Need basic info on using a Mil/Mil rifle scope. New to me! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need basic info on using a Mil/Mil rifle scope. New to me!

WarEagle32
03-16-2012, 23:08
I have just bought a Mil/Mil Weaver Grand slam tactical 3x10x40 scope that I installed on my DPMS 308B. I am a total newbie all around when it comes to a Mil/Mil scope from zeroing to shooting long with it. I have put a 20 moa base on it and nice rings, so the setup is there. I just need functional info. Thanks for any help because I need it!

WoodenPlank
03-16-2012, 23:37
I have just bought a Mil/Mil Weaver Grand slam tactical 3x10x40 scope that I installed on my DPMS 308B. I am a total newbie all around when it comes to a Mil/Mil scope from zeroing to shooting long with it. I have put a 20 moa base on it and nice rings, so the setup is there. I just need functional info. Thanks for any help because I need it!

One Mil = 3.438 MOA. Since your dots and your adjustments are in the same measurement, it should be pretty easy from there.

This link (http://www.mil-dot.com/media/1027/the_derivation_of_the_range_estimation_equations.pdf) might provide you some extra info, too.

WarEagle32
03-17-2012, 00:08
Thanks

D3S3RT_P3NGU1N
03-17-2012, 00:11
Can you provide a link to the exact optic you bought? I wasn't aware Weaver offered a 3-10x40mm mil/mil scope.

1 mil = 1/1000th of the distance you're shooting

I've posted this before but this may be useful to you. As I'm not familiar with the exact optic you have, I don't know if its FFP or SFP. If its SFP, for these to work your scope must be at the correct magnification setting for the reticle to be fully usable (this is usually the highest)

Say you're shooting your rifle at a target at an unknown distance using a mil/mil scope. You fire your first shot and you see through your reticle that your first shot was about 1.2 mils low and .5 mils left according to the markings on your reticle. Now because your turret matches your reticle, just dial in 12 clicks elevation and 5 windage (0.1 mils per click) and you're right on.

If you know the size of your target, you can use your reticle to very quickly and accurately calculate the range of your target before you take a shot. Say you know your target is 36" tall. On your reticle you see that it takes up 2.5 mils. Knowing that 1 mil equals 1/1000th of the distance you're shooting, you can work out the range with simple calculations. Since 36" = 1 yard, and you know that at 1000 yards a 1 yard tall target will take up 1 mil, you can go ahead and divide 1000 by 2.5 which gives you 400 yards.

If you're shooting at say 600 yards and you didn't see the impact but your buddy tells your shot was off by about 9 inches and you want to correct this. In your head you know that a mil is 1/1000th of 600 yards, or .6 of a yard. Knowing a yard is 36 inches, you work out that .6 of a yard is 21.6 inches (I do this by dividing 36 in half to get .5 of a mil or 18 inches, then adding on 3.6 inches for the extra .1 of a mil to make .6, but you can get here lots of ways). Dividing 21.6 by 10 gives you 2.16 inches, which is what each of your .1 mil clicks will equal at this distance. You proceed to dial in .4 mils to bring you to within .4 of an inch of the correction, which is well within the shooter and spotter margin of error.

Do you have any specific questions?

WarEagle32
03-17-2012, 10:16
Penguin that was very helpful. The scope is available exclusively through MidwayUSA. It is called the Tactical Grand Slam part #800480. It is a 3x10x40 and has excellent reviews. It's normally 399 but this month it is on sale for 299!

arclight610
03-17-2012, 11:14
Can you provide a link to the exact optic you bought? I wasn't aware Weaver offered a 3-10x40mm mil/mil scope.

I've posted this before but this may be useful to you. As I'm not familiar with the exact optic you have, I don't know if its FFP or SFP. If its SFP, for these to work your scope must be at the correct magnification setting for the reticle to be fully usable (this is usually the highest)

Say you're shooting your rifle at a target at an unknown distance using a mil/mil scope. You fire your first shot and you see through your reticle that your first shot was about 1.2 mils low and .5 mils left according to the markings on your reticle. Now because your turret matches your reticle, just dial in 12 clicks elevation and 5 windage (0.1 mils per click) and you're right on.

If you know the size of your target, you can use your reticle to very quickly and accurately calculate the range of your target before you take a shot. Say you know your target is 36" tall. On your reticle you see that it takes up 2.5 mils. Knowing that 1 mil equals 1/1000th of the distance you're shooting, you can work out the range with simple calculations. Since 36" = 1 yard, and you know that at 1000 yards a 1 yard tall target will take up 1 mil, you can go ahead and divide 1000 by 2.5 which gives you 400 yards.

If you're shooting at say 600 yards and you didn't see the impact but your buddy tells your shot was off by about 9 inches and you want to correct this. In your head you know that a mil is 1/1000th of 600 yards, or .6 of a yard. Knowing a yard is 36 inches, you work out that .6 of a yard is 21.6 inches (I do this by dividing 36 in half to get .5 of a mil or 18 inches, then adding on 3.6 inches for the extra .1 of a mil to make .6, but you can get here lots of ways). Dividing 21.6 by 10 gives you 2.16 inches, which is what each of your .1 mil clicks will equal at this distance. You proceed to dial in .4 mils to bring you to within .4 of an inch of the correction, which is well within the shooter and spotter margin of error.

A quality response indeed.

Sgt_Gold
03-17-2012, 15:57
Check out the Mil Dot Master.

http://www.mildot.com/index.htm

Javelin
03-17-2012, 16:04

Nice write up. Learned something today.

:wavey:

D3S3RT_P3NGU1N
03-19-2012, 10:03
Penguin that was very helpful. The scope is available exclusively through MidwayUSA. It is called the Tactical Grand Slam part #800480. It is a 3x10x40 and has excellent reviews. It's normally 399 but this month it is on sale for 299!

Looks like a nice scope for the $$$ :thumbsup:

Its an SFP scope so remember that the calculations I mentioned earlier will only be accurate at one power setting rather than throughout the whole magnification range.

A quality response indeed.

Nice write up. Learned something today.

:wavey:

Thanks guys :wavey:

Batesmotel
03-19-2012, 16:29
Check out the Mil Dot Master.

http://www.mildot.com/index.htm

This. I love it.