Made an Impulse Buy [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Made an Impulse Buy

MinnesnowtaWild
03-17-2012, 00:20
So I sold my SR9c today since I no longer have a use for it (my Glock 26 is my EDC now and does everything and more). It was a sweet gun, just do not need it anymore.

No more than an hour after I sell it, I bought a FNP-40 from a guy locally that had an ad up. I know absolutely NOTHING about these guns, and I don't even really care much for .40s&w but I thought what the heck...might as well. It seemed like a good deal to me and it's something different and new so I gave it a shot. I was going to get a Glock 23, but the local Glock dealer who sells blue labels has been out of them forever.

So, my question is...did I come out okay in this deal? Is this a quality pistol that will hold some value in case I decide I hate it? Anyone own one of these?

I paid $430 for it. It is a new FNP-40 with 5 magazines (3-10 round and 2-14 round), plus 100 rounds of 155g Lawman and 100 rounds of WWB 165g FMJ. Is this a decent deal?

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w37/94coupeV6/P1010466.jpg

Thanks!

WoodenPlank
03-17-2012, 00:59
If you paid $430, ammo included, I'd say you made out like a bandit. Buds and Impact Guns are both out of stock (I think this series is being discontinued), but both list the most recent price as $450.

gumbee
03-17-2012, 01:26
Yes, you did good. Resale value, don't know. I put just 45rds through mine and knew I had made a mistake. It's a great gun but the 12lb DA pull was too much for me, SA was fine though. I bought a 23 with what I got out of the FNP.

MinnesnowtaWild
03-17-2012, 02:10
Gumbee...how does the gun feel besides the DA pull? I don't really mind it, considering it does not have a manual safety. But then again I haven't shot it yet.

I have a feeling I might end up selling it for $430 (the price after tax for Gen4 Glocks with blue label) and getting a G23 Gen4. Not positive, but I might do that. I'm hoping I can put a couple hundred rounds through it, and if I decide it's not for me that I could at least get $430 for it but that may be wishful thinking. Maybe I will love this gun and keep it. Who knows.

Edit: That is, if my local Glock dealer EVER gets G19/G23's in stock. They have been out of the compact and subcompact 9/40's for a long time. Quite frustrating.

bac1023
03-17-2012, 04:29
Very nice

Congrats! :cool:

gumbee
03-17-2012, 12:08
Gumbee...how does the gun feel besides the DA pull? I don't really mind it, considering it does not have a manual safety. But then again I haven't shot it yet.

I have a feeling I might end up selling it for $430 (the price after tax for Gen4 Glocks with blue label) and getting a G23 Gen4. Not positive, but I might do that. I'm hoping I can put a couple hundred rounds through it, and if I decide it's not for me that I could at least get $430 for it but that may be wishful thinking. Maybe I will love this gun and keep it. Who knows.

Edit: That is, if my local Glock dealer EVER gets G19/G23's in stock. They have been out of the compact and subcompact 9/40's for a long time. Quite frustrating.
Other than the DA pull, its a great gun. It's accurate and the recoil for a .40 is mild. I'm used to light triggers so, 12lb is heavy for me. Try it, you may like it!

TN.Frank
03-17-2012, 12:30
Sounds like you got a pretty good deal to me. FN makes some pretty decent guns IMHO. Congrats.

HKLovingIT
03-17-2012, 13:05
Seems like a good deal money-wise and they make good stuff. Only thing will be to see if you like the DA/SA. If you wanted something different for recreational shooting this certainly fits the bill and is a quality item.

Javelin
03-17-2012, 13:15
Good looking pistol.

TSAX
03-17-2012, 13:18
Good deal, enjoy the gun I think you'll like it

:50cal:

MinnesnowtaWild
03-18-2012, 00:26
I cannot wait to shoot it. I will report back when I do with my first impressions. The more I read about these, the more excited I am and and convinced that I may have actually made a decent impulse decision.

Folsom_Prison
03-18-2012, 00:35
I'd say you did pretty good!

DAIadvisor
03-18-2012, 07:34
We have them for 411 out the door here. I already bought one, probably will buy another one.

M2 Carbine
03-18-2012, 07:51
I have the FNP in 9mm. Got it back in December on sale at Cheaper Than Dirt for $369, with 5 magazines.
The gun is kind of FN's inexpensive model but a decent gun.

With the extras I think you did OK on the price.:)

MinnesnowtaWild
03-18-2012, 14:21
Is $30 a good price for three more 14 round magazines?

Dubble-Tapper
03-18-2012, 17:38
i like those guns, i got to fondle one the other day in the LGS, almost thought about picking it up. Im waiting for a P226 to come along though, ive wanted one for too long.

MinnesnowtaWild
03-18-2012, 19:11
I really liked and wanted a Sig SP2022 or a CZ75 P-07 Duty but both of them are a little too much money for me to get right now. This FNH seems very similar to the SP2022 so I am pretty happy. I think I like the decocker on the Sig better but I do really like the FNH.

I figure if I hate this thing, I can sell it used and maybe even get my money back.

Glock40man
03-18-2012, 20:04
Congrats!

M2 Carbine
03-18-2012, 21:11
Is $30 a good price for three more 14 round magazines?
You mean $10 each?
You bet, I like a lot of magazines. I'd pay that.

I don't remember for sure but I priced the mags when I bought my FN and I think they were at least $28 each.

glock2740
03-18-2012, 21:46
Congrats!

MinnesnowtaWild
03-18-2012, 22:40
You mean $10 each?
You bet, I like a lot of magazines. I'd pay that.

I don't remember for sure but I priced the mags when I bought my FN and I think they were at least $28 each.

Yeah, $30 total. I think it's a fair price for sure so I will probably have to meet up with the seller again.

MinnesnowtaWild
03-27-2012, 00:18
Here is something I wrote up on the FN Forums...

Background

So a little over a week ago I sold my Ruger SR9c for $375. It was an excellent gun and ran flawlessly, but being a poor college student and LEO cadet I need my limited amount of weapons to have a strict, separate purpose. Since I have a Glock 26 Gen4, I no longer needed a compact 9mm pistol for the strict use of my every day carry weapon. So, I was on armslist and I saw a listing for a never fired FNP-40 for sale for $430 which included three 10 round mags and two 14 round mags as well as 100 rounds of Lawman 155g and 100 rounds of WWB 165g. I will admit it now, I made a TOTAL impulse buy! I knew absolutely nothing about FNP's and really had no good reason to justify getting it. It didn't really seem to serve a purpose for me (range/target gun, CCW, etc), but I will touch on that more later.

I picked it up from the guy no more than 30 minutes after I had the cash in hand from the SR9c sale. Initial impressions were that this is a really cool gun and it seems like it is well worth the money. Very well built pistol and I love the big, thick metal rails and the metal guide rod. I am new to anything other than striker fired pistols, so the SA/DA and decocker were new but I really like it so far. I don't like manual safeties and I am plenty happy with having the trigger pull in DA and a holster as my "safety". Here is the gun and what it came with:

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w37/94coupeV6/P1010466.jpg

Shooting impressions

I finally got this gun out for the first time over the weekend. I figured I would use the Speer Lawman 155g first to break it in a little, since I am assuming it is a hotter load than WWB. Very first impressions were that the recoil is very, very manageable. I swear if people gauged everything but stuff they read on the internet, nobody would buy .40s&w guns because they would think the bones in their hands will explode when they shoot it. The recoil was soft, and it is more enjoyable to shoot then my Glock 26. I had no malfunctions but I only fired 50 rounds total. I did have a couple of brass to face instances, but I am used to it from my Glock http://fnforum.net/forums/images/smilies/icon_question.gif. The lady friends however did not enjoy it as much, but I attribute that mostly to improper grips (cup and saucer). There gun did fail to lock back on the last round, but I am thinking it was probably the user error of my girlfriend rather than the gun itself.

The trigger is phenomenal on this gun. The DA pulls is a little tough, but certainly not bad and I would much rather have it than a manual safety lever. The SA pull is a dream, and quick follow up shots are very easy.

Accuracy was not something I could easily gauge because we were shooting at a tree stump with crooked targets stapled to it, but I was not as much concerned about that yesterday. More of getting used to the gun and breaking it in.

I am not a huge fan of the magazines, but I will adapt. I just wish they were blued. They also have a nasty rattle, but my Glock mags do that sometimes too. The mags are easy to load though.

I noticed that the top of the barrel hood and the outside of the barrel itself quickly became beat up and scratched, which I know is just normal wear. I just wish it would take more rounds for this to happen like on my Glock.

All in all, I think I am going to keep this gun...at least for a while. I am trying to find the purpose for it, because it will not be a target gun since .40 S&W is getting expensive around here. I think it will be my go-to gun for when I go fishing and hiking. We do a lot of nighttime catfishing on remote stretches or river in the summer, and I feel more comfortable with .40 S&W than my 9mm. It would also probably fair SLIGHTLY better (but not ideal) when we go up north against Wolves and Black Bears. The other function of the pistol is as a primary home defense weapon, since I do not own a shotgun or centerfire rifle. It may be better than using my Glock 26 for home invasions. The only issue is trying to find a holster for it that I can afford. I am leaning towards the Blackhawk Serpa for the Sig SP2022, but not sure yet. Would also like to get an IWB for winter carry, because the .40 S&W gives me more confidence in Minnesota winters when everyone is heavily dressed. I just went to the local police supply and got a box of 50 Federal HST 165g rounds for when I carry it or use it for home defense. I use the 147g HST 9mm in my Glock 26 and the results from all the HST rounds is outstanding so I feel like I have one of the best, if not the best, rounds for defense.

Here is a video of my very first shots with the FNP-40:

FNH FNP-40 - First Shots - YouTube