Desalinization? Anyone? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Desalinization? Anyone?

Aceman
03-16-2012, 20:00
How does one do this quickly/efficiently in volume?

Boil off the water, collect, and leave the salt behind is one way...but what are others?

racerford
03-16-2012, 21:53
Reverse Osmosis

Bolster
03-16-2012, 21:55
Interested in this topic...living in So Cal where there's lots of sea water and very little fresh water.

I built a small solar still to do small scale desal. At least, the sun does the work for me.

Solar stills are scalable, you can make as many as you need. They get as large as a meter squared in size or more. The mid east is big into this technology for obvious reasons.

humanguerrilla
03-17-2012, 13:06
Mechanically...

If you have a boat and it is going to see lots of use there are some big desalinating watermakers.

There are smaller kits like the Katadyn and the surplus desalinators that are making rounds

http://www.katadyn.com/usen/katadyn-products/products/katadynshopconnect/katadyn-desalinators/

M1A Shooter
03-17-2012, 13:36
i too am very interested in this as i have family in florida and this would be very good for them. started looking into it when i lived down there but it was always beyond my budget.

Kieller
03-19-2012, 11:14
How does one do this quickly/efficiently in volume?

Boil off the water, collect, and leave the salt behind is one way...but what are others?

Quickly and effeciently are not words associated with desalinization. It is typically energy/work intensive and the going can be slow.

RO (reverse osmosis) requires some decent presure and depending on your source water, can really clog up the filters.

Solar stills are time intensive and as Bolster found out require a lot of tweaks to get it working at all. Even when a suitable system is in place large quantities of potable water are not easily attained.

If you have a ready fuel source I would suggest the boiling method. This is both time and energy intensive but it is definitely the most simple of the solutions.

The reason there are not more desalinization plants is that they are so expensive and output very little water compared to more standard treatment plants.