38 Followup [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 38 Followup

Illini38
03-19-2012, 16:49
Mas,

I hope things are well. In my post a couple weeks ago, I had asked if you were aware of any shootings with the Winchester PDX1 in their 38+P 130 grain load. Wasn't sure if you had heard of any departments adopting this load. For my own purposes, I found some 135 grain Gold Dot Short Barrels at a large gun shop south of Charlotte last week. Gotta love it when you pull over to get caffeine at a gas station on a trip and notice a nice big gun shop next door. Haha. Anyhow I know some folks in Illinois that can't find the Gold Dot Short Barrel, but seem to find that PDX1 readily available at places like Dick's Sporting Goods.

I was just curious if you knew anything about the load and its track record/performance, particularly out of snubs. To my untrained eye, bullet design appears similar to the Gold Dot.

Thanks again for sharing your expertise.

Best,
Byron

Mas Ayoob
03-19-2012, 17:14
I only have one reliably-reported case of the 130-grain Winchester .38 Special load in action, and it seems to have worked quite well there.

You might want to ask on Caliber Corner, with specific shoutouts to Glock Talk members Fastbolt and Hotpig. Fastbolt is recently retired California LE, has monitored testing with the load you're asking about, and often carries it himself. If it's on the bid list for CA LE, there will be shooting cases cropping up with it involving off duty and backup .38s, and he's in a position to be on top of that. Hotpig sells Winchester ammo and I'm sure gets a lot of feedback. Both are very sharp guys with solid info.

best,
Mas

Illini38
03-19-2012, 18:53
Thanks for your response, Mas, and the referral to your friends.

Take care,
Byron