The NSA Is Building the Country’s Biggest Spy Center [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : The NSA Is Building the Country’s Biggest Spy Center

pipedreams
03-18-2012, 05:43
(Watch What You Say):whistling:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/03/ff_nsadatacenter/all/1

A tribute to "Person of Interest". The Machine.

Presscheck40
03-18-2012, 05:47
Is it really a spy center if we know it's a spy center? Just saying.

Presscheck40

pipedreams
03-18-2012, 06:01
Is it really a spy center if we know it's a spy center? Just saying.
Presscheck40

Maybe a data mining center would draw less attention.
It is the old west out there in Bluffdale where the polygamists roam. :whistling:

series1811
03-18-2012, 06:04
Ever been to Ft. Meade?

NSA already has the world's largest spy center (and employs more civilian employees than any other federal agency).

pipedreams
03-18-2012, 13:28
Ever been to Ft. Meade?

NSA already has the world's largest spy center (and employs more civilian employees than any other federal agency).

Never been there, looks like Ft. Mead will now be the worlds second largest spy center.

RetDet
03-26-2012, 18:25
So what?

The Machinist
03-26-2012, 18:32
So what?
All governments, ours included, are notorious for abusing power. This spy center will be used to sift through your every phone call, forum post, and credit card transaction. You have no privacy left in this world. That's what.

Javelin
03-26-2012, 18:41
All governments, ours included, are notorious for abusing power. This spy center will be used to sift through your every phone call, forum post, and credit card transaction. You have no privacy left in this world. That's what.

:agree:

If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about.

My Response: If there is no reason to suspect then you have no reason to look!!!!!

:steamed:

Sent from my Fisher-Price phone
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/customavatars/avatar2503_1.gif

RetDet
03-26-2012, 19:58
It's quite apparent that you have no idea what the intelligence business is all about. I think that you not only require a tin foil hat, but you should most likely cover your entire house with it.

You aren't smart enough to realize that no one in that game cares about you, or your silly credit card purchases. I would have to guess that your paranoia demands that the US have no SIGINT capability at all. Maybe you'd be better off living on an island somewhere, plowing with a sharpened stick, and eating insects and cat tails or something.

You really place too much importance on yourself and your little bitty transactions, hoss.

QNman
03-26-2012, 20:14
Nah, nothing going on...

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1410736

Don't worry... They're not after you (today)...

Call me tinfoil hatter... I just flat don't trust the government.

Ruble Noon
03-26-2012, 20:19
It's quite apparent that you have no idea what the intelligence business is all about. I think that you not only require a tin foil hat, but you should most likely cover your entire house with it.

You aren't smart enough to realize that no one in that game cares about you, or your silly credit card purchases. I would have to guess that your paranoia demands that the US have no SIGINT capability at all. Maybe you'd be better off living on an island somewhere, plowing with a sharpened stick, and eating insects and cat tails or something.

You really place too much importance on yourself and your little bitty transactions, hoss.

It is obvious that you don't keep up with current events.

Bren
03-26-2012, 20:24
So what?

So the last thing I read about it said something like, "the ability to monitor every piece of electronic communication on earth" or something like that.

The NSA knew you posted "so what?" before I did.

nmk
03-26-2012, 20:28
So what are you guys going to do about it?

QNman
03-26-2012, 20:31

Now THAT is the $64,000 question, isn't it?

The only thing we can do... Work with conservative politicians to replace the current crop of R's and D's who don't seem to give a crap. From President to dog catcher.

Ruble Noon
03-26-2012, 20:36

Communicate with smoke signals.

RetDet
03-26-2012, 20:42
I think they all ought to go to that particular farm where they protect the paranoid and those who suffer from delusions of governmental interest and those who deem themselves somehow important.

If you don't trust your government, and I certainly don't trust this one with that treasonous schmuck in control, elect someone you can trust. If you don't trust anyone, then you need to go back to the home, where you can be properly medicated. SIGINT is very important to the US, especially since we've still not recovered from what Jimmy the Peanut Farmer did to us during his one overly long term.

If you think that NSA really gives a fat s--- about you and your credit cards, you're delusional and probably should not be allowed to own a firearm. In fact, you had to have lied on your 4473's.

QNman
03-26-2012, 20:46
I think they all ought to go to that particular farm where they protect the paranoid and those who suffer from delusions of governmental interest and those who deem themselves somehow important.

If you don't trust your government, and I certainly don't trust this one with that treasonous schmuck in control, elect someone you can trust. If you don't trust anyone, then you need to go back to the home, where you can be properly medicated. SIGINT is very important to the US, especially since we've still not recovered from what Jimmy the Peanut Farmer did to us during his one overly long term.

If you think that NSA really gives a fat s--- about you and your credit cards, you're delusional and probably should not be allowed to own a firearm. In fact, you had to have lied on your 4473's.

Who said anything about credit cards? And did you even read the article? Does it not concern you even a little that all this is taking place together? If not, good for you... It seems you've already been medicated.

Try decaf.

alexanderg23
03-26-2012, 20:53
Yeah although I dont like the idea of spying on Americans, but if they are watching people like me they really are bored. Maybe they could at least stop the other countries from attacking us.

The Machinist
03-26-2012, 21:03
RetDet, sorry I hurt your feelings.

pipedreams
03-26-2012, 21:38
The NSA kind of reminds me of the TSA. They mug all sort of old ladies and children but have yet to catch a real terrorist.

RetDet
03-26-2012, 21:46
First of all, Machinist, whomever you might be, you aren't capable of hurting my feelings.

In answer to the other questions, yes, I read the entire article, including some of the letters at the end of it. I found that many of the letters were written by a bunch of Ron Paul fellators, and at that point, I got really bored with it. Ron Paul would have made perhaps a half-way decent dog catcher in 1840, but he's less than nothing today, let alone the savior of this nation.

I grew up in an intelligence family on an intelligence post in Europe during the Cold War. I understand what needs to be done and I understand that most of the information gathered in things like this is useless and is not paid attention to. If this bothers you, I suggest you go live someplace like Lichtenstein, or maybe Holland. Someplace that is not a player on the world scene and that everyone comfortably ignores.

If you believe your e-mails and such are of interest to some super sneaky governmental agency, find another way to communicate so you can finally get some sleep.

Personally, I don't think this means anything's changed. And I'm not going to run around screeching that the sky's falling. If it makes you feel better, you can try a mind meld with someone like Jesse "Flatnose" Ventura. You sound pretty much like him already.

QNman
03-27-2012, 00:35
This aint your daddys cold war...

The moment we stop questioning our governors, we cease to be citizens and become subjects. Data mining of the citizenry is and always has been a violation of the fourth amendment. Turning inward is not what won the cold war.

If I were in fear, I would not post openly on a public forum. I just happen to believe firmly in the Constitution and all the protections provided therein.

Javelin
03-27-2012, 00:48
This aint your daddys cold war...

The moment we stop questioning our governors, we cease to be citizens and become subjects. Data mining of the citizenry is and always has been a violation of the fourth amendment. Turning inward is not what won the cold war.

If I were in fear, I would not post openly on a public forum. I just happen to believe firmly in the Constitution and all the protections provided therein.

:agree:

If there comes a time that I am truly afraid to speak about government and share ideas about freedom then obviously there is a serious problem.

Bren
03-27-2012, 04:41
It occurs to me that actually monitoring the world's electronic communication is already a crime in the U.S. Is there an exception for NSA somewhere?

The Machinist
03-27-2012, 05:23
If you believe your e-mails and such are of interest to some super sneaky governmental agency, find another way to communicate so you can finally get some sleep.
So the government doesn't have access to, or ever read our e-mails?

mymini40
03-27-2012, 06:47
At least we can brag that we have one.

RetDet
03-27-2012, 09:59
I think you're all missing the point. The US has to have a very large intelligence capability. We are still, at least until Obama gets through selling us out, the most powerful country on the planet.

I also agree that we have a duty, let alone a right, to question our government about anything that concerns us.

Where I become somewhat nauseated is with these silly little people who believe that the government, as the big bad bully that it is, is somehow concerned with their trivial little e-mails and so on. I also note that while they're peeing in their diapers, not one has a suggestion or solution. Just a lot of whining and panic. The truth is that their daily lives and picayune nonsense mean nothing, and nobody cares about it.

The Machinist
03-27-2012, 10:12
people who believe that the government, as the big bad bully that it is, is somehow concerned with their trivial little e-mails and so on. I also note that while they're peeing in their diapers, not one has a suggestion or solution. Just a lot of whining and panic. The truth is that their daily lives and picayune nonsense mean nothing, and nobody cares about it.
They care enough about these worthless e-mails to scan the contents of every single one of them. The solution is for the government to stop treating everyone guilty until proven innocent. I realize that concept is foreign to LE such as yourself. It's why you're not able to wrap your head around why everyone else is making such a fuss.

RetDet
03-27-2012, 11:25
I don't think we're ever going to come to agreement on this one. And that's probably a good thing.

Intelligence gathering on a scale such as this is going to be a "separation of wheat and chaff" kind of thing. There will be key words that, if found in a communication, might attract attention. But on the grand scale, people's e-mails, etc will be largely scanned and then ignored. Humans are not going to be reading and saving anything.

If you believe that anyone who really wants to isn't already reading everything you put onto a computer, you're remarkably naive.

If you're sufficiently disturbed by this, then you're going to have to invent some other communications system. I suggest tin cans and string. The range is a mite short, but it's not easily monitored.

Finally, I don't see what my present or former connection with LE has to do with anything. What is foreign to people like me is people like you who panic over anything the government does. I truly hope that you don't do anything more sensitive than say, digging ditches or washing people's dogs. I don't think you could handle it. It's good to see that you're on the left coast. Do me a favor and stay there. You need to be cared for.

The Machinist
03-27-2012, 12:22
Finally, I don't see what my present or former connection with LE has to do with anything.
No, of course you wouldn't. But please, don't let me keep you from slinging your slack jaw in support of the government. It's entertaining.

Stubudd
03-27-2012, 12:30
Where I become somewhat nauseated is with these silly little people who believe that the government, as the big bad bully that it is, is somehow concerned with their trivial little e-mails and so on. I also note that while they're peeing in their diapers, not one has a suggestion or solution. Just a lot of whining and panic. The truth is that their daily lives and picayune nonsense mean nothing, and nobody cares about it.

dude, it's only a center where your big buddy can look at every email or search engine query or transaction you make. What's the big deal.

:rofl:

was that bolded part supposed to be a joke?

fascinating

there are still people out there who trust these people, after they've taken and wasted or stolen trillions and trillions of your dollars- so much that your unborn kids won't ever stop paying for it. They've even dismantling your rights, the rights that made this country different and greater than other in the history of the world. But if you don't trust them to use a super spy center only and strictly and always in your own best interest, even after they've proven a million times over your best interests are the least of their concerns, you need medication for your diaper peeing you little crazy person.

that's amazing

i've got a solution. let's pretend this is still the united states of america, where people have a right to privacy, to not having the government monitoring anything they choose to any time they choose to

crazy talk right?

"he loved big brother"

Javelin
03-27-2012, 12:34
If you're sufficiently disturbed by this, then you're going to have to invent some other communications system. I suggest tin cans and string. The range is a mite short, but it's not easily monitored.

You mean like the US Mail? :rofl:

What is foreign to people like me is people like you who panic over anything the government does.

You mean like intentionally violating the 4th Amendment and right to privacy?

I can see how that could be foreign to someone... :whistling:

RetDet
03-27-2012, 12:55
Actually, Stupid, or whoever you are, had you read my post you'd see that I had bolded nothing, but I guess that's expecting too much of you.

Machinist, you've become a boring little man. I had hopes this conversation might be interesting, but you've decided to become insulting. Did mommy drop you on your pointy little head? Or maybe something went wrong during conception. Either way, you aren't worth my time.

Javelin, I see you have something to play with besides yourself. Congratulations.

Since none of us really want to keep this civil, it's best we don't talk anymore. Tootles, all.

Stubudd
03-27-2012, 13:17
Actually, Stupid, or whoever you are, had you read my post you'd see that I had bolded nothing, but I guess that's expecting too much of you.

Machinist, you've become a boring little man. I had hopes this conversation might be interesting, but you've decided to become insulting. Did mommy drop you on your pointy little head? Or maybe something went wrong during conception. Either way, you aren't worth my time.

Javelin, I see you have something to play with besides yourself. Congratulations.

Since none of us really want to keep this civil, it's best we don't talk anymore. Tootles, all.

:rofl:

every post you've made has been insulting, and you're going to talk about keeping it civil? "did mommy drop you on your pointy little head" or something?

i bolded it to point it out ace of the base

gosh you're leaving, well please hurry back to insult people and tell us how great the federal government really is, i can hardly wait :upeyes::rofl:

Ruble Noon
03-27-2012, 15:24

You talk about civility? What a dumb ass.

m51
03-27-2012, 15:45

You will learn real fast in this section, if you prove one of the good old boys wrong, gang tackle is coming quickly. But proceeded with petty name calling. The powers that be could really give 2 shcizitzels less about your emails machinist, if they ever did come to their eyes it would be by error and deleted quickly. Your personal emails are about as important as a JP Penneys sale flyer to them.

Ruble Noon
03-27-2012, 15:53
You will learn real fast in this section, if you prove one of the good old boys wrong, gang tackle is coming quickly. But proceeded with petty name calling. The powers that be could really give 2 shcizitzels less about your emails machinist, if they ever did come to their eyes it would be by error and deleted quickly. Your personal emails are about as important as a JP Penneys sale flyer to them.

If they are of such insignificance, why bother scanning everyone's E-mail in the first place?

The Machinist
03-27-2012, 16:53
Your personal emails are about as important as a JP Penneys sale flyer to them.
Yes, I know. I'm a nobody. I'm just another head of cattle raised to furnish money for the ruling class. It begs the question then, why do these clowns need to go through all of my personal data? Answer that honestly, and you'll know why this government is rotten to its core.

Blast
03-27-2012, 17:02
If they are of such insignificance, why bother scanning everyone's E-mail in the first place?
Keywords, phrases, patterns, country of origin, etc.:yawn:
As has been mentioned, this is computer scan. Nobody is sitting at a station reading personal emails. How many emails are online daily? Hundreds of millions if not billions.
Do I like it? Not particularly, but I'm no more concerned than I am about the imagined fema internment camps.
If a major attack in the US is thwarted due to info obtained, then it is justified.
But of course the tinfoilers would scream Fear Mongering, Conspiracy, False Flag, etc.:upeyes:

And I'm familiar with Franklin's qoute about freedom and security. That's all well and good, but Ben couldn't envision a highly technological world with nuclear weapons and radical Islamic terrorism.
To not take security seriously enough can result in loss of liberty if not life.

snerd
03-27-2012, 17:07
...... To not take security seriously enough can result in loss of liberty if not life.
So, we need all of this spying on Americans to "preserve" our liberty?!

Ruble Noon
03-27-2012, 17:10
As has been mentioned, this is computer scan. Nobody is sitting at a station reading personal emails. How many emails are online daily? Hundreds of millions if not billions.
Do I like it? Not particularly, but I'm no more concerned than I am about the imagined fema internment camps.
If a major attack in the US is thwarted due to info obtained, then it is justified.
But of course the tinfoilers would scream Fear Mongering, Conspiracy, False Flag, etc.:upeyes:

And I'm familiar with Franklin's qoute about freedom and security. That's all well and good, but Ben couldn't envision a highly technological world with nuclear weapons and radical Islamic terrorism.
To not take security seriously enough can result in loss of liberty if not life.

:rofl::rofl:

You can't make this stuff up.

Ruble Noon
03-27-2012, 17:11

Brilliant isn't it. :animlol:

snerd
03-27-2012, 17:13
Brilliant isn't it. :animlol:
:crying:

QNman
03-27-2012, 17:31

So if the fed.gov declared tomorrow that they will now open and read all snail mail letters. You know, for "security". Would that be ok?

What if they declare it is now legal to use listening devices to listen to your home without a warrant? Is that ok?

Where in the fourth does it define where that line is? The line where some spying is acceptable while other forms are not?

I do not believe the founders didn't specify due to their lack of imagination of what may be.

QNman
03-27-2012, 17:35

Naturally! The fourth amendment is out of date anyway. The founders couldn't have meant email too, because they couldn't imagine it.

Blast
03-27-2012, 18:03
Typical naivte and ignorance. :yawn:

There are some that understand.

If Sun Tsu were alive today he would :rofl: then put the foolish to the sword.:supergrin:

If Patton were alive, he would slap the crap out of them.:rofl:

QNman
03-27-2012, 18:07
Typical naivte and ignorance. :yawn:

There are some that understand.

If Sun Tsu were alive today he would :rofl: then put the foolish to the sword.:supergrin:

Fortunately, we have at least two wise sages actively involved in this thread who fully understand. Please, enlighten us lost souls. Use small words.

Oh, and be sure to explain how this fits into the confines of the fourth amendment.

Thanks in advance.

Blast
03-27-2012, 18:22
:rofl::rofl:

You can't make this stuff up.
What level of security would you want for your own family?
What if an attack were successful and your own family were casualties? Would you complain there wasn't enough security?

The Dale Gribbles will always blame the federal gov no matter what.
Like it or not it is what it is. Don't like it, there are three options.

The democratic thing... voting.

The treasonous thing... take up arms against the gov.

The cowardly thing... denounce citizenship and GTFO.

Blast
03-27-2012, 18:38
Fortunately, we have at least two wise sages actively involved in this thread who fully understand. Please, enlighten us lost souls. Use small words.

Oh, and be sure to explain how this fits into the confines of the fourth amendment.

Thanks in advance.
In war there are no rules. Especially when the enemy respects no rules.
I would break any rule, any ammendment to save innocent life.
To let innocent people die to abide by the letter of the law is disturbing.

BTW, blowing up Awlaki was an excellant move. That's what war is about, destroying the enemy.

The Machinist
03-27-2012, 18:46
So it stands to reason, that as technology progresses, and weapons of mass destruction become even more powerful, our rights must necessarily be stripped in proportion?

Ruble Noon
03-27-2012, 19:03
What level of security would you want for your own family?
What if an attack were successful and your own family were casualties? Would you complain there wasn't enough security?

The Dale Gribbles will always blame the federal gov no matter what.
Like it or not it is what it is. Don't like it, there are three options.

The democratic thing... voting.

The treasonous thing... take up arms against the gov.

The cowardly thing... denounce citizenship and GTFO.

Some of us don't live in fear and some of us put on our big boy pants quite some time ago and don't feel the need for the leviathan government to take care of us. You obviously live in fear and haven't graduated out of your Pampers yet.

QNman
03-27-2012, 19:24

BTW, blowing up Awlaki was an excellant move. That's what war is about, destroying the enemy.

Then you value life over liberty, whereas I value liberty over life. Clearly, you are a lost soul.

QNman
03-27-2012, 19:26
So it stands to reason, that as technology progresses, and weapons of mass destruction become even more powerful, our rights must necessarily be stripped in proportion?

Ah, but he has already answered. Clearly, for him, it is better to survive under the boot of tyranny than to allow a single "innocent" to die.

And he says WE are the cowards.

Ruble Noon
03-27-2012, 19:37

Were you the architect of Fast and Furious?

Javelin
03-27-2012, 20:10

So again, and aside from your rude remarks which probably should flag you as someone I couldn't give a crap what thoughts originate in that gray matter there between your ears , but I am interested;

You have no problem with this current administration completely violating the 4th Amendment and right to privacy? Or is this something that you do have a problem with?

Javelin
03-27-2012, 20:13
Ah, but he has already answered. Clearly, for him, it is better to survive under the boot of tyranny than to allow a single "innocent" to die.

And he says WE are the cowards.

Folks that demonstrate the thought process such as those found in this thread is exactly how the rules will be enforced.

Really sad honestly.

:tongueout:

QNman
03-27-2012, 20:22
Folks that demonstrate the thought process such as those found in this thread is exactly how the rules will be enforced.

Really sad honestly.

:tongueout:

True enough.