Great deal on Walther P88! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Great deal on Walther P88!

bac1023
03-18-2012, 08:43
This is a hell of a deal on an incredible pistol! Every P88 on Gunbroker is selling for well over a grand, even in used condition. This one has the box and everything.

If I didn't already have one, I'd be all over it. Its the best pistol Walther ever made, in my opinion. $650 is a ridiculously low price, considering what they usually go for. I've seen them sell as high as $1500-$1800 in unfired condition. This example looks to be in good shape.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Walther-P88-9mm.cfm?gun_id=100239207

PlasticGuy
03-18-2012, 09:00
That is a great price. I can't even find a P5 for that price around here.

bac1023
03-18-2012, 09:26
Yeah, P5's are going for more than that here as well.

SpringerTGO
03-18-2012, 10:00
Hey bac,

I have a P88 as well. It's been years since I shot it, but you are right about the quality.
That seems like quite a bargain, as I paid a heck of a lot more for mine new, decades ago.

Ruggles
03-18-2012, 11:15
Wow what a deal. Tempting to say the least....

bac1023
03-18-2012, 11:39
Hey bac,

I have a P88 as well. It's been years since I shot it, but you are right about the quality.
That seems like quite a bargain, as I paid a heck of a lot more for mine new, decades ago.

Wow what a deal. Tempting to say the least....
Its probably the best deal I've ever seen on one.

The P88s I've seen in that price range or even a little higher are real rough.

Ruggles
03-18-2012, 11:43
Its probably the best deal I've ever seen on one.

The P88s I've seen in that price range or even a little higher are real rough.

So good it makes me wonder what the catch is, most likely my imagination but if it seems too good to be true type thinking.....somebody needs to buy it and lay those thoughts to rest :rofl:

bac1023
03-18-2012, 11:48
So good it makes me wonder what the catch is, most likely my imagination but if it seems too good to be true type thinking.....somebody needs to buy it and lay those thoughts to rest :rofl:

I hear you. I was looking at the pics again and it looks real clean.

GI doesn't get a 10th of the exposure that GB gets, so that would explain it still sitting there. However, they are selling for near double that it similar condition. That's crazy.

DAIadvisor
03-18-2012, 16:03
Good collector piece for sure.

bac1023
03-18-2012, 16:22
Good collector piece for sure.

No doubt

Great shooter too :cool:

oldnoob
03-18-2012, 19:19
That's hell of deal. The best deal I have ever seem was in a gun show went for $890 without mags nor box. I wish I live in different state.

bac1023
03-18-2012, 20:05
That's hell of deal. The best deal I have ever seem was in a gun show went for $890 without mags nor box. I wish I live in different state.

I'd go crazy living in CA.

bsg1
03-18-2012, 20:30
an accurate, high quality semi auto. i remember when it came out in the late 1980s. it's biggest flaw perceived by the gun buying public was price. but what is too much, when you are buying quality? i was tempted even back then... and picked up another Sig P226 instead.

thanks for the heads up.

bac1023
03-18-2012, 20:44
an accurate, high quality semi auto. i remember when it came out in the late 1980s. it's biggest flaw perceived by the gun buying public was price. but what is too much, when you are buying quality? i was tempted even back then... and picked up another Sig P226 instead.

thanks for the heads up.

Yeah, they were very expensive back then as well, which is why they never really "took off". Its also why you don't se many around today.

bsg1
03-18-2012, 21:41
Yeah, they were very expensive back then as well, which is why they never really "took off". Its also why you don't se many around today.

if my memory serves me well... the Walther came out a little late during the "Wonder Nine" craze period. by the time the P88 was available... other gun companies already had "high capacity" models on the market that had a loyal customer base/following. by the time the P88 came out, folks were wanting a compact version of whatever full sized wonder nine they personally embraced and already owned; wanting a smaller, compact version that could have loads of rounds stuffed into it and be easily concealed. they weren't wanting to swap out what they already had for another full sized wonder nine. they wanted something new. this of course, leads to an entirely different discussion.

the high price tag of the P88 heightened the reluctance of the gun buying public to adopt it. the offerings by Beretta, Glock, Sig and other gun companies had pretty much already put a lock on the market that the Walther was trying to enter.

my subjective opinion is that the inability of the P88 to overcome the adversity of being the latecomer, combined with the gun being a very high quality offering that was unaffordable to many... led to it's status of being a desirable collectable in years to come. there was never any argument regarding the quality of the P88; good stuff then, and good stuff now.

bac1023
03-19-2012, 04:44
if my memory serves me well... the Walther came out a little late during the "Wonder Nine" craze period. by the time the P88 was available... other gun companies already had "high capacity" models out that had a loyal customer base/following. by the time the P88 came out, folks were wanting a compact version of whatever full sized wonder nine they personally embraced and already owned; wanting a smaller, compact version that could have loads of rounds stuffed into it and be easily concealed. they weren't wanting to swap out what they already had for another full sized wonder nine. they wanted something new. this of course, leads to an entirely different discussion. the high price tag of the P88 heightened the reluctance of the gun buying public to adopt it.

my subjective opinion is that the inability of the P88 to overcome the adversity of being the latecomer, combined with the gun being a very high quality offering that was unaffordable to many... led to it's status of a highly desirable collectable later. there was never any argument regarding the quality of the P88; good stuff then, and good stuff now.

Yeah, it was more viewed as a high end pistol even when it was introduced, rather than a simple combat pistol.

schild
03-19-2012, 04:49
There must be more to this story, the gun is at Cabela's, and Cabela's doesn't sell anything cheap...........:wavey:

bsg1
03-19-2012, 05:09

03-19-2012, 14:30
There must be more to this story, the gun is at Cabela's, and Cabela's doesn't sell anything cheap...........:wavey:
I tend to agree with this. The gun pics make it look to be in excellent condition, but for only $650? a P88? Like others said, you don't get an excellent condition P88 for less than $900 to a grand these days.
Anyway, I contacted the seller for info, and "it's been sold".

bac1023
03-19-2012, 17:54
I tend to agree with this. The gun pics make it look to be in excellent condition, but for only $650? a P88? Like others said, you don't get an excellent condition P88 for less than $900 to a grand these days.
Anyway, I contacted the seller for info, and "it's been sold".

I thought it may have sold. I don't care for GI or GA because they don't run live auctions.