ATK secures contract with DHS for 450 million rounds of .40-cal [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : ATK secures contract with DHS for 450 million rounds of .40-cal

racer88
03-19-2012, 17:31
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/atk...k=MW_news_stmp (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/atk-secures-40-caliber-ammunition-contract-with-department-of-homeland-security-us-immigration-and-customs-enforcement-dhs-ice-2012-03-12?reflink=MW_news_stmp)

ATK Wins Five-Year, Indefinite Delivery/Indefinite Quantity Contract for .40 Caliber Ammunition from DHS, ICE --Additional .40 Caliber Ammunition Contract with 450 Million Round Potential Demonstrates ATK's Leadership in Ammunition Manufacturing

OK... discuss! (I guess we can count on not seeing any HST ammo anywhere for.... forever. Glad I stocked up!)

Another thing that makes you go, "hmmmmm".... Why does DHS need 450 million rounds of ammo??

joecoastie
03-19-2012, 17:35
Another thing that makes you go, "hmmmmm".... Why does DHS need 450 million rounds of ammo??

Uhhh, maybe so we can go to the range and train and maintain qualifications. Honestly we need all the ammo they can afford to give us.

SickShot
03-19-2012, 18:00
So much for hoping we go to the .357sig round:crying:

WoodenPlank
03-19-2012, 18:13
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/atk...k=MW_news_stmp (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/atk-secures-40-caliber-ammunition-contract-with-department-of-homeland-security-us-immigration-and-customs-enforcement-dhs-ice-2012-03-12?reflink=MW_news_stmp)

ATK Wins Five-Year, Indefinite Delivery/Indefinite Quantity Contract for .40 Caliber Ammunition from DHS, ICE --Additional .40 Caliber Ammunition Contract with 450 Million Round Potential Demonstrates ATK's Leadership in Ammunition Manufacturing

OK... discuss! (I guess we can count on not seeing any HST ammo anywhere for.... forever. Glad I stocked up!)

I'd bet it's going to be Gold Dot, not HST, personally. ATK owns both Federal and Speer.

HKLovingIT
03-19-2012, 18:43
It says in the details it is a base 12 month contract with 4 option years. Indefinite delivery date, indefinite amount but not to exceed 450 million rounds. They may buy 10 rounds or up to 450 million.

Sounds more like an open order contract to buy as much as they want during the time of the contract, but not to exceed 450 million rounds at the agreed price. ATK was already the supplier on the previous contract so it's kind of like a renewal.

It also says in the article that it is for HST.

"This contract features a base of 12 months, includes four option years, and will have a maximum volume of 450 million rounds. ATK was the incumbent and won the contract with its HST bullet, which has proven itself in the field. "

So let's do some math:

450 million / 5 years = 90 million rounds per year

DHS is about 200,000 people. ICE has about 20,000

Let's pick a number out of the air and say that there are 10,000 that carry weapons.

90 million (per year) / 10,000 agents = 9000 rounds per agent, per year for qualification, training, field use and accounting for bad lots of ammo, loss, theft, fire, etc. According to the ever accruate Wikipedia they are switching to the HK UMP in .40 so I'm sure that will burn up a lot of ammo.

Anyway, that's 9000 rounds per agent a year, assuming they choose to purchase the maximum amount allowed in the contract.

Hell I go shooting more than that each year. :dunno:

If you want to pick a big number and say that out of the 200,000 that work in DHS, 50,000 people qualify, train and shoot that works out to 1800 rounds per agent each year.

Either way it doesn't seem like all that much considering how fast you can go through a couple hundred rounds at the range. I rather the .gov spent my tax contributions on this as opposed to EBT cards.

Now ATK may make too much one year based on what they bought the prior year or some slightly off spec that gets rejected. So there you go, surplus HST in plain white box shows up at Cabelas.

fastbolt
03-20-2012, 14:31
Also, when you consider training outside of in-service qual venues (academy type, joint training, firearms instructor training/updates, etc), as well as repair/function testing ammunition requirements, what ordinarily might sound like an excessive number of purchased/inventoried rounds can become drained faster than you might expect. ;)

Apetrulis01
03-20-2012, 15:13
450 million. Looks like they are ready for the Zombies. That is enough ammo to take care of every zombie in America.........hahahah

WoodenPlank
03-20-2012, 15:31
450 million. Looks like they are ready for the Zombies. That is enough ammo to take care of every zombie in America.........hahahah

Have you seen the way (most) cops shoot? They'd need to increase that by a factor of 10-20 for a zombie apocalypse. :rofl:

cowboy1964
03-20-2012, 15:33
I'd bet it's going to be Gold Dot, not HST, personally. ATK owns both Federal and Speer.

All the stories have already made the point that it's the HST bullet.

vafish
03-20-2012, 16:10
Dhs includes customs, border patrol, usss, tsa, fps, and coast guard.

They have more armed agents then doj.

450 million rounds over 5 years is probably 1,000 rounds per armed agent.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

TN.Frank
03-20-2012, 16:18
What, they couldn't go to WalMart like the rest of us do?:rofl:

WoodenPlank
03-20-2012, 17:04
All the stories have already made the point that it's the HST bullet.

Yeah, it's my fault for not reading the actual article, and jumping ton conclusions. Oh well... :whistling:

brisk21
03-20-2012, 22:27
Wow. I work in Corrections and we get about 17 rounds every year to "re-qualify". What an f-n joke.

m2hmghb
03-20-2012, 22:50

Ding ding ding we have a winner!

jp3975
03-20-2012, 22:56
Most will probably go to the drug cartels.

joecoastie
03-21-2012, 04:19

No that makes too much sense, its got to be part of a conspiracy. :supergrin:

joecoastie
03-21-2012, 04:20
Most will probably go to the drug cartels.

We leave that kind of thing to the BATFE.

vafish
03-21-2012, 05:14
It's also an IDIQ contract so they don't have to buy all 450 million rounds.

ATK just has to be prepared to supply that much ammo.