There are no solutions! Deal with it! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : There are no solutions! Deal with it!

Dexters
03-16-2012, 16:43
A couple of threads have come up and some point the question was raised: What is the solution?
The people are usually wanting to know how to get back to a better point in time or how do we avoid the bad times.

One thread was about overpopulation the others usually have to deal with the USA budget deficit and debt. My opinion - there is no going back to a better point in time and only bad times lay ahead.

I guess a third is the current Central Banks' actions around the world.

There are no solutions - just bad times to come - deal with it!

cyrsequipment
03-16-2012, 16:54
Thank you Kreskin...

Dexters
03-16-2012, 17:12
Thank you Kreskin...

You mean Dr. Phil. The first step in recovery is admitting you have a problem, then identifying what it is, seeking help and dealing with it.

cyrsequipment
03-16-2012, 17:18
No, I meant Kreskin, he also purports to predict the future without using facts, figures or reality...

Dexters
03-16-2012, 17:24
No, I meant Kreskin, he also purports to predict the future without using facts, figures or reality...

A naked man jumps from the top of the Empire State Building.

I say, he will hit the ground.

You ask, how can he get back to the top before hitting the ground and in a tuxedo? Now, that is looking for magic.

Bolster
03-16-2012, 17:39
Well since we're airing opinions:

One thing that's difficult about predicting the course of the American experiment, is that we've had a string of bad leadership. I think you could argue that the last three presidents have taken the US in unusually bad directions, with this last one being breathtakingly remarkable for making harmful decisions and causing deep (and possibly unrecoverable?) trauma to the body politic. With a decent leader we might be able to start healing, and at least give our kids a shot at a bright future.

But I'd also say those chances are slim. The population that elects the prez is IMO beyond hope. (Possibly biased since I live in LA; might have a different opinion of I live in the heartland.) You'd have to combat the absolutely kooky dysfunctional ideologies of at least a third of the US population, and that would be a real uphill battle. There are a lot of people with bankrupt ideas, working hard at insuring our future is a bad one.

cyrsequipment
03-17-2012, 04:35
A naked man jumps from the top of the Empire State Building.

I say, he will hit the ground.

You ask, how can he get back to the top before hitting the ground and in a tuxedo? Now, that is looking for magic.

You're equating the Law of Gravity to a nebulous topic line "Avoiding Bad Times" and saying both have the same certainty for a tragic outcome? Who is using magical thinking?

Dexters
03-17-2012, 06:07
You're equating the Law of Gravity to a nebulous topic line "Avoiding Bad Times" and saying both have the same certainty for a tragic outcome? Who is using magical thinking?

No.
I'm pointing out that I'm looking at trends and where they lead. While you are looking for a magical wizard to save you.

UneasyRider
03-17-2012, 07:36
A couple of threads have come up and some point the question was raised: What is the solution?
The people are usually wanting to know how to get back to a better point in time or how do we avoid the bad times.

One thread was about overpopulation the others usually have to deal with the USA budget deficit and debt. My opinion - there is no going back to a better point in time and only bad times lay ahead.

Have to a say that I agree. Any solutions will be multi generational and involve a lot of hard wok, sacrifice and nationalistic thinking. The current citizens of our country just don't have it in them.

cyrsequipment
03-17-2012, 08:02
No.
I'm pointing out that I'm looking at trends and where they lead. While you are looking for a magical wizard to save you.

Where did I say that I was looking for something magical? It was your analogy, not mine.

There is always a solution. Will it be a solution that the S&P Forum of Glocktalk will come up with? Nope. But there is a solution. Whether that solutuon is implemented or not is another matter as well.

bdcochran
03-17-2012, 08:02
Dexters and Bolster are correct.

The last politician to tell it how it is was Walter Mondale. When he was down in the polls and it was clear that he was not going be elected, he gave a speech in which he said America could not afford all of its promises and needed to establish priorities. You will never have a leader elected at any political level who makes such a statement.

Do you live with your own, personal means? Do you keep up with your meds and exercise? Do you work on obtaining new skills? If so, you are dealing with your reality and what are increasingly bad times for others.

Ranting won't make things better. Even if you are right and a winner in the blame game, you have wasted your own personal resources.

Dexters
03-17-2012, 08:23
Where did I say that I was looking for something magical? It was your analogy, not mine.

There is always a solution. Will it be a solution that the S&P Forum of Glocktalk will come up with? Nope. But there is a solution. Whether that solutuon is implemented or not is another matter as well.

That is called a proposal.

Solutions solve problems.

Dexters
03-17-2012, 08:38
Dexters and Bolster are correct.

The last politician to tell it how it is was Walter Mondale. When he was down in the polls and it was clear that he was not going be elected, he gave a speech in which he said America could not afford all of its promises and needed to establish priorities. You will never have a leader elected at any political level who makes such a statement.

Do you live with your own, personal means? Do you keep up with your meds and exercise? Do you work on obtaining new skills? If so, you are dealing with your reality and what are increasingly bad times for others.

Ranting won't make things better. Even if you are right and a winner in the blame game, you have wasted your own personal resources.

Good advise.
I'd only add that these things don't go straight up or down. And we can forget about them or be lulled into thinking they have gone away - they won't.

cyrsequipment
03-17-2012, 09:17

Huh? :upeyes:

I meant exactly what I said (other than my spelling error). There is a SOLUTION to every problem, but that SOLUTION will not likely come from this forum. There is also no guarantee that the SOLUTION to the problem will ever be implemented.

Dexters
03-17-2012, 09:28
Huh? :upeyes:

I meant exactly what I said (other than my spelling error). There is a SOLUTION to every problem, but that SOLUTION will not likely come from this forum. There is also no guarantee that the SOLUTION to the problem will ever be implemented.

Nothing is solved if nothing is implemented.

This is the context we are discussing the concept of "solution".

racerford
03-17-2012, 09:38

Not exactly true.

You say "I want to kill myself"

I say "Set off a stick of Dynamite in your mouth" and hand you said stick of Dynamite all set and assembled with what you need to detonate it.

You decide you want to hang yourself and do.

The Dynamite solution is still a solution to your problem, the fact that you decide to go another route does not make any less so.

A proposal may or may not be successfully implemented. A proposal that can be successfully implemented within the required perameters (time, cost, resource constraints, etc) is a solution. A problem can have multiple solutions. The ones not selected do not magically cease to be solutions.

Dexters
03-17-2012, 10:12
Not exactly true.

You say "I want to kill myself"

I say "Set off a stick of Dynamite in your mouth" and hand you said stick of Dynamite all set and assembled with what you need to detonate it.

You decide you want to hang yourself and do.

The Dynamite solution is still a solution to your problem, the fact that you decide to go another route does not make any less so.

A proposal may or may not be successfully implemented. A proposal that can be successfully implemented within the required perameters (time, cost, resource constraints, etc) is a solution. A problem can have multiple solutions. The ones not selected do not magically cease to be solutions.

Wrong on two points.
1 - go to my first post for context for this thread or the above post where it is quoted.

2 - Generally, a solution solves a problem. If the proposal does not include the implementation, the problem does not get solved. If, you know or have reason to know that a proposal will not be implemented; it is not a solution. Proposals not selected are not solutions because they were not implemented - they did not solve the problem.

bdcochran
03-17-2012, 12:46
Well, so far I have done my daily stretching exercises while the people in this thread engage in useless rants. This afternoon, I will do the weight lifting at the gym.:wavey:

Bilbo Bagins
03-19-2012, 12:02

In the grand scheme of things, things are better today, then they were in the past.

Whhhhhaaaaattt!!! Yep I said it.

Bad times have come and gone. Over 100 years ago this country was in a Civil War. Just less then 100 years ago there was a World War and we suffered a pandemic that took 20% of the population. Then there was a stock market crash, an economic depression, a Dust bowl , another World War where the debt went above GDP, and threat of nuclear war, some small wars, recessions, gas shortages, a bunch of natural disasters and terrorist attacks, and here we are today.

So folks crap happens, it happens a lot, and it happened in the past, and it will happen in the future. We as humans, and especially as Americans seems to deal with crap, most survive it, and like the fertilizer crap is after time pasts and the sun shines again, we begin to floursh.

So what do I do. I prepare for the worst, so I can ride out any storm. Don't sweat it so much.

Unistat
03-19-2012, 13:45
In the grand scheme of things, things are better today, then they were in the past.

Whhhhhaaaaattt!!! Yep I said it.

Bad times have come and gone. Over 100 years ago this country was in a Civil War. Just less then 100 years ago there was a World War and we suffered a pandemic that took 20% of the population. Then there was a stock market crash, an economic depression, a Dust bowl , another World War where the debt went above GDP, and threat of nuclear war, some small wars, recessions, gas shortages, a bunch of natural disasters and terrorist attacks, and here we are today.

So folks crap happens, it happens a lot, and it happened in the past, and it will happen in the future. We as humans, and especially as Americans seems to deal with crap, most survive it, and like the fertilizer crap is after time pasts and the sun shines again, we begin to floursh.

So what do I do. I prepare for the worst, so I can ride out any storm. Don't sweat it so much.

As a historian, I approve this message.

Deserves to be quoted again.

Dexters
03-19-2012, 15:05

Civil War
World War
pandemic
stock market crash,
an economic depression
, a Dust bowl
, another World War
where the debt went above GDP,
and threat of nuclear war,
some small wars, recessions,
gas shortages
, a bunch of natural disasters
and terrorist attacks,
and here we are today.

So folks crap happens

You quoted me. So I have to ask. Are you agreeing with me or disagreeing with me or something else?

If you are disagreeing with me what part are you disagreeing with?

Glocksanity
03-19-2012, 15:24
Well since we're airing opinions:

One thing that's difficult about predicting the course of the American experiment, is that we've had a string of bad leadership. I think you could argue that the last three presidents have taken the US in unusually bad directions, with this last one being breathtakingly remarkable for making harmful decisions and causing deep (and possibly unrecoverable?) trauma to the body politic. With a decent leader we might be able to start healing, and at least give our kids a shot at a bright future.

But I'd also say those chances are slim. The population that elects the prez is IMO beyond hope. (Possibly biased since I live in LA; might have a different opinion of I live in the heartland.) You'd have to combat the absolutely kooky dysfunctional ideologies of at least a third of the US population, and that would be a real uphill battle. There are a lot of people with bankrupt ideas, working hard at insuring our future is a bad one.

When you have a criminally based monetary system that our Federal Reserve system is, it makes no difference who is President. The President just takes marching orders...simple as that. If he doesn't? He ends up like JFK.

quake
03-19-2012, 15:47
...it makes no difference who is President. The President just takes marching orders...simple as that.
Marching orders from whom? Specifics, please.

Bilbo Bagins
03-19-2012, 17:08
You quoted me. So I have to ask. Are you agreeing with me or disagreeing with me or something else?

If you are disagreeing with me what part are you disagreeing with?

Nope I'm more or less agreeing, especially with your last sentence;

Dexters
03-19-2012, 17:11
Nope I'm more or less agreeing, especially with your last sentence;

Thanks

Dexters
03-20-2012, 09:25
I wrote the below in another thread.

China is raising energy prices (lowering subsidies) - similar to what preceded the Middle East problems. China has more money and options then in the Middle East - not predicting a revolution now - but the issues are the the same.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-03-20/asian-stocks-fall-after-china-raises-fuel-prices-oil-retreats.html

You are on the right path. You should study population growth and you will see that it is out of control. We are at 7B now and going to 10B in 50 years. We hit 1B in 1800

You are talking about a SHTF by too much of a good thing. Read the book 2030 for what the USA will be like if cancer is cured and other old age problems are resolved.

You are seeing the effects of overpopulation in the middle east - young population 26 y/o - the governments can no longer afford to subsidies food and energy, and jobs are scarce. That has led to the political instability. That is the USA's future. We use food stamps now, and other programs give $ to offset energy costs; jobs - look at all the unemployed college grads now.

Also, look towards Japan as a population ages - things tend to stagnate. Europe's population will age faster then the USA because it does not have many immigrants.

The problem with some here is that they can only address one variable at the time. They can only see the population growth as a food issue - just grow more or hope for a technological solution.

So, don't look at the population growth problem as a food problem but economic and political problems that follow.