People who have carried a 30 and 36... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : People who have carried a 30 and 36...

Inebriated
03-18-2012, 23:44
Have you found any significant difference in comfort between the 36 and the 30? I am looking for my first carry gun, and I'm wondering if the 36 the 36 offers any advantage as far as comfort, to make the 4 less rounds worth it? The 30 has more pros than cons (uses mags from my 21, has a more full grip, and has more capacity with it's standard mags), but I don't want to rule out the 36 is it makes carrying any better.

Input is appreciated!

MikeG36
03-18-2012, 23:56
I don't have a 30 but I carry a 19 and a 36. I can tell you that the 36 is more comfortable to me and I'm not particularly worried about having less rounds. I have a spare mag or two if I needed. Having said that, the 36 is not my EDC at this point - the thicker grip 19 is.

Inebriated
03-19-2012, 00:05
Guess I should have said 19/23/30 lol...

But you don't feel a big difference in size?

MikeG36
03-19-2012, 00:16
Guess I should have said 19/23/30 lol...

But you don't feel a big difference in size?

Yes but, to me it's not a big deal. (6'3 and 225) To you, it could be. The slide is almost the same. The 36 grip is slightly shorter and way thinner making for better comfort / concealment. Go handle both and see which one works better for you.

Inebriated
03-19-2012, 01:21
Yes but, to me it's not a big deal. (6'3 and 225) To you, it could be. The slide is almost the same. The 36 grip is slightly shorter and way thinner making for better comfort / concealment. Go handle both and see which one works better for you.

Yeah, 6'1' 250 here...I could conceal the 21 if it weren't for the longer grip. Both guns feel good to me, so obviously I'll go for the higher capacity, but yeah, it sounds like the 36 doesn't offer much benefit for me.

ZO6Vettever
03-19-2012, 02:53
The 36 is 1.13 wide and the 30 is 1.27. 1/8" isn't much differance, 4 rounds could be a world of differance.

TxGlock9
03-19-2012, 03:12
Comparing my 19,23,32 to my 36 when I used to have one, the 36 is a lot easier to conceal.

vafish
03-19-2012, 04:58
The 36 is 1.13 wide and the 30 is 1.27. 1/8" isn't much differance, 4 rounds could be a world of differance.

Your choice of holster could make more of a difference.

A g36 with a thick leather holster that has the belt loops over the gun will be thicker overall then a g30 in a thin kydex holster with widely spaced belt loops.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Pred8tory
03-19-2012, 05:20
I found the 36 grip to be uncomfortable. It's thin, but "long". It seemed unnatural. It's a personal choice. The reason I no longer own a 36 was reliability issues. I find the 30sf to be perfect for me.

istricky
03-19-2012, 05:34
I would not recommend a Glock as a first carry gun. Get alot of practice shooting and move into a Glock when your shooting skills get more skilled. Just my opinion. Would not trust a unskilled shooter with a Glock.

hunter 111
03-19-2012, 07:05
you are thinking about it wrong
what you should be asking yourself is a 36 or a 19

there is no reliability issue with either of mine

the 30 is just to big realistically speaking although I am sure some do it

hunter 111
03-19-2012, 07:09

big enough difference

talk about loaded weight now

7 rounds is enough in a real world most all gun fights are over in a second or less

Bruce M
03-19-2012, 07:10
I would not recommend a Glock as a first carry gun. Get alot of practice shooting and move into a Glock when your shooting skills get more skilled. Just my opinion. Would not trust a unskilled shooter with a Glock.

Out of curiosity what gun have you had good results with with new shooters?

I have handled both and decided the G36 wasn't that thinner so I went with the G30.

whitey4311
03-19-2012, 07:10

:dunno:

The exact opposite.

linkscoach
03-19-2012, 08:33
OP,

The biggest difference in my opinion isn't the size but the weight. I carry a G30 comfortably with a good belt. It is however much heavier than a G36. When you carry a 30 you are going to know it's there. The 36 on the other hand is easy to forget about.

If you are looking for a pistol that will be your only carry weapon the G36 wins IMO. You'll be more likely to carry the 36 because it is so much lighter.

The other issue is carrying a spare magazine. A double stack mag full of .45 is very thick, and also very heavy.

One final opinion since I seem to be full of them today. Round count is not important if the weapon of choice is to uncomfortable for you to carry all the time every day. In my experience lighter and smaller is better for someone new to CC.

Both are fine weapons just be realistic with yourself and buy the one that you know you will use.

Have you found any significant difference in comfort between the 36 and the 30? I am looking for my first carry gun, and I'm wondering if the 36 the 36 offers any advantage as far as comfort, to make the 4 less rounds worth it? The 30 has more pros than cons (uses mags from my 21, has a more full grip, and has more capacity with it's standard mags), but I don't want to rule out the 36 is it makes carrying any better.

Input is appreciated!

bcj128
03-19-2012, 09:06
I had a G36, but sold it...

Currently I carry a G19, G21 Gen4, or a LC9. I sometimes regret selling the G36, but yu can only have so many guns on my income. Recoil on the G36 was much more harsh compared to its bigger brother (G21).

dango
03-19-2012, 09:32

I remember when six rnds. was enough.The G36 , 6+1 230 grn. JHP , Hell one shoulder hit will knock you on you're ass. I also carry an extra mag and I don't plan on hanging out in East LA.!
How many rounds do people feel comfortable with , just in general?

MikeG36
03-19-2012, 09:45
I should add that the G36 is my favorite CCW weapon as far as comfort and concealment IMO it can't be beat. If capacity is an issue for you then, the G30 might be a better choice. I carry the G19 but the G36 is still my favorite.

BTW, The grip profile doesn't feel strange to me at all. I find it very natural and I shoot the 36 very well because of that.

ATW525
03-19-2012, 09:51
I've owned and carried both. I owned the 36 first, and then got the 30 and at first it didn't seem that much more difficult to carry. After carrying the 30 for a while, I went back to the 36 on a whim one day. I was amazed at how much easily the 36 seemed to carry when going back, and I quickly sold the 30.

In fairness, I don't have the 36 anymore, either, because I moved away from .45 ACP.

BamaTrooper
03-19-2012, 09:54
OP,

The biggest difference in my opinion isn't the size but the weight. ...

I have found that the 30 is slightly butt heavier than the 36 and that when carried at the same height (same position on belt in the same style holster) it carries a little less comfortable for me.

Inebriated
03-19-2012, 10:21
You guys have me all worried about weight, now. I think I'd be fine with a 30, but the thought of the weight differences is making me reconsider. I really should just ask which I'll get first, I guess.

That's sort of my thinking as well...
First carry gun =/= first gun. I've been shooting for years, and I've been shooting Glocks for a lot of that time. So I'm quite familiar with Glocks. I'm just turning 21 this summer.

you are thinking about it wrong
what you should be asking yourself is a 36 or a 19

there is no reliability issue with either of mine

the 30 is just to big realistically speaking although I am sure some do it

Like I said, I could conceal a 21 if the grip wasn't so long. Thickness isn't an issue as far as pure ability to conceal... but the comfort of it.

OP,

The biggest difference in my opinion isn't the size but the weight. I carry a G30 comfortably with a good belt. It is however much heavier than a G36. When you carry a 30 you are going to know it's there. The 36 on the other hand is easy to forget about.

If you are looking for a pistol that will be your only carry weapon the G36 wins IMO. You'll be more likely to carry the 36 because it is so much lighter.

The other issue is carrying a spare magazine. A double stack mag full of .45 is very thick, and also very heavy.

One final opinion since I seem to be full of them today. Round count is not important if the weapon of choice is to uncomfortable for you to carry all the time every day. In my experience lighter and smaller is better for someone new to CC.

Both are fine weapons just be realistic with yourself and buy the one that you know you will use.
There seems to be too much sense in this post... I certainly do think I'd carry a 36 more than a 30, when you get right down to it. And it is true that an extra mag for the 36 would be less cumbersome than a 30 mag. Hmm... to the gun shop, I guess.

English
03-19-2012, 10:38
The 36 is 1.13 wide and the 30 is 1.27. That is a little less than one and a half tenths, which isn't much. The 19, 23 and 32 are all 1.18 wide and that is just half a tenth of an inch and that really isn't much at all so the width, as such, can't be significant. The length of the 36 is less than a tenth less and the height is a quarter inch less than the 19/23/32. These are all insignificant differences. The weight of the 23 with fully loaded magazine is about 30oz. The weight of the 36, fully loaded is about 28oz and most of that difference is in the loaded magazine. So the 36 is less that 7% lighter but the 23 has 13 rounds in the magazine and the 36 has 6. For its 1/10th of an inch greater length the 19/23/32 has a quarter inch longer barrel and, as the cartridge is shorter than the .45 the effective legth is greater still.

As BamaTrooper has pointed out, it seems to be the butt heaviness of the 30 that makes it a little less comfortable. That might be reduced with the right holster but for 7 extra rounds, I'd live with it.

The fact that you are considering the 36 at all suggests that you want more "power" per shot. Personally, I think that the .40S&W has at least as much and that the 357SIG has more effectiveness per shot than the .45. How well these choices fit your hand, you won't know untill you have shot them for a while but I think you should give serious consideration to the 32 and 23.

English

Inebriated
03-19-2012, 10:50
Not necessarily more power, but I have a lot of .45 ACP, it's what I shoot the most, and I'm about to start loading for it, so I'd like to stick with it in my carry gun. .357 Sig has been a consideration, but I don't know about it yet. .40 S&W just isn't for me. I'd rather get a 29 if I want a .40 caliber bullet going down range. 9mm is also a possibility, but again, I keep/shoot/practice with/load (soon) for .45.

58duck
03-19-2012, 11:09
Not necessarily more power, but I have a lot of .45 ACP, it's what I shoot the most, and I'm about to start loading for it, so I'd like to stick with it in my carry gun. .357 Sig has been a consideration, but I don't know about it yet. .40 S&W just isn't for me. I'd rather get a 29 if I want a .40 caliber bullet going down range. 9mm is also a possibility, but again, I keep/shoot/practice with/load (soon) for .45.
i started carrying lighter (9MM) but now have worked upward. i carry the Gen4 G23 (.40 S&W) everyday. to some people, it's a heavier gun. to me, it's comfortable. i'm moving up to carry the G30 in a few months when i have the funds. for me, the G30 fits my hand well and holds more rounds. i understand that i can use my G21 mags in it.
lastly, i feel more comfortably knowing that i am carrying a .45 ACP.
again, that's just me. others have different thoughts.

xmanhockey7
03-19-2012, 11:13

I disagree completely. I think if the person is going with a semi-auto Glock is a great choice. It's simple to use (no safety) and is easy to maintain.

rg1
03-19-2012, 19:47
Having had a G36 I would recommend the G30 specifically for the reliability of the pistol. Plus the capability of using G21 magazines. No problems with carry with the G30. Check the difference in the standard grip G30 and the G30 SF small frame to see which fits your hands and finger length the best.

Eric2340
03-20-2012, 07:34

While I COMPLETELY agree with this, weight would be more my concern.

I have had both a 30 and a 30SF, two 23s, and one 19.

I have always found the 23s and the 19 MUCH more comfortable to carry than either of my 30s, the 30s just weigh a TON for me. :(

Size wise, they're fine, if not just a hair smaller than the 23 and 19s, even w/ Pearce floor plates on the mags (I prefer the G29 nine round floor plate by Pearce on the 30s) the butt length of the 30 is just a hair shorter than either the 23 or 19, but just enough to be that much more comfortable for "me".

I even tried two or three different formats of carry with the 30s, OWB hip, fanny pack, large belt pouch (like a camera bag) and they ALWAYS just felt like too much weight for CCW. I think it really settles in once you add at least one spare mag, and maybe a flashlight too. Even the gun alone though is still a lot. :(

Now OPEN carry? That might be a different story, as that would make somethings a lot easier, plus not having to worry about keeping it covered constantly.

I can only imagine should holster carry would start to get to be too much after a while too.

Rick O'Shay
03-20-2012, 17:52
I'm 5'10" 180#, and the G30 is a range gun for me. Never tried to carry it, because it's so thick.
I have carried my G36, however. And it's quite comfortable, and concealable.

Inebriated
03-20-2012, 19:41
While I COMPLETELY agree with this, weight would be more my concern.

I have had both a 30 and a 30SF, two 23s, and one 19.

I have always found the 23s and the 19 MUCH more comfortable to carry than either of my 30s, the 30s just weigh a TON for me. :(

Size wise, they're fine, if not just a hair smaller than the 23 and 19s, even w/ Pearce floor plates on the mags (I prefer the G29 nine round floor plate by Pearce on the 30s) the butt length of the 30 is just a hair shorter than either the 23 or 19, but just enough to be that much more comfortable for "me".

I even tried two or three different formats of carry with the 30s, OWB hip, fanny pack, large belt pouch (like a camera bag) and they ALWAYS just felt like too much weight for CCW. I think it really settles in once you add at least one spare mag, and maybe a flashlight too. Even the gun alone though is still a lot. :(

Now OPEN carry? That might be a different story, as that would make somethings a lot easier, plus not having to worry about keeping it covered constantly.

I can only imagine should holster carry would start to get to be too much after a while too.
If I open carry, it'll be the Sigs or the G21. But you guys have me thinking a lot about the G36 with this weight business. I'm thinking I might rent one at the range soon, as well as a 30, and just see how I like the way each shoot, and I can try the 30 in one of my 21 holsters (OWB, but tight to the hip), and the 36 can sit in it just for the sake of weight comparison.

hi-power man
03-20-2012, 20:07
About 6 weeks ago I decided to EDC my 30 and put my 36 in the safe. This means 5 days a week, the other two I carry a 642. The 30 feels a bit heavier and thicker but it is not at all uncomfortable. Concealability is the same, I wear the same clothes with the 30 that I did with the 36. I'm using a Raven Concealment in an IWB set up for the 30 and a Comp-Tac Infidel for the 36.

madcitycop
03-21-2012, 16:39
I miss my 36

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

EL COLONEL
03-21-2012, 17:10
The 36 lighter and more comfortable and skinnier .... :whistling:

MLittle
03-21-2012, 18:29
Sure, weight and thickness are important factors when choosing a concealed carry pistol, but no one has mentioned what I believe to be the most important considerations. That is.....how the pistol fits your hand and how well you shoot each. I would recommend you do what I did when I was trying to make a decision between the G30 and G36. I rented both pistols and put 100 rounds through each. Trust me, if you do the same thing, you will have a clear favorite between the two pistols. I don't want to influence you in this decision, so won't tell you what I went with. The Glock I chose is on my hip as I type this message......

hunter 111
03-22-2012, 04:01
Sure, weight and thickness are important factors when choosing a concealed carry pistol, but no one has mentioned what I believe to be the most important considerations. That is.....how the pistol fits your hand and how well you shoot each. I would recommend you do what I did when I was trying to make a decision between the G30 and G36. I rented both pistols and put 100 rounds through each. Trust me, if you do the same thing, you will have a clear favorite between the two pistols. I don't want to influence you in this decision, so won't tell you what I went with. The Glock I chose is on my hip as I type this message......

Not really . CCW weapons never have fit the hand well. From the days of J Frame S&W five shots with tinnie tiny grips to today a CCW weapon will have grip issues that one learns to overcome . Small has the inherent issue of "not feeling good."

I carry concealed no really concealed , if in a situation where I might be forced to use it I do not want to be singled out by the bad guy as a threat because I have a bulge on my hip .

Smaller is better , fit is going to be a secondary issue that one has to learn to deal with - it is not a target gun after all.
YMMV

EMS Guru
03-22-2012, 11:52
I have several Glocks including the G-30. The 30 is a little thicker in comparison to the 36 but it was noticeable to me. I have since sold my 30 and purchased a 36 and love it. The mag only hold 6 rounds vs 10 rounds but after all it is a .45 and I am very happy with the 36.

English
03-22-2012, 12:59
I have several Glocks including the G-30. The 30 is a little thicker in comparison to the 36 but it was noticeable to me. I have since sold my 30 and purchased a 36 and love it. The mag only hold 6 rounds vs 10 rounds but after all it is a .45 and I am very happy with the 36.

How very enigmatic! If you did not notice the extra thickness, why did you change from 30 to 36?

English
03-22-2012, 13:20
The 36 lighter and more comfortable and skinnier .... :whistling:

If i add bits to my post 22 to include weight and dimensions of the 36:

The 36 is 1.13 wide and the 30 is 1.27. That is a little less than one and a half tenths, which isn't much. The loaded G36 is about 28oz but the G30 is only just below 34oz, so that is quite a big difference even though you get 4 more rounds in the butt. The lengths and heights are identical, so the real differences are 6oz and 4 rounds.

The 19, 23 and 32 are all 1.18 wide. That is just half a tenth of an inch wider than the 36 and that really isn't much at all so the width, as such, can't be significant. The length of the 36 is less than a tenth less and the height is a quarter inch less than the 19/23/32. These are all insignificant differences. The weight of the 23 with fully loaded magazine is about 30oz. The weight of the 36, fully loaded is about 28oz and most of that difference is in the loaded magazine. So the 36 is less that 7% lighter but the 23 has 13 rounds in the magazine and the 36 has 6. For its 1/10th of an inch greater length the 19/23/32 has a quarter inch longer barrel and, as the cartridge is shorter than the .45 the effective barrel length is greater still.

As BamaTrooper has pointed out, it seems to be the butt heaviness of the 30 that makes it a little less comfortable. That might be reduced with the right holster but for 7 extra rounds, I'd live with it. Interestingly, the loaded magazine weights are the same for the G30, the G31 and the G23 so it looks as though the slide of the 30 is 4oz heavier than the 32 or 23.

The fact that you are considering the 36 at all suggests that you want more "power" per shot. Personally, I think that the .40S&W has at least as much and that the 357SIG has more effectiveness per shot than the .45. How well these choices fit your hand, you won't know untill you have shot them for a while but I think you should give serious consideration to the 32 and 23.

If you want lighter and smaller the 33 and 27 are way ahead of the 36 in everything except that 20th of an inch thickness. To me the real conclusion is that if you want easy carryability and concealment you should not be looking at the .45ACP.

English

nelsone
03-22-2012, 22:16
It sure is interesting reading all these varied opinions....

For me, the G36 (on my hip right now) is the only Glock that I could carry IWB. That thickness difference that others dismiss as insignificant makes a world of difference to me. I looked at the G30 and it seemed to fit in between the G21 and the G36 in an application that I just don't need. Anywhere that I could carry a G30, I can carry a G21 instead. I'm in a cold climate - it snowed last night! - so cover garments work here for most of the year. Now weight is always a concern, so I generally wear suspenders (concealed, not farmboy style) when I'm carrying the G21SF OWB, and it's not a problem.

For normal carry, the G36 is more than enough firepower, and four more rounds makes so little difference to me that I could just as easily make the case that the G30 is inadequate compared to the G21!

But the real shortcoming of the G30 compared to the G21 is its barrel length, which can have a significant impact on muzzle energy, especially shooting +P. And I don't have to tell you how much easier it is to shoot the big, heavy G21 compared to the much lighter G30.

So for me the G30 fit into a niche that I just didn't need. I can have 'forget-it's-there' comfort with the G36, or a whole different kind of comfort with the G21SF.

mj9mm
03-22-2012, 23:05
i value all that has been said about size, weight distribution, magazine weight and on and on. simple truth is until you try to carry each one for 4hrs or more, you can't begin to realize how it will feel for you. i traded a perfectly good 30sf with night sights that i felt confident with my shooting abilities for a kahr cw45 because the kahr is alot thinner, about an inch thick, boy do i miss the glock. i am know thinking of finding a deal on a 36, if i can even find one now. the 30sf was too much for me to carry comfortably and showed to much under a normal shirt, but the 36 is in between the cw45 and the g30.