Masterpiece arms protector 380 pocket gun [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Masterpiece arms protector 380 pocket gun

patgwashere
03-15-2012, 16:51
Hi All
Just received my MPA Protector 380 yesterday. I got it from buds and it was the newer protector 2 model.
i bought the stainless model for $285.
the gun was fired first time today at the range.
50 blazer fmj and 10 speer gold dot HP were shot with zero problems.
the gun has a ported barrel so recoil was actually less than I thought it would be for such a small gun (it is smaller than my LCP) It was very hard to field strip the first time I did it but the second time it was much easier.
Gun is made from solid block of steel. there is no cast or mim parts.
Cant speak for accuracy because my range was overcrowded and I could only get the 20 yard lane.
I cant hit the target often with my LCP from this far and the same went for this gun.
If it performs as well at 7 yards as my lcp does I just might have a new favorite pocket pistol.
If you get one of these order more recoil springs as it is recommended to change them every 200 rounds.
masterpieces website charges ridiculous shipping but if you order by phone they will mail parts for $5.00
there are 2 springs an inner and outer and they cost $2.00 each.

hoghunter82
03-15-2012, 17:28
Looks good. I hope your 380 works better than the MPA-22T I had. Gun looked really cool but was a total POS. As always, YMMV.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Adjuster
03-15-2012, 21:49
"Gun is made from solid block of steel."

What is the weight compared to the LCP or P3AT?

/

SigFTW
03-16-2012, 06:45
Nice pocket gun. :thumbsup:

I have a hard time shooting the LCP also because of my big hands and the long trigger pull. It looks and sounds like it's built like a tank compared to the LCP.

patgwashere
03-16-2012, 08:00

/

here more info from their website
https://www.masterpiecearms.com/special-info.php (https://www.masterpiecearms.com/special-info.php)
it is a little heavier than LCP but it is smaller and feels much more solid.

patgwashere
03-17-2012, 10:01

/

Here are the positives and negatives vs my lcp

Positives
So far very reliable but i have only shot 60 rounds through mine
all steel construction makes it feel stronger made than LCP
inexpensive paid $285 for stainless model
less painful to shoot than lcp due to porting.
smaller than lcp but still has good grip.
Better trigger than lcp. It is a heavy long pull but is very smooth unlike the LCP trigger
double strike capabilty just keep pulling the trigger.

Negatives
slightly heavier than LCP (but is smaller).
only has 5+1 capability LCP has 6+1
have to change recoil springs every 200 rounds but they are cheap. you can get the inner and outer springs for $2.00 each plus $5.00 shipping if you call in to Masterpiece arms.
Very hard to breakdown verses the LCP but gets easier after a couple of times doing it.
No real sights. there is a channel groove that runs the length of barrel which is the only sight.

hogship
03-17-2012, 11:12
Here are the positives and negatives vs my lcp

Positives
So far very reliable but i have only shot 60 rounds through mine
all steel construction makes it feel stronger made than LCP
inexpensive paid $285 for stainless model
less painful to shoot than lcp due to porting.
smaller than lcp but still has good grip.
Better trigger than lcp. It is a heavy long pull but is very smooth unlike the LCP trigger
double strike capabilty just keep pulling the trigger.

Negatives
slightly heavier than LCP (but is smaller).
only has 5+1 capability LCP has 6+1
have to change recoil springs every 200 rounds but they are cheap. you can get the inner and outer springs for $2.00 each plus $5.00 shipping if you call in to Masterpiece arms.
Very hard to breakdown verses the LCP but gets easier after a couple of times doing it.
No real sights. there is a channel groove that runs the length of barrel which is the only sight.

Being a straight blow-back design with shorter slide, I would imagine the recoil factor would be greater than the LCP, right from the start. I see the porting has been added to the design, which indicates to me that the recoil is something that needed to be addressed.

I have an LCP, and the recoil is manageable, but very stiff and unpleasant to shoot......not that it is something that is much of a consideration if ever needed for the purpose it is carried.

I like the MPA 380. The smaller size is a big plus......and, actually, the little bit of added weight is also a positive, when considering the recoil in this size of pistol.

Do feel like the replacement springs after only 200rds, seem like it ought to suggest something.........? Once the break-in period is past, the springs will last for years, though. Better get a half dozen sets of springs, and stash them........

5+1 vs 6+1 is not much of a consideration in this small of a pistol.......the small size is pretty much the only thing that matters, and makes it something you can have on your person, no matter what the circumstances. The weight isn't much of a consideration either, since we're talking about something so small, the weight can't be much anyway. I looked but didn't see the weight of the MPA......what is it?

Thanks for showing us, and giving us the LCP comparison pictures. Not sure that I'm ready to ditch the LCP yet, but the tiny size of the MPA and the Seecamp 380acp are what it would take to make that decision......... Well, who knows what might come along in the future!

ooc

cowboywannabe
03-17-2012, 11:32
is that a stainless slide but a rust magnet blued barrel and frame? or are those parts coated for a two tone look?

this gun is very similar to the LWS which costs substantially more because they are all stainless steel and hand fitted after CNCing and so many folks want them...supply and demand i guess.

Adjuster
03-17-2012, 11:52
This is a very intriguing option in the pocket pistols. I am also going to question and have concerns regarding the spring change every 200 rounds. What in the heck makes a spring wear out or become compromised after only 200 rounds???? Does the manufacturer give any reasoning for this??? Seems like they need to change the makeup of their springs to a more durable spring material. Other firearm springs last for thousands upon thousands of rounds and never need changed for the lifetime of the firearm. What is going on here???

/

Haldor
03-18-2012, 13:30
This is a very intriguing option in the pocket pistols. I am also going to question and have concerns regarding the spring change every 200 rounds. What in the heck makes a spring wear out or become compromised after only 200 rounds???? Does the manufacturer give any reasoning for this??? Seems like they need to change the makeup of their springs to a more durable spring material. Other firearm springs last for thousands upon thousands of rounds and never need changed for the lifetime of the firearm. What is going on here???
/

Most likely they are compressing the springs too much in normal use. It is straightforward engineering to determine the fatigue life of a spring. Sounds like Masterpiece Arms needs to hire a mechanical engineer (or pick a spring vendor who can do the calculations for them).

http://www.rockfordspring.com/springfatigue.asp

Why would anyone want a blowback .380 in this size when locked breach equivalents (Ruger LPC and Keltec P3AT) are readily available. Weight matters a lot in a pocket pistol and this pistol weighs around 12 oz empty (compared to 8 oz and 9 oz for the P3AT and LCP respectively). The "Solid Steel" construction doesn't impress me much. Locked breach pistols with polymer frames are the kings of durability in auto pistols. Besides how many people are ever going to shoot enough rounds through one of these for that to matter. This is hardly a range gun.