.

bfsmith7
03-20-2012, 10:24
It seems to me that rather than providing any actual evidence as to whether or not this would create legal troubles for the OP, most of you resorted straight to overly judgmental criticisms.

(Lindenwood, this in and of itself may actually provide some evidence on the matter. If glocktalk posters are so quick to judge, it is likely that a jury would be even harsher.)

I would suggest taking your question to the "GATE: Self Defense" section of this site and posing your question to Mas Ayoob. He is very well versed in these matters and I'm sure he will provide you the answer you need without all of the judgmental criticism.

Jason D
03-20-2012, 16:52
As long as the magazine were legal to own.
There should be no liability to actually using it.

I'm sure however there could be some crusader nutbag that would argue against it.

Warp
03-20-2012, 20:15
As long as the magazine were legal to own.
There should be no liability to actually using it.

A perfect world, this is not.

Z28ricer
03-20-2012, 20:26
Carry a 33 as a spare ? really now ?

As already illustrated, two 15 or 17's makes more sense, even though they dont well double as a baton like the 33...

huggytree
03-20-2012, 20:32
if it takes you 33 rounds to kill 4 people you will most likely be killed already by your attackers (if they also have guns)

there is no way it can take 33 rounds and remember thats your spare...you already have 9+ in the gun(depending on Glock model #)...so thats 42 rounds to kill 4 people

its all silly

if i were on a jury and the guy had a 33 round clip i would assume he was the type looking for trouble....there's no normal self defense reason to carry an extra 33 round clip....war yes, self defense in the USA nope....Self defense in Iraq yes....

its a free country, carry whatever you wish. its legal and i want no limits to magazine size(i own a 33 rounder), but people will judge you for it(realize it).....im just giving my opinion.....i never leave the house w/o a gun, but 9 rounds are enough for me

i also own a 75 for my AK and a 120 for my AR

Warp
03-20-2012, 20:36
if it takes you 33 rounds to kill 4 people you will most likely be killed already by your attackers (if they also have guns)

there is no way it can take 33 rounds and remember thats your spare...you already have 9+ in the gun(depending on Glock model #)...so thats 42 rounds to kill 4 people

its all silly

if i were on a jury and the guy had a 33 round clip i would assume he was the type looking for trouble....there's no normal self defense reason to carry an extra 33 round clip....war yes, self defense in the USA nope....Self defense in Iraq yes....

its a free country, carry whatever you wish......im just giving my opinion.....i never leave the house w/o a gun, but 9 rounds are enough for me

1. It isn't about killing.

2. Could be mroe than 4. Unlikely, but could be.

3. Rounds seem to go FAST at a time like that. Emptying 18 or so from a pistol in a matter of seconds, at one target, is not uncommon.

Unlikely to need them? You bet! "no way", as you say...not quite.

Z28ricer
03-20-2012, 20:37
Still sounds like another one of those situations best described as "just because you CAN, doesnt mean you SHOULD"

Mr. Blandings
03-20-2012, 22:38
What statue is that? Is that committing a crime or just a normal concealed carrier? I never heard of that before.FSS 775.087 (3) (a)- (e) (http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0700-0799/0775/Sections/0775.087.html) is a sentencing enhancement statute that requires sentencing for certain enumerated felony offenses be enhanced to a greater level to be served consecutively with any other sentence.

It should only kick in upon conviction for one of the enumerated felony offenses, but juries have been known to convict a defendant on enhancement statutes while finding him/her not guilty of the predicate offense.

Lindenwood
03-21-2012, 00:09
That actually makes a lot of sense! First person to mention that, too.

It seems to me that rather than providing any actual evidence as to whether or not this would create legal troubles for the OP, most of you resorted straight to overly judgmental criticisms.

(Lindenwood, this in and of itself may actually provide some evidence on the matter. If glocktalk posters are so quick to judge, it is likely that a jury would be even harsher.)
That's where I landed on the issue. Figured the odds of me needing it are lower than the odds of me getting in trouble for it in one way or another, and the stakes are high either way.

As already illustrated, two 15 or 17's makes more sense,
The width of two separate magazines makes it harder for me to conceal, and especially less comfortable to carry, than the height of a single long one.

In any case, again, I have no intention of buying more magazines. I experimentally slipped my 33rd mag in place of where I normally carry the spare 12rder, and discovered it is actually not difficult to conceal or uncomfortable to carry. Thus, I began to wonder "why not." As I mentioned in the OP, I had my reservations about the subjective image I could acquire for using one in HD. As we've discovered and deduced, the shallow and judgmental responses from "Pro 2A" gun-owners is probably only a small sample of the flak I could receive from everyday jurors. Thus, no 33rder for a carry spare.

If anyone is still paying attention, what about the 33 for HD? I suppose the risk of getting it grabbed, as well as the potential for malfunctions (I haven't tested it much, but in general I only hear good things about the G18 mags), still exist. However, if I have to investigate a Bump In The Night, I will probably be naked or in my underwear and thus lacking in the Spare Mag department. Thus, was thinking "might as well carry it all in the gun," eh?

Jason D
03-21-2012, 16:27
If anyone is still paying attention, what about the 33 for HD? I suppose the risk of getting it grabbed, as well as the potential for malfunctions (I haven't tested it much, but in general I only hear good things about the G18 mags), still exist. However, if I have to investigate a Bump In The Night, I will probably be naked or in my underwear and thus lacking in the Spare Mag department. Thus, was thinking "might as well carry it all in the gun," eh?

That should not at all pose a problem.
There are many of us who maintain other weapons other than handguns for home defense.

I can lay hands on an AR pretty quickly with a couple loaded 30 rounders.

pirateguy191
03-21-2012, 16:35
I'd rather have 2 17 rounders than 1 33 rounder. For one thing it's one more round (and apparently round count is important to you). For another it provides extra redundancy. For another the "weirdo" factor goes away.

Out of curiosity, what ammo do you carry?

Here in Ohio the mag itself is legal but if you were to load 31 rounds in it you would be committing a crime. No way I would even open myself up to such an allegation.

Yea for some reason here in Ohio, a 33 rd. mag inserted into a 9mm Glock all of a sudden makes it an automatic weapon.