Warning Sign for Large Boat [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Warning Sign for Large Boat

Jim
03-15-2012, 17:08
Today we took a 4 hour cruise on a replica stern-wheeler in Ft Myers, FL; licensed for about 400 people.

There is a sign on the pier by the gangway, saying:

NOTICE

The U.S. Coast Guard is enforcing certain maritime security requirements for access control, including SCREENING you and/or your purse bag or other container.

YOU AGREE to allow us to screen you and/or your purse bag or other container, as may be required by boarding or remaining on board this vessel.

YOU MAY NOT board or remain on board this vessel unless you allow us to screen you and/or your purse bag or other container as may be required.

Of course, there was NO screening of any kind.

So, what does it mean? I notice the sign does not mention any specific statute or Coast Guard regulation, and it doesn't even say what items migh be prohibited: if you get screened and find a firearm, do they just say "have a nice day", or throw you in jail for 20 years?

Enquiring Minds Want to Know!

pipedreams
03-15-2012, 17:55
This sound a lot like the postings you will see when boarding a cruise ship in FL. or any other place.

Jim
03-15-2012, 18:10
I don't recall the wording of the signs by the big cruise ships, but you are correct that they do exist and security does a pretty fair screening for the ships we've used.

I'm not sure if the cruise ship screenings are required by law, or just compay policy.
And that doesn't tell us about the validity of the sign I saw today.

smokeross
03-15-2012, 18:45
They are checking for bananas. Bad luck on a boat. Either that or it's just an excuse to feel up the good looking ones like the TSA does.

Glockrunner
03-15-2012, 19:10
In SC it is against the state law to carry concealled on mass transit units I believe.

You may be in the same situation in FL, I don't know. You could always look up the law or ask the Skipper of the boat.

Jim
03-16-2012, 14:30
No prohibition like that in FL.
Too late to ask the crew what the sign means.

I'm skeptical about the "validity" of the sign because:

It does not quote any written authority (Federal or State statute, Coast Guard reg, etc).
It does not say what items (firearms? nuclear weapons?) are prohibited, if any.
It does not list any penalty for having a "prohibited" item.

The sign has the "B.S." smell about it, but that doesn't guarantee anything.

Still hoping someone here will really know...

pipedreams
03-16-2012, 14:46
The sign has the "B.S." smell about it, but that doesn't guarantee anything.

You may correct about that. I know we have places here that put up signs that carry no weight of the law. The most they can do is ask you to leave if they were to discover you are carrying a weapon. If you were to refuse they could call police and get you for trespassing. Hopefully some FL. people on here can give you a better answer.

steveksux
03-16-2012, 17:03
Certain size/class of vessels are subject to Coast Guard security regs, including no firearms. not sure if it depends on size, weight, passenger capacity. Its a certain class of vessel.

Found that out asking about taking a Detroit Princess riverboat dinner cruise.

If you are searched, found to have a firearm, coast guard would likely be called and results would not be favorable to you.

Check with the local coast guard to see what's up. This may or may not apply to that particular ship, and I could be wrong.

But it behooves you to find out for sure before you potentially jam yourself up on a federal beef.

I was concerned because of a potential border crossing into Canadian waters at some point in the voyage. Turns out that wasn't the problem since we weren't docking in Canada, but the coast guard on my side of the river would have been the problem.

Randy

kensteele
03-16-2012, 17:07
Be careful, anything regarding the federal gvt may apply without notice. You won't see any [meaningful] signs in the NPs to tell you to behave but the violations are indeed real. Fed and military stuff isn't always apparent.

Glockrunner
03-16-2012, 18:13
You maynot understand Marinetime law but try this.
Nextime askto speak with the Skipper/Captain of the vessel. It is his domain. Listen to what he tells you and follow his commands. You won't be sorry.:yawn:

Today we took a 4 hour cruise on a replica stern-wheeler in Ft Myers, FL; licensed for about 400 people.

There is a sign on the pier by the gangway, saying:

NOTICE

The U.S. Coast Guard is enforcing certain maritime security requirements for access control, including SCREENING you and/or your purse bag or other container.

YOU AGREE to allow us to screen you and/or your purse bag or other container, as may be required by boarding or remaining on board this vessel.

YOU MAY NOT board or remain on board this vessel unless you allow us to screen you and/or your purse bag or other container as may be required.

Of course, there was NO screening of any kind.

So, what does it mean? I notice the sign does not mention any specific statute or Coast Guard regulation, and it doesn't even say what items migh be prohibited: if you get screened and find a firearm, do they just say "have a nice day", or throw you in jail for 20 years?

Enquiring Minds Want to Know!

ballr4lyf
03-16-2012, 19:52
You may correct about that. I know we have places here that put up signs that carry no weight of the law. The most they can do is ask you to leave if they were to discover you are carrying a weapon. If you were to refuse they could call police and get you for trespassing. Hopefully some FL. people on here can give you a better answer.

This is the same for FL. The sign may carry no legal weight, however the proprietor of the establishment does reserve the right to ask you to leave. Failure to do so could lead to a trespassing charge.

Mr. Blandings
03-18-2012, 22:08
Sounds like a warning posted in response to the Maritime Transportation Security Act of 2002 (http://www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/MTSA.pdf) which requires specified vessel operators to maintain a security plan. Depending on where the boat traveled (specifically, in relation to any designated port facilities) you may or may not have violated some federal law.

Folks, keep in mind it's the TRANSPORTATION Security Administration - not the Airport Security Administration. TSA has expanded the number of VIPR teams (and other federal agencies have jumped on the pop-up security screening points, too).

Jim
03-21-2012, 17:54
Sounds like a warning posted in response to the Maritime Transportation Security Act of 2002 (http://www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/MTSA.pdf) which requires specified vessel operators to maintain a security plan. Depending on where the boat traveled (specifically, in relation to any designated port facilities) you may or may not have violated some federal law.

Folks, keep in mind it's the TRANSPORTATION Security Administration - not the Airport Security Administration. TSA has expanded the number of VIPR teams (and other federal agencies have jumped on the pop-up security screening points, too).

Thanks for that!
Actually, I didn't carry there and so didn't violate anything. But that law sounds like a good explanation for the sign.

Can someone who is familar with the Act, give us a general explanation on how it might apply to CC? The "Designated Port Facility" thing could get confusing.

Paul53
03-21-2012, 18:39
Sounds like they're just reserving the right to protect you and them if they see something suspicious. IMHO.

southern118
03-21-2012, 19:01
Look at 33CFR101 and 33CFR104(maybe). I do not deal with vessels in my job as of right now but i do deal with MTSA and understand the regs very well. There are state laws that do not allow guns to be carried upon a vessel. The rate they screen people is random and cant be explained or discussed. the act goes into security of a essel adn i can tell you without a doubt that if a cruise ship was to find a gun it is a breach of there security and they will be calling local law enforcement along with the coast guard.

Brian Dover
03-22-2012, 12:49

We have some floating restaurants here built atop old barge bodies, sitting on the Ohio River. No engines, barges are moored in place. I've seen similar warning signs to those mentioned earlier, on the gangplanks leading from the shore to the vessels.

Thing is we don't have much a Coast Guard presence here in CincyTucky, although they do have a patrol craft or two. I've seen a crew of them at one of the floating restaurants (Hooters) but they seemed more interested in ogling waitresses than searching patrons. :supergrin: Still, in some sort of emergency circumstances related to the Ohio River they probably do have a fair amount of power delegated to them.

southern118
03-22-2012, 15:39
Chances are the barges are inspected by the Coast Guard unless the Dept of engenering has pulled there COI and made thema permantely moored barge. Believe it or not you probably would never see them doing an inspection unless they were there and you were in the office or something. Like i said earlier there are state laws and other things you have to take into account.

paragon1
03-23-2012, 20:33
We have been boarded by Coasties before. Charter boat. We tell them where the guns are if they ask. They don't seem to care much. Mostly looking at life safety issues, and proper federal permits.