New upper for S&W sport [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New upper for S&W sport

biscotrip
03-19-2012, 10:37
So ive been thinking of getting a new upper for my sport that has a dust cover. Two questions:

1.) What is a good but not too expensive upper? Something just to kinda upgrade.

2.) Will all of my internals that i have now be able to be used in the new upper or do i have to buy a complete upper?

Im new to AR's so please dont bash me too hard.

WoodenPlank
03-19-2012, 13:08
Most any forged, stripped receiver will be good to go. If you get one stripped, you'll need the small parts for the dust cover and forward assist. PSA sells them with those parts already assembled for around $100.

Yes, you can transfer over your barrel, bolt, etc. However, unless you have a bit of experience with ARs, and the proper tools, you'd be better off taking it to a competent gunsmith and getting them to do the work for you.

Made Man
03-19-2012, 14:53
I plan on doing the same thing in the near future. Not as an upgrade, but more as a cosmetic thing. I like the look of the dust cover and FA, has more of a classic look in my opinion.

I sincerely believe that another upper receiver will not be an "upgrade" as the factory receiver is top shelf.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

nathanours
03-19-2012, 17:12
I plan on doing the same thing in the near future. Not as an upgrade, but more as a cosmetic thing. I like the look of the dust cover and FA, has more of a classic look in my opinion.

I sincerely believe that another upper receiver will not be an "upgrade" as the factory receiver is top shelf.

I've never heard anyone refer to S&W as "top shelf" regarding ar's.

WoodenPlank
03-19-2012, 17:16

I think he was more making a point that the S&W receivers are good quality, unless you wanna get into billet receivers.

Made Man
03-19-2012, 17:18

First time for everything. All smart a** remarks aside, I don't really know of any specification differences besides the DC & FA. It's an AR upper that works.

WoodenPlank
03-19-2012, 17:21
First time for everything. All smart a** remarks aside, I don't really know of any specification differences besides the DC & FA. It's an AR upper that works.

From what I have seen, the lack of dust cover is the only thing keeping the Sport from being one HELL of a gun for the money. I couldn't care less about toe forward assist, since the bolt carrier has one built in anyway. Plus, the FA on the upper can get you into more trouble if you don't know the proper time to use it.

Made Man
03-19-2012, 17:22
I think he was more making a point that the S&W receivers are good quality, unless you wanna get into billet receivers.

You know where I'm coming from Plank.

biscotrip
03-19-2012, 21:14
So where would a good place that has good prices on upper be to get one for my "cosmetic enhancements"

Made Man
03-19-2012, 22:11
There shouldn't be a wrong answer in theory. I could be wrong, but I was gonna splurge on DD or Vltor.

I hope my smart a** answers done more good than hurt.

nathanours
03-20-2012, 09:27
There shouldn't be a wrong answer in theory. I could be wrong, but I was gonna splurge on DD or Vltor.

I hope my smart a** answers done more good than hurt.

Someone is taking this a little too personally... :whistling: You yourself said you wanted to upgrade because of the DC and FA. If you've got a "top shelf" supper, why the desire to switch? I'm just making the point that since your upper lacks these, I wouldn't classify it as highly as one that had them... To be honest though, I've used the dust cover a lot when hiking, but never had to use the FA.

Made Man
03-20-2012, 09:42
Someone is taking this a little too personally... :whistling: You yourself said you wanted to upgrade because of the DC and FA. If you've got a "top shelf" supper, why the desire to switch? I'm just making the point that since your upper lacks these, I wouldn't classify it as highly as one that had them... To be honest though, I've used the dust cover a lot when hiking, but never had to use the FA.

I just like the look of the DC and FA. That's all.

fowler
03-20-2012, 19:55
I,d leave it alone there fine the way they are without the FA or dustcover. Its no more prone to problems than any other AR systems. AR problems are the same . They all poop where they eat. Just keep it clean and wet.

zhix
03-21-2012, 11:37
I wouldn't bother with it, by the the time you get the tools or pay a gunsmith, and spend $100 you could have bought a better rifle.

However, Tarpon Gunnery, who I have never heard of or used before, has PSA complete upper receivers for $80 plus shipping. (PSA,DSG,AIM, etc. all seem to be out of stock on receivers.)

You can also get an Aero Precision stripped receiver from surplus arms&ammo for $60 plus shipping, I'm not sure if it's cheaper to buy it that way and get the other small parts separately.