Access to concealed carry permit lists stirs debate [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Access to concealed carry permit lists stirs debate

TBO
03-15-2012, 15:54
Access to concealed carry permit lists stirs debate

http://www.sheboyganpress.com/article/20120312/SHE0101/120312019/Access-to-concealed-carry-permit-lists-stirs-debate-?odyssey=tab|mostpopular|text|FRONTPAGE

Angry Fist
03-15-2012, 15:58
I hope MO is one of those 20 states forbidding access. That there are lists the public can check is stupid! :fist:

F350
03-15-2012, 16:20
I hope MO is one of those 20 states forbidding access. That there are lists the public can check is stupid! :fist:
It is.

unit1069
03-16-2012, 07:32
Maybe residents of states that allow public inspection of CCW records will agitate to obtain the lists of folks who rent XXX-rated movies under "equal protection" clauses.

Jfduece
03-16-2012, 07:53
:steamed:

Liberals want bigger and bigger gov't. Then they want more watchdog groups for the big G that they voted for, yet don't trust. Where does it end for these idiots?

I can't wait for the one world gov't! When can I get my chip implanted so that they can watch and control my every move? Sign me up!

Bilbo Bagins
03-16-2012, 08:16
I understand some states list the names of new gun permit applicants in the newspaper.

I just don't understand the logic behind it. Why should people you don't know, have access to your name because you applied for a carry permit. If its a mental health issue, then make the new applicants put down 2 or 3 references when they apply. Other then that no one other then LE needs to know. Its called Concealed carry for a reason, and making the information public only opens up a can of worms for the applicant, with ID theft, theft of the firearm, divorce issue, and wrongful terminations.

Actually if I lived in a state that published my name, and I lost my job because my anti-gun boss saw it in the paper, I would not only sue the employer, but the newspaper and the state government organization that puts out the list.

ssharber
03-17-2012, 02:55
Here in TN, a Memphis newspaper located here http://www.commercialappeal.com/data/gunpermits/ has a searchable database for HCP holders that has a lot of individuals upset. They used to list the addresses also but stopped doing that. Many angry Memphis subscribers have written angry letters to the paper, but they continue to keep the database there. It's completely wrong.

Adam5
03-17-2012, 06:46
Things like this make me glad that GA doesn't have a statewide a database of GWL holders.

Misty02
03-17-2012, 08:51
What good would the list be to anyone? It would not contain a list of everyone that is carrying, just those who have jumped through some hoops to carry legally.

Aren’t they also concerned with all those that legally maintain a firearm in their home or vehicle without a license? I guess they’ll also want a list of all individuals that own firearms and whether or not one is maintained in the vehicle and mobile wherever they go?

I know they’re not concerned about those that carry illegally and that there is no way to check them, so I’m not even asking about that part. :upeyes:

redbaron007
03-17-2012, 20:46

It is.

^^
Bingo! Here's the statute (http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C500-599/5710000093.HTM).

:wavey:

red

ICARRY2
03-20-2012, 22:01
Well, I want to know who is receiving welfare. I want to go to their homes and see how they are living to make sure the taxpayers arent getting ripped off by those committing fraud.

I also want to know what type of food they are buying so that I know they are eating healthy and not wasting taxpayers dollars on junk food.

I also want to see their medical records. Gotta make sure they dont smoke, do drugs, drink alcohol, cholesterol levels are good, and they arent obese.

Angry Fist
03-21-2012, 18:28
Whoa!

DScottHewitt
03-22-2012, 10:05
Access to concealed carry permit lists stirs debate

http://www.sheboyganpress.com/article/20120312/SHE0101/120312019/Access-to-concealed-carry-permit-lists-stirs-debate-?odyssey=tab|mostpopular|text|FRONTPAGE

Some paper here in VA posted the full list a few years back. Response? The state legislature had the common sense to re-write the code so that the list is private now.

Some problems:

Putting a person's address in the paper attracts thieves
Someone hiding from an abuser who got a CHP/gun for protection can be found by the abuser
Family members are endangered when the armed family member is away and criminals come searching for weapons because they saw the "Shopping list" in the paper

Scott