Ruger LCR Concern [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ruger LCR Concern

Grimson
03-18-2012, 13:11
I just got my new Ruger LCR .357 on the 15th, took it to the range on the 16th to put it through its paces. I decided to start out with some Winchester 125gn fmj. The first shot seemed rather stout for a typically soft shooting target round. I shot about 20 rounds before deciding to step up to some Remington 125gn .357.
Now, I am not new to shooting .357 out of small frame guns. I expected wicked recoil, but what I didn't expect was the feeling of a metal bat being swung full on at my right hand! I was only able to shoot about 20 of these before ending my session.
Accuracy was like a shotgun. I knew something just wasn't right here.
When I got home, I took a closer look at the fired cases and noticed that on about every one out of 2-3 cases, there were fractures near the case head right about beneath where the extracting star sits on the cylinder. Even the soft .38's had the same splits. I noticed on the cases that didn't split, a fine line like a scratch can be seen exactly where the splits appear on the split cases.
What could be going on here and what should I do? This is a brand new gun. Should I call Ruger or just take it back to the shop. This thing feels like a grenade waiting to go off. This totally sucks!!
Could a problem like this have an effect on recoil and accuracy?

Pecos Bill
03-19-2012, 07:48
"This thing feels like a grenade waiting to go off. This totally sucks!!
Could a problem like this have an effect on recoil and accuracy, or am I just a weaker shooter than I thought I was?"

Split cases are BAD. I recommend not shooting it any more. Take it back to the dealer with samples of the split casings. They may exchange it or not be able to help you but should at least offer to send it in for you. Sounds like it was over bored a tiny bit causing big issues.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Grimson
04-15-2012, 11:20
Brought LCR back to the shop along with some samples of the split cases. They sent it back to Ruger the next day. About 2 weeks later it was back at the shop. Ruger replaced the cylinder and extractor. Took it to the range and fired about 60 .357 rounds (various handloads, some factory remington 125) problem solved!! No split cases at all.

NMG26
04-15-2012, 11:29
Cool.

Mine is not 357 mag, but it is +p .38 spec.

Think I will take it out and shoot it today!

Texas357
04-15-2012, 21:14
Brought LCR back to the shop along with some samples of the split cases. They sent it back to Ruger the next day. About 2 weeks later it was back at the shop. Ruger replaced the cylinder and extractor. Took it to the range and fired about 60 .357 rounds (various handloads, some factory remington 125) problem solved!! No split cases at all.

Thanks for the update.

mfm9
04-16-2012, 08:20
Funny you should say that about shooting .357 in the LCR. I had the exact same thought about the baseball bat to the palm after shooting mine. I didn't notice any split cases, but I'll be sure to check closely for that the next time. Thanks for the heads up!

-Mike

ca survivor
04-16-2012, 12:48
the more I read about new model guns, the more I hang to my old ones.

ChiefWPD
04-20-2012, 14:02
Firing high intensity rounds out of lightweight handguns is counterproductive. The old physics law of for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction will get you every time. My personal preference from either lightweight J-frame S&W handguns or the LCR Ruger I own is to use the Buffalo Bore 150 grain wadcutter loads.

TSAX
04-20-2012, 15:13
the more I read about new model guns, the more I hang to my old ones.

Yeah, sometimes its depressing hearing stories of issues with new guns and although this isnt the case with every gun, I like to wait a bit and see if there are any kinks to be worked out. I like the size and feel of the LCR but didnt like the trigger.

:50cal:

up1911fan
04-21-2012, 14:37
Your the first person i've heard say they didn't like the trigger on the LCR.

beaversgs
04-27-2012, 14:03
I'm a big fan of full wad cutters and lead hollow points out of lightweight snubbies as well. Don't really see the advantage of +P or .357 out of a lightweight snubbie, personally.

GregB