MagSafe ammo? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : MagSafe ammo?

RoundBrown
03-16-2012, 08:31
Anyone tried this stuff or know of it. it claims 2000+ fps out of a 45ACP..

Jim S.
03-16-2012, 12:28
That's because it is a very light weight bullet and loaded fairly hot.
I do not consider it a "normal" self defense round because it is not known for it's penetration.
It fragments upon impact and may not penetrate enough to hit vital organs or arteries if the bad guy is wearing heavy clothing.
It is however considered safer in a home over a normal FMJ or JHP that will penetrate several interior walls unless of course it hits a stud or two.
It is also rather expensive since it is considered "specialty" ammo.

WoodenPlank
03-16-2012, 14:09
Jim S. summed it up. Stick with a modern, proven JHP load for .45ACP.

collim1
03-16-2012, 14:19
It comes in packs of 8rds selling for approx $20 a pack.

I see it collecting dust on the shelf of my local gun shops year after year.

concretefuzzynuts
03-16-2012, 14:38
It is used by air marshals on planes because it will not penetrate the fuselage. Also is used by some police in densely populated areas like apt buildings.

The round is designed to penetrate flesh but breaks up upon impact with a solid surface. It will not penetrate standard wall construction.

Having said that, yes, I fired it at ballistic gel and would not want to be on the wrong end of it. Google test results. It is a devastating load.

WoodenPlank
03-16-2012, 17:23
]It is used by air marshals on planes because it will not penetrate the fuselage.[/B] Also is used by some police in densely populated areas like apt buildings.

The round is designed to penetrate flesh but breaks up upon impact with a solid surface. It will not penetrate standard wall construction.

Having said that, yes, I fired it at ballistic gel and would not want to be on the wrong end of it. Google test results. It is a devastating load.

US Air Marshal service issues Speer Gold Dot in 357SIG for the department issued SIG P229. They do not use MagSafe, or any other similar load.

NG VI
03-16-2012, 18:01
Definitely not used by any police, anywhere, especially not the Air Marshalls. A small hole in an airplane fuselage won't wreak any havoc at all.

WoodenPlank
03-16-2012, 18:09
Definitely not used by any police, anywhere, especially not the Air Marshalls. A small hole in an airplane fuselage won't wreak any havoc at all.

Nope. Reduce speed, and (in the words of Gregory House) dive until I can club baby seals out the window. You'll get released oxygen masks and a few full barf bags, and not much else so long as the guys in the front office have a clue.

Deanster
03-16-2012, 18:10
I seem to remember a SD authority (Ayoob? Sanow? maybe just a GT yammerhead?) that Glaser and MagSafe were absolutely deadly rounds, but only because the attacker would for sure die in 3-5 days from peritonitis (infection due to perforated bowel), after having killed you on the spot.

I have no experience with the round myself, but would avoid it as an SD round at all costs.

WoodenPlank
03-16-2012, 18:13
I seem to remember a SD authority (Ayoob? Sanow? maybe just a GT yammerhead?) that Glaser and MagSafe were absolutely deadly rounds, but only because the attacker would for sure die in 3-5 days from peritonitis (infection due to perforated bowel), after having killed you on the spot.

I have no experience with the round myself, but would avoid it as an SD round at all costs.

That sounds like something Mas would say.... :rofl:

Deanster
03-16-2012, 18:17
FWIW, realized that 'glaser peritonitis' was likely to be a successful Google search, and it popped up the original quote, which was from Martin Fackler, as quoted in a 1989 FBI study.

The original quote is on Page 5, and reads:

"Fackler, when asked to estimate the survival time of someone shot in the front mid-abdomen with a Glaser slug, responded, "About three days, and the cause of death would be peritonitis."

(Mods - quoted material is in the public domain as a product of the US Gov't)

Here's a link to the study http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf

WoodenPlank
03-16-2012, 18:22
FWIW, realized that 'glaser peritonitis' was likely to be a successful Google search, and it popped up the original quote, which was from Martin Fackler, as quoted in a 1989 FBI study.

The original quote is on Page 5, and reads:

"Fackler, when asked to estimate the survival time of someone shot in the front mid-abdomen with a Glaser slug, responded, "About three days, and the cause of death would be peritonitis."

(Mods - quoted material is in the public domain as a product of the US Gov't)

Here's a link to the study http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf

Bah, the original quote is a lot less entertaining.

Jim S.
03-16-2012, 19:01
It will not penetrate standard wall construction.

Actually all of the frangibles such as MagSafe and Glaser can penetrate through wall board and and still have enough mass and velocity to do damage to a person.
Nowhere near a normal JHP or FMJ round but still a potential threat.
Won't pass through a stud and it is definately coming apart as it passes through the second layer of drywall but it does go through in most instances.

I've shot enough of these through wall board when they first came on the scene.

concretefuzzynuts
03-16-2012, 19:02
US Air Marshal service issues Speer Gold Dot in 357SIG for the department issued SIG P229. They do not use MagSafe, or any other similar load.

My info must be out of date. This is what I was told in 1999. I stand corrected and defer to those with current info.

concretefuzzynuts
03-19-2012, 13:37
http://magsafeonline.com/index.html

BTW... not what I would carry. I just think knowledge is power and a person shouldn't just trust all they hear but should do their own full research.