New Holster Dye Marring My OD Glock Frame [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New Holster Dye Marring My OD Glock Frame

MeanAction
03-16-2012, 03:40
My new made to order holsters are getting black dye on my OD Glock.:crying: I was hoping someone could recommend a solvant to remove this dye without hurting the frame? Also, anyone have any ideas for stopping the bleed onto my sidearm? I spoke with the maker and he said that I could put some oil on the inside and that would help the dye set up. Do I want oil inside my holster? I really want to use them and it seems like I would have to let them sit for a while after treating the inside. Thanks for sharing ideas and past experience.

voyager4520
03-16-2012, 03:53
What material is the holster?

I don't have any experience with that, but I know Hoppe's Elite Gun Cleaner won't harm the frame. I have no idea how effective it would be removing dye though. Glock says in their instruction manual that any chemical made for gun cleaning will not harm a Glock frame or any of their other plastic parts, so presumably you could use bore solvent on the frame, though again I have no idea how effective it would be removing dye.

03-16-2012, 06:38
If the OD frame is porus enough to soak up the dye, then the only way to remove it may be to remove the area that absorbed the dye - you probably don't want to do that. You could try a light scrub with a toothbrush and Bon Ami? But even that may polish the surface of the frame.

I had this happen years ago with a cheap holster and ivory stocks, I had to sand down and repolish the ivory.

Sorry, I have no magic pill for this problem ... I'd go to a different holster maker though, sounds like the product needs to be more professionally finished!

6StringGeek
03-16-2012, 06:55
I would not put oil in your holster. Just let it sit out for a few days/week til it is dry and then wipe it out to make sure it's set. You might put it in front of a fan to speed the process.

happyguy
03-16-2012, 07:15
Put it in an oven at 350, when the juices flow clear it's done.

Regards,
Happyguy :)

Rumbler_G20
03-16-2012, 07:46
I'm sorry. I don't have a solution for you.

But the pure hilarity of worrying about staining on what is unarguably the most gawdawful ugly handgun brand in the history of mankind is just too much to bear.

. . I'm going to go walk out into traffic now with my eyes closed. :wavey:

Nickotym
03-16-2012, 09:32
you might try a magic eraser cleaning sponge. Works wonders for stains in odd places.

High Noon
03-16-2012, 22:17
Its called gassing out. There are also times when the leather just does not take the dye well, but you said it was new, so gassing out seems to fit.

This may help http://www.highnoonholsters.com/_Questions/_questions.html#62

MeanAction
03-21-2012, 03:39
[QUOTE=Rumbler_G20;18717570]I'm sorry. I don't have a solution for you.

But the pure hilarity of worrying about staining on what is unarguably the most gawdawful ugly handgun brand in the history of mankind is just too much to bear.

GET A LIFE! :tongueout:

MeanAction
03-21-2012, 03:40
Its called gassing out. There are also times when the leather just does not take the dye well, but you said it was new, so gassing out seems to fit.

This may help http://www.highnoonholsters.com/_Questions/_questions.html#62

This helps.

MeanAction
03-21-2012, 03:40
you might try a magic eraser cleaning sponge. Works wonders for stains in odd places.

...But it didn't work.

MeanAction
03-21-2012, 03:41
What material is the holster?

I don't have any experience with that, but I know Hoppe's Elite Gun Cleaner won't harm the frame. I have no idea how effective it would be removing dye though. Glock says in their instruction manual that any chemical made for gun cleaning will not harm a Glock frame or any of their other plastic parts, so presumably you could use bore solvent on the frame, though again I have no idea how effective it would be removing dye.

for the info about the chemicals and frame.

MeanAction
03-21-2012, 03:42
I would not put oil in your holster. Just let it sit out for a few days/week til it is dry and then wipe it out to make sure it's set. You might put it in front of a fan to speed the process.

I am currently putting them in the sun each day.

MeanAction
03-21-2012, 03:44
Put it in an oven at 350, when the juices flow clear it's done.

Regards,
Happyguy :)

Why that's your two new holster in the oven, dear.