Giving BUG away during incident? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Giving BUG away during incident?

nastytrigger
03-17-2012, 19:51
You see it in movies, sometimes. Like Mission Impossible (I forget the number, 2?), where Tom Cruise gives a quick training course on his Beretta to the female lead.

Is there any rationale to giving away an extra gun you might have to someone who has little/no experience during a self-defense incident? You would still have a long rifle, or primary pistol, but give away an extra long gun or BUG.

Say in a catastrophic event, like Katrina. You have to go look for food/water and leave loved ones/friends behind in shelter/safety, would you leave an extra gun with a wife, kid, friend, etc who has no real training/experience.

All hypothetical here. I'm watching too many movies today.

EAJuggalo
03-17-2012, 20:47
Yes, I'm still responsible for the safety of my family. The presence of that gun may keep them alive. Now there may be some warnings about not using it unless they have to.

unit1069
03-17-2012, 20:59
Say in a catastrophic event, like Katrina. You have to go look for food/water and leave loved ones/friends behind in shelter/safety, would you leave an extra gun with a wife, kid, friend, etc who has no real training/experience.

All hypothetical here. I'm watching too many movies today.

I'd say so if hypothetically you're concerned with the safety of loved ones in a dire emergency.

You arm the pistol and tell your loved ones not to touch it unless they believe they're in immediate danger. Instruct them in the proper way to hold the pistol and tell them to be sure of the target before placing finger on trigger and pulling it until it fires.

Badger54
03-18-2012, 02:37
I would in a Katrina type event if I had to leave them alone. I would try to give them a crash course on how it works and gun safety. But I would only leave a weapon with close friends or family that I trust.

Bill Lumberg
03-18-2012, 07:15
This.

I'm watching too many movies today.

Back up guns have limited application at best to ccw. But for leaving a gun behind in a katrina type situation, you'd want to look at a simple rifle or shotgun. Better tool for someone with limited training or experience, such as a spouse left behind.

nastytrigger
03-18-2012, 07:43
Thanks for the replies!

happyguy
03-18-2012, 07:52
B.Y.O.G.

Regards,
Happyguy :)

Misty02
03-18-2012, 09:22
Everyone in our household should have at least a basic understanding of the safety rules. Whether they ever wish or plan to lay hands on it, they should be taught how to handle it safely, even younger kids we may not allow near a firearm under normal circumstances. That was non-negotiable in our home before the first firearm crossed the door.

If we accomplish that much, it substantially narrows the number of people we may leave one of our firearms with in case of an emergency that donít know how to safely handle one.

If my household members were harmed, unable to operate a firearm and I had to trust another to keep them safe until my return, yes, I would leave something behind for them to use, along with a crash course on its safe handling.

ATW525
03-18-2012, 09:40
I wouldn't normally give a gun to somebody who had no experience with them. However, it's conceivable to be have teenage children who might know guns and even shoot competitively but be unable to carry because of age. It that case it might be beneficial to have the ability to arm them at a critical time.