Biolite's ship yet?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Biolite's ship yet??

emt1581
03-16-2012, 18:16
Have the Biolite camp stoves begun to ship yet? They advertised they'd be out in time for camping and that time is pretty much here...then again that could mean before winter sets in unless you are a die-hard camper....

In any case, anyone have one in their posession yet?

Thanks

-Emt1581

emt1581
03-18-2012, 21:46
Guess not.

-Emt1581

Bolster
03-18-2012, 23:53
Interested, watching and waiting on this one. Thinking I might prefer to just carry a portable solar cell array and one of those small portable wood stoves, but...? We'll see. Generally I prefer separate tools, as opposed to dual-purpose items. But this is tempting, for sure. Are you going to order one?

WolfNotSheep
03-19-2012, 10:51
No, as of today they have not. I'll keep you guys posted, especially you EMT since I know you're probably waking in the night in a cold sweat, plagued by your decision to not pre-order one...

syntaxerrorsix
03-19-2012, 17:49
Way to big for a person on foot.

The YouTube video made the device sound loud with the fan running.

Really neat. Not for me.

emt1581
03-19-2012, 17:53
Way to big for a person on foot.

The YouTube video made the device sound loud with the fan running.

Really neat. Not for me.

Were you looking at the unit being used by what look to be Africans of some sort?? That one looks to be about 2.5' x 1'...that is NOT the unit I'm talking about. This one is the same size as a Nalgene bottle.

-Emt1581

syntaxerrorsix
03-19-2012, 17:59
Were you looking at the unit being used by what look to be Africans of some sort?? That one looks to be about 2.5' x 1'...that is NOT the unit I'm talking about. This one is the same size as a Nalgene bottle.

-Emt1581

It's this one.

BioLite Camp Stove Demonstration - YouTube

Just personal preferences mind you. It's really a neat idea.

emt1581
03-19-2012, 18:13
Oh ok so you had the right one. Which type is smaller WITH the fuel source?

-Emt1581

syntaxerrorsix
03-19-2012, 18:22
Oh ok so you had the right one. Which type is smaller WITH the fuel source?

-Emt1581

Well.. I've used versions of this with good results and it cost $3.29

DIY: How to make a backpacking wood gasifier stove - YouTube

syntaxerrorsix
03-19-2012, 18:25
For a compressed gas fuel source my choice is the MSR Pocket Rocke. It cannot be beat for under 10,000'.

MSR Pocket Rocket backpacking stove review. - YouTube

Bolster
03-20-2012, 00:33
Well.. I've used versions of this with good results and it cost $3.29

Thanks for posting that video. Now I want to make one of these.

Babynine
03-20-2012, 11:32
I just have my Zebra brand stainless 12cm "billy can" for hanging on a branch over a campfire hobo style. I already have a couple alcohol stoves that I could use with it when trying to maintain a lower profile(or cooking indoors). A small wood burning stove could be a nice addition to the kit.

emt1581
05-11-2012, 18:45
Seems like these are STILL not out yet....did the company go under??

-Emt1581

Stevekozak
05-11-2012, 19:13
Thanks for posting that video. Now I want to make one of these.
Ha ha.. I think I will be making one this weekend as well. Supposed to rain. This will make a good little garage project I think.

Protus
05-12-2012, 05:28
I just have my Zebra brand stainless 12cm "billy can" for hanging on a branch over a campfire hobo style. I already have a couple alcohol stoves that I could use with it when trying to maintain a lower profile(or cooking indoors). A small wood burning stove could be a nice addition to the kit.

1/3 a soup can cut and drilled the right way will hold your alky stove ( or soda can stove) and double as small wood stove. Granted its small twigs etc but will cook food. I dont use mine anymore, my canteen cup or SS cup stuck on some coals works for me.

blkpag1
05-14-2012, 08:21
I just got my email from them on last week that said they are starting shipping on June 1. They said to expect delivery from June 1 to June 15.

Bushflyr
05-14-2012, 11:50
All it needs is a built in water purifier. And a big screen tv. I'll stick with the tin can version.

Tending a fire for 4 hours and packing that behemoth around just to charge up my phone seems silly. Sometimes combining functions makes sense, but that thing's like Bianca Beauchamp with a cloaca.

blkpag1
06-05-2012, 12:06
Just got shipping confirmation on these. Should have one to try out Thursday. Hopefully this weekend I can put together a review.

emt1581
06-05-2012, 20:04
Just got shipping confirmation on these. Should have one to try out Thursday. Hopefully this weekend I can put together a review.

Cool, thanks, please keep us posted!!

Thanks

-Emt1581

garyjandfamily
06-05-2012, 22:52
Really? A backpacking stove with a USB port on it?

Thanks for the laugh!! I needed that!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

blkpag1
06-06-2012, 09:03
Really? A backpacking stove with a USB port on it?

Thanks for the laugh!! I needed that!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I do agree that the USB charger is a little over the top and totally un-needed but my interest in this is the efficiency at which this will operate (in theory) and the fact that I will not have to carry fuel with me.

I currently carry a JetBoil with me and fuel for it. I am hoping that the BioLite will heat almost as fast and as efficiently without the need to carry additional fuel canisters.

We will see.

Texas357
06-06-2012, 09:19
So you can use this to recharge flashlights by colllecting kindling?

emt1581
06-06-2012, 20:27
So you can use this to recharge flashlights by colllecting kindling?

I don't know what sort of flashlights you can charge with a USB port....well...I've seen the little USB lights but those are usually just to light up a key board, not for lighting up a trail or a room... :dunno:

But yes, you can get a small amount of electricity with it which, unlike other posters, is why I'm intrigued by it.

Rather than when camping, I'd love to have it for when the power goes out. Instead of having to fire up a generator, just set it up out on the lower patio and charge up my phone, radio, etc. with some twigs/leaves/bark...

-Emt1581

Texas357
06-06-2012, 23:02
iTP R01 USB Rechargeable Flashlight Review - YouTube

Usb rechargable flashlight. I was kidding though.

emt1581
06-07-2012, 04:55
iTP R01 USB Rechargeable Flashlight Review - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojzpqPhpmdM&feature=youtube_gdata_player)

Usb rechargable flashlight. I was kidding though.

Thanks for the video. That's pretty cool. I'd like to see the longevity of that "sealed' unit though. Since you can't access it, it better have one hell of a long battery life. Otherwise it's not much good to throw into the prep. pile and forget about for 5, 10, 20+ years....

-Emt1581

Texas357
06-07-2012, 07:39
I was a fan of itp flashlights, but they got rolled into Olight (sister company) and some models kept. This is just one example. I was making a joke, building a fire to make electricity inefficiently to make light.

According to biolite site, this puts out up to 2 watts.

iPhone charger wants >1 amp, at 5 volts (that is 5+ watts). This might charge a modern phone, bit it'll be slow.

emt1581
06-07-2012, 17:04
I was a fan of itp flashlights, but they got rolled into Olight (sister company) and some models kept. This is just one example. I was making a joke, building a fire to make electricity inefficiently to make light.

iPhone charger wants >1 amp, at 5 volts (that is 5+ watts). This might charge a modern phone, bit it'll be slow.

Yeah I see you were kidding. Still...electricity from twigs in a simple package is something I find interesting.

Thanks again

-Emt1581

Bolster
06-07-2012, 20:33

Well, the GoalZero Guide 10 4-cell power pack was around 10 Wh of power that output 5v at .5A, and it couldn't power an iPhone. So they came out with the Guide 10 Plus that could do 5v at 1A, and it will charge an iPhone.

Does BioLite address the issue of what it will actually charge? They show it charging an iphone. Oh here it is: they claim will recharge cell phones, smartphones, mp3 players, led flashlights, rechargeable batteries. But not specifics.

DL'd the specifications, says "Fire Power Output" at 5.5 kW...what's that? They talking about the actual fire?

Then the USB power output is 2W continuous @ 5v, so that would mean .4 amp, right? So compared to GoalZero's experience...who upped from .5A to 1.0A to charge an iPhone...that would imply...that an iPhone probably wouldn't charge. Blackberry would.

How about charging Eneloops. You can buy a 2-bay USB eneloop charger that outputs 1 watt, which would charge 2 AA cells in about 4.5 hours. That's a sorta long time to run your BioLite but it's doable.

Compare that to the GoalZero 7watt solar panel, which charges 4 AA eneloops in 3 hours. BUT! It can't do it at night!! And you can't roast a weenie on it!

blkpag1
06-08-2012, 21:00
The BioLite arrived today and I got to play with it a little.
http://flic.kr/p/ccM9JU
and
http://flic.kr/p/bVpUnn

It burns through quite a bit of small sticks very quickly and it does put out a good amount of heat. I boiled about 2 cups of water with it and it only took about 3 minutes (I had to add more sticks during this because it was burning through them very fast).

It did charge my iphone while I was using it and here is how that appears to work. First, when you plug in the charging cable you can hear the fan slow a little with the additional load on the battery. Second when charging the phone, the phone says charging but the only time the battery level increases is when the stove is full of wood and burning at full tilt. If the stove is burning at full tilt and has full fuel then it appears to charge the iphone very quickly (about 1% every minute or so).

The unit seems well made and designed. The stove has a nice heat shield around it and it works (I moved the stove while it was burning and it was barely warm). The legs fold and feel very stable. The battery pack/fan unit mounts securely to the side and fits in the stove for packing nicely.

This weekend I will do some real testing and compare it to my JetBoil for some real comparison numbers. So far this seems to be a decent stove. Let me know if anyone has any specific tests that you want me to run.

emt1581
06-08-2012, 21:19
The BioLite arrived today and I got to play with it a little.
http://flic.kr/p/ccM9JU
and
http://flic.kr/p/bVpUnn

It burns through quite a bit of small sticks very quickly and it does put out a good amount of heat. I boiled about 2 cups of water with it and it only took about 3 minutes (I had to add more sticks during this because it was burning through them very fast).

It did charge my iphone while I was using it and here is how that appears to work. First, when you plug in the charging cable you can hear the fan slow a little with the additional load on the battery. Second when charging the phone, the phone says charging but the only time the battery level increases is when the stove is full of wood and burning at full tilt. If the stove is burning at full tilt and has full fuel then it appears to charge the iphone very quickly (about 1% every minute or so).

The unit seems well made and designed. The stove has a nice heat shield around it and it works (I moved the stove while it was burning and it was barely warm). The legs fold and feel very stable. The battery pack/fan unit mounts securely to the side and fits in the stove for packing nicely.

This weekend I will do some real testing and compare it to my JetBoil for some real comparison numbers. So far this seems to be a decent stove. Let me know if anyone has any specific tests that you want me to run.

T H A N K Y O U!!! :yourock::bowdown:

BTW, I couldn't get the pics to show up...

I'm wondering, once you get it going, can you drop thicker pieces on for longer burn time?

Thanks

-Emt1581

emt1581
06-08-2012, 21:33
Well this didn't take long...TONS of videos up already...at the end of this one you can see them all...

BioLite Camp Stove making pancakes, USB LED light demo - YouTube

This will probably be added to the pile o' preps within the month for me.

-Emt1581

Bolster
06-08-2012, 23:14
If the stove is burning at full tilt and has full fuel then it appears to charge the iphone very quickly (about 1% every minute or so).

The issue I've heard of on the GoalZero .5 amp, is that it won't finish a charge. So I'm curious, does the BioLite finish off an iPhone charge? Or charge it up to at least as high as 90 or 95%? Thanks.

blkpag1
06-09-2012, 14:22
The issue I've heard of on the GoalZero .5 amp, is that it won't finish a charge. So I'm curious, does the BioLite finish off an iPhone charge? Or charge it up to at least as high as 90 or 95%? Thanks.

I believe that it will per the specs shipped with the unit says that it will output 4w at 5vdc for peak. Which after seeing it work, I expect that you should be able to fully charge it as long as you get it cranked up at the last part of the charge. I will run my phone down and use the BioLite to re-charge it later and verify that it works as I expect.

blkpag1
06-09-2012, 14:25
T H A N K Y O U!!! :yourock::bowdown:

BTW, I couldn't get the pics to show up...

I'm wondering, once you get it going, can you drop thicker pieces on for longer burn time?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Yes you can use bigger pieces. I was throwing in sticks that were about 1 inch in diameter and it was burning through it very fast with the fan on high. I could slow it down and put the fan on low (it has a two speed fan) but I was just seeing how fast it would boil the water I had in a small pot.

It has been so long since I have posted pics that I have forgotten how and apologize for that.

blkpag1
06-09-2012, 18:09
Here are the results of some testing.

Time to boil 2 cups of water:
Jetboil 2 minutes 10 seconds to rolling boil
BioLite 3 minutes to rolling boil (this does not include the minute plus or so to start the stove, the Jetboil starts instantly)

I charged my iphone from 90% to 100%... so this proves that it will charge phones fully (this did take a while).

My conclusion for now would be while I don't know if I would use it over my Jetboil in my ghb, I will say that I will be adding it to my hunting gear so that I can have a stove with me in case I get stuck and need it and don't have to carry any fuel.

I will continue to use this to see how it holds up (especially the battery and fan).

Bolster
06-09-2012, 20:47
Well that clears up my concerns, thanks!!

I'm curious, you say it has a battery?...does it get warm from the heat of the fire?

blkpag1
06-10-2012, 13:07
Well that clears up my concerns, thanks!!

I'm curious, you say it has a battery?...does it get warm from the heat of the fire?

The whole unit stays pretty cool even when burning. I can pick the unit up by wrapping my hands around it while it is burning and it is only slightly warm. The power pack (that holds the battery and the fan) could get a little warm on top if the wind shifts and you do not keep the power pack up wind so that the flame blows away from it, but that would be the only way that it would get warm. The power pack also has some heat shield around the thermal probe to help keep it from getting warm there.

emt1581
06-10-2012, 14:20
The whole unit stays pretty cool even when burning. I can pick the unit up by wrapping my hands around it while it is burning and it is only slightly warm. The power pack (that holds the battery and the fan) could get a little warm on top if the wind shifts and you do not keep the power pack up wind so that the flame blows away from it, but that would be the only way that it would get warm. The power pack also has some heat shield around the thermal probe to help keep it from getting warm there.

I'm not sure if the technology used in this thing is super secret or if it's a well-known principle/setup. However, I'm wondering what the capabilities of such a device would be if done to scale for a 50 gal. burn barrel??

I'd imagine we'd be talking some decent power. Just a guess though. Again, I know very little about the technology used. And I guess if we are upping the size that much and doing it outside, a gassifier would be more efficient... :dunno:

And as far as the unit over heating, the one guy in the vids used what looked like foil at the top to make a little flap and prevent the flames from blowing over and directly on to the plastic/unit.

-Emt1581

syntaxerrorsix
06-10-2012, 14:33
I'm not sure if the technology used in this thing is super secret or if it's a well-known principle/setup. However, I'm wondering what the capabilities of such a device would be if done to scale for a 50 gal. burn barrel??

I'd imagine we'd be talking some decent power. Just a guess though. Again, I know very little about the technology used. And I guess if we are upping the size that much and doing it outside, a gassifier would be more efficient... :dunno:

And as far as the unit over heating, the one guy in the vids used what looked like foil at the top to make a little flap and prevent the flames from blowing over and directly on to the plastic/unit.

-Emt1581

I imagine the fire generates a draw that is pulled through the fan connected to a motor to produce electricity.

02LimitedX
06-10-2012, 15:50

-Emt1581

Not having looked at the guts of one, I'd guess it's got a thermopile (a bunch of thermocouples). When heated they produce a very small voltage.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

syntaxerrorsix
06-10-2012, 15:54
http://biolitestove.com/Media/HomeStove/Technologies/homestove-technology2.jpg

blkpag1
06-10-2012, 17:24

-Emt1581
They actually make a larger stove version for third world countries that still rely on wood for cooking (for more green cooking). The larger stove is the original that the smaller appears to be designed on. They said that they have no plans at this time to sell the larger stoves in the U.S. If you go to the website I think that it has more info on the larger stoves (I'm not sure about power output on those however).

emt1581
06-10-2012, 20:36
They actually make a larger stove version for third world countries that still rely on wood for cooking (for more green cooking). The larger stove is the original that the smaller appears to be designed on. They said that they have no plans at this time to sell the larger stoves in the U.S. If you go to the website I think that it has more info on the larger stoves (I'm not sure about power output on those however).

I've seen the larger stoves. I'm not sure if that's a moral thing or a business/financial thing....not selling the larger ones in the US. But that's still not on the level of a 50 gal. burn drum. Cool...but not 50 gal. cool.

Still I'd love to have the larger model.

-Emt1581

Bolster
06-10-2012, 20:46

More power! Oooh oooh aaaah aaaah.

blkpag1
06-11-2012, 08:36
I've seen the larger stoves. I'm not sure if that's a moral thing or a business/financial thing....not selling the larger ones in the US. But that's still not on the level of a 50 gal. burn drum. Cool...but not 50 gal. cool.

-Emt1581

Hmmm.... Two burn drums, the inner would have to have holes drilled for air circulation, a fan on the outside drum blowing in between drums forcing air out the inside drum holes, and a bunch of thermoelectric generators attached to the inside drum.... that might work, although I don't know what kind of power it would have to produce in order to run a fan capable of circulating enough air.

I'm sure there would probably be more issues that would arise with just making the design larger, but, it might be worth looking into. Just glancing through google, and I came across tegpower and it appears that they can supply thermoelectric generators and suggest installing them on a wood furnace (power created while heating your home).

blkpag1
06-11-2012, 08:38
Also, the flame and heat coming off a larger version (if the flame scaled up also) would be like a jet engine.... mmmmm..... That would be cool!