Bolt action .410 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bolt action .410

Berto
03-15-2012, 19:08
Another possible gem beckoned at the local haunt, a Stevens 59B .410 bolt action shotgun.
I have absolutely no use for something like this, but it's cheap ($100), has a nifty tube magazine and nondescript hardwood stock. It might be fun for shooting slugs or one of them newer 4 or 5 ball 000 loads from federal.
I'm not sure what choking it has, if any, but it might be fun to shorten a bit and put sights on it....basically a fun little project gun.
Worth it?

Travclem
03-15-2012, 20:42
Why not? I have a Mossberg bolt action .410 from when I was a kid, but it had a box magazine. Sounds like a fun project to work on.

Folsom_Prison
03-15-2012, 20:44
I'd go for it, I mean why not?

garyjandfamily
03-16-2012, 19:29
I grew up shooting my Dad's Springfield .410 bolt action. Shot a lot of quail, grouse, squirrels and rabbits with that gun!

Made me tough too - thing was so damn heavy that it should have had a gun carriage under it...

Berto
03-17-2012, 20:42
I plan to buy it once I have the extra cash.
Long term, I think I will shorten the barrel, refinish the stock and maybe add some sights to replace the bead.
I have this weird affection for 'unloved' guns like bolt shotguns and .410, no less.:supergrin:

vafish
03-17-2012, 21:25
I plan to buy it once I have the extra cash.
Long term, I think I will shorten the barrel, refinish the stock and maybe add some sights to replace the bead.
I have this weird affection for 'unloved' guns like bolt shotguns and .410, no less.:supergrin:

It probably has a full choke in it, shortening the barrel will remove all choke. With the light payload of the .410 the pattern will be very sparse.

I would not shorten the barrel on it, unless you want to use it only for slugs.

Marlin made a version of their model 55 bolt action shotgun with a 20" barrel and a poly choke on it. I was given a 20 ga Model 55 a couple years ago, I've been toying with the idea of making a 20 ga swamp gun out of it. The poly choke would make it useful.

bac1023
03-17-2012, 21:26
For $100, go for it. :cool:

TN.Frank
03-17-2012, 21:33
I love bolt action shotguns. I had a Mossberg 16ga one year when dove season came around. We were hunting over a mellow patch and I saw two birds coming in over the patch, I actually got both by working the bolt from the shoulder. It was the coolest thing. They're normally cheaper then even a single shot goes for today and you have 3 rounds(in most) at your finger tips. Just learn to work the bolt from the shoulder(read an excerpt in Guns and Ammo many years ago about working a bolt rifle from the shoulder for dangerous game in Africa and it stuck with me) and you'll be as fast as most guys with a pump gun.

arclight610
03-17-2012, 22:47
It would be pretty formidable with the new defense .410 loads out.

Berto
03-18-2012, 16:19
It probably has a full choke in it, shortening the barrel will remove all choke. With the light payload of the .410 the pattern will be very sparse.

I would not shorten the barrel on it, unless you want to use it only for slugs.

Marlin made a version of their model 55 bolt action shotgun with a 20" barrel and a poly choke on it. I was given a 20 ga Model 55 a couple years ago, I've been toying with the idea of making a 20 ga swamp gun out of it. The poly choke would make it useful.

I'm not sure what direction I'm leaning yet, but the full choke would limit it's usefulness with everything but birdshot-which would be why I chop it.
I've never seen a polychoke on the .410, but that would be an interesting option.

JayAK
03-18-2012, 21:25
Go for it!
Any excuse to get a new gun is a great one!

Texas357
03-25-2012, 22:11
I have a bolt action single-shot .410. So old it doesn't have a serial number. I asked about it at a gun shop, they had it labeled as a .22, so I talked them down another $20 seeing as they obviously had no interest in it.

It was fun. Lightweight, easy to use. I wish .410 ammo was cheaper. Broke a pin on it, need to replace it. So few moving parts, and it still managed to snap one of them.

If I saw another in that price range, I'd buy it right away. Single, or with a magazine. Bolt-action shotguns have some strange appeal.

Berto
03-26-2012, 17:59
I have a bolt action single-shot .410. So old it doesn't have a serial number. I asked about it at a gun shop, they had it labeled as a .22, so I talked them down another $20 seeing as they obviously had no interest in it.

It was fun. Lightweight, easy to use. I wish .410 ammo was cheaper. Broke a pin on it, need to replace it. So few moving parts, and it still managed to snap one of them.

If I saw another in that price range, I'd buy it right away. Single, or with a magazine. Bolt-action shotguns have some strange appeal.

If it's still at the shop, I'll snag it. It looks like fun, really.