Dinky has a question! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dinky has a question!

Dinky
03-17-2012, 09:53
The Earth turns counter-clockwise to the East.

Does it take less energy to drive East, as you are going with the rotation and does it take more energy to drive West, against the rotation?

Or does it take more energy driving East, as you have to drive faster than the earth is rotating to move from one spot to the other or does it take less energy driving West as the Earth is rotating away from the direction you are going??

Dinky would like the too know.....:dunno:

tous
03-17-2012, 10:06
Do you assume a tailwind?

Angry Fist
03-17-2012, 13:07
If you find yourself going the wrong way, a few 10MM's will cancel out the difference, depending on said rotation.

Dinky
03-17-2012, 13:40

Only if you are behind me and talking:tongueout:

uhlawpup
03-17-2012, 14:37
Congratulations on an intelligent question!

Ignoring atmospheric resistance, it takes the same amount of energy to overcome your vehicle's inertia, since the gravitational center is for all practical purposes right below you, no matter which way on the surface you head.

Dinky
03-17-2012, 16:06
Congratulations on an intelligent question!

Ignoring atmospheric resistance, it takes the same amount of energy to overcome your vehicle's inertia, since the gravitational center is for all practical purposes right below you, no matter which way on the surface you head.

So if I took a 10mm and shot it to the West, the Earth would speed up and if I shot it to the East once, the Earth would slow and if I shot it twice would the Earth stop?

How is that for an intelligent question?

tous
03-17-2012, 16:13
uhlawpup has a portion of the answer. If the Earth were a sphere, the force required to overcome gravity on the surface of the sphere produced by both mass and rotational velocity would be the same.

You mention moving either along the vector of rotation or 180 degrees from the vector of rotation, so your working theory is that movong the in direction or rotation gives you a sort of tailwind and hus, you need less energy, no?

Here's a clue. The two moving objects, car and planet are always moving relative to each other, not idependently.

Let's use a smaller-scale example. Consider, you are on an aircraft traveling 965 kph. Assume that direction of travel, altitude and friction don't affect the experiment. The test procedure is to walk a fixed distance at the constant velocity from the aft forward and walk the same distance, same constant velocity from forward to aft. If your theory is valid, it should take less effort to move aft to forward that forward to aft, no?

Consider, you are moving at 965 kph in some direction. When you walk from the rwar of the aircraft to the front, in the direction of travel, let's say at 2 kph, are you going 2 kph or 967 kph? When you move in the opposite direction, are you moving 2 kph or 963 kph?

Hus! You now have enough information to anwser the question.

:wavey:

Dinky
03-17-2012, 16:33
So, the answer is yes?

tous
03-17-2012, 16:53
Uh, not yes.

Both objects are moving relative to each other. Whichever way you go on the aircraft, you are moving 2 kph and the energy needed is the same, just as it would be if the aircraft were sitting on the ground.

Consider the same aircraft. If you jump up in the air, does the plane move out from under you at 965 kph and smash you into the bulkhead?

Note that if you are standing at the North or South Pole, you can walk around the world in about ten steps. :supergrin:

Dinky
03-17-2012, 17:06
:brickwall:

scratchy wilson
03-17-2012, 19:11
This thread needs a lava lamp.

HandyMan Hugh
03-17-2012, 19:23
This thread needs a lava lamp.And a little Cowbell too. :supergrin::supergrin:

tous
03-17-2012, 19:49
It wasn't Dinky's fault this time.

engineer151515
03-17-2012, 19:50
For Goodness sake, DO NOT throw a treadmill into this analysis.

Dinky
03-17-2012, 20:07
It wasn't Dinky's fault this time.

Most of the time it is my fault butt not this time....:whistling:

Dinky
03-17-2012, 20:08
For Goodness sake, DO NOT throw a treadmill into this analysis.

OK, standing on a treadmill with a 10mm :faint:

tous
03-17-2012, 20:33
Is the treadmill on the rotational axis of the earth?
Is the 10mm cartidge a Buffalo Bore product or a wimpy range round?
Is the Moon in the seventh house?
Jupiter aligned with Mars?

vkscott
03-17-2012, 20:33

:rofl: You used ass and tail in the same sentence.

tous
03-17-2012, 20:34
It is my great talent. :supergrin:

I can do little else.

HiddenEyes
03-17-2012, 22:04
It is my great talent. :supergrin:

I can do little else.

So goes the tale of learning thus far assimilated by tous.:whistling:

Mr. HE:cool:

tous
03-17-2012, 22:33
That isn't going in The Files, is it? :ack:

Blast
03-17-2012, 23:09
http://94.101.90.171/jarbullimgs/Hidden%20Files/Hidden-Files-1.jpg

tous
03-17-2012, 23:14
:shocked:

Blast
03-17-2012, 23:20
Another question...
Dinky is suspended in a basket from a point in space in relation to the center of the sun a few feet above the earth at the equator.
Oops, forgot... orbital velocity is not a factor. Point of reference is in sync with orbit.
Does the earth below...
A. Remain stationary in relation to Dinky

B. Move beneath Dinky at 1037.58 mph

C. Dinky falls out of the basket

:whistling:

ArtCrafter
03-18-2012, 00:01
Dinky has a question!.....:dunno:

It all depends on your inertial frame of deference.

Since you're the King . . . *COUGH* . . . you get a 'pass.'

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzbnseMJnP1qh2axio1_500.jpg

G said you can pay your . . . submission . . . at the door. :patriot:

ArtCrafter
03-18-2012, 00:03
Another question...

Dinky is suspended in a basket from a point in space in relation to the center of the sun a few feet above the earth at the equator...

:whistling:

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_krqbgmWQQ21qznd83o1_400.jpg
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l7oio2yp9d1qbgrceo1_400.jpg

HiddenEyes
03-18-2012, 01:14

Cabinet at the very back, bottom of the bottom drawer.:wow:

Mr. HE:cool:

smith10
03-18-2012, 03:14
uhlawpup has a portion of the answer. If the Earth were a sphere, the force required to overcome gravity on the surface of the sphere produced by both mass and rotational velocity would be the same.

You mention moving either along the vector of rotation or 180 degrees from the vector of rotation, so your working theory is that movong the in direction or rotation gives you a sort of tailwind and hus, you need less energy, no?

Here's a clue. The two moving objects, car and planet are always moving relative to each other, not idependently.

Let's use a smaller-scale example. Consider, you are on an aircraft traveling 965 kph. Assume that direction of travel, altitude and friction don't affect the experiment. The test procedure is to walk a fixed distance at the constant velocity from the aft forward and walk the same distance, same constant velocity from forward to aft. If your theory is valid, it should take less effort to move aft to forward that forward to aft, no?

Consider, you are moving at 965 kph in some direction. When you walk from the rwar of the aircraft to the front, in the direction of travel, let's say at 2 kph, are you going 2 kph or 967 kph? When you move in the opposite direction, are you moving 2 kph or 963 kph?

Hus! You now have enough information to anwser the question.

When you walk from the rwar of the aircraft to the front

how do you walk from rwar of an aircraft? Does the rwar only exist on military aircraft? If so can it be only be used in times rwar?

:supergrin:

Blast
03-18-2012, 04:17
Dinky got a girlfriend?:shocked:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_lG2az5ut9w0/S80VOA6BG-I/AAAAAAAANTA/16HMrZSw6DE/s1600/Wooly-pigs5.jpg

tous
03-18-2012, 06:48
When you walk from the rwar of the aircraft to the front

how do you walk from rwar of an aircraft? Does the rwar only exist on military aircraft? If so can it be only be used in times rwar?

:supergrin:

Supergrin:

Hus! :cheerleader::teddy:

kcb
03-19-2012, 18:51
<---I'm on Spring Break with a SEVERE case of INFLUENZA. :sadangel:

So....I do NOT have to answer that question! :faint:

Sometimes....LIFE is just NOT fair!!!

:sigh:

tous
03-19-2012, 18:55
Evening, ma'am. :wavey:

Hope you feel better soon. :hugs:

kcb
03-19-2012, 18:57
Evening, ma'am. :wavey:

Hope you feel better soon. :hugs:

Thanks, Mr. Tous! Me, too!

I gave it to my hubby over the weekend!

Isn't that romantic!?

Our doctor seemed to think so?

:supergrin: :dunno:

He was so sweet to see us late Friday evening! :hearts:

smith10
03-19-2012, 19:30
Sorry your not well Ma'am, myself and my wife are also, (I am almost over it)

Feel better quick!!!

kcb
03-19-2012, 19:36
Sorry your not well Ma'am, myself and my wife are also, (I am almost over it)

Feel better quick!!!

This stuff is wicked! I haven't had the flu like this in years.

I can feel the fever rising again...and I have had it bad since last Thursday/Wednesday evening. Doc put us on the z-pac on Friday...he told us to stay away from our kids and everyone because we are highly contageous!

My energy level is zilch...I better feel better by morning! That's all I'm going to say!

Coughing up a lung is a real possibility for both of us!

smith10
03-19-2012, 19:39
Yup, sounds like the same thing we dealt with.

Angry Fist
03-20-2012, 13:02
Flu had all of us on our asses a few weeks ago. Brutal, I tell ya....