Globalrescue.com [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Globalrescue.com

emt1581
03-16-2012, 12:53
My wife had a procedure done today. While in the waiting room I was paging through this magazine "Outside interest" or something like that.

Anyway, there was a small ad that caught my eye for medical and security assistance abroad. I briefly looked at the site but it seems like, for a fee, you get the ability to call them anywhere anytime and they launch a team to rescue you. For $655 a person or $1150 for an entire family that seems like a hell of a bargain!! Can you imagine having that kinda capability at your fingertips?!?!

Anyone ever heard of such a thing? What are your thoughts on it?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

Bilbo Bagins
03-16-2012, 13:01
If its legit and if I traveled more than I do now I would look into it.

About 90% of the medical facilities outside of the USA sucks. If you are overseas, especially 3rd world and you get hurt bad, or get really sick and wind up in a hospital, there is a good chance that they will do more harm than good.

If you are the walking wounded, get your butt on a plane and back home, if not call these guys.

bdcochran
03-16-2012, 13:11
Sounds great.

It should be a service subscribed to by anyone going to the middle east. Has to be better than the following. I have a client's wife who bought a similar product in the airport in Buenos Aires. The company has sales in airports all over the world. It is headquartered in Florida (nah I don't regard Florida PO Boxes as being flake addresses). Unfortunately, when she asked benefits, no response!

Heck, I can't even fly one way to Paris for $650 and these guys fly all over the world.:rofl:

Every day, my girlfriend tells me of calls to her airline. People buy $1000 dogs in Nigeria and then call when the airline is not delivering the dog. And, they think that someone at the airline must have stolen the dog.

If it is too good to be true, buy a magnifying glass to read the fine print.

Did you read the ad in the National Enquirer, The Star or News of the World?:upeyes:

emt1581
03-16-2012, 13:20
Sounds great.

It should be a service subscribed to by anyone going to the middle east. Has to be better than the following. I have a client's wife who bought a similar product in the airport in Buenos Aires. The company has sales in airports all over the world. It is headquartered in Florida (nah I don't regard Florida PO Boxes as being flake addresses). Unfortunately, when she asked benefits, no response!

Heck, I can't even fly one way to Paris for $650 and these guys fly all over the world.:rofl:

Every day, my girlfriend tells me of calls to her airline. People buy $1000 dogs in Nigeria and then call when the airline is not delivering the dog. And, they think that someone at the airline must have stolen the dog.

If it is too good to be true, buy a magnifying glass to read the fine print.

Did you read the ad in the National Enquirer, The Star or News of the World?:upeyes:

Re-read the original post for the mag name...

As far as fine print this is the only thing I saw that is somewhat off-putting...

"If an official of the traveler’s home or host country declares the member should leave the area, or there is a threat of imminent grievous bodily harm, evacuations are provided at no cost to these members."

Hell that could take days if it happens at all!! I'm thinking that is NOT the only way you get rescued...but still I don't want some state-dept./politician/etc. person needing to be contacted for ANYTHING when it comes to my family's safety unless they are personally motivated to help!!

The things that are not mentioned are kidnappings, hostage situations, local gangs/guerillas as the threat, etc....it seems like it has to be a large scale SHTF rather than something personal. If that is the case, how the hell are these people working aircraft and spec ops team without the US or whatever other military is in the area interfering or blowing them out of the sky??

-Emt1581

expatman
03-16-2012, 13:40
They are legit. I do not know much about the company although I do know there are "security contractor" types with A-stan and Iraq experience employed by them. I would assume they are part of the recovery teams or whatever.

Bilbo Bagins
03-16-2012, 13:51

And you cannot buy a new car for $650 either, but that is what I pay for car insurance.

Its all about the game of large numbers. AAA estimates 25 MILLION American tourist travel overseas each year. Of them only approximately 1000 die of a "un-natural" death, due to car accidents, drownings, etc.

Even if you times the death rate by 10 to get a rough estimate of Americans who get seriously injured and need hospitalization, that is not a lot. If you can talk just 5% of the total of American tourist traveling overseas to buy this insurance, you would be making a sizable profit ( over $650 Million), even if they picked all 10,000 injured American overseas. Odds are however at 5% of that total 25 million, maybe one or two policy holders a year will need the service. All your talking in terms of expense is hiring EMT and/or a Nurse, and chartering a flight.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2008/05/02/idUS173418+02-May-2008+BW20080502

http://thejetpacker.com/how-many-americans-die-abroad-each-year/

wjv
03-16-2012, 13:54
They basically operate like an insurance company.

5,000 people provide $3.25M. Two of those people need "rescuing" at a cost of $1M = $2.25M profit.

cowboy1964
03-16-2012, 17:19
And what happpens when 90% of the clients need help at the same time when the global SHTF occurs?

expatman
03-16-2012, 18:47
AH, they go out of business perhaps?

emt1581
03-16-2012, 18:51
AH, they go out of business perhaps?

Right, along with the majority of the rest of the business-world.

This company is for relatively small scale SHTF's....but hopefully those personal SHTF's are covered as well.

Still curious how they bypass the US and other militaries as well as how they do ANYTHING in countries where weapons are not allowed??

-Emt1581

expatman
03-16-2012, 18:54
There are many security operations conducted "sans" weapons. It is not unusual, it just sucks!

emt1581
03-16-2012, 19:00
There are many security operations conducted "sans" weapons. It is not unusual, it just sucks!

Yeah and I wouldn't want it.

What do you get when you attend a gun fight "sans" your gun??? :supergrin:

-Emt1581

expatman
03-16-2012, 19:09
A true security professional avoids gunfights whenever possible even when armed. The idea is not to get into a fight in the first place. That is the job of our armed forces. If the security element is shooting then they have failed in at least the first half of their mission. They better hope that they are better with the second half if shooting starts.

emt1581
03-16-2012, 19:14
A true security professional avoids gunfights whenever possible even when armed. The idea is not to get into a fight in the first place. That is the job of our armed forces. If the security element is shooting then they have failed in at least the first half of their mission. They better hope that they are better with the second half if shooting starts.

...especially if they have no gun to shoot back with!!

Hopefully their pixie dust and LARPing experience pays off!

-Emt1581

expatman
03-16-2012, 19:25
I don't think that Global Rescue is in the business of shooting it up with the bad guys. They do more things such as come and get you if you are in a hospital, stuck in a crumbling govt. situation such as the opening days of the Egypt fiasco, for example. I am sure that when they go into a nonpermissive enviornment and the law allows they will carry weapons for simple protection. I doubt they will break local laws though. If the law precludes the carrying of weapons they do have people that are versed in low profile operations. At least they did when I spoke with a person who was solicited by them for employment. Not all situations require gunplay.

If a situation has gone so far that you need the A-team to break you out of prison, I don't think G.R. is going to be of much assistance other than trying to leverage the local govt. authorities in your behalf. I could be wrong but I would not bet on it. That is more of a job for Executive Outcomes whom is nolonger in operation.

emt1581
03-16-2012, 19:35
Not all situations require gunplay.

But as the typical CCW argument goes...what, pray tell, do you do when they DO?

Lets say the locals are taking over the neighborhood I'm in and I have 10 floors until I'm toast...what?...are they just going to lower me a rope from a chopper? Or maybe a stern talking to and some pepper-spray will do the trick??

Aside from the argument of guns I'm wondering how prompt this service is?? When seconds count help is only minuter, hours, or days away....or how does it work?

Thanks

-Emt1581

bdcochran
03-16-2012, 21:00
I formed insurance companies, wrote manuscript policies.

The person who buys travel insurance is not the same as a person who buys "rescue insurance". The person buying "rescue insurance" is a self-selecting adverse risk.

The person who buys just travel insurance is part of the herd. The person going to a destination with problems is not the same type of risk.

The travel insurance business works with the concept of large numbers as well.

All insurance companies are also not the same. And this company is not an insurance company. For example, 20th Century deliberately insured more than 20% of the automobiles in LA County. When the earthquake came, there were more than 8,000 car loss claims and the company almost went under. It chose to insure what are considered normal risks, but in a concentrated area. "Rescue insurance" involving merc type people is not medical insurance issued to travelers.

expatman
03-17-2012, 02:48
But as the typical CCW argument goes...what, pray tell, do you do when they DO?

You should have called them before it got to this point.

Lets say the locals are taking over the neighborhood I'm in and I have 10 floors until I'm toast...what?...are they just going to lower me a rope from a chopper? Or maybe a stern talking to and some pepper-spray will do the trick??

Good GOD man! They are not your private SWAT team. They are making themselves available to you to extract you from a situation that you identify as becoming serious BEFORE the problem arises.

Aside from the argument of guns I'm wondering how prompt this service is?? When seconds count help is only minuter, hours, or days away....or how does it work?

Have you read through their website? I did about 6 mos. to a year ago. They prvide evac to medical facilities of your choice. If required they will deploy a security team for you. I do not believe they will provide your very own PSD team but will deploy security in order to help remove you from your situation. They will assist you with visa and passport issues as sometimes that is the only emergency you face. Ever try leaving a country such as Iraq for example without the proper exit visa? I can imagine it is quite disturbing.

Thanks

-Emt1581

I just went to their websit.

Here is a list of some of their member services:

CORE MEMBER SERVICES

YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN YOU'LL NEED US

Medical consultations in English by world-class physicians
Deployable medical, security, and rescue teams
Field rescues for members who need hospitalization but can't get to a hospital
Paramedics and healthcare professionals deployable around the world
Evacuation and transfer services on medically equipped helicopters, jets and commercial aircraft
Medical Transport to member choice of home country hospital
Emergency security evacuations for crisis, war, or natural disasters (for members who opt for this service)
Aircraft can be launched in as little as 90 minutes
All U.S. based Global Rescue authorized medical service providers are certified by the Commission on Accreditation of Medical Transport Systems (CAMTS)
Travel intelligence including recommended inoculations, weather, country and regional stability and crime reports
Emergency message relay to family members
Local physician and dentist locator services
Telephonic interpretation
Visa and passport services
Local legal referrals
Transport of mortal remains
Services available 365 days per year, 24 hours per day

I think they are marketing themselves to customers such as the aid organizations and such who do not operate within larger groups such as the U.N. for example.

A buddy of mine whom I used to work with had an interesting adventure. He was working a contract in Berundi as a project recruiting administrator or something like that. The company tasked him with driving to XYZ location (can't remember the city) across the border to the Congo. This is an unarmed contract mind you. Along the way was a village of some type that had a church worker, maybe a missionary I suppose, who had something wrong. I think it was and appendex issue. With permission from his company he stopped at that village and picked up the worker and took her/him along to the city he was driving to. It was a very long drive.

I suppose that had this workers organization hired the services of someone such as this Global Rescue then they could have provided extraction for them. As it was they were very lucky that our company had someone on the ground in the vicinity at the time.

I se this as a prime example of what they may be able to provide. It is not all about shooting it up and laying waste "Conan" style. I bet there are a lot of people such as news agencies, aid organizations, exploratory teams for oil companies, etc....that would find these guys valuable.

emt1581
03-17-2012, 06:49
I actually did think this was a private SWAT team of sorts. I was imagining a Rambo (the most recent one) team of merc's if needed... THAT would be comforting to have should something happen to my family and I...not a "diplomatic solution" type of group.

I do see how they might be useful to certain groups. Just not mine.

-Emt1581

expatman
03-17-2012, 06:54
Have you viewed their web site?

I get the feeling you are trying to be funny and waist my time. If so then shame on me for not catching it sooner.

emt1581
03-17-2012, 06:56
Have you viewed their web site?

I get the feeling you are trying to be funny and waist my time. If so then shame on me for not catching it sooner.

Not trying to be funny. But I did get a different impression initially. I looked at every page on their site...just interpreted it differently, possibly due to a lack of personal experience in the matter.

-Emt1581