.380 Madness [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : .380 Madness

3rdgen40
03-17-2012, 04:14
What is making .380's so popular for CCW? Every time I go to my LGS, someone is buying a Sig 238.The shop owner says it's his best selling handgun.Buds rates the LCP as their top selling pistol.Ammo is more expensive than 9mm.
So, what is it that makes the .380 so popular ? Is just the size factor ? I have to admit, I have a craving for a Sig 238 myself.I just don't know why? LOL .......:dunno:

bac1023
03-17-2012, 04:20
Small and light

That's about it, really.

3rdgen40
03-17-2012, 04:24
J frame .38's are small and light.So are some 9mm's.Yet the .380 seems to be blowing them away in popularity.

bac1023
03-17-2012, 04:28
J frame .38's are small and light.So are some 9mm's.Yet the .380 seems to be blowing them away in popularity.

The revolvers are considerably wider. The 9mms are larger and heavier. The very few 9mms that are smilar in size and weight generally cost a great deal more. If you want options in a very small and very light pistol, the 380 is really the only choice.

Having said all that, I'm not much of a mousegun fan. However, I do own a KelTec P3AT that I carry while jogging, etc.

3rdgen40
03-17-2012, 04:51
What do you think about the Sig 238 bac ?

bac1023
03-17-2012, 05:03
What do you think about the Sig 238 bac ?

I'm not much of a fan of it. Quality seems decent enough, but Sig has really turned me off with all their goofy marketing schemes these days. I don't buy American made Sigs at all.

The 1911 is the only exception.

eracer
03-17-2012, 05:18
.380's have replaced the Derringer as the quintessential pocket pistol. I myself carry a Kahr PM45, because I don't trust the .380 to stop an attacker any more than I trust a .22LR. I know that theoretically, either of those two rounds can get the job done, and I know that there are much better bullets available now than there were back in 1986 when I bought a PPK (and sold it when I came to realize my G17 was far superior.)

The other factor is that women are looking for a low-recoil platform, and they've been talked out of the .22 and .25 calibers (and rightly so...)

For me, 9mm is as low as I'll go, but only if the gun carries more than 6 rounds. For my preferred method of pocket carry, it's .357, .40, or .45 for me.

mhmills
03-17-2012, 05:29
Many of the people with a ccw license are not "gun people". They feel that carrying anything bigger than a lcp sized gun is too difficult or inconvenient.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

ak103k
03-17-2012, 06:01
.380's have replaced the Derringer as the quintessential pocket pistol.
I agree, and will actually take it one step further, and say for many, they have replaced the "main" gun as well.

Seems these days, all people do is cry about how hard it is to carry and conceal anything bigger than an LCP or P32. Kind of makes you wonder when youve carried a full size gun daily for most of your life, as well as a back up (or two), and a double reload.

I guess its just a matter of what youre used to, and what youre willing to do, to get it done. I get the feeling that for many, their gun is just another fashion accessory, or symbol of status, and not something they consider "serious".

Wetrudgeon
03-17-2012, 06:08
For our purposes, we think the small .380 pistols have a place. There are times in hot climates when pocket carry is clearly indicated. We tried a tiny 9mm for a while, and found the recoil so violent that it affected reliability (for us, at least). We grant the .380 is inadequate for hunting grizz, but for defensive use (with some of the modern ordnance available) we consider it adequate.

As for the P238, we own one and like it so far.

We trudge on.

TheHunter
03-17-2012, 06:45
The Sig P238 is a great little pistol. My wife got one recently.

Different applications require different tools. A .380 would not be MY personal choice but my wife is not intimidated by it and shoots it well enough. I'd rather her have something she is comfortable and hit the target with than shoot something she's ineffective with.

Andrewsky
03-17-2012, 07:27
I know that theoretically, either of those two rounds can get the job done, and I know that there are much better bullets available now than there were back in 1986 when I bought a PPK (and sold it when I came to realize my G17 was far superior.)

A G17 is much, much larger than a PPK! There is no comparison between the two.

People just draw arbitrary lines between calibers. I am not sure why the limit is set just above .380. Why not just draw your arbitrary lines at 10mm and just carry a G20 everywhere?

CDR_Glock
03-17-2012, 07:39
I've carried for a while, now. I carry many different calibers from 380 to 45 ACP.

The advantages of a 380 is size, ease of shooting, and ease of a faster reload with a magazine in a pocket carry. I have carried and still do carry a LCR, but it depends upon where I am going and what I am wearing. My main carry is a G23/27. Winter carry is a 30/36. At the private gun club, it's a 45 or 357, in addition to what I'm shooting. Sometimes I'm the only one out there. If I were loading a gun and some threat approached, I have something to use. In the indoor range, I carry in addition to what I am shooting. It could be a backup gun like a revolver or a P238 or G27.

To me, it's another tool in the spectrum of carrying concealed firearms. I used to dress around my gun solely but there are times when I wear what I need to wear and the gun has to "fit in".

There are three types of ways for people to carry:
Off person : caliber and size may not have to matter (briefcase, purse, fanny pack, concealed carry jacket, whatever)
On person: Dress around the gun
On Person: Get a gun that suits what you're wearing.

I always carry on person: in the pocket, IWB or pancake.

That's just how I do it. My buddy believes in one carry weapon, one holster. That's what makes each of us different.

Sorry for the ramble but that is why I have a 380. It's not my only gun. It is the rationale for why I carry it.

2-8 Marine
03-17-2012, 07:43
Many of the people with a ccw license feel that carrying anything bigger than a lcp sized gun is too difficult or inconvenient.

I fixed it for you. I believe your statement to be true but being or not being a gun person dosen't have much if anything to do with the decision. I've been armed since I joined the USMC when I was 18 years old. I was also a military and civilian Police Officer for 35+ years. I'm 65 years old and still carry. Believe me, I'm a gun person. I recently purchased a p238 and find it very reliable and feel comfortable that it can handle any difficulty I might get involved in. I'm not gonna' be out there looking for situations to get into. Personal protection means just that . . . protecting me and mine. :wavey:

ak103k
03-17-2012, 07:56
A G17 is much, much larger than a PPK!
Two "much's" is really one to many. :)

I carry a 17 every day, and I have carried a PPK in the past as back up to my 1911. For me, the PPK really wasnt a pocket pistol, as it was to big for my pockets, so I either carried it in an ankle holster or a small shoulder holster.

When I got tired of dealing with the newer PPK's not working, I switched to the SIG 230, which is similar in size, and carried it in the same places. These days, the P230's have been replaced with a Glock 26, and it too rides in the same place as the PPK and P230.

If youre of a mind to do it, and willing to adjust your dress around the gun, you can pretty much carry anything without any problems.

mhmills
03-17-2012, 08:02
I fixed it for you. I believe your statement to be true but being or not being a gun person dosen't have much if anything to do with the decision. I've been armed since I joined the USMC when I was 18 years old. I was also a military and civilian Police Officer for 35+ years. I'm 65 years old and still carry. Believe me, I'm a gun person. I recently purchased a p238 and find it very reliable and feel comfortable that it can handle any difficulty I might get involved in. I'm not gonna' be out there looking for situations to get into. Personal protection means just that . . . protecting me and mine. :wavey:

That's why I said many not all.

Z71bill
03-17-2012, 08:27
Why a .380? :whistling:

If you do have to shoot someone - and you use a .380 it limits your legal liability. :upeyes:

Makes it easy to accept your statement - I didn't want to hurt anyone! :tongueout:

BTW - I CC a Kel-Tec P-3AT sometimes - and would always want a really small gun that I can conceal 100%.

Wishoot
03-17-2012, 09:22
I may be "Stepping Down" to a .380 soon. Although I have a LC9 and an LCR for EDC, I find that there are times when they are too difficult to conceal. I'm often wearing a suit for work and the IWB or pocket carry bulge is just too obvious IMO. It'd be nice to just toss an LCP in my pocket without having to worry about the bump's and bulges that always seem to show.

cjkranz
03-17-2012, 09:42
I also carry anything from a .380 to a .45 for the same reasons as stated above.. My regular carry is a G27 or G19 but during the summer a pocket pistol is great. As for .380 pistols I highly recommend the P238. I have owned (and sold) a LCP, Kahr P380 and the standard P238. I currently have a P238 HD and it feels as if the recoil has been cut in half from my all aluminum P238. This makes it enjoyable to shoot and it is very accurate. My 7 and 10 year olds even enjoy shooting it.

Wishoot
03-17-2012, 11:12
I also carry anything from a .380 to a .45 for the same reasons as stated above.. My regular carry is a G27 or G19 but during the summer a pocket pistol is great. As for .380 pistols I highly recommend the P238. I have owned (and sold) a LCP, Kahr P380 and the standard P238. I currently have a P238 HD and it feels as if the recoil has been cut in half from my all aluminum P238. This makes it enjoyable to shoot and it is very accurate. My 7 and 10 year olds even enjoy shooting it.

Isn't the P238 pretty big and hefty for a pocket .380? I've never actually shot one or had a chance to fondle one for that matter. It just looks like the specs on it are not exactly pocket friendly.

Ruggles
03-17-2012, 11:23
I chose the Sig 238 over the J Frame because it is easier to shoot accurately. The short light trigger pull of the Sig over the J Frame is why for me. I can pocket carry the 238 in most cases. The .380 has trades off like all calibers, overall it is a fairly time proven round IMO.

cowboywannabe
03-17-2012, 11:35
For our purposes, we think the small .380 pistols have a place. There are times in hot climates when pocket carry is clearly indicated. We tried a tiny 9mm for a while, and found the recoil so violent that it affected reliability (for us, at least). We grant the .380 is inadequate for hunting grizz, but for defensive use (with some of the modern ordnance available) we consider it adequate.

We trudge on.

well stated.

and caliber will not make up for poor shot placement.

G26S239
03-17-2012, 12:02

We trudge on.How many people collaborated on this post?

Ruggles
03-17-2012, 12:07
How many people collaborated on this post?

:rofl:

ak103k
03-17-2012, 12:11
and caliber will not make up for poor shot placement.
Absolutely. But...., theres always that but, :) the conundrum is, its usually harder to shoot those "little" guns and place those shots as well, as you can with a larger gun.

Its not really an issue at contact distances, but if you need to make longer shots, you start to loose on both ends. On top of that, youre already coming up short on the round count to boot, so you really need to make things count, and all that under stress you dont normally get at the range in bullseye practice.

Another issue is just basic gun handling and use, in a realistic manner. The smaller you go, the harder it gets. If youre confidant in your choice, then use it to run some of the more realistic legs at your next IDPA match instead of your "games" gun, and see how well you do. At least youll have a better idea if your choice is as good as you thought.

As far as Im concerned, the mouse guns and 5 shot revolvers are last ditch back ups, pure and simple. If you think otherwise, more power to you, but I have to wonder what youre basing your conclusions on. If things are bad enough that you need to carry a gun, then carry a gun that will give you a realistic chance at prevailing.

ithaca_deerslayer
03-17-2012, 12:25
Many of the people with a ccw license are not "gun people". They feel that carrying anything bigger than a lcp sized gun is too difficult or inconvenient.

That's how I know I am not a gun person, and will always wannabe.

cowboywannabe
03-17-2012, 12:25
Absolutely. But...., theres always that but, :) the conundrum is, its usually harder to shoot those "little" guns and place those shots as well, as you can with a larger gun.

Its not really an issue at contact distances, but if you need to make longer shots, you start to loose on both ends. On top of that, youre already coming up short on the round count to boot, so you really need to make things count, and all that under stress you dont normally get at the range in bullseye practice.

Another issue is just basic gun handling and use, in a realistic manner. The smaller you go, the harder it gets. If youre confidant in your choice, then use it to run some of the more realistic legs at your next IDPA match instead of your "games" gun, and see how well you do. At least youll have a better idea if your choice is as good as you thought.

As far as Im concerned, the mouse guns and 5 shot revolvers are last ditch back ups, pure and simple. If you think otherwise, more power to you, but I have to wonder what youre basing your conclusions on. If things are bad enough that you need to carry a gun, then carry a gun that will give you a realistic chance at prevailing.

i agree, but an aluminum frame colt mustang or Sig sauer counter part is easy to shoot accurately at distance and recoils a lot less than a 9mm in a similar sized and weighted gun.

Fragadelic
03-17-2012, 12:31
My Kahr P380 is just plain fun to shoot but, then again, so is my S&W 36. The Kahr carries much much easier...

motorcyclist
03-17-2012, 12:34
Some of us have rather physical jobs were a pistol in a holster IWB, OWB or any other WB ain't gonna make it. I can't carry my cell phone on my belt as I constantly pull belt loops off my pants squeezing into spaces. Pocket carry is very convenient and allows me the option of quickly stashing the pistol in a locked compartment should the need arise.

ithaca_deerslayer
03-17-2012, 12:41

Here's what I'm basing my decision on: having a gun is better than not having a gun.

The next question is: what gun to wear?

You know, there are a lot of days in the year, and a lot of situations. I always wonder if those who say they never carry anything other than a fullsize gun are actually carrying 365 days a year, 18 hours a day.

Add to that, not everyone is LEO, not everyone lives in a pro-gun state, city, or town. Not everyone works in a pro-gun environment or associates with only pro-gun people. Not everyone can count on pro-gun police, lawyers, and judges.

So sometimes the concealment stakes are pretty high. But what is amazing is that some fellow gun owners might feel offended if one were to strap on a .380, and God forbid, only a .380. The horror! Might as well join PETA!

2-8 Marine
03-17-2012, 12:43
Here's what I'm basing my decision on: having a gun is better than not having a gun.

The next question is: what gun to wear?

You know, there are a lot of days in the year, and a lot of situations. I always wonder if those who say they never carry anything other than a fullsize gun are actually carrying 365 days a year, 18 hours a day.

Add to that, not everyone is LEO, not everyone lives in a pro-gun state, city, or town. Not everyone works in a pro-gun environment or associates with only pro-gun people. Not everyone can count on pro-gun police, lawyers, and judges.

So sometimes the concealment stakes are pretty high. But what is amazing is that some fellow gun owners might feel offended if one were to strap on a .380, and God forbid, only a .380. The horror! Might as well join PETA!

Well said. :wavey:

2-8 Marine
03-17-2012, 12:54
That's why I said many not all.

Oh! I'm sorry . . . Just how many did you mean?

That's why I said, I don't believe being a gun person or not has anything to do with the decision. It's generally based upon a persons personal feel and need as to what gun suits their daily situation. :wavey:

bac1023
03-17-2012, 13:10
I've always wondered that myself. ;)

hogship
03-17-2012, 13:15
If youre of a mind to do it, and willing to adjust your dress around the gun, you can pretty much carry anything without any problems.

This is pretty much an undeniable "basic truth".......and, many see this as the reason why nothing short of something larger and more powerful than the little 380s is the only realistic option......

Some go so far off the deep end, that they allow themselves to ignore what is obvious to everyone else, except themselves! :whistling: These people go about their lives without the slightest idea that quite a few people around them have noticed the telltale bulge they think is invisible.......:shocked:

......but, all that really doesn't take into consideration that some of us would really rather not dress for the gun, but would rather apply the appropriate gun to the clothes we'd really want to be wearing.

With the introduction of the little 380s, I'm finally realizing that I can feel more comfortable in knowing that my NAA 32acp is now the Ruger LCP.....so, for me, this is a step up........because I don't live for the gun.......my ccw fits my lifestyle instead.

I also regularly ccw a Kahr MK40 and M&P9c......the LCP is there when the others can't be.

ooc

ak103k
03-17-2012, 13:27
having a gun is better than not having a gun.
True, and having a gun that is a little more realistic and usable, is even better. If theres going to be trouble, Id prefer to have the capability to deal with anything that might occur to the best of my ability.

Actually, I do, and often more than just one gun too.

You do what you have to do. For most of my adult life, Ive worked somewhere I wasnt supposed to be wearing a gun, and often would have faced arrest if it was discovered, and certainly would have lost my job because of it. Ive stood in the middle of police stations, right in the police chiefs office, on more than one occasion, and that full sized pistol under my shirt was never noticed.

Hey, Im not telling you you have to carry anything you dont want, Im just saying, you can carry more than many seem to think you can. Attitude and reasonable dress go a long way at hiding all sorts of things. Why limit yourself if you dont have to? If what you do and/or where you go, warrants wearing a gun, why would you not at least carry the best you can?

ak103k
03-17-2012, 13:54
Some go so far off the deep end, that they allow themselves to ignore what is obvious to everyone else, except themselves! These people go about their lives without the slightest idea that quite a few people around them have noticed the telltale bulge they think is invisible.......
Dont forget the "Skoal ring". :)

My buddy carries a Walther TPH in his right front pocket in a well used pocket holster. Pretty much every pair of pants he wears, has a TPH "ring" in that front right pocket. Its not to hard to guess whats in that pocket. :upeyes:

Then again, on the other extreme, most around you in public are so caught up in their daily lives to barely notice whats going on right in front of them. Ive watched people open carrying in our local Walmart, and most people around them were oblivious to the fact.

I also think so much has been made about printing on the internet, people seem to think if theres a crease out of place on your shorts, youre going to be made. :upeyes: Unless youre acting all weird, and drawing attention to yourself, most people wont notice, even if the gun were uncovered.

Even when youre used to looking for it, it can still be tough to spot something. 99% of the time, even if you were looking and thought you might see something, you couldnt tell with certainty.

These days, with so many people wearing multiple cell phones and accessories on their belts, a bulge under a shirt isnt really that much of a red flag. Still, wearing the right gear and cover garment, goes a long way at saving yourself some grief.

You can drive yourself crazy over this if you want to, and get all OCD about it. Or you can just do what you have to, and go about your business. What you carry is entirely up to you, but you dont have to be concerned about carrying the guns you probably shoot the best with. I always thought that should be the criteria you followed anyway, and work from there. Not the other way around. Unless of course you work at Hooters or something. :supergrin:

John Biltz
03-17-2012, 14:43
I carry a G26, I put it on when I get up and take it off when I go to bed. Its as small as I care to fight with because it handles bigger than it is and its as big as I care to carry. I've been carrying it about 3 years, am really happy with it and plan to be carrying it for years more. Saying that I bought a LCP because I can think of circumstances where it would be good to have something small but I don't see it as a EDC.

HexHead
03-17-2012, 15:00
The other factor is that women are looking for a low-recoil platform, and they've been talked out of the .22 and .25 calibers (and rightly so...)

Anyone that thinks a pocket .380 like an LCP in that context is a "low-recoil platform" is a fool.

CDR_Glock
03-17-2012, 15:12
The Bersa Thunder and Sig P232 are low recoil 380's. I agree the P3AT and LCP aren't low recoil pistols.

The P238 is, though. Single action is really easy.

Lifetime NRA Member

ak103k
03-17-2012, 15:29
My P230 (alloy frame) has a pretty good snap to it, but its grips make it a lot more comfortable to shoot than my PPK's.

I really havent found my LCP to be unpleasant to shoot.

My P238 was the softest shooting .380 Ive owned, it just wasnt reliable. Also for the way I usually carry my smaller guns, Im not really all that hot on carrying it cocked and locked, even thought the P238s safety was pretty heavy to get off (its also very loud). Id more likely carry it with the hammer down on a live round and thumb cock it as I drew it. Its about the same effort as sweeping the safety off, and a good bit quieter.

2740dmx
03-17-2012, 15:35
I understand why many people carry a pocket .380...

but for me....I often practice drawing from under concealment garment, with as much speed as possible (with the idea that an aggressor has just grabbed or punched me...) and have found that mini-guns do not work for me.

The Glock subcompact or a J-frame revolver DO work for me, and so the .380 mouse guns, while certainly "convenient" and easy to carry....when the bullets start flying, give me a gun that can be quick into action and shoots more "effective" rounds.

Self defense, to me, means that my life is in extreme danger...do I really want to face that danger with a pocket .380? (no...)

James Dean
03-17-2012, 15:45
The Sig P238 is a great little pistol. My wife got one recently.

Different applications require different tools. A .380 would not be MY personal choice but my wife is not intimidated by it and shoots it well enough. I'd rather her have something she is comfortable and hit the target with than shoot something she's ineffective with.
My wife took mine too. She likes 1911's so when she saw it and shot it she took it. Im Ok with that. I like my G26 for CCW

2-8 Marine
03-17-2012, 16:28
My P230 (alloy frame) has a pretty good snap to it, but its grips make it a lot more comfortable to shoot than my PPK's.

I really havent found my LCP to be unpleasant to shoot.

My P238 was the softest shooting .380 Ive owned, it just wasnt reliable. Also for the way I usually carry my smaller guns, Im not really all that hot on carrying it cocked and locked, even thought the P238s safety was pretty heavy to get off (its also very loud). Id more likely carry it with the hammer down on a live round and thumb cock it as I drew it. Its about the same effort as sweeping the safety off, and a good bit quieter.

Do you really think carrying the 238 with the safety off and hammer down on a live round is safer than carrying it cocked and locked with the safety on? :dunno::shocked:

ak103k
03-17-2012, 16:50
Having carried 1911's for years, and knowing how often I found the thumb safety swept off at the end of the day with all of them, even the stiffer ones, yea, I do think with the P238, it would be the better choice, especially since it doesnt have a grip safety.

I dont remember if the P238 has a Series 80 type trigger safety or not. That would be better, but still, that unlocked SA trigger isnt awe inspiring in something like a Smart Carry. :)

Nakanokalronin
03-17-2012, 17:16
My carry line-up is a P238 for pocket, Solo for IWB summer and Ultra Carry II for IWB jacket weather.

The P238 and Solo are the same length and height, however the Solo is a tad wider and heavier.

The reason the P238 is the max weight and size I'd go for pocket carry is that it dosn't print or need me to reinforce my pockets. It gets carried only when an IWB is not appropriate.

The Solo is basically just as small as the P238, so why does it get carried IWB? Simply because in the summer time, I have no jacket and even a slightly tighter shirt causes zero printing issues. The width is just a tad wider then the P238 so if I pocket carry, it sure don't look like a wallet, keys, phone or anything else one would normally carry in my front pocket. With my carry line-up I have no reason to alter my clothes or wear shirts and pants that make me look 50lbs heavier.

I've seen picture "proof" where people show how fullsize guns don't print with just a t-shirt. Either they can't easily see it like I can, wear a shirt that hangs on them like a lamp shade or lift their arms up in the air which basically lifts the shirt up and out which is a method on how I could show you that a S&W 500 could not be seen IWB. :upeyes: I don't live where printing is a no-no but I'd rather not advertise it and think nobody will wonder why one side of my shirt is sticking up or out more then the other side

There are also people that don't like the recoil of a 9mm in a .380 package, which may be a big reason why the .380s are still top sellers. I don't mind the recoil of a small 9mm, but the Solo had to have checkered wood grips, grip tape on the back strap and a Wilson Combat front strap to not slip in my hand throughout an entire mag. If you readjust your grip every time you fire a round (like I see many many people do) it dosn't really help to achieve quick follow up shots in a defensive scenario.This is why I've stated a few times on threads that I do not like to readjust my grip between shots.

Shooting a small gun made for SD will either have it stay in the hand with no readjust and good accuracy, slip in the hand with no readjust and so-so accuracy or slips in the hand with constant readjust making for a slow fire scenario. I'm not talking about shooting like a maniac, but taking your time and making sure you have a perfect grip between every shot is not going to happen if the gun needs to be used for SD.

Even with many grip enhancements, a small 9mm may still be to much for someone. Even if it's not about recoil, they may not be able to make good hits on paper, but can do so with a .380.

I know the P938 is coming out and although the P238 is the best pocket .380 I've shot or owned to date, I'm wondering if the shootability will easily be changed with a 9mm introduced into the mix.

Nakanokalronin
03-17-2012, 17:19
Having carried 1911's for years, and knowing how often I found the thumb safety swept off at the end of the day with all of them, even the stiffer ones, yea, I do think with the P238, it would be the better choice, especially since it doesnt have a grip safety.

I dont remember if the P238 has a Series 80 type trigger safety or not. That would be better, but still, that unlocked SA trigger isnt awe inspiring in something like a Smart Carry. :)

The P238 has a half cock notch, VERY positive thumb safety and firing pin block that does not disengage until the trigger is pulled. The P238 is a very safe pocket gun.

To quote what I posted in another thread:
When you carry a 1911 IWB, the trigger is covered, the safety is on and either against your body or sweat guard of the holster (depending on style) and the muzzle is pointed down right along your thigh.

Now, tell me if there is a difference when pocket carrying with a pocket holster.

ithaca_deerslayer
03-17-2012, 17:52
If what you do and/or where you go, warrants wearing a gun, why would you not at least carry the best you can?
Just living on this planet warrants having a gun :)

WarEagle32
03-17-2012, 17:53
Bottom line is you can fit an Lcp type 380 anywhere. That's why I carry I when I rarely can't fit my Sig 290!

ithaca_deerslayer
03-17-2012, 17:56
I carry a G26, I put it on when I get up and take it off when I go to bed. Its as small as I care to fight with because it handles bigger than it is and its as big as I care to carry. I've been carrying it about 3 years, am really happy with it and plan to be carrying it for years more. Saying that I bought a LCP because I can think of circumstances where it would be good to have something small but I don't see it as a EDC.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

glock2740
03-17-2012, 18:10
Small and light

That's about it, really.
In a nut shell. I love my LCP. Great pocket pistol. :cool:

glock2740
03-17-2012, 18:11
Great post. :thumbsup:

NeverMore1701
03-17-2012, 18:15
I carry a .380 on occasion because it's the biggest caliber that has platforms I can reasonably fit in my pocket. I carry a Sig P238 because it's the most accurate, most comfortable, easiest to shoot pocket pistol I've ever tried. It has usable sized, real night sights, a good trigger for it's size, and very light recoil.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-xttkBiJK7NE/TsA6BhLibtI/AAAAAAAAAOg/KQkSl-juykc/s1600/IMG_1822.JPG

Berto
03-17-2012, 20:26
It's about convenience and getting the most round in a tiny package, I have one and like it.....but I find ways to carry a J frame instead if I can.

stillbill
03-18-2012, 07:41
Is it time to dust off and lub the colt .380 government that is lost (hiding) in the back of the safe for the past 30 years?http://glocktalk.com/forums/images/smilies/whistling.gif

Sbh87
03-18-2012, 08:00
I thought about going down the .380 road but decided I can comfortably pocket carry an LC9 so for not much more in price I get a caliber whose success is tested by time right in my pocket. I use a recluse holster and being a thin gun it doesn't really bulge out like my S&W 640 does in the pocket. With the 640 in a nemesis holster prints not like a gun but just an odd shape and the handle actually prints really bad. So I usually only carry that during the fall/winter in a super-tuck deluxe. If I do pocket carry that I usually have a long button down or a sports jersey on to hid the odd shape it creates. Nice thing about the LC9 in a recluse is it just creates a nice flat image of something is in that pocket but an on looker would have no clue what. So having a way to effectively conceal a 9mm and a .357 magnum I saw no reason to go .380. But hey I'm not knocking 380 there are a lot of great options out there and for some people a 380 is their most effective option. I always like the idea of having any gun so if a 380 was my best option thats what I would have, but luckily I have found more powerful options.

Haldor
03-18-2012, 16:00

3 I'll bet. Me, Myself and I. Unless the poster is a King or Queen.

DaBurna
03-18-2012, 17:37
I carry My LCP more now b/c I get extra hours carrying it at work all day in a pocket holster. I added a hogue hybrid grip to the gun and it helps tame recoil. It's still not fun to shoot, but it's not a recreational gun!! It's a backup that can become primary if concealment is an issue. My G26/27 usually take this duty in the Hawwwt Summer Days!

xmanhockey7
03-18-2012, 22:31
Love my Sig 238. I wouldn't want anything bigger or heavier for pocket carry and I have 2 more rounds with it than a snub nose 38 or 357.

carbuncle
03-18-2012, 23:06
I carried my BG380 for about 6 months, put a couple of hundred rounds through it with no problems, fun gun to own and shoot.

But...the ammo was as expensive as .40 most places I shop, and the gun, while fun, does not inspire confidence in it's ability to stop an attack decisively. When I got my PPS .40 last August, I started carrying it daily and I've found over time that in any context where I carried the BG380 I can carry the PPS with some minor considerations to wardrobe and holster selection. Yesterday the BG380 went to a new owner and I came back with a like-new G23: not missing it a bit.

sappy13
03-19-2012, 17:01
I choose to carry a p238 for multiple reasons. Biggest reason was that I wanted a reliable gun that was small enough for me to conceal at any time in business casual clothes for work or gym clothes. I wear only form fitting clothes, so anything. Bulky is out of the question. I also wanted something in SA if possible, since I'm a big 1911 fan. The p238 was the best I found after holding a lot of options. I thought about a airweight, but the width threw me off. Also really wanted a solo, but they are expensive and hard to find. I'm confident enough in the modern. 380 SD round and my shot placement to trust it. If I run into a situation where its not enough, then I tried my best but it just wasn't meant to be. There is always a better option or bigger gun, but its finding one you know u will carry every day and fits your lifestyle that determines which one to get. With that said, I am looking forward to the p938. Lol.

Sent from my Touchpad using Tapatalk

1911ES
03-20-2012, 03:53
Don't believe eveything you read .... or hear... :chatter: Go with the proven track record. As with many other topics, certain fads will come and go.

I'll keep my .38 .... :thumbsup:

Alchemy1
03-20-2012, 04:07
My mom just got a second .380. The first one, a Walther, had light firing pin striking and now she has a Bersa. The .380 was recommended to her by my CCW instructor because she has/had corporal tunnel problems. He says he prefers guns like the Bersa because there is very little recoil.

sourdough44
03-20-2012, 04:59
Maybe it is madness, but I joined the fun too. In the last 6 months I bought an LCP & a Sig P238. The 380 wasn't really on my radar screen before that. I do realize the round has a few limitations.