Glock-The Rise of America's Gun--have a new view on Glock [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock-The Rise of America's Gun--have a new view on Glock

cooden
03-19-2012, 10:48
I bought the book "Glock-The Rise of America's Gun". I am almost done reading the book, but there was a chapter that actually has been stuck in my mind. One of the chapters mentions how Gaston Glock thought of the Americans as stupid and thought of himself better than them. I have tried to Google this and find something that can contradict this, but as of yet, I can't find anything. While there is no denying that Gaston Glock created an awesome weapon & he had awesome foresight, his arrogant attitude really pissed me off. Yes, the LEO's, NATO & military purchased his guns from all over the world, but the real bread & butter was selling to the regular citizens of the US. I realize that Smith & Wesson was falling behind & they did get knocked down BUT they have gotten back up, dusted themselves off and the M&P line is giving Glock a serious run for their money. I look at it like Honda/Toyota vs The Big 3--the Big 3 are making a huge comeback with automobiles and posting awesome sales.

Anyone else read this book & feel this way?

I learned on a Glock, I think it is an awesome pistol but it isn't the only pistol out there. I love M&P's, but choose the Glock because of the preban option. I am almost ready to give up the prebans and go back to M&P. I drive Chevy's, maybe it's time I switch to shooting M&P's.

danielspdx
03-19-2012, 11:15
I bought and read this book a number of weeks ago, and have a few lingering thoughts. The book portrayed him as a xenophobic, micromanaging, brilliant egomaniac. Personally, I don't care about that. Also, it seems the company has thrived despite the leadership, due to having a strong product and excellent marketing.

Perhaps the biggest lingering thought I have is about the author. He supports any number of gun control positions and blurs the line between fact and fiction and passes his opinion as fact.

The book, I thought, was a light entertaining read with the exception of the last two chapters, which are blatant gun control propaganda.

Boats
03-19-2012, 13:36
I share Glock's sentiments that at least the Americans who bought his pistol are suckers.

Glocks are the Ruger handguns of the EU. Look like crap. Feel cheap. But hey, they work.

P.T. Barnum was right.

Bimmer1
03-19-2012, 16:18
I share Glock's sentiments that at least the Americans who bought his pistol are suckers.

Glocks are the Ruger handguns of the EU. Look like crap. Feel cheap. But hey, they work.

P.T. Barnum was right.

Was he?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There%27s_a_sucker_born_every_minute

Boats
03-19-2012, 17:04
Was he?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There%27s_a_sucker_born_every_minute

That wasn't exactly a refutation, but nonetheless if you want an unambiguously attributed quote that arrives at the same destination, I present to you one H.L. Mencken, who can explain domestic Glock sales:

"No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."

LASTRESORT20
03-19-2012, 17:08
I bought and read this book a number of weeks ago, and have a few lingering thoughts. The book portrayed him as a xenophobic, micromanaging, brilliant egomaniac. Personally, I don't care about that. Also, it seems the company has thrived despite the leadership, due to having a strong product and excellent marketing.

Perhaps the biggest lingering thought I have is about the author. He supports any number of gun control positions and blurs the line between fact and fiction and passes his opinion as fact.

The book, I thought, was a light entertaining read with the exception of the last two chapters, which are blatant gun control propaganda.

Well done sir!

Metal Angel
03-19-2012, 17:26
That's too bad. Sounds like gaston is a ****** bag. Probably won't change my opinion about the firearms themselves. I do think glock is gonna have to do something different here before long because they really haven't changed in 25 years and there are tons of other competitive options for LE. Honestly if I didn't know anything about guns and I walked into a gunshop I would probably see glocks as overpriced, under designed, and completely behind the competition.

...wait, why do I like glocks again?

Luvdux
03-19-2012, 18:17
That's too bad. Sounds like gaston is a ****** bag. Probably won't change my opinion about the firearms themselves. I do think glock is gonna have to do something different here before long because they really haven't changed in 25 years and there are tons of other competitive options for LE. Honestly if I didn't know anything about guns and I walked into a gunshop I would probably see glocks as overpriced, under designed, and completely behind the competition.

...wait, why do I like glocks again?

Really. Cause I walk into the gun store and see two types of automatic hand guns. 1911's and guns that look like a glock. Sure there are a few older designs that are still around but not much else. And anything that does not look glockish is way more expensive than a glock.