Surplus Ammo & Arms AR at Gun show for $695 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Surplus Ammo & Arms AR at Gun show for $695

BlackCrow98
03-17-2012, 18:52
Saw these at the gun show today in Mesquite, TX. Came with 1 mag, and a gun bag. Anyone have any experience with these guns?

vafish
03-17-2012, 21:48
No personal experience with the brand.

Looking on their web site they don't list complete guns.

But they do list lower receivers and complete uppers, so maybe someone is buying them, assembling and reselling, or they might have complete guns that are not on the web site.

Their lower priced upper receivers are 4140, non chrome lined with a 1:9 twist. No mention of the Bolt Carrier Group, so I'd say it is safe to assume it is not HPT/MPI or shot peened.

I think most would consider those specs a plinker grade AR15, and at that price it is what I would assume it is.

If you just want a new toy to play with at the range they will probably work.

If you are planning on staking your life on it you should look for something else.

WoodenPlank
03-17-2012, 21:53
No personal experience with the brand.

Looking on their web site they don't list complete guns.

But they do list lower receivers and complete uppers, so maybe someone is buying them, assembling and reselling, or they might have complete guns that are not on the web site.

Their lower priced upper receivers are 4140, non chrome lined with a 1:9 twist. No mention of the Bolt Carrier Group, so I'd say it is safe to assume it is not HPT/MPI or shot peened.

I think most would consider those specs a plinker grade AR15, and at that price it is what I would assume it is.

If you just want a new toy to play with at the range they will probably work.

If you are planning on staking your life on it you should look for something else.

All of this, and I'd say the price is a bit high for a plinker AR. The S&W M&P Sport has a better barrel (but lacks forward assist and dust cover), and can be had for the same or less money. Honestly, I can't remember if the Sport BCG is HPT/MPI tested or not.

spikedzombies
03-17-2012, 22:02
I live right next door to surplus Ammo and arms, their rifles are high quality stuff and their lowers and uppers are built iirc by aero precision. I've shot a few and own one myself. $700 is high priced tho. And they make a few complete rifles a year under the saa name, but the low end rifle they sell the most in store is a dpms Oracle for around $600

"Sent while drunk, on the toilet and nursing a rum and coke"

arclight610
03-17-2012, 22:20
I have an SAA lower on my AR-15s. They are made by Aero, as previously stated, and are forged. The actual company is a turd to work with. Once, I ordered a BCG from them and they sent me a FCG. They sent me a T-shirt for my hassles. A couple of weeks ago my friend ordered a FCG from them, and got a whole upper receiver!

WoodenPlank
03-17-2012, 22:38
I have an SAA lower on my AR-15s. They are made by Aero, as previously stated, and are forged. The actual company is a turd to work with. Once, I ordered a BCG from them and they sent me a FCG. They sent me a T-shirt for my hassles. A couple of weeks ago my friend ordered a FCG from them, and got a whole upper receiver!

:wow:

spikedzombies
03-17-2012, 22:46

That's where your wrong, somewhat. Surplus Ammo storefront is under the same company as the web based sales but are two different entities. The store front is a pleasure to do business with, the warehouse/web based company does lack in customer service.

"Sent while drunk, on the toilet and nursing a rum and coke"

cyphertext
03-17-2012, 23:03
Honestly, I can't remember if the Sport BCG is HPT/MPI tested or not.

The bolt is marked MP. Some say that the BCG in the Sport and other S&W rifles is made by LMT, but I have no idea if this is correct.

WoodenPlank
03-17-2012, 23:06
The bolt is marked MP. Some say that the BCG in the Sport and other S&W rifles is made by LMT, but I have no idea if this is correct.

The carrier in my dad's sport is a shrouded, semi-auto carrier. If it's made by LMT, then they made them for S&W, as I have never seen an LMT rifle with that style of carrier.

cyphertext
03-17-2012, 23:20
The carrier in my dad's sport is a shrouded, semi-auto carrier. If it's made by LMT, then they made them for S&W, as I have never seen an LMT rifle with that style of carrier.

They do make some semi-auto carriers. There is one listed here for $129, but I can't get the pic or anything to load when I try to click on it from their store webpage.

http://www.lewismachine.net/store.php?cid=7

WoodenPlank
03-17-2012, 23:22
They do make some semi-auto carriers. There is one listed here for $129, but I can't get the pic or anything to load when I try to click on it from their store webpage.

http://www.lewismachine.net/store.php?cid=7

I didn't even think about the fact that LMT sells separate SA carriers. Although I've heard they are getting out of the parts business, and will only sell complete rifles soon.

BlackCrow98
03-18-2012, 07:32
Don't remember the name of the company that was selling them at the show, but said they had a lifetime warranty on the guns.

BlackCrow98
03-18-2012, 19:32
Found the card of the place selling them

S.W.A.T. Firearms
Gary Brammer - Class III Dealer/Manufacturer

BobRicks
04-14-2012, 20:35
Saw them at the Market Hall show today. They had YHM receiver AR's for 695 with one mag and a case. I know that it is not a YHM rifle, just a kit they put together on a YHM receiver, but I thought about picking one up for that price. They also had Surplus Arms, S&W, and one other brand receiver I can't remember right now. I would like to know what kind of kit they are using to put them together and sell them for that price.

alexanderg23
04-14-2012, 20:41
I've got one of their lowers, paid $50 seems alright, but all the holes were a lil tight.