Bought a Walther PPQ & Beretta Nano Yesterday [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bought a Walther PPQ & Beretta Nano Yesterday

hsprincipal
03-18-2012, 16:13
Went to Bud's yesterday and ended up buying the PPQ and Nano. Tested the Nano today and love it except for the extremely heavy and long trigger pull. The trigger will take some getting use to, but I was very pleased with this little beauty. Walther is up next. I can already tell that I'm going to love the trigger on it.

barth
03-18-2012, 16:17
Went to Bud's yesterday and ended up buying the PPQ and Nano. Tested the Nano today and love it except for the extremely heavy and long trigger pull. The trigger will take some getting use to, but I was very pleased with this little beauty. Walther is up next. I can already tell that I'm going to love the trigger on it.

Everyone needs to stop buying and posting range reports on Walther PPQs - please...
http://www.tanfo.de/0_wa/PPQ_01_0013.jpg

Rooster Rugburn
03-18-2012, 16:35
A word. of caution about that PPQ.

First, wrap your fingers, hand, wrist, arm, and elbow like a NFL lineman so the monster recoil and muzzle flip caused by the extremely high bore axis won't tear your arm off, or remove parts at the joints.

Second. If you shoot at a range with a table\bench, kneel under the bench and hold the pistol against the bottom so it will help control the massive and uncontrollable muzzle flip caused by the extremely high bore axis. But be careful, you won't be able to shoot but a few rounds before the bench tears apart, and most ranges make you pay for damages and repairs.

Third. Wear a helmet. It's not uncommon for the massive muzzle flip from the extremely high bore axis to drive the top of the slide backward in an arc and into your skull. There have been numerous incidents where people were killed and knocked unconscious by the uncontrollable muzzle flip caused by the extremely high bore axis.

Four. You better hope you got it in 9mm and not 40SW. But I guess you couldn't get a 40SW since Walther had to recall the 40SW because of the carnage associated with shooting one, due to the extremely high bore axis. The cost of medical bills associated with shooting a PPQ typically makes it not worth it.

Otherwise, have fun.

Cpl_Siggy
03-18-2012, 16:41

First, wrap your fingers, hand, wrist, arm, and elbow like a NFL lineman so the monster recoil and muzzle flip caused by the extremely high bore axis won't tear your arm off, or remove parts at the joints.

Second. If you shoot at a range with a table\bench, kneel under the bench and hold the pistol against the bottom so it will help control the massive and uncontrollable muzzle flip caused by the extremely high bore axis. But be careful, you won't be able to shoot but a few rounds before the bench tears apart, and most ranges make you pay for damages and repairs.

Third. Wear a helmet. It's not uncommon for the massive muzzle flip from the extremely high bore axis to drive the top of the slide backward in an arc and into your skull. There have been numerous incidents where people were killed and knocked unconscious by the uncontrollable muzzle flip caused by the extremely high bore axis.

Four. You better hope you got it in 9mm and not 40SW. But I guess you couldn't get a 40SW since Walther had to recall the 40SW because of the carnage associated with shooting one, due to the extremely high bore axis. The cost of medical bills associated with shooting a PPQ typically makes it not worth it.

Otherwise, have fun.

^^^
So, you're saying the bore axis is too high? ;)

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

bac1023
03-18-2012, 17:02
Congrats! :cool:

sigman69
03-18-2012, 18:40
congrats on the two new guns.

Hokiegrass
03-18-2012, 19:01

Otherwise, have fun.

Also, wear a life preserver if you are anywhere near water, the recoil will force you in.

Be sure to install an airbag on the striker plate, to cushion the blow of the pistol against your forehead, after each shot

bac1023
03-18-2012, 19:02
If I ever buy another polymer pistol, there's a good chance it will be the PPQ.

That's a big "if" though.

ctfireman
03-18-2012, 19:04
You think the nano trigger is that heavy? I think it's great compared to most of it's competitors.

Ruggles
03-18-2012, 19:18

The darn thing is tempting. If I buy a non 1911 handgun the PPQ is towards the top of the list. I am thinking a new gun this week but not sure what. :dunno:

Glock40man
03-18-2012, 19:47
Congrats!:cool:

Otherwise, have fun.

:rofl:

sappy13
03-18-2012, 19:52
Im going to a gun show next weekend and im gona look for a ppq. Iv read about them, but am yet to actually hold one.

hsprincipal
03-18-2012, 20:34

Otherwise, have fun.

I did buy the .40. I will take precautions. :whistling:

neby98
03-18-2012, 20:40

Otherwise, have fun.

So you've shot one without injuring yourself?

Folsom_Prison
03-18-2012, 23:24
Congrats on the new pieces!

March817
03-19-2012, 00:06

Otherwise, have fun.

In the mean streets we learned to deal with an extremely high bore axis by rotating our grip 90 degrees to the center. This transforms a extremely high bore axis into a hella wide bore axis. Problem solved.

hsprincipal
03-19-2012, 05:19
You think the nano trigger is that heavy? I think it's great compared to most of it's competitors.

Well I may have overstated it a tad, but it is quite heavy.

hsprincipal
03-19-2012, 05:20
So you've shot one without injuring yourself?

Can't be any worse than the 27 and that's my favorite carry gun.

P99er
03-19-2012, 10:22

Otherwise, have fun.

I always try to have an ACLS ambulance standing by.

P99er
03-19-2012, 10:22
In the mean streets we learned to deal with an extremely high bore axis by rotating our grip 90 degrees to the center. This transforms a extremely high bore axis into a hella wide bore axis. Problem solved.

Doesn't that hurt innocent bystanders?

March817
03-19-2012, 12:20
Doesn't that hurt innocent bystanders?
Not nearly as much as sarcasm.

Rooster Rugburn
03-19-2012, 15:25
Not nearly as much as sarcasm.

Au contraire mon ami.

Homie tried that at a local range, and it paralyzed another shooter. Homie was in his bird man night sights stance, and when he pulled the trigger, the incredible side bore axis swung him around very violently, and the slide hit a cat right across the thoracic vertebrae, dislodged it, pinched and tore the spinal cord leaving the bystander paralyzed.

Sarcasm doesn't leave you in a wheelchair my man.

Ban the PPQ!!! For the inexperienced shooter.

SGT_Calle
03-19-2012, 16:24
Au contraire mon ami.

Homie tried that at a local range, and it paralyzed another shooter. Homie was in his bird man night sights stance, and when he pulled the trigger, the incredible side bore axis swung him around very violently, and the slide hit a cat right across the thoracic vertebrae, dislodged it, pinched and tore the spinal cord leaving the bystander paralyzed.

Sarcasm doesn't leave you in a wheelchair my man.

Ban the PPQ!!! For the inexperienced shooter.

Dang.

45caldan
03-19-2012, 16:50

It should be your next pistol....PERIOD.
At least try to find one to shoot somewhere, then you will want one!
Lazzer accurate and easy to stay on target....despite "the terrible recoil" :whistling:

Metal Angel
03-19-2012, 17:31
The bore axis doesn't really look any higher than a glock, and it definately looks lower than a Sig, XD, HK.

stpatzer
03-20-2012, 01:08
For my input, i have heard some pretty cool things about the ppq. The high bore axis is something i havent heard of yet. I recently got a polymer handgun, it was between the ppq and the sr9. I chose the sr9 and instantly fell in love. Only a few hundred rounds through it so far, but no misfires, jams or other malfunctions of any kind!

Morgo
03-20-2012, 05:10
I picked one up recently, haven't had time to shoot it yet though it does have the best trigger of any polymer pistol I've tried.

http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp4/brycemorgan452/IMG_4087.jpg

Queen Bee
03-20-2012, 08:12
only problem i see with the PPQ is the cost of MAGS!

seriously who wants to spend 50 dollars per mag??

X72
03-20-2012, 08:57
Magnum Research sells a magazine that is made in the same Italian factory as the Walther branded magazine. Search for MAGFA915 . They are blued steel instead of matte black, and they have a black follower instead of an orange follower. Those magazines run about $32 . Because of the lower price, the have been selling out quickly when they become available.

The FA stands for Fast Action. The magazines that are NOT Fast Action are not the same. Check the Walther forums for pictures if you are interested.

By the way, I am a new shooter and I have a 3GEN Glock 17 and a PPQ in 9mm. For me, the recoil impulse is more pleasant on the Glock; I notice less muzzle flip on the Glock 17 vs. the PPQ. For me, the PPQ has a nicer trigger, and the PPQ does not hit me with brass like the Glock occasionally does. My Glock was made late 2011.

45caldan
03-20-2012, 09:54
Magnum Research sells a magazine that is made in the same Italian factory as the Walther branded magazine. Search for MAGFA915 . They are blued steel instead of matte black, and they have a black follower instead of an orange follower. Those magazines run about $32 . Because of the lower price, the have been selling out quickly when they become available.
This is absolutely true. I have 3 Magnum Research mags and they work perfect for almost $20 less!

Rooster Rugburn
03-20-2012, 14:10
only problem i see with the PPQ is the cost of MAGS!

seriously who wants to spend 50 dollars per mag??

Nobody "wants" to. We just do. I'm lucky in that when I bought my first PPQ, I went though my P99 mags and found that they are the newer type that do work in the PPQ. I'm not taking a dremel to a Walther mag.

That's the budget K-Mart blue light shopper angle that gives Glock an automatic edge. And there is nothing wrong with that. I'm glad there is a pistol of Glocks relative quality at that price. That means a lot more people are able to afford them.

A $50 mag is like flying first class. When you can afford it, it's worth it.

hsprincipal
03-21-2012, 16:56
Put 50 rounds through my PPQ today and loved it. Yes the recoil was a bit of a surprise, but it was quiet manageable. The trigger on this thing is fantastic and the accuracy outstanding. I would recommend to anyone.

Also put another 75 rounds through the Nano. Total to date is 125 (100 Tulammo and 25 Hydrashocks). This one is a keeper as well. Still getting used to the long trigger pull, but I like it.

Rooster Rugburn
03-21-2012, 17:27
Thank goodness you are alright. The PPQ is leaving a bloody trail of limbless shooters all across the nation.

hsprincipal
03-21-2012, 17:33
Thank goodness you are alright. The PPQ is leaving a bloody trail of limbless shooters all across the nation.

:rofl: do people really think its that bad? It is stout but I didn't think it was as bad as my Glock 27.

Rooster Rugburn
03-21-2012, 17:37
One poster here is afraid to shoot that pistol.

hsprincipal
03-21-2012, 18:40
Must be a noob. lol

Sporaticus
03-21-2012, 20:00

I was reading an article in Glockfanboys Illustrated that said the PPQ has removed more limbs than IEDs.

45caldan
03-22-2012, 04:01
All this talk about the PPQs "recoil" is pure internet BS.
I had a G26 before I got my PPQ and I promise you the PPQ is much easier to shoot!
I also shot .45 ACP most of my adult life and think 9mm and recoil do not go together!
Will an all steel 9mm (like a CZ75) be less snappy?....duh....but the PPQ is no .44 magnum folks!

hsprincipal
03-22-2012, 17:02
So I put another 50 down the pipe of my PPQ. I had two failure to feeds on the 3rd round of my first magazine and the 10th round of my second magazine. I was shooting from a ziploc bag of assorted rounds of Federal Champion and WWB. I have yet to clean, but will tonight. That's 100 rounds with 2 FTFs. Not concerned though, I think I should have followed the instructions and cleaned out of the box, which I usually do. Just too anxious to get it out and shoot.

hsprincipal
03-22-2012, 17:04
All this talk about the PPQs "recoil" is pure internet BS.
I had a G26 before I got my PPQ and I promise you the PPQ is much easier to shoot!
I also shot .45 ACP most of my adult life and think 9mm and recoil do not go together!
Will an all steel 9mm (like a CZ75) be less snappy?....duh....but the PPQ is no .44 magnum folks!

My PPQ is the .40 and while is does have some recoil it's not anything that's not manageable and makes up for with a great trigger and bullseye accuracy. I would recommend this one to anybody. :cool:

Tiro Fijo
03-22-2012, 17:16
I picked one up recently, haven't had time to shoot it yet though it does have the best trigger of any polymer pistol I've tried...

Out of curiousity, what did the PPQ cost in Australia?

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
03-23-2012, 08:53
Two guns on 1 trip?

Congrats! Now you are on "the list" :rofl:

hsprincipal
03-23-2012, 16:43
Two guns on 1 trip?

Congrats! Now you are on "the list" :rofl:

A buddy of mine told me the same thing. What do you have to do to make the list? I have CCW so that just file my paperwork and don't do a background check.

Morgo
03-23-2012, 18:44
Out of curiousity, what did the PPQ cost in Australia?

I paid $1000, I've seen them listed for over $1300 but the norm is around the $1000-1100 range.

Spare mags are $100 each :)

Think I'll wait till they are more availble over there and ship a few here. $100 for a Mecgar mag is just crazy.

hsprincipal
03-23-2012, 18:48
I paid $1000, I've seen them listed for over $1300 but the norm is around the $1000-1100 range.

Spare mags are $100 each :)

Think I'll wait till they are more availble over there and ship a few here. $100 for a Mecgar mag is just crazy.

Is that a $1000 US dollars. Mine was $508. That's incredible to me.

Morgo
03-23-2012, 18:51
Is that a $1000 US dollars. Mine was $508. That's incredible to me.

Nope, $1000 AU so more like $1050 US :)

hsprincipal
03-23-2012, 18:58
Nope, $1000 AU so more like $1050 US :)

Wow!!! That's incredible. What are your gun laws like there? Can you conceal carry? Do you have to register all your firearms?

Morgo
03-23-2012, 19:13
Laws are pretty crappy but we get by. No CCW and yes all firearms are registered and stored in safes at home when not in use. For handguns you have to be a member of a club and shoot atleast 6 times a year. Basically no semi auto rifles and there are other restricitons on handguns as well like cal, mag cap & barrel lenngth.

Seminoles
03-23-2012, 21:39

:D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

FLglockdude
03-24-2012, 07:57

:rofl: