Remington 870, Mossberg 500, Mossberg 590 A1 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Remington 870, Mossberg 500, Mossberg 590 A1

3000fps
03-15-2012, 13:43
Which of these would you GT'ers recommend for home defense? I don't have a shotgun currently and would like to add one to my collection.

battlin bulldog
03-15-2012, 13:47
honestly you really cant go wrong. the 590A1 is gonna be longer and heavier than the 500. the 870 is probably the easiest to mod out to your hearts content. I own all 3 and all are great.

D3S3RT_P3NGU1N
03-15-2012, 13:54
You really can't go wrong with any of them. Go to the store, handle them all and pick the one that you like best

TN.Frank
03-15-2012, 14:05
Had all three and the 590a1 was the best of em' for HD. However if you want a multi purpose shotgun that you can use for HD and hunting look no further then the Remington 870, with a quick barrel change it can go from HD duty to dove hunting.

OctoberRust
03-15-2012, 14:29
Which of these would you GT'ers recommend for home defense? I don't have a shotgun currently and would like to add one to my collection.

I love the 6 shot 18.5 inch mossberg 500.

For a little more length and weight you can get an 9 shot mossberg 590.

The only real operating difference I've heard in the 500 vs 870 is the 500 has dual extractor claws, where as the 870 has one.

I'm sure the 870 is a fine shotgun, you'd be served well with either one IMO.

OctoberRust
03-15-2012, 14:30
Had all three and the 590a1 was the best of em' for HD. However if you want a multi purpose shotgun that you can use for HD and hunting look no further then the Remington 870, with a quick barrel change it can go from HD duty to dove hunting.

Mossberg 500 can do the same as you mentioned too. I have an 18.5 inch barrel for SD and a 28 inch barrel for hunting.

Boats
03-15-2012, 15:05
The Mossbergs are fighting shotguns that can be modified for hunting.

The 870 is a bird gun that can be modified to fight with.

I think the Mossbergs use a better control layout. The safety is better located and more easily manipulated. The action release is in a better location. The shell lifter gets the hell out of your way for rapid reloads.

Glock40man
03-15-2012, 15:23
I've never had a problem with any of them as far a function goes. However, I did encounter a finish issue with my newest 870. But, Remington took care of it. I still prefer a 870 over a 500 or a 590. It's just personal preference. You really can't go wrong with any of them IMO.

John Biltz
03-15-2012, 15:23
Personal preference is really what it comes down to. I like Mossberg 500s because I grew up with a double barrel and I like the safety up top where my thumb sits. It just seems right to me.

Nestor
03-15-2012, 15:33
You don't want to miss Winchester SXP Defender and Ithaca M37 Defender here. Out of the three mentioned I prefer 870. Most popular shotgun with the police departments across the continent and for a good reason.

Jason D
03-15-2012, 17:16
Never in my life would I buy a Mossberg of any kind.
I've seen a couple that was used for a couple seasons of trap shooting.
Loose as a goose is one term that comes to mind.

I would pick the 870 hands down.
In fact I have.

Boats
03-15-2012, 17:29
Never in my life would I buy a Mossberg of any kind.
I've seen a couple that was used for a couple seasons of trap shooting.
Loose as a goose is one term that comes to mind.

I would pick the 870 hands down.
In fact I have.

Well, you went and got yourself a bird gun after all, but this is a thread on defense shotguns. Remington gets by on inertia and ever cheapening the 870 rather than building actual fighting shotguns.

The Remington's shell lifter/loading barrier is a self defense disaster waiting to happen.

Boats
03-15-2012, 17:31
[The 870 is the]Most popular shotgun with the police departments across the continent and for a good reason.

Tell me, do you also drive an old Caprice or Crown Vic too?

Luvdux
03-15-2012, 17:38
The Remington 870 is the best pump ever made... There I said it. There are some old winchesters out there that are better but not still in production.

My buddy had an old Remington that was so full of salt and sand from duck hunting that he had to hit the butt on the ground when he pumped. He killed many a duck with it the last week of that season. End of the season he broke it down did a few nights work on it re blued it and traded it and 150 on a moss berg auto loader, dicked around with that hunk of junk for a few years, finally gave up, sold it for 400, and bought a new 870 for 300. Wish he kept the mossberg, more ducks made it to my side of the blind. I'm a beretta benelli guy but still take out the 870 sometimes to remind myself what a real American shot gun is. Every child should have 870 20 gauge growing up and get a 12 gauge for thir 15th birthday.

Jason D
03-15-2012, 17:44
Well, you went and got yourself a bird gun after all, but this is a thread on defense shotguns. Remington gets by on inertia and ever cheapening the 870 rather than building actual fighting shotguns.

The Remington's shell lifter/loading barrier is a self defense disaster waiting to happen.

I do agree that the Express models leave much to be desired.
My thinking though was picking a gun that I could shoot a lot and not have it shoot itself loose.

I would hope the Mossberg 590A1 that advertised itself as being a gun picked for military service is better quality wise to the older 500's. To be fair to Mossberg. Having their shotguns used as trap guns can take a hell of a beating in just a season. I just can't imagine investing in a gun that would be work out in 5 thousand rounds or so.

AK74play
03-15-2012, 19:23
I prefer the 870 because of it's more precision build, BUT that precision will stop it in it's tracks under adverse condition when the Mossberg will still be running BECAUSE of it's looser tolerances. For hunting both will result in the same outcome. I have several Mossberg 500's around here that have been purchased for as little as 25 bucks with cracked wood and cosmetically really trashed. Slapped on some artificial furnature and in a couple cases, Hogue pistol grips and forends and they still run absolutely 100% no matter how bad you treat them. For Home defense they will all serve you nicely, but if you add neglect and abuse the Mossy wins hands down. Price is the icing on the cake.

faawrenchbndr
03-15-2012, 19:29
I've owned both, gave theMossberg to my Son-in-Law

Recently replaced the 500 with a mint '69 Wingmaster! :supergrin:
Added a mag extension & a 18.5" barrel.

3000fps
03-15-2012, 21:50
Hmm I should have added a poll. It's about 50/50 LOL

terdog
03-15-2012, 22:42
Isnt the BENELLI AUTO the new military choice? :poke:

III_M1KE_III
03-16-2012, 00:35
My recommendation....Remington 870.

The 870 reciever is machined out of barstock steel, while the Mossbergs are built out of aluminium. I prefer to have the explosion that is occuring inches in front of my face to be enclosed in steel. My personal preference.

The safety of the 870 is in the trigger-guard which allows you to upgrade to a pistol-grip stock and still be able to reach the safety while keeping your strong hand on the grip. The mossberg has a safety on the top of the reciever which can be difficult to access should you ever change the stock.

Also, the Remingotn 870 trap door stays in the downward positon at all times minimizing foriegn objects from lodging into your magazine tube. The Mossbergs trap stays upward which allows for easier reloading....but is prone to objects getting into the magazine/reciever. I prefer reliability over convenience.

Both are fine weapons, however, I'm partial to the 870 which I also happen to own.

Sniperfox
03-16-2012, 01:17
For HD, all three are more than up to the task. The 870 and 590 are a little more durable if you plan to shoot alot but cost more.

Nestor
03-16-2012, 04:42
Tell me, do you also drive an old Caprice or Crown Vic too?

Well...I actually drive 2006 Crown Victoria and don't understand this juvenile scrawl of yours.
From Clint Smith with love :wavey:

Remington's Masterpiece 870 Shotgun - YouTube

TN.Frank
03-16-2012, 06:21
Mossberg 500 can do the same as you mentioned too. I have an 18.5 inch barrel for SD and a 28 inch barrel for hunting.

Never said it couldn't, I just don't like the plastic parts on the 500, the 590a1 is all steel.
One of the sweetest little dove guns I ever owned was a Mossberg 500, 20ga with a 26" VR barrel. Still, for HD use I'd go with the 590a1 over the 500 any day of the week. Second is the Remington 870.

byf43
03-16-2012, 07:14
Remington 870, Mossberg 500, Mossberg 590 A1

Strawberry, Vanilla, or Chocolate????

For me. . . Remington 870. Period.

I've written this so many times, I'm sure people are sick of reading it.
I used to own a Mossberg 500.
I liked it, but, I started having problems with the 'disconnect'.
I sent it back to Mossberg, and they 'repaired' it.
I started having the same problems, with less than 2 boxes of (factory!) ammo.

Sent it back. Mossberg 'fixed' it.

Same crap started less than a box through it.

The disconnect was getting a 'burr' on it. A better term would be it was getting 'bashed'.
The shotgun would not stay locked in battery.

I replaced the disconnect one-last-time.
Same stuff, less than a box later.

I sold this Mossberg to a co-worker, that was FULLY aware of the problems. He didn't care.

I've owned two Mossbergs, since. (I won both.)
One 12 ga. One .410.
Neither has been taken out of their box.
I recently sold the 12 ga. and I'd like to sell the .410.

On the other hand. . . I've NEVER had a problem with any of my Remington 870(s). If memory serves me, there are 6 or 7 of them in the safe.
Wingmaster. Express. I even had a "pre-Express", called the "870 Sportsman" (that a friend just had-to-have). He's still got it.

Ultimate bottom line. . . . hold each one. Shoot each one (if you can) and see which one fits YOU.
Then, buy accordingly.

OctoberRust
03-16-2012, 08:32
Never said it couldn't, I just don't like the plastic parts on the 500, the 590a1 is all steel.
One of the sweetest little dove guns I ever owned was a Mossberg 500, 20ga with a 26" VR barrel. Still, for HD use I'd go with the 590a1 over the 500 any day of the week. Second is the Remington 870.

So you must not like glocks then, right?...

powder86
03-16-2012, 09:54
i think your price point matters too. if you're going cheapo... then the best cheap shotgun you can get would be the 870, IMHO. i'd take a cheap 870 over a cheap mossberg. but if you can spend more cash, i may go with the m590 a1.
but then again, if you can spend more cash, you'll get better stuff across the board.

but yea, cheaper stuff? i'd go for an 870 over a mossberg.

AK74play
03-16-2012, 19:32
My recommendation....Remington 870.

The 870 reciever is machined out of barstock steel, while the Mossbergs are built out of aluminium. I prefer to have the explosion that is occuring inches in front of my face to be enclosed in steel. My personal preference.

The safety of the 870 is in the trigger-guard which allows you to upgrade to a pistol-grip stock and still be able to reach the safety while keeping your strong hand on the grip. The mossberg has a safety on the top of the reciever which can be difficult to access should you ever change the stock.

Also, the Remingotn 870 trap door stays in the downward positon at all times minimizing foriegn objects from lodging into your magazine tube. The Mossbergs trap stays upward which allows for easier reloading....but is prone to objects getting into the magazine/reciever. I prefer reliability over convenience.

Both are fine weapons, however, I'm partial to the 870 which I also happen to own.

The explosion takes place in the chamber, NOT the receiver. In all 3 cases the barrels are steel so this shouldn't be an issue to even consider as they are all the same. Also the Mossberg does not have a trap as you call it. It have only a lift gate which stays up after lifting the shell. The very first shotgun I ever shot when I was 10 was a Mossberg 500 and own several still today and I have NEVER seen anything go up inside the gun and block the magazine tube or anything else for that matter. I personally prefer the 870 for general use because it is a more precision gun but I would NEVER sell a Mossberg short when it comes to performance. I have never in 53 years been able to make one stop running. I have had more than one 870 snap the ejector off the receiver. Yep it's an easy fix, especially after you have done it as many times as I have, but I still prefer it for general field use. I will never tuck another one away for just in case, because the one time I did, after pulling it out a month later just to check on it, the receiver was a rust bucket. That dont happen with machined aluminium..:dunno:

ranger88
03-17-2012, 02:54
Mossberg 590 (not the 590A1) for me. Ghost ring sights, speed-feed stock. 9 shells of 2 3/4 buckshot loaded with 4 slugs in the speed-feed stock. I got the 590 in a trade deal, but would've opted for the 590A1 if I knew what I know now. Nothing wrong with a good Remington 870. I would buy either with confidence.

hogship
03-17-2012, 03:22
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL431/781008/1401653/393625686.jpg

I've had Winchester, Mossberg, and Remington pump shotguns for HD. All are good. All have features that some will argue are better than the others.....but, none of them actually are better, just different. Learn to use what you have, and there will be no problems, if and when you need it.

I currently have the Remington 870 Police Magnum, and this is my last shotgun. This one, as all those that preceded it, has been modified to my personal taste. I don't consider it to be any better than the Winchester Defender, or 590 Mossberg I had.......but, it's what I have, and I'm comfortable with it. All of them are dependable, and work as they were designed. All are mechanical devices, and any of them can be subject to a mechanical failure......

ooc

Bob Hafler
03-17-2012, 05:40
This is one of those less filling taste great, Ford vs Chevy posts. There all good pick one that you like and go with it. I like where mossberg puts there safety. Right on top, but that's just to my liking. The MB 500 I have I've had for 16 years it's never had the slightest problem with anything. It requires very little maintenance and is always ready to go 24/7. Just what you want from a HD shotgun.

There are more then a few people using Mavericks and other cheaper brands for HD and truck shotguns and are quite happy with them from what there reporting.
So I really don't see a problem with the 870,500,or the m590a1. There all proven designs that work quite well.

WiskyT
03-17-2012, 05:55
If you're buying and used one, it doesn't make much difference. I prefer the 500 but was issued the 870 and had no problem with them. I like a light handy SG and the 500 is the handiest. The 590 and all the extended mag tricked out guns are too clumsy IMO.

If I was getting a new one, I wouldn't touch a Remington. The Tactical SG section of this board is filled with recent 870 problems.

Aceman
03-17-2012, 11:31
They are all completely effective guns for your task. The 590 is more expensive and ridiculously overengineered for around the home.

I'd get whatever is cheapest, or if money is no object, whichever you think is coolest.

Ammo and a light and practice are more important than the brand / model with that batch.

TN.Frank
03-17-2012, 12:32
So you must not like glocks then, right?...

Well, lets see, I've owned 5 of em' and I currently have ZERO so nope, don't really care for Glocks either.:tongueout:

cowboy1964
03-17-2012, 14:39
Glocks are "loose" too. One reason for their reliability, supposedly.

And pistol grips on a shotgun are DUMB.

Wrench78
03-17-2012, 21:00
Well, lets see, I've owned 5 of em' and I currently have ZERO so nope, don't really care for Glocks either.:tongueout:
Then why are you on a Glock forum? :dunno:

Nestor
03-17-2012, 21:02

Really? :rofl:

GoBigOrange
03-17-2012, 21:03

Frank, you also start a new thread every other day where you talk about trading your current gun for a new one. You're worse than a woman.

Wrench78
03-17-2012, 21:08
Frank, you also start a new thread every other day where you talk about trading your current gun for a new one. You're worse than a woman.
To funny. :rofl:

hogship
03-17-2012, 21:18
Half the threads TNFrank starts, turn out to be lively and interesting.......looked at from that perspective, he's an asset to the forum. He's eccentric, for sure.......but, that's exactly what makes him fun........:supergrin:

There are a few others on this forum that are like that, too.......it really doesn't matter that sometimes you don't agree with everything they say, but that just adds the "fire" to the input........and interest to the conversation........

ooc

TN.Frank
03-17-2012, 21:21

If you noticed I don't post in any of the Glock related forums, General, 1911a1, Reloading, Survival and Prepping mostly.:tongueout:
Besides all my friends are here.LOL

Not true, I've not done that since January when I traded the PX4 for the 642 that I STILL currently own, thank you very much and I've also picked up another handgun without having to trade one off to get it.

Half the threads TNFrank starts, turn out to be lively and interesting.......looked at from that perspective, he's an asset to the forum. He's eccentric, for sure.......but, that's exactly what makes him fun........:supergrin:

Long as you keep the "et" in asset I guess I'm ok with that statement.:supergrin:

Wrench78
03-17-2012, 21:24
If you noticed I don't post in any of the Glock related forums, General, 1911a1, Reloading, Survival and Prepping mostly.:tongueout:
Besides all my friends are here.LOL

Not true, I've not done that since January when I traded the PX4 for the 642 that I STILL currently own, thank you very much and I've also picked up another handgun without having to trade one off to get it.
Gotch ya :wavey:

glock2740
03-17-2012, 21:38
I like the Mossy's, but I have a 870 18.5" for my HD shotgun.

GoBigOrange
03-17-2012, 21:43
I have a Remington 870 and a Winchester Defender 1300. I really like both guns but I would pick the Winchester every day of the week over the 870.

I had a Mossberg 500 and didn't care for it at all.

glock2740
03-17-2012, 22:01
It took owning 5 of them before you realized that you didn't like them? :dunno:

TN.Frank
03-17-2012, 22:10

Hey, what can I say, I was a sucker for all their marketing. LOL.
They are actually good guns, it's just I have this OCD thing about needing to see a hammer on my semi-autos and the Poly Rifling isn't the best for home cast lead bullets.LOL.
Other then that they were great.
Oh, and to answer the question, get the Remington 870 and be done with it.LOL. :supergrin:

GoBigOrange
03-17-2012, 22:11

See my previous post. He changes guns more than underwear.:upeyes:

TN.Frank
03-17-2012, 22:15
I had the 5 of em' over a 20+ year span, not like I had em' all within the last month.:rofl:
And I change my undies once a week weather they need it or not, I normally keep a gun for at least a month before I sell it.:tongueout:

glock2740
03-17-2012, 22:17
Hey, what can I say, I was a sucker for all their marketing. LOL.
They are actually good guns, it's just I have this OCD...
Oh, and to answer the question, get the Remington 870 and be done with it.LOL. :supergrin: I didn't ask any questions about the shotty's. I own several 870's. :cool:

TN.Frank
03-18-2012, 13:26
I know but the OP did , figured I'd answer his question. Also, April issue of Gun World has a good read about HD shotguns. Remington is making a pretty cool "Tactical" 870 that has a street price of around $400(MSRP $505) , looks like a pretty good deal.

hogship
03-18-2012, 14:16
I know but the OP did , figured I'd answer his question. Also, April issue of Gun World has a good read about HD shotguns. Remington is making a pretty cool "Tactical" 870 that has a street price of around $400(MSRP $505) , looks like a pretty good deal.

Is this what you're talking about, TNF?

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/278191000/278191051/pix040983309.jpg

I was curious, so looked it up on GB. You might be happy to know that the one I saw had a buy-it-now price of $325.....that's a decent price on a good shotgun, and it looks like everything you need and nothing you don't need kind of model.

ooc

link to auction:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=278191051

I'm with Clint Smith.....keep it simple:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdW2TAfN3mQ&feature=player_embedded#!

TN.Frank
03-18-2012, 14:27
That looks a lot like it plus it had a funny looking compensator choke installed in it and a rail with sights front and rear and a 2 shot extension but yep, that's close enough. Looks like it'd be a good, basic HD gun.

http://personalsecurityzone.com/images/REM81198lg.jpg

WiskyT
03-18-2012, 15:41
It looks like Remington is jumping on the Mossberg "put a breacher on everything" philosophy. Is there a rash of people getting locked in their own houses that I'm not aware of?