Which should I get? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Which should I get?

jcbarlow
03-19-2012, 12:26
This is a stupid question, but I'm asking it more to get other's ideas rather than have you all decide for me. I'm thinking of my ideal pistol and these are the characteristics I've come up with:

Full-sized frame with at least a 4.5" long barrel
Short trigger length for my short fingers (or available after-market mods to make it that way)
Same weight trigger pull every time
Alloy or steel frame - no plastic (but see below)
9mm to .45 ACP (prefer .40) as long as it holds more than 10 rounds
Available rimfire conversion kits
Major, reliable manufacturer
Cost no more than $1,000

Based on these characteristics, I've come up with the following guns:

CZ 75B .40S&W
Browning Hi-Power
1911-type gun
Glock 35
Glock 20

The reason I list the glocks (even though they don't make all the criteria), is that's my current platform. I've liked glocks but they don't give me the same pride in ownership I think I would have with the others.

I know I have too much time on my hands and I should spend more time shooting and less time thinking, but I thought I would at least get other's opinions.

Thanks! :wavey:

20SFLV
03-19-2012, 12:37
This is a stupid question, but I'm asking it more to get other's ideas rather than have you all decide for me. I'm thinking of my ideal pistol and these are the characteristics I've come up with:

Full-sized frame with at least a 4.5" long barrel
Short trigger length for my short fingers (or available after-market mods to make it that way)
Same weight trigger pull every time
Alloy or steel frame - no plastic (but see below)
9mm to .45 ACP (prefer .40) as long as it holds more than 10 rounds
Available rimfire conversion kits
Major, reliable manufacturer
Cost no more than $1,000

Based on these characteristics, I've come up with the following guns:

CZ 75B .40S&W
Browning Hi-Power
1911-type gun
Glock 35
Glock 20

The reason I list the glocks (even though they don't make all the criteria), is that's my current platform. I've liked glocks but they don't give me the same pride in ownership I think I would have with the others.

I know I have too much time on my hands and I should spend more time shooting and less time thinking, but I thought I would at least get other's opinions.

Thanks! :wavey:

CZ 75B. I have it in 9mm with the .22LR conversion kit. Big gun, and it is very accurate. The 9mm magazines hold 15 or 17 rounds (17 I believe) while the .22LR magazines only only 10 rounds for some reason. I don't know how the .40 S&W version is, but I highly recommend the CZ. I had zero recoil with the .22LR (not difficult to understand why with such a steel frame), and almost none with 124 grain 9mm. It was a pleasure to shoot. Gun isn't light though, and the worst part is the take down pin. Not too hard to do it, but I am not a big fan of that part of the design.

TN.Frank
03-19-2012, 12:38
My vote is for a full size 1911a1 in 45acp but you'd need a "special" magazine in order to get 10+1 rounds out of it. Standard is 7 or 8 depending on which you like best.
Springfield Armory Range Officer is a nice looking gun and you can probably get into one for around $800 if you shop around. That'll leave $200 for mags, ammo, holster.

Rancher
03-19-2012, 12:44
Sig P226. Grip is big but one of mine has the "short trigger" on it. .22 conversions are available from Sig.

Handle all you like and get the one that feels best to you in your hands. Everybody is different.

Rancher

D3S3RT_P3NGU1N
03-19-2012, 13:10
For $1000 you could get a CZ and have it worked on by the guys at CZ Custom. Their work is absolutely fantastic, I've yet to come across anyone who wasn't impressed by them.

http://czcustom.com/index.aspx

For a little over your budget you could get a CZ 75 Tactical Sport, which is an amazing pistol for the $$$

http://czcustom.com/CZ-75-Tactical-Sports-40SandW.aspx

jcbarlow
03-19-2012, 16:53
Thanks for all the replies. I have been looking pretty closely at the CZ. I've shot the .40 and liked it a lot. It's good to hear the rimfire conversion works well. I'm kind of leaning that way right now.

I want to like the Sigs, but I'm not a huge fan of the DA/SA. Coming from a glock background, I really want to have the same trigger pull each time. The CZ allows for a cocked/locked setup which makes it a viable SA option.