Sent a pistol to Smith and Wesson [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sent a pistol to Smith and Wesson

3000fps
03-18-2012, 23:35
Sent one of my M&P pistols back to Smith and Wesson 3 days ago, (counting past midnight)

Has anyone ever sent a handgun back to S&W for repair, how was your experience?

They sent me a shipping label for free, which was a bonus. Also the gun I sent in for repair I bought used, but it's in new condition.

Will S&W notify me via email, fed ex brings it to my door? I shipped it Fed Ex

Steve in PA
03-19-2012, 01:33
I had to send my 6906 back to S&W. Don't recall getting any email, but it was sent back to me promptly.

oldsoldier
03-19-2012, 04:57
I sent them a 1911 to fix an extractor issue becasue the brass would hit me in the head. They fixed it and had it back in about 2 weeks. I don't recall an email telling me it was on the way back.

ArmoryDoc
03-19-2012, 07:22
I just got my 686 back from them last week. Sent me a mailing label prepaid. Gun was back in 2 1/2 weeks for a problem with the finish. Gun came back with another small finish blemish (they caused it while fixing the first) which should not have been overlooked. I fixed it myself with compund. They did NOT send an email that it was enroute. FEDEX just shows up at your door asking for signature.

I give them a "C-" on work performed.

itstime
03-19-2012, 07:42
No emails. Great customer service.

AA#5
03-19-2012, 07:48
I sent a S&W 500 & an older "80's Mod. 629 to S&W, both with timing problems. Both repaired & sent back promptly. The 629 wasn't under warranty & the cost was very reasonable.

TX expat
03-19-2012, 07:52
Yup a few years back I shipped my then 13 year old Sigma back to S&W due to light strike misfires. They sent me a prepaid FedEx label and had it back to me in less than two weeks. FedEx will deliver it right to your door.

I give S&W kudos for customer service, for sure!

03-19-2012, 08:01
I give them an A+ on the Cust service.

I wrote them on 03/16/11
Got a free shipping label and sent my gun out on the 22nd. The delay was my fault.
Got an e-mail on 04/13 saying the package was sent out.
Received the morning of the 15 after my gun travelled the east coast.

Fixed the problem of a few cylinders feeling "sticky" and replaced a screw that I lost.

Total bill $0.00 and without my gun for 22 days.....but I had others.

cowboy1964
03-19-2012, 08:10
I don't think I received an email stating it was coming back. From my experience and reading about others', they are very consistent most of the time in getting it back to you about exactly 10 days after they receive it.

Knighj1
03-19-2012, 08:16
I just did this in January, sent my little 22 in, they sent me a bill n the mail of what needed to be fixed, I called and paid for It, they did the work and sent it back. For some reason it took from Monday until Friday for it to make it to the shipping building(this also aggregated the person I spoke with as well). Overall took 4-6 weeks, but that was first of the year, it maybe quicker now

Bruce M
03-19-2012, 08:18
I sent my M&P to them a while back. It was returned in less than two weeks repaired and the trigger was appreciably better. No email.

3000fps
03-19-2012, 10:51
Thanks for the replies everyone, when I went to bed there were 0 replies and I came on now and there were 10! I'll let you guys know how long it took and if they fixed it properly. It was an issue that could have cost me my life if I hadn't decided to dry fire practice with the gun first before carrying it.

Ahmid
03-20-2012, 05:48
Great service....

vafish
03-20-2012, 06:08
About 2 weeks from phone call to the gun back in my hands.

That was to rebarrel a 64.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Jason D
03-20-2012, 17:21
I have had several worked on.
They have paid the freight every time. They actually gave me their FedEx account number.
All guns have come back and I have been happy every time.

HKLovingIT
03-20-2012, 17:33
My revolver was in a couple weeks but I think one week of that was the dealer waiting around to ship it. No updates from Smith but when it came back everything was fixed up right and no charge for repairs or shipping.

PlasticGuy
03-20-2012, 18:31
I had to send one of their 1911's back. Downside is that it had to go back twice. It was having 2-3 malfunctions per magazine with Federal and Winchester 230 grain fmj, both before and after the first trip in for repair. That was disappointing. They did get it working after the second repair attempt. Good news is that communication was excellent, and repairs were completed in just a few weeks each time.

rickbaales
03-21-2012, 06:23
+1 for AAA S&W customer service. You are good to go.

clancy
03-21-2012, 06:34
S&W's customer service is outstanding. I had to send my 6906 back for repair, and within a week they sent me a brand new one. After sending that one back for the same problem, it too was replaced, again within a week. No questions asked, no problems, and great service.

I wish I could say the same about their Quality Control Department.

Edmo01
03-21-2012, 09:45
S&W's customer service is outstanding. I had to send my 6906 back for repair, and within a week they sent me a brand new one. After sending that one back for the same problem, it too was replaced, again within a week. No questions asked, no problems, and great service.

I wish I could say the same about their Quality Control Department.

Same experience with one of the new 38 special 5 shot "Bodyguard" revolvers...

They quickly turned the gun around and got it back to me. FEDEX to my door. I just wish they had made it functional!

Now waiting on a replacement gun after the second time back. I opted to change to a different model of snubbie since they couldn't get the first model (BG38) to work.

Customer service is quick and efficient. The quality control in production and repair is lacking. I'm just hoping the replacement gun isn't a Monday or Friday production.

Edmo

clancy
03-21-2012, 10:54
From experience, I don't know how S&W stays in business. I bought my first Smith, a Model 19, in 1978. It would freeze up when firing magnum loads, you could not open the cylinder, pull the trigger, or pull the hammer back. Smith fixed it, no questions asked. In 1983 a friend bought a Model 19, the same problem, in 1988 another friend bought a Model 19, again the same problem. How a company could keep producing a pistol without fixing the problem for that long is beyond my comprehension. In 89 or 90 I bought the 6906, it broke before I got the first mag through it. A week later S&W replaced it, again, it broke, this time I think I got 2 mags through it. Again, a week later I got a replacement, which I traded for another pistol without even firing it. In the late 80's, the police force in the town I used to live in switched from Model 19's to Smith auto's. I don't recall what model, but after having every one sent back to Smith a total of 3 times, the whole police force was threatening to quit before they switched to Sigs.

I have read that the new Smith auto's are much better, but having heard that mantra from Smith and Wesson for decades now, I have to remain skeptical. That being said, my favorite pistol is my Model 25. I shoot it better than any pistol I have ever shot. I only had to send it back to S&W to be repaired once.

triggerjerk
03-21-2012, 11:17
I'd give them an F-

I sent a M41 to them twice. They failed to fix it twice.
Mismatched slide to frame fit that would make a Taurus builder embarassed apparently
is fine for SW. They also couldn't find anything wrong with a trigger that randomly failed to reset.

3000fps
03-24-2012, 11:58
It's been 8 days and still no pistol. This freaking sucks, It's like having a child away at camp :( LOL

itstime
03-24-2012, 12:00
It's been 8 days and still no pistol. This freaking sucks, It's like having a child away at camp :( LOL

You need more kids then! :)

robotoid
03-24-2012, 19:34
I sent mine in about a week ago. Few days ago I had a letter acknowledging they had it and expect a 2-3 week turnaround. We'll see.

cphilip
03-24-2012, 20:47
My local gun store just shipped one back for me Friday (if it went out as they thought it di that is). Will have to let you know how it all turns out.

bigcountry31987
03-24-2012, 21:33
my dad had one of those real old 7 shot sigma 9mm it was like a sub compact. we were shooting it one day and the polymer frame broke right at the pin in the grip there. my dad sent it into smith and wesson and they sent him back BRAND new m&p 9c FOR FREE. all shipping paid by S&W basically upgraded him to a MUCH better firearm and more expensive as well no questions asked. S&W is a great company!!!!!!!!!!!!

edit: when i say 7 shot i mean the mag capacity was 7....im a little sleepy lol

3000fps
03-30-2012, 14:28
Still no sign of the gun, it's been two weeks now so I sent them an email. They probably think i'm a PITA! LOL

ArmoryDoc
03-30-2012, 15:21
Just be patient. Forget about it. It's being dealt with and you'll soon get it back in your hands. :)

TSAX
03-30-2012, 17:00
It's like having a child away at camp :( LOL

Thats not always a bad thing, some peace and quiet and some "personal time" with the wifey around the house. :supergrin:

:50cal:

HKLovingIT
03-30-2012, 17:59
Still no sign of the gun, it's been two weeks now so I sent them an email. They probably think i'm a PITA! LOL

Hehe relax. S&W will take good care of you. :wavey: