Protection at a range and transit from a vehicle. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Protection at a range and transit from a vehicle.

CDR_Glock
03-18-2012, 20:37
Mas

I bring this up because I suspect people don't think about this. Where I live is safe. I leave nothing to chance. It takes one crazed person and you wonder how it ever could happen in Town X. Look at the news and a crazed worker or jealous lover rampages a workplace. A range or gun store is like any other place. There are people and people have problems.

Where I used to shoot in Florida had little in terms of safety, in my opinion. Flagrant acts like shooting the wall or ceilings, at a range. Additionally, seeing some suspicious looking individuals browsing at guns watching patrons carry their own firearms to shoot.

Because of some of these behaviors, I think it's prudent to shoot at a safer place. I also believe its important to wear a ballistic vest in case of a negligent discharge. I don't know the level of training of people in the lane next to me. I also carry a concealed firearm that I don't even take out, just as every other place I frequent legally.

Bare minimum if someone has a backup magazine always loaded, or a second loaded gun while reloading, I feel is prudent.

Walking back to the parking lot with 1911s, a Sig Sauer and XD pistols unarmed wouldn't exactly be a wise decision without carrying your own gun concealed ready to use, if necessary. Certainly, situational awareness is critical. Seeing a group of goons in a parking lot, you can easily turn right back around into the shop or if accosted, retreat to a safe spot behind a vehicle, too.

I belong to a private club of experienced shooters and I'm not concerned about my fellow members. I am concerned if someone decides to trespass. I do carry since frequently, I am alone in the area. I will assess the range to see if I'm truly alone, too. As I hang another target, I have a loaded gun on me, but I am not concerned about leaving a gun on the table. If someone will take it, I don't intend to stop them. If I get attacked, then that's a different story.

What are your thoughts regarding safety in a range, and to/from a range, to protect his or herself?

iPad/Tapatalk

Mas Ayoob
03-19-2012, 07:08
There have been cases of people being killed for their guns at remote clubs and informal ranges, usually with sparse attendance and no witnesses, and of people being followed home from ranges and robbed in their driveway for their guns.

We carry in the supermarket, the coffee shop, and everywhere else...why WOULDN'T it make sense to have a loaded gun on when at the range, or going to and from?

best,
Mas