Ruger LCR .357 first time out... bullet unseating [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ruger LCR .357 first time out... bullet unseating

ThinkMud
03-17-2012, 13:49
Ok, so I'm one of those guys that actually reads the manual of new guns...

In the Ruger LCR's manual (page 11 titled Ammunition Check) it says to check and see if a bullet will be unseated by loading it with 5 rounds and firing 4, then checking the fifth unfired round... so I did, and using Hornady 125 gr XTP .357 Mag loads, the last round was unseated about a milimeter or two out.

I don't want to have to test a ton of ammo to see what will not unseat, so anyone know something else to try that will work?

Also anyone know what type of damage/problem it would cause to shoot this brand and have one unseat even more?

DeLo
03-17-2012, 14:20
If it unseats it will again. Stay away from the 125s unless you're going to try another brand. The 125s will probably all unseat in a revolver that light unless they have a great crimp. Shooting an unseated round will damage the forcing cone. Just shoot a great 38 plus p like 158 SJWCHPs or take the time and money to trial enough 357 rounds in different weights that won't unseat.
I have a 442 and not a LCR so I dont know what round your revolver will take. My Ruger is a Speed Six and I haven't seen any rounds unseat out of that beast.

Good Luck finding a round and remember that shot placement is key even with a belly gun. Follow up shots will be tough with full house 357 rounds even if you find a round that doesn't unseat.

Will this be your primary carry or a bug?

Bald Baron
03-17-2012, 15:10
I think light guns are great if that what it takes to get people to carry, but light guns and heavy loads aren't always a good combination. Nothing wrong with .38 defense loads, I carry them in my ruger SP101 and save the .357 rounds for hiking and camping ect..:wavey:

collim1
03-17-2012, 15:19
I personally cant imagine 125g .357mag out of a LCR.

I would load it with 135g Gold Dot short barrel, and those are punishing enough, but effective and wont jump crimp.

DGreno
03-17-2012, 16:17
I would load it with 135g Gold Dot short barrel, and those are punishing enough, but effective and wont jump crimp.

I agree with the above statement. I have been using the 135g Gold Dots without any issue. they have a good crimp and don't move.

ThinkMud
03-17-2012, 16:36
not a primary carry at all, haha.. I have way too many glocks that fill that role just fine.

g29sf is main carry gun lately, or a g27gen4, or g30sf, or my g23gen4, g20sf etc... :) all depends on what I'm in the mood for, where I'm going, what I'm wearing etc...

The LCR was just for something I could throw in my pocket for a quick trip to the gas station or something, I may leave it in my Jeep locked up as a back up though. it is super light, so i could see myself having it in my pocket a lot.

I bought some 38 special today to leave it in for now. I won't shoot the .357 125gr xtp in it again, but i did get .38 110 gr xtp (all my local gun shop had). wasn't sure if I should try the 38 +p or not since the .357s through it wasn't very much fun to shoot.

Thanks for the info and this is my first wheel gun.

Nakanokalronin
03-17-2012, 16:41
I look at the .357 LCR as a heavier model for those that find the recoil to be too much in the lighter .38spl LCR. I have no problem with my .38spl model and +P ammo, but since the cylinder length is the same on both versions, I would just load it up with premium .38spl ammo like suggested.

ThinkMud
03-17-2012, 16:43
I agree with the above statement. I have been using the 135g Gold Dots without any issue. they have a good crimp and don't move.

are those 357 or 38? I'll try to order some, b/c I didn't see any locally. they did have some 38 gold dot +P though, but I wasn't sure if I should try those yet.

EL COLONEL
03-17-2012, 19:57
So what would be a good 357 load for the gun ? .... :dunno:

ThinkMud
03-17-2012, 20:12
So what would be a good 357 load for the gun ? .... :dunno:

I think that was my initial question:)

For now, I'll roll with the .38s until I figure it out.

m2hmghb
03-17-2012, 20:49
The 125 grain has heavier recoil then the 158 grain IIRC. The bullets can "jump crimp" which is what happened to you. If it's bad enough it can lock up the gun. That's why ruger said to test it first. Mild 357 magnum loads such as the speer gold dot short barrel and 158 grain loads should be fine in it.

ThinkMud
03-17-2012, 21:03
So something heavier than 125gr .357 should be better?

I'm New to revolvers so wasn't sure what to buy. I'll look up some stuff and test it out. I really like the LCR, just want to make sure I can shoot the best loads without issues.

I usually just roll with Hornady b/c of the price and b/c it's always easy to buy in bulk online. But if I have to buy something else, I'm down for anything just to make sure this gun runs good.

ThinkMud
03-17-2012, 22:31
lots of edits in that last post haha... cant find a drinking smilies, but it is totally warranted here, haha.

Zombie Steve
03-18-2012, 08:43
Lighter bullets don't have as much bearing surface and therefore not as much neck tension.

Lot of strange things in this thread. Heavier bullets will have more recoil if they are anywhere near the same speeds.

If you're getting a teeny bit of jump after four shots, it's not going to lock up your gun, not going to damage your forcing cone... :upeyes:

The easiest solution is to roll crimp. Very few factory rounds come out with a nice roll crimp (or any crimp for that matter). I do it on every revolver round I reload.

If you don't have dies and / or press, just switch to a heavier bullet for now. Longer bearing surface... more neck tension.

This is an example of a roll crimp I just found on Google Images. I think they went too far, but it illustrates the idea:

http://www.shootersforum.com/attachments/handgun-cartridges/3800d1137360853-roll-taper-crimp-taper-roll-crimps.jpg

Now look at your factory ammo.