Need help with Walter mental block. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Walter mental block.

Metal Angel
03-17-2012, 18:45
When I took my CHL class a year or two ago, my instructor said something about walther's lack of quality control since Smith took over and how some of their guns go off without having the trigger pulled...

Anyway, I was hoping someone could give me some kind of history on these rumors because I know there is no way Walthers are firing unprovoked and when I pick them up at gunshops the fit and finish seems at least equal to if not better than glocks... But I still have this mental block. I need some help so I can buy Walthers.

bac1023
03-17-2012, 18:49
I think Walther is better than ever right now, actually.

Don't blame them for the P22. They don't even build that.

porschedog
03-17-2012, 18:50
I think he's biased. walther/s&w quality seems fine to me on the two I own

m2hmghb
03-17-2012, 19:03
What he's probably talking about is the old PPK. When Smith started importing them their quality was down when compared to the WW2 post war and french models. There was a S&W recall of walthers for an issue with something(I think the decocker). I haven't heard of issues with the PPS or PPQ or P99 and the PPK's quality has since gone way up.

Leathernecker
03-17-2012, 19:48
I had a PPK/s made by Interarms and it was a fantastic pistol. I thought it was a little heavy for a caliber as lame as 380, but let's face it, it's an old design, so what do I know?

The Smith and Wesson built PPK's that I've held since Interarms lost the contract to build them for Walther have not impressed me. They don't seem to be as smooth for some reason, like less care was taken in fit and finish during the manufacturing process.

Metal Angel
03-17-2012, 20:06
Ok glad to know it was an old PPK problem. My instructor was not biased against Smith, just Smith imported Walthers. And really to be fair, it was just a quick touch and go comment about quality control and safety, and then he moved on, firmly planting a mental block in my head against them. Glad to know that the PPK quality has come up since then, but really I'm not interested in the PPK. I'm more interested in the PPS.

Novocaine
03-17-2012, 23:20
One of the employees at a local range showed me his PPK(new-ish, with extended tang) that he claimed would fire when you flip the safety on. I thought it was made, not imported, by SW.

m2hmghb
03-17-2012, 23:46
One of the employees at a local range showed me his PPK(new-ish, with extended tang) that he claimed would fire when you flip the safety on. I thought it was made, not imported, by SW.

It's imported by S&W and he needs to send it back to get it fixed, it's a known problem and if he bothered to check he would find out information about the recall.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_757981_-1_757978_757978_image

That's the only issue I can remember ever hearing about.

MarcDW
03-17-2012, 23:59
For deep CCW I have a PPS.
Beside the nice slim size of this gun, it actually is quite accurate.
Walther is a great company with great products.
Just look at the new PPQ. The only reason Walther is not sold more is the price Walther guns have.

FCastle88
03-18-2012, 00:30
It's imported by S&W and he needs to send it back to get it fixed, it's a known problem and if he bothered to check he would find out information about the recall.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_757981_-1_757978_757978_image

That's the only issue I can remember ever hearing about.
No, it is made by S&W, your link even says so, and there have been various complaints about the S&W made PPK ever since they started making them. Mostly poor fit and finish and various malfunctions, most posters on the Walther forums prefer the old Interarms guns, and have a poor opinion of the S&W made guns. The actual Walther made guns, especially the P99/PPQ, are very nice guns.

Novocaine
03-18-2012, 05:08

Can't import PPK.

The conversation happened a while ago, 7-8 years ago or so. Years before SW acknowledged there was a problem with their design.

m2hmghb
03-18-2012, 11:10
Can't import PPK.

The conversation happened a while ago, 7-8 years ago or so. Years before SW acknowledged there was a problem with their design.

Your right the PPK and PPK/S are the only ones made by Smith. The rest are imported from Walther Germany.

Rooster Rugburn
03-19-2012, 05:01
I've never heard anything about pistol self firing, but there was an issue with Walther and SW on the P99.

Years ago, when Walther and SW first hooked up, SW was going to manufacturing parts for the P99. More evidence that Walther just wasn't too interested in the US consumer market. Parts of that pistol were made in the US, but I think the frame was made in Germany.

SW did a terrible job on the slides and when Walther saw an example, they literally called and told SW to stop production. Walther sent some engineers over to help tighten specs and make the finished product a little better. Eventually, Walther got away from the bastardized model and went back with the full German P99, and licensed SW99. Long time P99 fans know of those couple thousand pigs and stay away like the plague. We always looked for the proof marks on the frame and slide when buying back in those days.

I'm not sure if that is what the instructor had stuck in his head, but him mixing SW and Walther makes me suspect it is. You could surf around the Walther Forums for more info.