Driving through NM & Texas [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Driving through NM & Texas

Anglin_AZ
03-17-2012, 10:44
I'll be driving through Texas this week with the family for a little spring break excursion.

I have done some due diligence about carrying while in Texas and New Mexico on this and other forums and just want to make sure I understanding the legalities of it all just to be safe.

I have am a resident of AZ and have a CCW from AZ. Both New Mexico and Texas reciprocate with Arizona. I only ever carry concealed so I don't intend to have to deal with open carry issues.

From what I understand I will be in full compliance by carrying concealed in both NM and Texas.

If stopped I must disclose my CCW if I'm carrying at the time even if not asked in both states.

In your expert opinions are both of these assumptions correct.

glock75
03-17-2012, 12:14
TX: If you are stopped by LEO and ASKED for ID, you must present your CHL with your drivers licences and notify the LEO that you are carrying. If you are NOT carrying at the time that you are stopped, then you do not need to notify the LEO that you have a CHL.

However, if they run a check on your drivers license, it will/may come back flagged that you have a CHL and they will ask you if you are carrying. You may elect to let them know that you have a CHL, but you don't have to.... your call.

unit1069
03-17-2012, 17:32
And keep both hands on the steering wheel at all times or out the window.

Forewarn all passengers to keep their movements visible if said stop occurs. And while stopped make sure you and all passengers fully comply with all requests from police officers.

It's not LEO you have to fear; it's the criminal element you need to fear. And if you're in compliance with the law the officers will send you on your way without further ado.

You're talking about NM and TX where citizens still demand respect, not IL and MD, my friend.

NMGlocker
03-17-2012, 17:56
NM is not a "duty to inform" state.

Caver 60
03-18-2012, 23:04
I assume you've been here.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Lord
03-21-2012, 09:58
keep in mind the following: in TX it is legal to have a gun in your vehicle if you have a license or not. It must be concealed, but you can have it anywhere, even on your person as long as you're in your vehicle. Because of this law, many LEOs will ask "do you have any weapons in your vehicle"?

It does not have to be unloaded, the magazine can be full, and in the pistol, and one can be chambered.

Aside from that, you're doing right by checking all the rules that you may be faced with prior to traveling. So far everything I've read in this thread re: TX is correct, just thought I'd throw the extra info in.