Do you carry a second gun when at the range? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do you carry a second gun when at the range?

CDR_Glock
03-17-2012, 07:45
When I shoot at my private gun club or the indoor public range, I carry a gun concealed. I personally would not want to be exposed without a second gun, if I'm reloading one at the range. What do you do?

BTW, I also wear a Class 3A vest. I've watched enough people point my wa when reloading.

bac1023
03-17-2012, 07:46
I carry.

DonD
03-17-2012, 07:48
If your range is so dangerous that you feel you need to CCW while there, I'd look for another place to shoot. Don

bac1023
03-17-2012, 07:52
If your range is so dangerous that you feel you need to CCW while there, I'd look for another place to shoot. Don

:upeyes:

Give me a break.

I carry everywhere its legal anyway. Why stop when I go to the range?

redcat11
03-17-2012, 08:01
I also carry while I'm at the range.

ArmoryDoc
03-17-2012, 08:03
Heck yes I carry at the range. I always have one loaded and at the ready.

CLoft239
03-17-2012, 08:11
Yup, I carry everywhere. Only time its not on me is in the shower and when sleeping, and in both cases its always withing arms reach.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Z71bill
03-17-2012, 08:14
I always CC at the range -

I feel sort of "naked" without a gun IWB.

I recall one time at the range - I finished shooting and realized I had shot every last round. I went home with an empty gun in my holster - figured that would be the day I would get mugged -the headline would read - man with 5 guns and no ammo robbed at knife point yesterday in Houston.

bac1023
03-17-2012, 08:15
I recall one time at the range - I finished shooting and realized I had shot every last round. I went home with an empty gun in my holster - figured that would be the day I would get mugged -the headline would read - man with 5 guns and no ammo robbed at knife point yesterday in Houston.

:rofl:

58duck
03-17-2012, 08:18
yes, i carry at the range
yes, i carry everywhere i legally can
yes, i carry at Church, too

P35
03-17-2012, 08:19

Give me a break.

:thumbsup:
I agree, public ranges are...public

58duck
03-17-2012, 08:20
:animlol:

9MM Louey
03-17-2012, 08:21
All the ranges around here require that you enter with all guns unloaded and encased. I interpet that as CCW not allowed. But I'm not sure they are really checking. I always bring two guns in range back. Both unloaded, but full magazines near by.

CBennett
03-17-2012, 08:22
When I shoot at my private gun club or the indoor public range, I carry a gun concealed. I personally would not want to be exposed without a second gun, if I'm reloading one at the range. What do you do?

BTW, I also wear a Class 3A vest. I've watched enough people point my wa when reloading.

I dont. at the indoor range its not allowed and at the outdoor one im just not that worried about it as ive got a gun in my hand probably loaded and or loaded mags all around anyways. ive always got the mag of carry ammo I take OUT to practice at hand so I just dont see a need to to be honest as im already carrying lol...and for the most part already drwan and ready...when in done shooting the pistol I reload with my CC ammo go do my other stuff them unload and clean when i get home..and no, I dont go get another gun to have close at hind while im cleaning my CC gun lol...I think I will "take that "risk" " lol.

CBennett
03-17-2012, 08:27
All the ranges around here require that you enter with all guns unloaded and encased. I interpet that as CCW not allowed. But I'm not sure they are really checking. I always bring two guns in range back. Both unloaded, but full magazines near by.

Our indoor one has that cause they are worried about regular carry ammo getting mixed in their stuff they sell and HAVE to use at the indoor range..it one of those non lead frangable bullet ranges so you have to buy from them what you shoot you dont have the option to bring your own...but since its the ONLY indoor range in at least 70 miles...guess they can make their own rules.

John43
03-17-2012, 08:35
There was a story recently about an elderly gentleman who was robbed of his weapons at the range.

G19freak
03-17-2012, 09:07
Depends on the place and situation.

If I'm out on state land by myself---a loaded AR goes with me when setting up targets or picking up the mess.

On my buddy's farm or gated private range---not so much.

Gamisouu
03-17-2012, 09:09
Please don't tell me you're unarmed in the shower too?!

Wishoot
03-17-2012, 09:09
Yes.

I shoot at an outdoor range that can be deserted at times. I've had odd characters sit in their cars and just watch at times. Maybe it's nothing, but maybe they're just waiting for the right opportunity. I feel just a little better knowing I have the means of defending myself if they're up to no good.

Ruggles
03-17-2012, 09:28

:rofl:

I am "unarmed" at the range come to think of it....to and from I carry but while there I do not carry.

smokin762
03-17-2012, 09:52
At the Club that I belong to, it is not uncommon for me to be shooting alone. Sometimes the last person who shot before me was two days prior to my trip to the range.

I carry where it’s legal. Just because I am at the range doesn’t mean that I am going to take off my CCW firearm.

It’s better to have it and not need it, than be dead because you let your guard down.

Comedian
03-17-2012, 10:01
Yup, I carry everywhere. Only time its not on me is in the shower and when sleeping, and in both cases its always withing arms reach.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

This.

fnfalman
03-17-2012, 10:06
I don't feel the need to carry a second weapon when I'm at the range or elsewhere. Actually I don't feel the need to carry a weapon at all because my whole body is a weapon.

hogship
03-17-2012, 10:31
There was a story recently about an elderly gentleman who was robbed of his weapons at the range.

Yes.

I shoot at an outdoor range that can be deserted at times. I've had odd characters sit in their cars and just watch at times. Maybe it's nothing, but maybe they're just waiting for the right opportunity. I feel just a little better knowing I have the means of defending myself if they're up to no good.

The two quotes here ought to make a few of you think about this.......

I use a private range that only the membership has access to. There is an electronic gate with card access, but anyone could easily gain access......this only keeps the honest people honest. Anyone could easily get access by jumping the fence or walking in around the gate. Often times, I am the only one there. This is a time when vulnerability is the issue, and the guns on hand would be prized by some criminals..........think!

Some criminals wouldn't think twice about killing you for your guns........matter of fact, with some criminals, killing you would be the preferred method of getting them. There are plenty of high-end guns at this range, including classIII weapons.......

If I were going to a range that always had plenty of people there, the circumstances would be entirely different.

ooc

KG1F
03-17-2012, 10:37
The club I belong to has an outdoor range. Most of the time I am the only one around. I keep a mag loaded with SD rounds in my back pocket.

carloglock19
03-17-2012, 10:50
I CC as well when at the range.

HKLovingIT
03-17-2012, 10:52
Yes I do. Why would I not carry there?

ctfireman
03-17-2012, 10:55
When I go to the range I have a holstered pistol on me, always!

mj9mm
03-17-2012, 10:59
raise your hand if you think a gun range is safer than a bank, make that both hands:rofl:, think about, why wouldn't you.

jwhite75
03-17-2012, 11:07
I ALWAYS have a second gun on me at the raneg loaded even if its just a J-Frame in my pocket. For those of you who think it wont happen....

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/news/x1924854612/Man-found-dead-at-Beech-Fork

Aceman
03-17-2012, 11:26
Considering the range staff, and I always have my actual SD mag with the gun, no need.

I agree though - if you feel the need to be more armed than you already are for basic shooting, plus wear a vest either:
a) The range is extremely unsafe. Find somewhere else, or
b) You are anxiety ridden, and should see professional help/medication.

I can't 'fault' the additio9nal weapon, or the vest...but I can't high five you for them either. If it makes you feel good, knock yourself out.

I don't think either of any value, or that there are any legitimate examples of their need.

RYNOCG201
03-17-2012, 11:26
Heck yes I carry at the range. I always have one loaded and at the ready.

Same here.

RYNOC

hogship
03-17-2012, 11:59
Considering the range staff, and I always have my actual SD mag with the gun, no need.

I agree though - if you feel the need to be more armed than you already are for basic shooting, plus wear a vest either:

I can't 'fault' the additio9nal weapon, or the vest...but I can't high five you for them either. If it makes you feel good, knock yourself out.

I don't think either of any value, or that there are any legitimate examples of their need.

If I were a criminal, and intended to relieve you of your firearms.......I'd tell you exactly the things you are telling everyone else here.......:shocked:

I'd simply wait until you put it down, and then take all your guns.......and, your wallet, phone......and the keys to your vehicle! You'd be lucky if I didn't shoot you.

Your "What, me worry?" disposition is the very reason why you make yourself a good prospect to get robbed...........

:wavey:

ooc

BTW: I'm not sure you actually read the posts in this thread, but here is the "legitimate example" you must have missed:

ArmoryDoc
03-17-2012, 12:39
This old man was shot, left for dead and robbed of his guns at a gun range near Tulsa, Oklahoma on Thanksgiving Day. For you who doubt it possible, read on.

http://www.newson6.com/story/16525785/wagoner-man-shot-on-thanksgiving-relives-incident

http://www.krmg.com/news/news/local/elderly-man-shot-robbed-wagoner-county-shooting-ra/nFms3/

bikerdog
03-17-2012, 12:44
Yes i carry at the range. And often times also have an old used vest on

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

CDR_Glock
03-17-2012, 12:46

Say you're walking from the store to the lot. Everyone knows you have a gun. Many people don't have a concealed carry permit. It's easy to rob someone of whatever gun they're carrying, right. Think like a criminal would:

When is the best time time to attack? When you least expect it. Walking to the car on the phone, texting your wife, carrying en empty gun to the car in the parking lot. Take gunshows for example. You cannot carry there. But you're walking from the parking lot to your car with a $2900 FN SCAR 17S. Who has the upper hand? I'm just saying that you may think you're safe. It's not about anxiety, it's not about paranoia. It's stark reality, folks. Don't be caught with yourself unprepared. Think like a criminal. They're not as dumb as you might guess. They may even outfox you.

I am just raising this question because I know of many more who do not carry. My point is that they should. Has nothing to do with where you are. My club is in the forest. It's in a county where moonshiners I hear, run stills. No need to be unarmed if there is a situation.

My point is that you should be carrying wherever it's legal to do so.

BLau
03-17-2012, 12:54
I carry to prevent stuff like that from happening at the range. There are a lot of unsavory characters that like to watch people shoot. When my buddy told me of stuff like that happening I started open carrying at the range.

CDR_Glock
03-17-2012, 12:57

I do recall you asking about a shotgun vest not too long ago.

I am a Medical professional. In fact I'm a physician. I am deliberate in my actions that are not driven by paranoia or anxiety. It is situational awareness and preparedness. When you get your medical degree like mine (then you can talk to me like that). Until then, your words lack any merit whatsoever. It is a laugh for me to see people act like a physician with no basis. What's your lineof work? Do you see me criticizing you as a janitor, engineer or lawyer? No. That's all I will do to address you.

I actually asked a police officer if he thought I was being overly cautious. He was hit by shrapnel a week before, in the chest. He said he usually wears a vest, too, but that day he didn't. He said it was a smart idea. I see how people handle guns as I walk through. People pointing in the direction of others, people thinking a gun has expended all ammo, and every other idiotic thing. I only bring this point up because it is something people don't think about.

Accidental discharges and negligent discharges happen. It's not like every person is screened for firearms competency and safety before they rent a lane.

I'm just saying to be prepared. If you carry, you should certainly carry there. If you shoot at a range, always have one loaded to save your own ass, while you're loading the other. It's better to be proactive than reactive. That's all.

Do what you wish. This is what I do.

:faint:

CDR_Glock
03-17-2012, 12:59
I carry to prevent stuff like that from happening at the range. There are a lot of unsavory characters that like to watch people shoot. When my buddy told me of stuff like that happening I started open carrying at the range.

Exactly. There are gun stores with ranges where people can watch you shoot your Wilson, Ed Brown or other high end gun. It's like window shopping for the criminal element. If its not loaded, guess who's F'd?

bac1023
03-17-2012, 13:02

:animlol:

oldsoldier
03-17-2012, 13:30
The range I use is out in the woods on 80 acres. It's a nice outdoor only range complex with a club house. Membership gets you a key with 24/7 access. I'm often the only one there so yes I carry a CCW along with the gun I'm shooting.

HKLovingIT
03-17-2012, 14:41
Some guys mostly get to shoot at indoor ranges with specific operating hours, and which are fully staffed and have a range officer and safety personnel present. That is a pretty different environment from going out to a relatively secluded "private" club or a public game commission range.

(I have much jealously and hate for you lucky guys that can just go out on your back porch. http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/images/smilies/tongue%20out.gif)

I'd say your chance of getting robbed on the range itself at one of those staffed ranges is pretty slim to none but you might have a higher probability of having to temporarily deal with the person in the lane next to you being a safety idiot. I don't have to deal with that as much, but still, I am out in a pretty secluded place by myself, as far as I know, with a bag of expensive firearms. Yes, my chances of getting robbed of my firearms at this type of range are also very slim, but it has happened to people.

Thoughts/Questions that spring to mind...

Is it a good idea, a bad idea or a neutral idea, to carry your CCW when transporting a bag full of firearms and ammunition in your car to and from the shooting range?

Would it be considered excessive or "nutty" to have a couple of unloaded pistols in your range bag and a loaded pistol in your holster when going to and from the range? Why?

What if your carry pistol is not what you are shooting that day? For example, I have my G26 on me, but I may have a 1911 and a .22 revolver in my range bag. When I arrive at the range what should I do with my G26 to not be considered "nutty" or excessive? Should I un-holster it, clear it, and lock it in the car or should I just leave the G26 in the holster I am already carrying it in?

When I go 200 yards down range to hang targets should I take my rifle with me or should I leave it on the bench at the outdoor rifle range unattended? If I take it down range with me am I being paranoid?

If a person chooses to wear a piece of safety equipment while at the range (a vest), and while shooting with/around people they don't know, are they a wannabe? Why? How is that different from if they choose to wear a helmet while they are riding a motorcycle in traffic with people they don't know?

Where is Bren? Straighten this out...and tell us we are all a bunch of pansies and little girls with skinned knees.:rofl:http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/images/smilies/tongue%20out.gif

CDR_Glock
03-17-2012, 16:03
Just because it says no loaded firearms, it's intended for people who don't carry. If you're carrying something concealed, you're not taking it out unless you need to. Concealed is on a need to know basis and no one needs to know.

My private club is safe because of members but who's to say someone won't trespass onto our land? That's why I carry a 1911 or 8 shot 357. My shotgun is always with me loaded too.

The indoor range is decent but the people who just rent guns can be dangerous. I usually ask if Someone there is renting. I check to see if the. Person is right or left handed. I go to the opposite side of them.

Lifetime NRA Member

Bob Hafler
03-17-2012, 17:21
Yes it's CC.

scottm
03-17-2012, 17:48
I carry at the range as a result of having already carried my ccw in my pocket while carrying a range bag/man purse with several hundred to thousands of dollars of my property slung over my shoulder. I use the train of thought of having "security rounds" in my carry weapon to ensure the security of the weapons in the bag.

elsolo
03-17-2012, 18:41
Nope, USPSA rules are pretty clear about having no second gun on your person.

The one in the holster, plus the four loaded mags on the belt, plus 100 of my associates carrying the same way makes me feel well enough protected.

NeverMore1701
03-17-2012, 18:46
Out at the ranch I'll be carrying whatever I'm shooting, usually a long gun and a pistol, and they're always loaded.

At a public range I'll keep one pistol loaded and concealed while shooting the other guns.

nastytrigger
03-17-2012, 19:29
I always have a BUG on me as long as it's legal. Usually a G19 or Taurus snub, besides my primary.

DubfromGA
03-17-2012, 19:33

Yes, I conceal carry most everywhere except my job.

Berto
03-17-2012, 19:42
I typically do, just because I carry anyway. I don't consider the range to be a dangerous place though, IMO.

GoBigOrange
03-17-2012, 19:55
Short answer. Yes.

Aceman
03-17-2012, 20:03
I typically do, just because I carry anyway. I don't consider the range to be a dangerous place though, IMO.

see - that makes sense to me. But the OP is doing this specifically because - it appears - that he thinks the range is more dangerous.

And I shoot at those spiffy indoor well guarded ranges. And for those who "think like a criminal" you clearly don't. A criminal would think that a shooting range is a place where you are likely to get shot in the parking lot. Criminals try to avoid potential armed conflict. Same reason they don't tend to mug uniformed officers, even though they have cool stuff.

nastytrigger
03-17-2012, 20:17
see - that makes sense to me. But the OP is doing this specifically because - it appears - that he thinks the range is more dangerous.

And I shoot at those spiffy indoor well guarded ranges. And for those who "think like a criminal" you clearly don't. A criminal would think that a shooting range is a place where you are likely to get shot in the parking lot. Criminals try to avoid potential armed conflict. Same reason they don't tend to mug uniformed officers, even though they have cool stuff.

We have two indoor ranges in central Indiana. Ones ok, the other is in the ghetto.

When I didn't know any better, I went to the ghetto one a few times to shoot my AR. I had some very scary 'gentlemen' asking me about my AR being full-auto (it's not, of course).

That same night, my car was broken into at work (I went straight to work from the range), and my G19 was stolen out of my Jeep. I nearly left my AR in there, but it was a slow day at work, by myself, so I cleaned it inside. (this was before my car had an alarm system and I never saw/heard them breaking the glass).

Was I followed from the range, or just coincidence?

Anyway, the ghetto gun shop/range has had multiple robberies, including a truck going through a wall and a grab fest. Robbers and employees have been shot on two separate occasions. Also, a patron was shot when one of their employees didn't clear a rifle before doing some work on it.

Plus, their prices are much higher than any other and the owner is the go-to 'crazy gun shop owner' on the news for a soundbite after a gun-related incident.

I don't frequent it and recommend others don't.

(It's Don's Guns in Indianapolis if anyone's interested)

CDR_Glock
03-17-2012, 20:24
This experience was in Jacksonville, FL. Not where I live, now. The population is much much smaller. However, I have done this since I lived there. For the smaller towns where crime rates are lower, it's a non-issue. However, I don't believe in being caught unprepared, that's all.

Lifetime NRA Member

Reb 56
03-17-2012, 20:39
The Range I use only requires that all guns be in a holster or cased. There have been times when shooting at night there have been some low lifes hanging around the parking lot. So I always ccw when I go there.

craig19
03-17-2012, 20:43
I usually ccw at the range, don't see a reason not to.

rvrctyrngr
03-17-2012, 20:46
This experience was in Jacksonville, FL. Not where I live, now. The population is much much smaller. However, I have done this since I lived there. For the smaller towns where crime rates are lower, it's a non-issue. However, I don't believe in being caught unprepared, that's all.

Lifetime NRA Member

What experience, CDR_Glock? Which range? Just curious.

On the rare occasion I patronize one of the two indoor ranges here in Jax, I always have my EDC or BUG (or both!) on me, whatever I'm carrying that day, and I DO wear a vest.

Mostly I shoot in the action bays at my club. No public access, and I'm on a bay alone or with folks that came with me. I don't carry an extra weapon on me when I'm working in the bays...wouldn't have room on me for it, as I'm always working from a holster with pockets full of mags. I'm never alone, and everyone with me is armed, as well. When I'm done, my EDC goes back on my hip.

tim12232
03-17-2012, 21:34

I dont care if a range has a sign that says that:dunno:
If I can legally carry, I will legally carry! Unless they have a state appropriate no guns on premises "which I've never seen" I will always have my carry gun loaded and my range guns unloaded.

Kikon
03-17-2012, 21:41
All the time, as shooting just one type/model/caliber of gun....is not enough fun.

unit1069
03-17-2012, 22:10
I carry concealed at the unsupervised outdoor public range where anyone can show up.

Be prepared. Always.

WoodenPlank
03-17-2012, 22:54
Always have a spare gun loaded and concealed, or at minimum a magazine of JHP for whatever I am shooting on the bench in front of me or in my pocket.

RedNine
03-17-2012, 23:15
Yeah. I carry at the range. Why not?

skeeter7
03-18-2012, 08:16
I also carry when at the range. I don't see anything wrong with it as 3 out of 4 of my friends who shoot together on Saturdays do as well. You just never know.

1911ES
03-18-2012, 08:25
No, I rely on the one in my hand ....... :eyebrow:

CDR_Glock
03-18-2012, 08:27
What experience, CDR_Glock? Which range? Just curious.

On the rare occasion I patronize one of the two indoor ranges here in Jax, I always have my EDC or BUG (or both!) on me, whatever I'm carrying that day, and I DO wear a vest.

Mostly I shoot in the action bays at my club. No public access, and I'm on a bay alone or with folks that came with me. I don't carry an extra weapon on me when I'm working in the bays...wouldn't have room on me for it, as I'm always working from a holster with pockets full of mags. I'm never alone, and everyone with me is armed, as well. When I'm done, my EDC goes back on my hip.

Gun Gallery. That's why I started to go to BULLSEYE. Pat the rangemaster is a Damn good rangemaster. He doesn't take any BS. The Jacksonville Policd shoot there.

Lifetime NRA Member

rvrctyrngr
03-18-2012, 09:01
Gun Gallery. That's why I started to go to BULLSEYE. Pat the rangemaster is a Damn good rangemaster. He doesn't take any BS. The Jacksonville Policd shoot there.

Lifetime NRA Member

:rofl: Not surprised to hear you say that, and I completely understand how you came to your current mindset!. It's how I came to mine, as well.

:cheers:

byf43
03-18-2012, 09:07
Short answer. Yes.

Well said. :thumbsup:

carbuncle
03-18-2012, 10:25
Yes, unless I'm shooting my carry gun (and then I have a loaded mag in my pocket).

CDR_Glock
03-18-2012, 10:33
Examples:

I saw people who rented guns who knew nothing of gun safety. These two girls were shooting the wall laughing because it was sparking against the wall. I immediately left the range. They do gun rentals. Most people who I saw renting, had little experience with shooting. They never knew about gun safety. I would observe people lasering, pointing in unsafe directions. I just got tired of it. I never went back there, again.

I had a membership at Bullseye and there are cameras everywhere. It's well lighted, well ventilated and was a good rangemaster. He inspects the bags before you go in. He was strict but I prefer that. Jax police shot there and it was a good, clean safe place.

I have an indoor range where I live. Crime is not bad. I do feel safe there. Accidents can happen any place, any time. Sometimes it's just s$;@ty luck. Crime can happen anywhere.

It's just one way to do things. You can do or think how you want. Just a perspective.

Lifetime NRA Member

michael e
03-18-2012, 11:13
If I want to shoot my normal carry gun I will carry something diffrent that day. I have had a car follow me leaving the range before and had range bag in trunk but 3 loaded ones in the car with us. I made several turns threw 2 small neighborhoods that they also made, when I pulled up to police station they kept going.

powder86
03-18-2012, 11:39
Well... i have my carry gun on me while i'm shooting everything but my carry gun. then when i shoot with my carry gun, i usually have my shotgun loaded up and ready in case of emergency. then when done with my carry gun, load it back up with the speer gold dots, and reholster.

DocCasualty
03-18-2012, 12:12
Do you carry a second gun when at the range?
Good topic. Thanks for bringing it up.

I've thought about this before but admit I'm not consistent. I live in a rather safe rural area and our private club is on 80 secluded acres and more often than not, I'm the only one there. Most of the time the gate is unlocked and anybody could walk in even if it was locked. Too easy to get lulled into false sense of security, I suppose. Thanks for the reminder.

chris in va
03-18-2012, 12:48
Our range is 'cold' when on premises except for the line. No loaded guns allowed.

FCastle88
03-18-2012, 13:52
Many people, including myself, shoot at hunting clubs or state game ranges where there's often no one else around. It's not unheard of for people to be robbed or killed for their guns at such ranges, a google search comes up with more than a few such cases. There was a case a couple years ago near where I live, guy was killed for his AR type rifles at a secluded gun club.

deputy tom
03-18-2012, 14:14
Many people, including myself, shoot at hunting clubs or state game ranges where there's often no one else around. It's not unheard of for people to be robbed or killed for their guns at such ranges, a google search comes up with more than a few such cases. There was a case a couple years ago near where I live, guy was killed for his AR type rifles at a secluded gun club.

I remember that incident. There also have been individuals sneaking to the benches and stealing weapons once the shooter/owner is down range. I always have a loaded gun in addition to the one I'm shooting at the range. YMMV.tom.:cool:

John Biltz
03-18-2012, 14:24
If I'm not shooting my EDC then I'm carrying it. If I'm shooting it then no, but my SD ammo in its magazine is right there. I don't normally shoot outdoors for anything but rifles. The indoor range is about as safe as anything short of a secret service detail.

Bill Lumberg
03-18-2012, 14:59
I get a kick out of permit holders who act as if their very demise is imminent every day that they leave the safety of their home and the only remedy is a firearm. That said, if you carry normally, why would you go dry at the range? Not necessarily a 2nd gun, but at least always having a loaded mag set back.

rvrctyrngr
03-18-2012, 15:10
Not worried about imminent demise, and a firearm is hardly my only remedy.

I simply don't shoot whatever I'm carrying that day when I go to the range. I shoot other guns whether it's one of my competition pieces or other guns in the carry rotation.

Darkangel1846
03-18-2012, 17:50

Fracken A!:wavey:

BFN
03-18-2012, 18:28
I always carry coming to and going from the range, at the local private/public range I will usually shoot what I carry, then reload (I always bring 2-3 guns with me). In the woods, or a remote range, I always CC.

Ranges are dangerous, just look at the holes in the ceiling right above you. Might have to invest in some kevlar.

Wurger
03-18-2012, 19:03
Area guy was at his range with a supressed AR. Two dirtbags shot him to steal his rifle for a planned crime spree. Nice guy died because someone wanted his gun.

It is stupid not to carry if you can.

Beretta92guy
03-18-2012, 19:15

Give me a break.

EXACTLY...same here.....

ashecht
03-18-2012, 19:44
I CCW on the way in,and when I'm done plinking, I reload 2 mags with SD ammo, and CCW out. Just feel safer. I worked too hard to save for my guns to just let someone take them.

Fragman
03-18-2012, 19:57
I get a kick out of permit holders who act as if their very demise is imminent every day that they leave the safety of their home and the only remedy is a firearm. That said, if you carry normally, why would you go dry at the range? Not necessarily a 2nd gun, but at least always having a loaded mag set back.

I'm not sure that that is a fair assessment. Just because someone carries, does not mean that they believe 'the only remedy is a firearm'.

That's kind of an asinine comment.

Maybe you don't carry off duty, maybe you do. Not sure what your agency specifies and frankly I don't care. That's your business. Whether anyone else carries (within the law of course), that's their business.

BTW, I do carry at the range. Mainly because I generally don't dick around with it once I put it on. I don't shoot the gun I am wearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CDR_Glock
03-18-2012, 20:23
I'm not sure that that is a fair assessment. Just because someone carries, does not mean that they believe 'the only remedy is a firearm'.

That's kind of an asinine comment.

Maybe you don't carry off duty, maybe you do. Not sure what your agency specifies and frankly I don't care. That's your business. Whether anyone else carries (within the law of course), that's their business.

BTW, I do carry at the range. Mainly because I generally don't dick around with it once I put it on. I don't shoot the gun I am wearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There will be many opinions. Many outliers exist.I agree with frag man.

I merely wanted to bring up a perspective. You're carrying a few thousand dollars in guns, and you're walking to the parking lot. Someone who wants guns. Maybe someone wants some items to sell black market. People get killed for much less.

Whether someone chooses to carry or not, keep your head on a swivel, be situationally aware. Maybe it won't happen. Maybe it will.

iPad/Tapatalk

hi-power man
03-18-2012, 20:39
I carry one everywhere, the range included. When it is shoot the current CCW day, I shoot it, reload it and carry it until I'm at home to clean it. I do wipe off the outside before I reholster.

Brucev
03-18-2012, 21:15
Re: OP. No. I don't walk around looking over my shoulder at every Tom, Dick and Harry that happens to be within shouting range of me. But then, neither am I a member of the Chicken Little Society.

Sbh87
03-18-2012, 22:14
I actually open carry at the range. All the staff and range officers do and nobody has a problem with it.

hikerpaddler
03-19-2012, 10:34
True on all counts. I get a kick out of permit holders who act as if their very demise is imminent every day that they leave the safety of their home and the only remedy is a firearm. That said, if you carry normally, why would you go dry at the range? Not necessarily a 2nd gun, but at least always having a loaded mag set back.

SC Tiger
03-19-2012, 10:53
Last trip I CCW'd my Kahr and open carried my Glock. However, I did shoot the Kahr later with the Glock empty so I guess you could say I did both.

When I go downrange I always have a gun on me.

Ryobi
03-19-2012, 11:23
Plus one Lumberg and Ashect.

HeliGlock
03-19-2012, 12:45
Always Carry a concealed Weapon at the Range.

xmanhockey7
03-19-2012, 12:48

I avoid places I feel I will "need" a gun.

tuica
03-19-2012, 13:48
I carry also. Why not?

HKLovingIT
03-19-2012, 14:51
Area guy was at his range with a supressed AR. Two dirtbags shot him to steal his rifle for a planned crime spree. Nice guy died because someone wanted his gun.

It is stupid not to carry if you can.

You mean these clowns?
http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/08/police_prison_guard_killed_lawyer_stole_guns_for_o.php

RMD
03-19-2012, 15:10

I don't disarm myself just because I'm at the range.

John Biltz
03-19-2012, 16:30
Those two guys who shot all those FBI agents in Miami were suspected of shooting a number of people who were out shooting in isolated locations as well. Its thought that was where they got most of their guns.

ronin.45
03-19-2012, 22:13
I only go to the range for competitions and most don't allow any hot guns when it's not your turn. If I went to the indoor range during normal business hours I'd be armed like always.

janice6
03-19-2012, 22:15
I also carry while at the range.

I never go to or from my car without a loaded gun ready.