DPMS A3/M4 Question/Reliability? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : DPMS A3/M4 Question/Reliability?

Farmalljon
03-17-2012, 08:02
I'm totally new to the "AR" world, and I'm thinking about buying a "like new,shot very little" (so the guy says) DPMS A3/M4. Any issues with quality and or reliability with DPMS rifles? Any particular things to look for when I see the rifle in person? LIke I said, I'm new to AR15s so any advice will be helpful. Thanks.

jem375
03-17-2012, 09:20
try the search feature or get out a bag of popcorn, we have a few people that are really goofy on the subject...

Ruggles
03-17-2012, 09:38
try the search feature or get out a bag of popcorn, we have a few people that are really goofy on the subject...

That sir is a understatement :rofl:

K. Foster
03-17-2012, 10:12
DPMS does not have the best reputation. Not trying to insult anyone, just stating a fact. There are easily 20 brands of AR’s right now. Do a lot of research and then make an informed decision.
What do you want to do with this gun? Plinking, home defense, competition..............
Here are some brands that I do or would own. Colt, LMT, Daniel Defense, BCM, Spikes, PSA, Noveske.
If you have the opportunity to shoot the gun before you buy. Get some Wolf or Tula steel cased ammo and see if it functions.

cyrsequipment
03-17-2012, 10:13
Oh boy...

RyanNREMTP
03-17-2012, 10:49
Quickly answer these questions before the flaming starts:

1. What are your plans for this AR?

2. What price are you getting this "pre-used" AR for?

Like the others stated DPMS does not make the best ARs. If all you want is an AR to shoot paper targets with and you are getting a good price for it then it might serve your needs. Anything else I would consider something better.

Javelin
03-17-2012, 11:12
DPMS does not have a great record.

DPMS did come out with their SASS line of rifles (5.56 & 7.62) competing for .gov contracts and they did a much better job than their standard line but nothing to write home about. Their SASS line was 'OK' but they were asking nearly $2K for their SASS rifles and at that price point you can find some much better guns for a much better deal. Basically what I'm saying is that DPMS charged $1,700 for a gun of standard quality. Should have been a red flag... I ended up getting the 7.62 & paid nearly $1900 for it because it had the fluted barrel and magpul stock and all the goodies that DPMS lovingly puked up on the build at a HUGE cost.

Here is my DPMS SASS 7.62 & DPMS Agency 5.56.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS26AuUMIfPWUtbSl8eJKqRABffZThIjG5S3mC9YgkBc3p-UKGTqmJ5fsBXqA

The problem is their standard line and their budget line of guns absolutely suck and they are not cheap. DPMS does a lot of advertising of their brand but has shown time and time again that they do not invest in much else, namely their product.

I'd pass on it and look elsewhere.

SCSU74
03-17-2012, 11:23
Quickly answer these questions before the flaming starts:

1. What are your plans for this AR?

2. What price are you getting this "pre-used" AR for?

Like the others stated DPMS does not make the best ARs. If all you want is an AR to shoot paper targets with and you are getting a good price for it then it might serve your needs. Anything else I would consider something better.

was going to say this exact same thing. If you get a good price on it and aren't using it daily for police work you probably wont have any issues.

mvician
03-17-2012, 11:32
If you get a good price on it and aren't using it daily for police work you probably wont have any issues.

I'd say some non LEO/.mil use/shoot their AR more.
As with everything you buy you get what you pay for. Don't be quick to jump, educate yourself, and make sure what you choose will do what you ask of it.

Cole125
03-17-2012, 11:46
First, understand that there is a lot of bias and brand snobbery on here. If its not a Colt, BCM or whatever its trash. The answer you will get is DPMS sucks, and you will get this answer from people who have never owned one.

Second, while DPMS quality is not the best in the world, it will make a good plinker. It'll go bang, if all you want is a fun gun to go to the range and blow **** up and punch paper, a DPMS will be fine. I have heard quite a few people that are happy with theirs.

Javelin
03-17-2012, 11:56
First, understand that there is a lot of bias and brand snobbery on here. If its not a Colt, BCM or whatever its trash. The answer you will get is DPMS sucks, and you will get this answer from people who have never owned one.

Second, while DPMS quality is not the best in the world, it will make a good plinker. It'll go bang, if all you want is a fun gun to go to the range and blow **** up and punch paper, a DPMS will be fine. I have heard quite a few people that are happy with theirs.

Do you own one?

Gunnut 45/454
03-17-2012, 12:29
K. Foster
Good idea when DPMS says not to use -steel cased ammo!:faint: And before you say otherwise I own a DPMS upper and have the litterature right in front of me saying it!:upeyes:

OP
As been said shoot some rounds through it (brass cases) if it fuctions fine and it's priced right get it! DPMS may not be teir 1 but it will shoot just fine.:supergrin: You really need to decide what you want to do with it!:supergrin:

Farmalljon
03-17-2012, 14:05
The gun will primarily be used for weekend killing of paper, hunting small game on rare occasions, and just to HAVE in the safe for a SHTF gun. I posted an ad in the local classifieds looking to trade my brand new HK USP 45 for an AR15, and this guy offered his like new DPMS. I think I'm going to pass. Thanks for the advice.

Farmalljon
03-17-2012, 18:21
Here is the guy's description of his AR, and then a picture he sent. Being an AR "newbie", I'm not sure what it all means. Am I doing the right thing in passing on this trade?

"The lower is only a few months old, the upper is maybe 6 months old with less than 300 rounds through it. The A3 is an Aero Precision with the DPMS m4 profile barrel 5.56mm nato 1/9 twist non chrome lined barrel. Head space is correct. It comes with Magpul MOE hand guards and the scope is a 4x12x32 that came with a new remington bolt action rifle I bought several years ago. I have no idea what make it is."

http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac83/Polaris0702/dpms001.jpg

K. Foster
03-17-2012, 20:41
K. Foster
Good idea when DPMS says not to use -steel cased ammo!:faint:

Yeah, some companies have added liability disclaimers about steel cased ammo. Thanks for the heads up.
I guess if I needed one more reason not to buy DPMS, that would be it.

WoodenPlank
03-17-2012, 20:50
If this is what he offered in trade for a new HK USP 45, I'd pass without hesitation. You could definitely do better.

eyelikeglasses
03-18-2012, 19:55
was going to say this exact same thing. If you get a good price on it and aren't using it daily for police work you probably wont have any issues.

"police work"? Riding in a cruiser, only to come out for once a year quals? I'm sure you run your rifles hard.

SCSU74
03-18-2012, 23:32
"police work"? Riding in a cruiser, only to come out for once a year quals? I'm sure you run your rifles hard.

Was speaking more towards reliability, but I'm glad you felt the need to make a worthless post that contributed nothing at all except to show how big of a tool you are. Congrats.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

TunaFisherman
03-18-2012, 23:38
:deadhorse:

Google and forum search button are your friends. There are multiple threads on this same subject....

svtpwnz
03-19-2012, 06:45
There is no way in hell I would trade an HK for a DPMS. Just my .02

kirgi08
03-19-2012, 07:50
JMTCs Folks,I've got a early model DPMS with more rounds than I can count through it, and NO rifle related malfs......... .'08.

MrMurphy
03-19-2012, 10:43
The description and the pic speak "Frankenrifle".

The scope is apparently a POA Remington branded no-name scope with an incorrect mount.

5.56mm, yet 1 in 9 and NOT chrome lined? That is a very random barrel and definitely not close to any particular spec much less mil.

Sounds like with the correct headspace comment it's a homebuilt.

I wouldn't take that one of it was free.

fuzzy03cls
03-19-2012, 10:59
5.56mm, yet 1 in 9 and NOT chrome lined? That is a very random barrel and definitely not close to any particular spec much less mil.
Most DPMS barrels are in this configuration. I have a upper with this config & it's survived almost 6K rounds of steel case with zero cleaning. Only mod is a BCM BCG.
I use it to beat on.